User avatar
Airbus747
Topic Author
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:18 am

Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 8:47 am

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKCN1T02RF

Climate activists from Extinction Rebellion are considering using drones to shut London’s Heathrow Airport this summer in a campaign against plans to build a third runway at Europe’s busiest airport, the group said on Thursday. (Quoted from Reuters article)


What are the toughest precautions airports and authorities can take against organized drone protests like these, which obviously constitute a major hazard to aviation?

Will they really shut down the airports?
 
FCAFLYBOY
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:03 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 8:52 am

Considering any sort of drone activity near an airfield is highly illegal within certain restricted airspace, the response will be robust.

Lessons were learnt after the LGW incidents I feel, and LHR is UK plc and I don’t think the Police/Army will hesitate to take swift action against anyone foolish enough to try this.

The irony is, such a protest will delay flights if they are successful and the required response will actually add to pollution if Police have to scramble helicopters, patrols, military support. Delayed aircraft sitting there burning tonnes of fuel etc...
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 2787
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 8:57 am

They can use the law and surveillance to catch perpetrators. There may need to be new laws brought in to regulate the use of drones.

Terrorist: a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

A suspected terrorist can be held for up to 14 days without charge in the UK.

Fred
Image
 
uta999
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:10 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 9:23 am

The badly managed events last December at LGW, have played into the hands of these Eco-terrorists. Has any aircraft ever been hit, engine shutdown or crashed, leading to injury or loss of life? NO.

The airflow will probably just divert it around and it will likely crash the drone to the ground.
Your computer just got better
 
TC957
Posts: 3445
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 9:34 am

There are warning signs around the LHR perimeter fence that drone usage WILL be met with a prosecution. So a great way to get a criminal record for anyone idiot enough to even think about doing this.
LHR is well patrolled by police and I doubt they'll even get one out of a box around the perimeter fence before being spotted doing so - maybe first by enthusiasts plane spotting alerting the police about it !
 
Arion640
Posts: 2372
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 10:13 am

The same clowns who are more than happy to eat their avocados flown in from around the world.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.
 
MileHFL400
Posts: 642
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 10:18 am

Hope they see some jail time for endangering lives
Thanks and best Regards
AA
 
ltbewr
Posts: 14168
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 10:38 am

First of all, such forms of protest are very counterproductive to their cause.
To me the best way to deal with the use of drones near airports is promote 'see something - say something' like we do as to seeing unattended backpacks or packages on trains, buses and in public spaces. We must encourage those that live, work or just around the areas of the airports who see someone operating drones report them to police or even take personal action to stop their operation.
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1375
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 10:42 am

Calling them activists is a badge of honor to these nutjobs. Terrorists plain and simple.
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1745
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 10:42 am

Arion640 wrote:
The same clowns who are more than happy to eat their avocados flown in from around the world.


Pets are FAR more harmful to the environment than air travel. Why aren't these people protesting at pet shows????
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1375
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 10:42 am

Arion640 wrote:
The same clowns who are more than happy to eat their avocados flown in from around the world.

Or jet off somewhere on vacation, no doubt.
 
Someone83
Posts: 4264
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 11:18 am

Climate activists....or climate terrorists?
 
Jetty
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 11:28 am

MileHFL400 wrote:
Hope they see some jail time for endangering lives

They don’t even need to. After their announcement they can just call in supposed drone sightings. From the governments reaction at what did or did not happen at LGW we know that they aren’t capable of dealing with this.
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 11:30 am

Wish they would push for a carbon tax instead of just a drone. Those planes bring in fresh produce for the country well since U.K. can't grow it all. There are different ways to protest because it is a real problem.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 2787
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 11:42 am

Jetty wrote:
FCAFLYBOY wrote:
Considering any sort of drone activity near an airfield is highly illegal within certain restricted airspace, the response will be robust.

Lessons were learnt after the LGW incidents I feel, and LHR is UK plc and I don’t think the Police/Army will hesitate to take swift action against anyone foolish enough to try this.

Seeing the lack of swift action against knife crime in the stabbing capital of Europe I see no reason to be as confident about the response of police as you are. Earlier climate protests were met by a partying police: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ircus.html

WTF are you talking about? You seem to have an axe to grind, and have used the default "I have an axe to grind" source for information.

Fred
Image
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1375
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 11:45 am

They should be shot with organic fair-trade rubber bullets. Sorry, they won't be locally grown though.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 2787
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 11:49 am

Bricktop wrote:
They should be shot with organic fair-trade rubber bullets. Sorry, they won't be locally grown though.


They should calculate the carbon footprint of carrying out the operation to prevent the use of drones at Heathrow and anyone who is arrested should be publicly labeled as being responsible for it.

Fred
Image
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9491
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am

I understand that you want to make a statement pro-climate and aviation isn't doing its part, but this is just stupid and dangerous, they shouldn't do it and they will receive severe penalties for doing so.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User001
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 12:15 pm

I suspect This is just attention seeking and probably lacks substance.

Reason I say that, is if you genuinely plan this sort of action, then rule number one, dont publish your plans. Just rock up and do it with a slight element of surprise.

All this has done is alert the authorities to the plan and they will position the resources accordingly. Unless, this is part of a ruse. Say you’ll get Heathrow, authorities pile in but actually go for Gatwick where there will now be less officers?
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 8301
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 1:17 pm

If the story is genuine they should be charged as terrorists and locked up in an undisclosed location.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 1:47 pm

If they actually do this, they're not activists any longer. They're terrorists.
 
IWMBH
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 1:49 pm

You spelled terrorists wrong.
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 1:56 pm

Dutchy wrote:
I understand that you want to make a statement pro-climate and aviation isn't doing its part, but this is just stupid and dangerous, they shouldn't do it and they will receive severe penalties for doing so.


Agreed.

This sort of stunt will not gain public support and environmental groups need public support.
 
LovePrunesAnet
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 9:09 pm

Good rule of thumb: If you have to hide your face as you carry out your "resisting" and "protest", you're on the wrong side. Climate alarmists, antifa, occupy, arnarchists, KKK, etc. We are so done with you! Please go away.
 
User avatar
NYPECO
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:55 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 9:20 pm

What they're doing is illegal and stupid but I'd hardly call it terrorism because they're not doing something violent. Terrorism is much more serious.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 9:20 pm

Seems June 18th is the official day they seek to shut the airport down for 24-hour period.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2019/05/ ... w-airport/

They say they will also plan a further 10-day shut down starting July 1st.
mercure f-wtcc
 
mham001
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:52 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 9:29 pm

TC957 wrote:
There are warning signs around the LHR perimeter fence that drone usage WILL be met with a prosecution. So a great way to get a criminal record for anyone idiot enough to even think about doing this.
LHR is well patrolled by police and I doubt they'll even get one out of a box around the perimeter fence before being spotted doing so - maybe first by enthusiasts plane spotting alerting the police about it !


They don't have to be in the vicinity, drones can be programmed to go anywhere within their battery life, most often about 20 minutes. They can be hand built from parts and GPS navigation without security restrictions can be easily found making their origins difficult to trace.
A better defense would be radio interference, not sure how that affects airplanes though.
 
SEU
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 9:32 pm

It should be trailed under tempted murder charges anyone doing this. You are 100% deliberately putting people at risk for a cause.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 9:35 pm

NYPECO wrote:
What they're doing is illegal and stupid but I'd hardly call it terrorism because they're not doing something violent. Terrorism is much more serious.

Well, technically, it falls within the definition of terrorism in the UK:
The United Kingdom's Terrorism Act 2000 defined terrorism as follows:

(1) In this Act "terrorism" means the use or threat of action where:
(a) the action falls within subsection (2),
(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public and
(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.

(2) Action falls within this subsection if it:
(a) involves serious violence against a person,
(b) involves serious damage to property,
(c) endangers a person's life, other than that of the person committing the action,
(d) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public or
(e) is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.


(2)(c), (d) & (e) => CHECK
(1)(a) => CHECK
(1)(b) => CHECK
(1)(c) => CHECK.
Terrorism it is.
 
LSZH34
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 9:41 pm

Terrorists!
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11630
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 11:00 pm

mham001 wrote:
TC957 wrote:
There are warning signs around the LHR perimeter fence that drone usage WILL be met with a prosecution. So a great way to get a criminal record for anyone idiot enough to even think about doing this.
LHR is well patrolled by police and I doubt they'll even get one out of a box around the perimeter fence before being spotted doing so - maybe first by enthusiasts plane spotting alerting the police about it !


They don't have to be in the vicinity, drones can be programmed to go anywhere within their battery life, most often about 20 minutes. They can be hand built from parts and GPS navigation without security restrictions can be easily found making their origins difficult to trace.
A better defense would be radio interference, not sure how that affects airplanes though.


Well if the drones are programmed, then they don't need radio to fulfill their mission.

They could also use winged drones (RC planes) with better range and longer air time.

I wonder if airports will start buying weapons designed to take these down. Regular hunting shotguns should do the trick, if you manage to spot them.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
PanzerPowner
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Fri May 31, 2019 11:32 pm

Well then, I just can't WAIT to go to Heathrow this July! Maybe those GEs on the 777 i'm flying in on will chop one up.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.
 
smartplane
Posts: 1024
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:22 am

WayexTDI wrote:
NYPECO wrote:
What they're doing is illegal and stupid but I'd hardly call it terrorism because they're not doing something violent. Terrorism is much more serious.

Well, technically, it falls within the definition of terrorism in the UK:
The United Kingdom's Terrorism Act 2000 defined terrorism as follows:

(1) In this Act "terrorism" means the use or threat of action where:
(a) the action falls within subsection (2),
(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public and
(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.

(2) Action falls within this subsection if it:
(a) involves serious violence against a person,
(b) involves serious damage to property,
(c) endangers a person's life, other than that of the person committing the action,
(d) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public or
(e) is designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.


(2)(c), (d) & (e) => CHECK
(1)(a) => CHECK
(1)(b) => CHECK
(1)(c) => CHECK.
Terrorism it is.

Could some of those definitions also apply to Boeing's handling of the MAX certification and accidents?
 
Bradin
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:12 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:41 am

What a load of rubbish. Not only are they daft, they are hurting their own cause.

If people get hurt, no one will feel sorry for them if the spend a lifetime in prison.
 
mham001
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:52 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:51 am

Aesma wrote:
Well if the drones are programmed, then they don't need radio to fulfill their mission..


They need GPS.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:54 am

People on a.net tend to have a common opinion towards civil aviation - namely the more the better and that anyone who disagrees must be clearly stupid

However public opinion in the UK doesn't agree with the a.net view and there are a significant number of people who have significant concerns about unconstrained airport growth

Yes, there are all sorts of bits of legislation about no drones near airports and anyone who endangers an aircraft going to jail. However the law about endangering an aircraft was probably written to target those threatening to detonate a bomb mid flight; buzzing drones by green eco-activists is more about sopping civil aviation - I don't see any intent to wound or kill - a political aim rather than an desire to wound or kill.

You can apply all sorts of pro aviation laws, but the courts need to follow public opinion to some degree. We would be in a very different society if public protest was suppressed to always expand commercial intetests
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1375
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:08 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
People on a.net tend to have a common opinion towards civil aviation - namely the more the better and that anyone who disagrees must be clearly stupid

However public opinion in the UK doesn't agree with the a.net view and there are a significant number of people who have significant concerns about unconstrained airport growth

Yes, there are all sorts of bits of legislation about no drones near airports and anyone who endangers an aircraft going to jail. However the law about endangering an aircraft was probably written to target those threatening to detonate a bomb mid flight; buzzing drones by green eco-activists is more about sopping civil aviation - I don't see any intent to wound or kill - a political aim rather than an desire to wound or kill.

You can apply all sorts of pro aviation laws, but the courts need to follow public opinion to some degree. We would be in a very different society if public protest was suppressed to always expand commercial intetests

Pure sophistry. They are attempting to shut down the airport by jeopardizing safety. Putting lives at risk.
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:24 am

If people are really this damn stupid, then I say it's past time for us to go extinct.

EDIT: something also tells me these drones were made in countries with less-stringent environmental regs, and more than half of the server farms hosting whatever social media sh!t they're using is powered mainly from some US or Chinese coal plant.

:banghead:
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:08 am

FCAFLYBOY wrote:
Considering any sort of drone activity near an airfield is highly illegal within certain restricted airspace, the response will be robust.

Lessons were learnt after the LGW incidents I feel, and LHR is UK plc and I don’t think the Police/Army will hesitate to take swift action against anyone foolish enough to try this.

The irony is, such a protest will delay flights if they are successful and the required response will actually add to pollution if Police have to scramble helicopters, patrols, military support. Delayed aircraft sitting there burning tonnes of fuel etc...

Sounds like a good way to get shot...
 
trent768
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:32 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:19 am

Bricktop wrote:
They should be shot with organic fair-trade rubber bullets. Sorry, they won't be locally grown though.

Ummm...but is it vegan though?? :D

One solution is for LHR to hire Craig Harisson as a drone hunter. If he can shoot a Taliban 2,5 km away, I'm pretty sure shooting a drone from a closer distance should be a bit easier.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:19 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
People on a.net tend to have a common opinion towards civil aviation - namely the more the better and that anyone who disagrees must be clearly stupid

However public opinion in the UK doesn't agree with the a.net view and there are a significant number of people who have significant concerns about unconstrained airport growth

Yes, there are all sorts of bits of legislation about no drones near airports and anyone who endangers an aircraft going to jail. However the law about endangering an aircraft was probably written to target those threatening to detonate a bomb mid flight; buzzing drones by green eco-activists is more about sopping civil aviation - I don't see any intent to wound or kill - a political aim rather than an desire to wound or kill.

You can apply all sorts of pro aviation laws, but the courts need to follow public opinion to some degree. We would be in a very different society if public protest was suppressed to always expand commercial intetests

Disagree 200%: the courts need to follow the letter of the law. If the law is impopular, then the law needs to be changed; until then, it needs to be applied as written.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:38 am

We typically find from the past that those whose protests eventually succeed were initially ridiculed as idiots and law breakers... but eventually protests changed the mind of both the public and eventually those elected to make laws. We sometimes find that existing laws are written in a way to maintain the status quo and discourage effective protest - to cause change and modify public opinion may be seen by those who seek change as necessitating breaking law to some degree. For years, the cosmetics industry tested on animals and justified this by not risking consumers skin health... animal rights groups protested (and a good chunk of their protest broke law) but eventually public opinion began to move against the cosmetics industry

A.net readers may have strong convictions on this... but the environmental lobby have equally strong convictions as well - the public understands that they do it substantially for a cause and not for personal gain. The green crowd know that airports will shut down at any hint of a drone, and consider the importance of saving the planet to be of greater worth than civil obedience. If you want to treat people flying unauthorised drones at LHR on the same level as terrorists, you need to come up with very persuasive arguments

Whether the environmental crowd are right or wrong about Heathrow R3 will be judged long term by history and whoever comes up with the best arguments over environmental concerns that are discussed by the masses... sending protestors to jail for terrorism may backfire in public opinion if seen as heavy handed
 
Blerg
Posts: 2012
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

...and the British police should use rubber bullets to teach these anarchists a lesson.
 
bennett123
Posts: 8857
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:36 am

If the government back down over R3, what next?.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 17255
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:06 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
However public opinion in the UK doesn't agree with the a.net view and there are a significant number of people who have significant concerns about unconstrained airport growth


What unconstrained airport growth? :confused:

How many new runways have been built at major airports in the UK in the last 25 years?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11630
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:57 am

Remember similar activists managed to cancel the construction of the Notre-Dame-des-Landes airport in France.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:46 pm

Aesma wrote:
Remember similar activists managed to cancel the construction of the Notre-Dame-des-Landes airport in France.

They helped with the cancellation.

The project had been on life support for years and no one could justify it (and it was unjustifiable).
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:52 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
We typically find from the past that those whose protests eventually succeed were initially ridiculed as idiots and law breakers... but eventually protests changed the mind of both the public and eventually those elected to make laws. We sometimes find that existing laws are written in a way to maintain the status quo and discourage effective protest - to cause change and modify public opinion may be seen by those who seek change as necessitating breaking law to some degree. For years, the cosmetics industry tested on animals and justified this by not risking consumers skin health... animal rights groups protested (and a good chunk of their protest broke law) but eventually public opinion began to move against the cosmetics industry

A.net readers may have strong convictions on this... but the environmental lobby have equally strong convictions as well - the public understands that they do it substantially for a cause and not for personal gain. The green crowd know that airports will shut down at any hint of a drone, and consider the importance of saving the planet to be of greater worth than civil obedience. If you want to treat people flying unauthorised drones at LHR on the same level as terrorists, you need to come up with very persuasive arguments

Whether the environmental crowd are right or wrong about Heathrow R3 will be judged long term by history and whoever comes up with the best arguments over environmental concerns that are discussed by the masses... sending protestors to jail for terrorism may backfire in public opinion if seen as heavy handed

Protest all you want.
But, in no way, shape or form are you allowed to endanger innocent bystanders lives; in this case, flying drones in the path of a commercial aircraft can endanger their lives.

You want to curb aviation? Go block the terminal so no pax can enter. Heck, even go invade the runways (the only life that'll be endangered is yours).
BUT, DON'T GO KILL OTHERS.
 
nine4nine
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Don’t call them activists. Call them terrorists. And what do we do to terrorists? Neutralize them! Anyone caught intentionally trying to interfere with an arriving or departing aircraft endangering the lives of hundreds should be executed on the spot.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12306
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Climate activists plan to use drones at LHR

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:01 pm

NYPECO wrote:
What they're doing is illegal and stupid but I'd hardly call it terrorism because they're not doing something violent. Terrorism is much more serious.

What matters is what the law calls it... and this falls well within those parameters.



davidjohnson6 wrote:
You can apply all sorts of pro aviation laws, but the courts need to follow public opinion to some degree.

Uh, no.

Courts need to follow the law, and only the law. If public opinion doesn't support said law, then the public needs to change the law through the democratic process.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos