rocketPower
Topic Author

MRJ is now the Space Jet

Fri May 31, 2019 5:18 am

Am I the only one flabbergasted by this branding change?

Certainly deserves it's own topic. Maybe some branding experts can weigh in?

https://airlinerwatch.com/mitsubishi-ai ... t-variant/
rocketPower

Life is about enjoying being uncomfortable. If you're complacent, something is wrong!

WN732

Re: MRJ is now the Space Jet

Fri May 31, 2019 5:21 am

And they are also trying to squeeze into the 70 seat market. Now that could get very interesting. But of course, it could take them 20 years to EIS so who knows.

SierraPacific

Fri May 31, 2019 5:25 am

Does SkyWest still have their order on the books or has it been canceled? Wikipedia is still showing it on the books (never trust Wikipedia)

ikolkyo

Fri May 31, 2019 6:00 am

lol what.... I gotta be honest, I usually don’t complain about brand changes, livery changes and whatnot but this is bad. So bad.
Last edited by ikolkyo on Fri May 31, 2019 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

aviationaware

Fri May 31, 2019 6:10 am

Well they have the Space Wagon so now they have the Space Jet as well. Only logical I guess.

rlwynn

Fri May 31, 2019 6:55 am

Also
Space Gear
Space Runner
Space Star
I can drive faster than you

c933103

Fri May 31, 2019 6:58 am

Official reason being the word "regional" feel limited whereas the word "space" indicate the spacious interior it offer to passengers.
But that couldn't explain why they are removing the word Mitsubishi there, maybe they're trying to find a new owner for the program and want to make it easier by removing their own branding from the aircraft name?
Last time when Japan develop the YS11 there were also some branding changes by airlines on the model but that's only because of record of accidents on the aircraft but the situation here is rather different.
On Japanese websites there are also quite a bit of negative opinion on the new branding, other than the removal of the Japanese brand name and that it is a meaningless work that is unlikely to generate benefits that can outweigh the effort of doing so, others think the new name is too generic, make people associate the aircraft model as if something like a spaceship or a theme park attraction, and there are also opinion criticizing the sense of naming things using random combination of foreign words that only make sense to themselves.
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

Waterbomber2

Fri May 31, 2019 7:11 am

c933103 wrote:
Official reason being the word "regional" feel limited whereas the word "space" indicate the spacious interior it offer to passengers.
But that couldn't explain why they are removing the word Mitsubishi there, maybe they're trying to find a new owner for the program and want to make it easier by removing their own branding from the aircraft name?
Last time when Japan develop the YS11 there were also some branding changes by airlines on the model but that's only because of record of accidents on the aircraft but the situation here is rawsther different.
On Japanese websites there are also quite a bit of negative opinion on the new branding, other than the removal of the Japanese brand name and that it is a meaningless work that is unlikely to generate benefits that can outweigh the effort of doing so, others think the new name is too generic, make people associate the aircraft model as if something like a spaceship or a theme park attraction, and there are also opinion criticizing the sense of naming things using random combination of foreign words that only make sense to themselves.

Can you point to the Japanese websites in question?

I'm in the camp that thinks that MRJ was a stupid name to begin with, given that it sounds like the word emergency.

But Spacejet and such a drastic name change this late into the program?
It sounds too much like the Superjet, a failing indigenous RJ program. So it looks like they are vying to be associated with thay failure.

And why are they waking up now to make changes to accommodate scope clauses?

Which potato farmer is running this freak show program?

By the time their Spacejet 75 is ready to deliver, scope clauses are going to be changed if they don't start cutting metal.

Start messing around, start delivering.
Last edited by Waterbomber2 on Fri May 31, 2019 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

c933103

Fri May 31, 2019 7:17 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Last time when Japan develop the YS11 there were also some branding changes by airlines on the model but that's only because of record of accidents on the aircraft but the situation here is rawsther different.

* Actually, I mean Japanese websites that aggregate comments from Japanese Twitter: http://blog.livedoor.jp/ninji/archives/53410103.html
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

impilot

Fri May 31, 2019 7:18 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

I'm in the camp that thinks that MRJ was a stupid name to start with, given that it sounds like the word emergency.

And why are they waking up now to make changes to accommodate scope clauses?

Who the freak is running this program?

At least they are realizing they need to make it scope compliant jet...unlike their Brazilian counterparts who are making a 98,767lb paperweight.

Edit since you edited yours: I don’t see scope changing. If they started cutting metal they’d have a bunch of planes sitting around, unsold.

Waterbomber2

Fri May 31, 2019 8:07 am

c933103 wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

* Actually, I mean Japanese websites that aggregate comments from Japanese Twitter: http://blog.livedoor.jp/ninji/archives/53410103.html

Thanks for this.
I liked this comment in particular.

決定権のある今の50-60代の戦後団塊世代の和製英語多用含めたセンスのなさに失望する。こいつらが日本をダメにして来たんだな

Translated:
This post-war generation of 50-60 years old executives, with their hopeless Japanenglish nonsense, they are the ones who have been ruining Japan.

Japan needs to wake up.
A grossly failing and corrupt justice system with Nissan white knight Ghosn jailed, a faltering and sluggish transport system, corruption in the construction sector resulting in public infrastructure budgets twice of the U.S., major corruption and price-fixing discovered even on the assignment of construction for the new Chuo Shinkansen line.

It's time for Japan to get back on track and this RJ program is an opportunity to do that.

Within the program it's time for competent leadership, a credible product placement strategy and focus on deliveries.

Additional seats can be gained without major modifications. If they want to launch a 12F/64Y jet, be my guest but don't compromise the schedule for the variants that are already in the pipeline.

It's time for competence in program execution and not the time to start freaking out about names just because Boeing and Sukhoi have had high profile crashes.
Last edited by Waterbomber2 on Fri May 31, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

anshabhi

Fri May 31, 2019 8:13 am

This would be so confusing - SpiceJet and Spacejet :rotfl:

Imagine SpiceJet operating the SpaceJet

SpaceJet sounds like the name of SpaceX's solution for human cryogenic fuel propelled rocket flights

ITB

Fri May 31, 2019 8:17 am

impilot wrote:

At least they are realizing they need to make it scope compliant jet...unlike their Brazilian counterparts who are making a 98,767lb paperweight.

Edit since you edited yours: I don’t see scope changing. If they started cutting metal they’d have a bunch of planes sitting around, unsold.

The Standard and ER versions of the MRJ70 are scope compliant, but the LR version is too heavy. However, the main challenge is the aircraft seats only 69 in a two-class configuration (6J + 60Y) or 76 in a one-class configuration. The new design to be announced at PAS19 will likely introduce a "refreshed" aircraft that will seat 76 in a three-class configuration and be scope compliant in weight.

Link: MRJ specs https://www.flythemrj.com/aircraft/

As for the brand change to SpaceJet (and I believe there will be no space between "Space" and "Jet"), it's OK but not anything special. I would have preferred a branding something along the lines of MJets, such as:

MJ100 (the smaller variant)
MJ200 (the larger)

With the MJet brand, strong alliteration in marketing would have been possible:

• Modern
• Matchless
• Muscular
• Majestic
• Mesmerizing
• Making A Difference
• Memorable
• Momentous ... and, of course ... MITSUBISHI

MKD72

Fri May 31, 2019 8:45 am

What is next , Outlander?

smokeybandit

Fri May 31, 2019 9:15 am

Will they have Space Truckers and Space Cowboys too?

c933103

Fri May 31, 2019 9:48 am

Actually it seems like there are more to the story.

Initially, it was Nikkei who reported the incident three days ago:
https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO45 ... 0C1TJ1000/ (Japanese version, with paywall)
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Compan ... -Space-Jet (English version, without paywall).

The report claim that they Mitsubishi will make drastic redesign to the aircraft model in order to make a new scope clause compliance design, switch from Japanese suppliers to American suppliers to cut cost, and also push the 70-seat-class design type certification date to 2022 and beyond.
Apparently the report have created quite a bit shock that both Mitsubishi HI and Mitsubishi Aviation have to issue a clarification on their respective website, saying that "there are indeed something to be announced, however the media report is incorrect, and we are still currently focusing on the development of MRJ90". Then they announce the rebranding now, but there're rumors that they originally intended to announce the rebranding on the Paris Air Show, yet after those media reports they have to announce the plan now, probably to clear things up.: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/byline/nakamur ... -00128095/
One of the most important thing in the original Nikkei report was the shifting some parts production form Japan to America. If this is indeed the case, and also if they are also prioritizing the development of a new scope clause compliant aircraft over the MRJ90, and also changing the name to drop the "Mitsubishi" name from the aircraft model name, then it is opined that it might be seen as effective death of the made in Japan aircraft program, and that would make the earlier Japanese government decision to partially fund such a project become questionable.
Also, local business (small and large companies alike, and also regional governments) in the central Japan area could also be hit by the decision if Mitsubishi designed to shift some of their part production to America, which could even damage the overall economic environment in the central Japan area.

downdata

Fri May 31, 2019 11:36 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

I'm in the camp that thinks that MRJ was a stupid name to begin with, given that it sounds like the word emergency.

It won't sound like "emergency" if you don't try to insert random vowels into acronyms that don't have vowels in them...

Bricktop

Fri May 31, 2019 11:41 am

anshabhi wrote:
This would be so confusing - SpiceJet and Spacejet :rotfl:

Especially with a strong Aussie accent.

MIflyer12

Fri May 31, 2019 11:58 am

It's just a model name. It's not an outstandingly bad name, like Flaming Tube of Death.

Dutchy

Fri May 31, 2019 12:00 pm

So that's why the prototype is in The Netherlands, Maastricht: to be repainted for the Paris airshow.

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... -nederland
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

CaptCoolHand

Fri May 31, 2019 12:26 pm

MRJ looks like a 190 with a gulf stream pointy end.

Totally useless Post. Sorry. Made me laugh.

Redd

Fri May 31, 2019 12:32 pm

smokeybandit wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think Space Jet refers to space as volume, or capacity, not outer space. Implying it's a jet with lots of space, like the 727 was called the Whisper Jet.

LTU932

Fri May 31, 2019 12:55 pm

Space Jet? Does that mean I can finally book my flight to the Moon with PanAm?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Varsity1

Fri May 31, 2019 1:01 pm

Space jet? Like Space Shuttle?
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

EvanWSFO

Fri May 31, 2019 1:02 pm

If they make a military version, the U.S. could buy it for our future Space Force. :wave:
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

EMBSPBR

Fri May 31, 2019 10:37 pm

SpaceJet ???
Could be this one the new project ??? :hyper:

9Patch

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:50 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
It sounds too much like the Superjet, a failing indigenous RJ program. So it looks like they are vying to be associated with thay failure.

It sounds like SpiceJet to me.

9Patch

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:53 am

smokeybandit wrote:

Space Cadets?

Devilfish

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:50 am

WN732 wrote:
And they are also trying to squeeze into the 70 seat market.

ikolkyo wrote:
I usually don’t complain about brand changes, livery changes and whatnot but this is bad. So bad.

Maybe they are just "SPACED OUT" :confused:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

AWACSooner

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:39 am

there’s a “space pants” joke hidden here somewhere

RJMAZ

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:57 am

When Japan struggles to produce a small regional jet it makes us realise how good Airbus and Boeing are.

TWA772LR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:55 am

Heres the official song of the Space Jet.
https://youtu.be/J9FImc2LOr8
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:56 am

Varsity1 wrote:
Space jet? Like Space Shuttle?

No it's obviously closer to Eagle 5.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

mga707

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:33 am

Redd wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think Space Jet refers to space as volume, or capacity, not outer space. Implying it's a jet with lots of space, like the 727 was called the Whisper Jet.

Of course, just as Western called their DC-10 the SpaceShip.

holczakker

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:37 am

There will be man on the moon again before this öné carries the first revenue passengers (if ever).

Aesma

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:30 am

Space is becoming exciting again, with SpaceX, Blue Origins, etc. So naming something "space" without actually meaning "space" is a very bad marketing idea.

Also they want to imply it's roomy, but are redesigning it completely (again) to change its size and cram more passengers into the smaller one ? Good for them ridicule can't kill ya ! Wait a minute, in Japan it used to, actually.

If the main/only market for the aircraft is the US, they should have had a plan for that, including having significant manufacturing there. The Japanese are used to doing that. Now with Trump, they're even more screwed !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

SEU

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:17 am

The name MRJ sounded nice and had something going for it. I dont get why? Is it now the Mitsubishi Space Jet 70?

LockheedBBD

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:25 pm

Maybe the "Space" in Space Jet refers to how spacious the cabin is supposed to be (what marketing wants you to think)?

ODwyerPW

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:01 pm

Well, At last we know what the USA's "Space Force" will use for "Space Troop" Transport.
:airplane:
learning never stops.

mga707

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:49 pm

LockheedBBD wrote:
Maybe the "Space" in Space Jet refers to how spacious the cabin is supposed to be (what marketing wants you to think)?

Of course that is the idea! Why is this even under discussion? A 'well, duh!' if there ever was one.

mercure1

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:15 pm

SCOPE-JET :fight:
mercure f-wtcc

PlanesNTrains

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:16 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
there’s a “space pants” joke hidden here somewhere

Why’s Gwen Stefani hanging around with Space Pants?
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

CaptainWannabe

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:25 pm

aviationaware wrote:
Well they have the Space Wagon so now they have the Space Jet as well. Only logical I guess.

Beat me to it!

Waterbomber2

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:21 pm

Something occurred to me.
Perhaps Toyota is going to take the project over from MHI to avoid conflicts of interest between MHI and Boeing / Boeing Brasil and also inject additional funds into the project?
It also makes sense from a logistics point of view. Toyota has a huge logistics network which would be essential for supporting the aircraft in service.
In that light, it makes sense to remove the Mitsubishi name.
Toyota is also keen on local production, so that may explain the sudden interest in opening assembly plants in the U.S.
I could be wrong but this would explain a lot of things.
Toyota already owns a 10% share in MITAC and they have the capital to push this through.

Devilfish

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:23 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
In that light, it makes sense to remove the Mitsubishi name.

What... :?: ...and lose the best chance of my 'pie-in- the-sky' dream ever coming true..... :hissyfit: .....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5miireUYAAFnnh.jpg

LockheedBBD

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:47 am

aviationaware wrote:

Didn't realize that model existed. IMO, a more fitting name would have been the MRJ Evo (Evolution). :)

aviationaware

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:04 am

LockheedBBD wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

Didn't realize that model existed. IMO, a more fitting name would have been the MRJ Evo (Evolution). :)

I believe it was marketed as Chariot in the United States.

Devilfish

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:27 pm

LockheedBBD wrote:
IMO, a more fitting name would have been the MRJ Evo (Evolution).

Piaggio would sue the pants off of them :!: That should be an easy way to earn big bucks to get out of receivership. :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign:

http://www.avantievo.piaggioaerospace.it/

AirbusA6

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:04 am

There's something bizarre about expensive, sophisticated machines that will be bought after careful consideration by aviation professionals, being given the sort of branding you'd expect on products sold to consumers. Superjet... Space Jet but then Boeing and Airbus are just as bad with the 787 and A350 models starting at 8/800 instead of 100 or 200, and indeed the XWB branding!
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

LaunchDetected

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:51 am

AirbusA6 wrote:
There's something bizarre about expensive, sophisticated machines that will be bought after careful consideration by aviation professionals, being given the sort of branding you'd expect on products sold to consumers. Superjet... Space Jet but then Boeing and Airbus are just as bad with the 787 and A350 models starting at 8/800 instead of 100 or 200, and indeed the XWB branding!

What kind of name would you suggest?
Caravelle lover

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos