UA857
Topic Author

Why do Iranian Carries use very old aircraft?

Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 pm

Why are Iranian Air Carriers using such old and out of date aircraft e.g. 727s or 747 classics.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited grammar in title

mercure1

Re: Why does Iranian Carries use very old aircraft?

Fri May 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Where have you been since 1979?
mercure f-wtcc

AirKevin

Fri May 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Pretty sure the sanctions on Iran make it impossible for them to purchase new planes from Boeing and Airbus.
Captain Kevin

dmstorm22

Fri May 31, 2019 8:32 pm

Because of sanctions Boeing (and I'm pretty sure Airbus) can't sell to them

Pre-Trump, after some sanctions were lifted they ordered a bunch but those were quashed.

ORDfan101

Fri May 31, 2019 8:33 pm

Because they can’t buy new ones

n729pa

Fri May 31, 2019 8:37 pm

You might want to read up on Iranian US relations from January 1979 to date....

I won't get into the rights and wrongs of either party or their agendas during that time but given the situation currently developing too, it's not likely to change anytime soon.

Most of the real classics have been retired now but they are still using airframes that ordinarily will have been retired by mainstream legacy carriers (ie BA, Qantas, Lufthansa etc).

Slash787

Fri May 31, 2019 8:38 pm

Sanctions........

They can buy 3rd hand planes but there has to be a number of years on them, I always tend to forget the exact details, but that's how Mahan Air Got their A343 and A346.

Seabear

Fri May 31, 2019 8:44 pm

They could presumably buy new aircraft from Russia or China that contain no Western content.

OSL777FLYER

Fri May 31, 2019 8:55 pm

It all has to do with sanctions imposed after 1979.

After the Shah had to flee, Iran were not able to do business with the west aviation wise. That is why they still fly old aircraft like B747-200's. Iran Air even flew B747 SP's until recently I believe. Old A300's and A310's are also used as well as F100's.Generally for a while, they could get some aircraft if a certain percentage of parts in said aircraft were not manufactured in the U.S.

When there was a relaxation in the sanctions, carriers were able to get some MD-80's and Iran Air and Mahan Air even got some A330's and 340's.

But after new sanctions now with certain leaders of the world threatening to "punish" or cut business ties with countries who do business with Iran, they seem to have to make do with what is available.

If my memory serves me correct. There were some easing in the early 2000's due to concerns over aviation safety in Iran.

I know that this is a civil aviation forum, but these bans also applies to military hardware. Iran are still flying F-14's etc. that were delivered before the coup in 1979.

Hope that this somewhat answered your question.

Bobloblaw

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:48 am

mercure1 wrote:

He was born in 2003.

luckyone

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:49 am

1. US sanctions prevent them from buying new aircraft with a certain percentage of US components.
2. The Russians haven’t demonstrated an ability to build and/or support an aircraft program in significant quantities since the dissolution of the USSR.
3. The Chinese civilian aerospace industry is mostly an ambition—for now at least. Even if it weren’t, unlike the Russians I’m not aware that they have any engine manufacturers that would enable the sale to to bypass US sanctions.

Bricktop

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:00 am

Bobloblaw wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

He was born in 2003.

Google was born in 1998. I just searched that, and the OP’s question too.
The question has also been well discussed on this forum, monthly if not more frequently it seems.
Usually ends in a slanging match, and while this thread hasn’t yet, the distant drums are beating.

Slash787

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:16 am

As they could buy 3rd hand aircrafts with specific number of years on them, can those aircrafts include build on American soil? The airliners which have taken some ex EK B777's if they are willing to sell then maybe Iran Air could buy them if they are allowed to buy 3rd hand Boeing aircrafts.

I guess even with the 3rd hand policy, there is a lot of complications otherwise we would have seen some old A330's for Iran Air. But well I guess Mahan Air did the right thing to get the A343 and A346, it is better than operating something which is 40 years old.

soyuz

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:30 am

With regard to Russian aircraft, the SSJ has too many Western components. Same case with the MC-21. Sanctions prevent these from being sold to Iran. The only options would be the TU-204 or IL-96 (or the embattled Ukrainian AN-148) as new builds but Iran simply don’t trust these aircraft. This mistrust has its origins in multiple crashes of Soviet built aircraft in Iran over the past 2-3 decades including the failed indigenously built IrAN-140. The after sale support would also be mediocre. Look at Cubana. The temporary relaxing of sanctions did allow for a handful of A330s and A340s to make their way into the fleets of the national carrier and Mahan Air, which also still flies a couple of ex-CSA A310-300s built in 1991. It’s a wonder to see how resourceful the Persian engineers have had to be to keep the old 747s and A300s going.

blacksoviet

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:00 am

What would happen if Boeing sold Iran Air a white-tail 748i through a third-party or a front corporation?

Jouhou

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:55 am

soyuz wrote:
With regard to Russian aircraft, the SSJ has too many Western components. Same case with the MC-21. Sanctions prevent these from being sold to Iran. The only options would be the TU-204 or IL-96 (or the embattled Ukrainian AN-148) as new builds but Iran simply don’t trust these aircraft. This mistrust has its origins in multiple crashes of Soviet built aircraft in Iran over the past 2-3 decades including the failed indigenously built IrAN-140. The after sale support would also be mediocre. Look at Cubana. The temporary relaxing of sanctions did allow for a handful of A330s and A340s to make their way into the fleets of the national carrier and Mahan Air, which also still flies a couple of ex-CSA A310-300s built in 1991. It’s a wonder to see how resourceful the Persian engineers have had to be to keep the old 747s and A300s going.

Isn't there a "Russified" SSJ planned, especially where Russia isn't exactly in the western world's good graces either?

Anyways to answer the question asked more completely, I believe Iran didn't more completely use their window of time without sanctions because they couldn't get the money to buy the world's entire inventory of new-ish planes all at once. Aircraft tend to be expensive, it takes banks willing to lend money and/or heaps of foreign currency that they didn't have. Iran Air got the most new/gently used aircraft in that time period because the Iranian Government has more foreign currency to work with, I think. I might be wrong on that, you are all welcome to correct me if I am.

flyingclrs727

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:08 am

mercure1 wrote:

Maybe under a rock.

opticalilyushin

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:57 am

blacksoviet wrote:
What would happen if Boeing sold Iran Air a white-tail 748i through a third-party or a front corporation?

On a side note, 1 airframe wouldn't cut it. The Iranian market is so massive that the numbers required would be triple digits!

scbriml

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:35 am

blacksoviet wrote:

They'd be guilty of very serious crimes. The onus would be on Boeing to do due diligence on the customer. Buying a 747 is not like buying something at a supermarket.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BlueberryWheats

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:41 am

Bobloblaw wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

He was born in 2003.

I was born in 1987, but I'm aware of historical events prior to 1987. Including the Iranian Revolution. :wink2:

blacksoviet

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:43 am

Iran Air will have to retire some A320s soon. Hopefully Flair Airlines can sell them some 737-400s. They would be an excellent replacement and are third hand.

Lufthansa

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:08 am

Not to sound like a twat but I've been on this forum now for 20 years. There's far too many of the "why is this, what is that?" posts going on
lately. Most of which using the search engine could solve.

That said this one is probably dealing with the most complex aviation relationship on the planet. Iran was a huge Boeing customer. There probably wouldn't
be a modern day Emirates if the revolution didn't happen. On the other side of the gulf (I'm not calling it Persian or Arabic lets not upset anyone but thats the area) from DXB and DOH it would have enjoyed a lot of the same advantages plus its got an astramoical amount of oil. Cheap oil.

Now as others have said the sanctions have changed over years, but I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong I'm not American) they were allowed to buy second hand aircraft that were older. Russian aircraft still aren't popular in Iran. A couple of other things happened, like during the first Gulf war, the US accidentally shot down an Iranian Airbus A300, so the sanctions where temporarily relaxed to enable them to buy new A300s and A310s as compensation.

But I suspect part of it is an Iranian move too. While working around these sanctions, although they don't release any official data or info on this,
if they need to, they can reverse engineer parts for things like the old Pratt and Whitney JT8D engine and airframe parts without the need for
expensive exotic materials to be used. They've got around it with some dodgy deals with 3rd parties in other countries at times, and you'll see the
likes of Mehan Air flying A340s about the place. Being Iran, fuel burn is not a major concern due to price, but obviously all airframes can't go on
forever. As I said this is probably the most complex aviation relationship on earth. I suggest you read up on the sanctions at the US state departments
website but be warned... it's a long and complex document.

blacksoviet

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:35 am

China is Iran's ally. Air China Cargo has 5 747-400BCFs in storage. Will they sell some of these to Iran? Is it possible to convert a -400BCF back to passenger configuration?

Lufthansa

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:59 am

blacksoviet wrote:
China is Iran's ally. Air China Cargo has 5 747-400BCFs in storage. Will they sell some of these to Iran? Is it possible to convert a -400BCF back to passenger configuration?

It probably is, as it was done with 747-200 combi's but there's an issues. The first is getting everything. You'd need to reinstall the interior etc
and plug the cargo door. It will make it heavier than a standard 744.

The next is getting it done. I know HAECO did some conversions but most of them were done in Israel which obviously doesn't deal
with Iran, or wouldn't be willing. Or they could do it in-house. They probably have the skills to do it, but that means the type would
not be allowed in Europe and a range of other countries. They'd be better off buying old 744s off the likes of KL, LH etc (thats what
they did a while back to get some 747-200s). Depends on how they want to use them of course. If its just domestic they'd probably get
away with it. Parts might start to be an issue soon though. You can get around that, but it means being increasingly creative
and doing dodgy deals with other countries when you need a new APU etc.

scbriml

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:01 am

blacksoviet wrote:
China is Iran's ally. Air China Cargo has 5 747-400BCFs in storage. Will they sell some of these to Iran?

If Air China sold those planes to Iran, they would likely face sanctions from the USA. If it hasn't happened, then there's probably at least one good reason why not.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

speedbird52

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:10 am

scbriml wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
China is Iran's ally. Air China Cargo has 5 747-400BCFs in storage. Will they sell some of these to Iran?

If Air China sold those planes to Iran, they would likely face sanctions from the USA. If it hasn't happened, then there's probably at least one good reason why not.

Considering the close economic ties between the US and China, I doubt we would follow through. I suppose it just isn't worth the risk for China because they don't care enough about Iran

Jouhou

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:15 am

blacksoviet wrote:

If China felt like doing that, I'm pretty sure Iran would prefer a cargo configuration. If I remember correctly, the sanctions have always been stricter about cargo aircraft and granted no exceptions at all for the transfer of cargo planes to Iran. Thus, their dedicated cargo fleet is in even more pathetic shape than their passenger fleet.

China doesn't have much reason to play nice to US demands right now, but I think they might regard our leadership too unstable and irrational to outright provoke like that at the moment.

I have little love for the Chinese Government but they are generally very rational and calculated about how they go about things on the global stage

rbavfan

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:59 am

Slash787 wrote:
As they could buy 3rd hand aircrafts with specific number of years on them, can those aircrafts include build on American soil? The airliners which have taken some ex EK B777's if they are willing to sell then maybe Iran Air could buy them if they are allowed to buy 3rd hand Boeing aircrafts.

I guess even with the 3rd hand policy, there is a lot of complications otherwise we would have seen some old A330's for Iran Air. But well I guess Mahan Air did the right thing to get the A343 and A346, it is better than operating something which is 40 years old.

Where would they get the engine & systems parts for maintenance.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:10 am

rbavfan wrote:
Where would they get the engine & systems parts for maintenance.

I've been told they do a lot of reverse engineering. They take an existing part, measure it and make a blueprint of it. Then they use that blueprint to reproduce that part.

tapairbus370

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:25 am

[*]
Seabear wrote:
They could presumably buy new aircraft from Russia or China that contain no Western content.

Can you name a model that fit this criteria?

yowza

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Bricktop wrote:
slanging match

May want to Google that smarty pants. ;)

B747Saeed

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:59 pm

UA857 wrote:
Why are Iranian Air Carriers using such old and out of date aircraft e.g. 727s or 747 classics.

The 727s have been phased out.

reltney

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:01 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
UA857 wrote:

They don’t play well with others....
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

Bricktop

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:02 pm

yowza wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
slanging match

May want to Google that smarty pants. ;)

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/slanging-match

countable noun
A slanging match is an angry quarrel in which people insult each other.
[British]They conducted a public slanging match.

Guilty of watching a lot of PBS and BBCA :blush:, but still correct, as our UK posters will agree. :tongue2:

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:36 pm

In reference to the OP's question, it actually goes back much further than the 20th century to truly understand what is going on with Iran.

There is absolutely NO politicization from me on this, nor any attempt at prosthelyzation on my part - please do not read anything into this as to my personal opinions or trying to stir the pot here. I am attempting to add to the picture to explain what is going on in this part of the world.

Upon the death of the Prophet Mohamed in 632, a schism took place within the religion/belief system he founded. Since he named no successor, there were two schools of thought: those who believed that only a blood relative should lead Islam (a minority), and are called Shi'ite's, and those who believed that only the people who want to lead Islam should do so, as long as they are devout and follow the teachings of the Sunna, hence the name Sunnis.

Shi'ites were most driven from the hearth of Islam; from what is today Saudi Arabia. They literally ran for their lives, ending up in what is today parts of Yemen, Lebanon, Iraq, and Persia, what is today Iran. In these countries, these populations blend in because of a common language, common ethnic identity, and other factors as well. Sometimes the populations remained segregated in their own neighborhoods, sometimes the populations intermingled. Pre-Gulf War, for example, the city of Baghdad had a history of inter-mingling. But remember also, the nation-states we know today in the Middle East didn't exist; they came into being post-WWI, and like Africa, the borders weren't drawn with any indigenous input; it was all the imperialistic views of European nations taking what they wanted, assuming they would always be there.

But Iran is a completely different story. For starters, Iranians are not Arab - they are Persians, a different ethnic group. Granted, Iran was on the Silk Road trade route and has had its own empire conquer and be conquered, so there is great diversity in this country; however, Persia has always been at the easternmost point of what one might call "Arabia". Their language, Farsi, is not related grammatically to Arabic; it is a language in the Indo-Aryan branch of Indo-European, the branch with the most speakers that includes sibling languages of Hindi, Punjabi, and Urdu.

Of course the U.S. got involved upon the discovery of oil in the region (I swear I'm not getting political, but this has to be acknowledged), and many in the country felt that the leadership was far too close to The West, and was poisoning the traditional culture of the people. The Shah maintained diplomatic relations with Israel, something most other Muslim nations did not. The unofficial leader of the anti-Shah movement became an exiled cleric named Khomeini, an Ayatollah forced to live in France. In the late 1970's, the Shah - basically seen as "installed" by the U.S. in the 1950's - became ill and started losing his grip on the country. The religious leadership organized and began to openly challenge the Shah, eventually taking control of the country in 1979, leading to U.S. sanctions on the country: no U.S. technology of any type can be sold to Iran, either directly or indirectly, meaning that if there is even ONE part on an Airbus plane, it cannot be sold to Iran. There are ways around this, but I cannot describe how they work.

Again, I am not taking one side or the other, but to understand why Qatar overflies Iran but not Saudi Arabia, one must understand that, in the eyes of Saudi Arabia, the Qataris chose Shi'a over Sunni in the religious Cold War going on right now. To understand why Iraq is still relatively unstable is to understand the rivalry within a country that is split religiously.

Should the sanctions ever be lifted, Iran would buy a lot of aircraft. But until those sanctions are lifted, second-hand and older aircraft must suffice.

Thank you, in advance, for appreciating that I only explained the facts and details, as a completely dispassionate narrator. That concludes our lesson today on why there are American sanctions on Iran that date back to 632 A.D. Class dismissed.

kjeld0d

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:54 pm

mercure1 wrote:

Aren't they just really into retro style??

SEU

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:19 pm

Basically, USA and Saudi arabia are in bed together due to arms deals (Saudi Arabias buying billions of them from US and allies) so they allow Saudi arabia to buy their arms (and bomb yemen, Oman and other areas in the middle east)

. Apart of this partnership, is that Saudi Arabia and Isreal as well, is they both cant have Iran being the economic powerhouse that it could very well be (has lots more oil, population, land space, tourism possibility due to natural beauty), so US imposed sanctions on them or anyone trading with Iran under the sensorship of Iran having "Nuclear weapons", even though the US has plenty of Nukes, they can decide who has the nukes and who doesnt depending on who they like and what benefits them.

So Iran has been unable to buy new planes for a long time, it has of course indirectly caused the deaths of hundreds of innocent people in crashes due to maintenance and old aircraft. So they get old planes.

SEU

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:47 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
flight152 wrote:
Are you being serious right now? Are you even aware of how Iran got themselves in this situation?

They’d gotten themselves out of it as well until the orange menace decided to screw with the deal, which was working. So I stand by my comment.

Maybe they should burn less American flags and stop chanting death to the USA.
You can't have it both ways.
Just saying.

You mean after america decided not to allow them to have trade with anyone? Thats like China deciding that due to a trade agreement with Mexico, they are not allowing anyone to trade with America and then the whole world following suit. How would you feel?

mark1484

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:19 pm

Why are the Mahan B747-400's not flying? The old 300 series still operates every now and again but surely the 400 would be more economical to operate.

flilot

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:19 pm

reltney wrote:
They don’t play well with others....

Technically the "others" don't play well with Iran. Mainly due to "good ol' USAyyyyy" whom the rest of the world then bow down and scrape to follow.

PixelPilot

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:24 pm

SEU wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

They’d gotten themselves out of it as well until the orange menace decided to screw with the deal, which was working. So I stand by my comment.

Just saying.

You mean after america decided not to allow them to have trade with anyone? Thats like China deciding that due to a trade agreement with Mexico, they are not allowing anyone to trade with America and then the whole world following suit. How would you feel?

Even after Obama gave them the deal they were still doing same thing.
Free world I guess everybody can do what they want but that doesn't mean others will/will not like it.

persiangulf93

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:41 pm

I doesn't matter if Iran is the bad guy or the US, you can't justify sanctions that puts the lives of innocent civilians in danger!

SEU

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:57 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
SEU wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Just saying.

Even after Obama gave them the deal they were still doing same thing.
Free world I guess everybody can do what they want but that doesn't mean others will/will not like it.

What were they doing exactly?

strfyr51

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:00 pm

Because US sanctions stand in their way from Obtaining parts and systems designed or manufactured in the USA,
Which includes much of the avionics, Engine. Hydraulic systems and even structural components Europe could sell it to them but then they'd be hard pressed to sell it to the USA, They Could however buy Russian Built equipment. Especially since No airline in the USA flies Russian built equipment. And unless some breakthrough is happening? they're not likely to be in the near future. I have said before that had they opened the door to Lockheed or Northrop? Illutain could have HAD access to he USA markets.

strfyr51

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:02 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
Because US sanctions stand in their way from Obtaining parts and systems designed or manufactured in the USA,
Which includes much of the avionics, Engine. Hydraulic systems and even structural components Europe could sell it to them but then they'd be hard pressed to sell it to the USA, They Could however buy Russian Built equipment. Especially since No airline in the USA flies Russian built equipment. And unless some breakthrough is happening? they're not likely to be in the near future. I have said before that had they opened the door to Lockheed or Northrop? Illutain could have HAD access to he USA markets.

that should have read Illusian (I think) and the PS90 engine as well to make it more road worthy.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:00 pm

persiangulf93 wrote:
I doesn't matter if Iran is the bad guy or the US, you can't justify sanctions that puts the lives of innocent civilians in danger!

Better than cruise missiles that actually kill innocent civilians. Or terror bombs that kill innocent civilians.

GF

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:01 pm

SEU wrote:
Basically, USA and Saudi arabia are in bed together due to arms deals (Saudi Arabias buying billions of them from US and allies) so they allow Saudi arabia to buy their arms (and bomb yemen, Oman and other areas in the middle east)

. Apart of this partnership, is that Saudi Arabia and Isreal as well, is they both cant have Iran being the economic powerhouse that it could very well be (has lots more oil, population, land space, tourism possibility due to natural beauty), so US imposed sanctions on them or anyone trading with Iran under the sensorship of Iran having "Nuclear weapons", even though the US has plenty of Nukes, they can decide who has the nukes and who doesnt depending on who they like and what benefits them.

So Iran has been unable to buy new planes for a long time, it has of course indirectly caused the deaths of hundreds of innocent people in crashes due to maintenance and old aircraft. So they get old planes.

That was after US and Iran were in bed with each other, prior to 1979.

GF

VS11

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:19 pm

persiangulf93 wrote:

But the US is under no obligation to sell its technology to anyone, particularly to hostile regimes, even in the absence of sanctions. Even Airbus planes have US parts/technologies in them.

ual763

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:32 pm

SEU wrote:

It’s clear you have a political bone to pick. Absolutely none of what you just said is true, and is pure flame bait meant to derail the thread. I suggest you take your rants to the non-commercial forums.
From flying to the NOTAM office

SEU

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:45 pm

ual763 wrote:
SEU wrote:

It’s clear you have a political bone to pick. Absolutely none of what you just said is true, and is pure flame bait meant to derail the thread. I suggest you take your rants to the non-commercial forums.

Fair enough - can you clarify which part isnt true?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos