BrianDromey

Re: Irish 6/19: Dublin's bubblin' ...

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:38 am

The finer details of the CTA are clearly not well understood, who it applies to, what circumstance it can be used and what it means in practice.

The differing approaches to implementation at Irish Airports Vs Sea Ports, Land Borders and UK Airports add to the confusion. The CTA is unique, as it only applies to Irish and UK citizens. It does not apply to EU or any other Third Country citizen. The CTA does not guarantee that documents won't be requested to cross between the two territories, but allows nationals of the two countries to travel, work and study between them without Passports/ID cards or Visas.

The wikipedia article is quite comprehensive and worth a read, it covers the historical and legal basis for the existence of the CTA and why it only applies to UK and Irish citizens. Whats I didn't know is that the Irish opt-out from Schengen is conditional on the existence of the CTA. In the event the CTA ceases to exist, Ireland would be obligated to join Schengen. Thats not something I've seen covered before, but does imply that in the event of a Hard/No-Deal/Disorderly/Unmamaged/ETC Brexit that full immigration controls would be necessary at the point of entry to Ireland, or the Island. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

The UK would dearly love to have a passport check, the border is an obvious blindspot of immigration officials on both sides - but this has been cried down by Unionists, not just in NI, but also in England and Scotland.

OA260

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:54 am

Sounds interesting for anyone around town at the weekend and who is registered. Friday and Saturday event for Aer Club members in Arnotts. Seems they will have a mock up lounge with Aer Lingus related things at it.

You’re invited to our exclusive Arnotts event

We’re delighted to invite you and a guest to our most exclusive Summer Shopping Event, in partnership with Arnotts, on Friday 21st and Saturday 22nd June. Arnotts, Dublin’s department store since 1843, is home to a world of exciting, new and exclusive brands.

During this one-off shopping event, exclusively for AerClub members, you’ll enjoy:3 Avios for every €1 spent in Arnotts.1,000 Wonder Card points to spend in-store.The opportunity to win some fantastic prizes including flights, Avios, Arnotts gift cards and more.Access to a unique in-store Travel Lounge, where you can enjoy entertainment and refreshments and even try out our flight simulator - no runway necessary!To register for the event, simply link your credit or debit card via our registration page. Then, you’ll automatically collect your Avios for any spend on that card during the event.

We look forward to seeing you there!

https://estore.aerlingus.com/collect-on-card

Clydenairways

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:55 am

https://www.waterfordlive.ie/news/home/ ... nsion.html

Not sure if this has been discussed or got missed in the CTA stuff. Anybody have any thoughts? Ryanair from LTN perhaps with maybe a couple of Sun routes thrown in.

EI321

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:05 pm

The timing of that seems a bit odd, just as the government is heading into its twilight days.

I would have thought an EI regional ATR flight would have come before a Ryanair 737 service if the demand was there.

CarbHeatIn

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:32 pm

EI Regional ATR makes no sense. To where? Where would the aircraft operating any route be based?

An argument could be made for Ryanair, maybe with a STN based aircraft.

shamrock350

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:46 pm

Aer Lingus Regional would need to open a base in Waterford to operate a realistic schedule, that's not something I can see either Aer Lingus or Stobart being interested in. In the Aer Arann days they used to operate Luton, Manchester, Birmingham and Lorient from Waterford but that was all axed as the Stobart business model took over.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:36 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Aer Lingus Regional would need to open a base in Waterford to operate a realistic schedule, that's not something I can see either Aer Lingus or Stobart being interested in. In the Aer Arann days they used to operate Luton, Manchester, Birmingham and Lorient from Waterford but that was all axed as the Stobart business model took over.

In WAT's hay day (which was arguably the summer '08 season), RE (as the sole operator) had quite an impressive operation going:

- AGP (2 weekly)
- AMS (4 weekly)
- BOD (2 weekly)
- BHX (6 weekly)
- FAO (2 weekly)
- GWY (10 weekly)
- LRT (4 weekly)
- LTN (18 weekly)
- MAN (6 weekly)
Total: 54 weekly flights

144,000 passengers passed through WAT that year (which equates to about half of Kerry Airport's throughput from 2018). Aside from the UK and LRT routes flown by ATRs, RE leased BAe 146s from Nex Aviation to operate AGP, AMS, BOD and FAO. These flights originated and terminated in Galway using Waterford as a stopover.

I think WAT would find it difficult to lure operators back in. Their geographic position between DUB and ORK doesn't help.

OA260

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:14 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
In WAT's hay day (which was arguably the summer '08 season), RE (as the sole operator) had quite an impressive operation going:

- AGP (2 weekly)
- AMS (4 weekly)
- BOD (2 weekly)
- BHX (6 weekly)
- FAO (2 weekly)
- GWY (10 weekly)
- LRT (4 weekly)
- LTN (18 weekly)
- MAN (6 weekly)
Total: 54 weekly flights

144,000 passengers passed through WAT that year (which equates to about half of Kerry Airport's throughput from 2018). Aside from the UK and LRT routes flown by ATRs, RE leased BAe 146s from Nex Aviation to operate AGP, AMS, BOD and FAO. These flights originated and terminated in Galway using Waterford as a stopover.

I think WAT would find it difficult to lure operators back in. Their geographic position between DUB and ORK doesn't help.

When you see the above you wonder what happened. Certainly sad to see to what its turned into now. Would be good if they can turn things around even to get just a few flights a day and make it at least pay its way again and provide a local service to the surrounding areas. I think the most likely is a UK service to a London Airport or Manchester.

ELBOB

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:24 pm

OA260 wrote:

DUBLIN AIRPORT are to introduce plastic-free water bottles as an alternative for travellers to take before boarding their flight.

Over the next few weeks, plastic-free bottles will be made available for customers and will be added to the shelves located after security screening in both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.

A bit odd when Dublin has so many water fountains. Wouldn't it be more sustainable to encourage passengers to carry their reusable empty bottles through security? I've done it for years and just fill-up after security ( except at the Belfast airports which are too tightwad to provide fountains ).

OA260

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:26 am

Shane Ross’s €5m grant for airport with no flights

Minister rejected officials’ advice

TRANSPORT Minister Shane Ross has gone against the advice of spending officials by giving €5m to an airport which hasn’t had a single commercial flight in three years.

The ministers for finance and regional development both raised red flags about the handout for Waterford Regional Airport – but it was pushed through at Cabinet last Tuesday.

The Irish Independent understands a memo compiled by the Department of Public Expenditure suggested the allocation was not justified.

The airport is in the constituency of Mr Ross’s Independent Alliance colleague John Halligan.

The Minister of State confirmed that there was significant opposition within Government, saying that while negotiations were always calm he had to fight “tooth and nail”.

Mr Halligan said: “If people want to say it’s parish-pump politics, I don’t care. It’s a big hit for the south-east.”

www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ ... 18208.html

---

Dublin Airport stops work on expansion over plan to cut passenger charges

DAA blames regulator for decision to halt’stand down’ work on €2 billion project

Dublin Airport is halting work on a €2 billion expansion following regulators’ proposals to cut the gateway’s passenger charges, hitting projects needed to accommodate record numbers of air travellers.

The Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR), which determines what Dublin Airport charges airlines for the passengers they fly from there, recently proposed cutting the levy to €7.50 a head for 2020-2024 from €9.30 currently.

Dalton Philips, chief executive of the airport’s owner, DAA, has told senior staff that the State company’s board is “standing down” work on a planned €2 billion expansion timed for 2020-2024, blaming the uncertainty created by the CAR.

Mr Philips points out in a memo to senior colleagues that DAA’s investment plans depend on charges staying close to €9.65 a head, its 2018 cap, for the next five years.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.3925111

OA260

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:44 am

RTE News reporting 2 killed in light aircraft crash in Co Kildare.

www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0614/10553 ... h-kildare/

eirflot

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:58 am

Either aviation matters to the country or it does not. It us time the Pratt who is minister for transport called the DAA, the IAA, the regulator and the two prominent airlines to his office and basically says wtf?
It us all beyond pathetic!

BrianDromey

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:39 pm

eirflot wrote:
Either aviation matters to the country or it does not. It us time the Pratt who is minister for transport called the DAA, the IAA, the regulator and the two prominent airlines to his office and basically says wtf?

With ever increasing passenger numbers and increased retail opportunities, one wonders why the DAA requires ever increasing charges? How did the CAR come up with these charges? Indeed, why is the CAR necessary and the DAA not free to set charges as the market will bear?

EI564

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:53 pm

I believe the airport is suggesting that it would keep charges flat. The regulator wants to reduce the price by €2 per passenger though.

alancostello

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:54 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
eirflot wrote:

With ever increasing passenger numbers and increased retail opportunities, one wonders why the DAA requires ever increasing charges? How did the CAR come up with these charges? Indeed, why is the CAR necessary and the DAA not free to set charges as the market will bear?

Does their fee cover the cost of providing security? I also wonder who's paying the bill for the E-Gates, I doubt it's INIS?

I don't mind the fee staying at its current price or within a small percentage of it, the money for improvements has to come from somewhere, and bottlenecks like the ones USPC and immigration are seeing the last while are a noose for an airport on the rise.

wexfordflyer

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:06 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
eirflot wrote:

The daa were not looking to increase charges, but keep them at the same level, required to deliver a €1.8bn capital investment plan to expand the airport, which is already bursting at the seams!

alancostello wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
eirflot wrote:

Does their fee cover the cost of providing security? I also wonder who's paying the bill for the E-Gates, I doubt it's INIS?

I don't mind the fee staying at its current price or within a small percentage of it, the money for improvements has to come from somewhere, and bottlenecks like the ones USPC and immigration are seeing the last while are a noose for an airport on the rise.

It's a single till so everything goes in, security included.

From the draft determination, daa wanted to keep fees flat. This all while delivering a €1.8bn capital investment programme to cater for expansion of the airport to handle 40m passengers. Which seems pretty good. The regulator wants to reduce by €2 per passenger, which will probably impact what they can build and reduce the capacity for expansion.

While a €2 reduction seems a positive, does anyone really think this is going to mean that airlines will reduce the price of every ticket by €2? Not at all! Fares will stay the same and the airlines will earn more, meanwhile the expansion plans for the airport will be scaled back.
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

DalRiada

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:53 pm

What do people want the daa to do, airport charges are already very low and they’re going to invest €2bn without upping them at all? It’s not like that €2 will be coming off your flight price, and even if it did you wouldn’t even notice if your €23.99 flight to Manchester is now €19.99 - let alone if your €706 round trip to Asia is €704!

Skyblue39

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:08 pm

FR announce DUB-MRS 3w for S20 (already flown with EI 5w).

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... le-service

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:07 am

Flybe changes flap check procedures after E-175 takeoff with incorrect flap setting at DUB, last August:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... nc-458894/

OA260

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:40 am

Centenary of first transatlantic flight marked in Co Galway

A remembrance and tribute ceremony to mark the centenary of the first non-stop transatlantic flight took place in Clifden, Co Galway this morning.

It was held at the site at Derrigimlagh Bog just outside the town where two British aviators, John Alcock and Arthur Whitten-Brown, landed 16 hours and 28 minutes after taking off from Newfoundland, Canada.

Wreaths were laid in their memory at the Alcock and Brown memorial and a minute's silence was held at the exact time, 8.40am, that they landed their Vickers Vimy aircraft.

The nephew of John Alcock, Group Captain A.J.H. Alcock MBE RAF, described the ceremony as fantastically moving and said that he was humbled that such a crowd of people would come out to Derrigimlagh for it.

www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/0615/1055 ... ry-flight/

JAmie2k9

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:33 pm

Swiss will add extra x2 weekly flights on DUB-ZUR over winter 2019/20 bringing overall freq up to x9 weekly.

Extra Flights Mon and Fri
ZUR-DUB 16.30-17.50
DUB-ZUR 18.35-21.40

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:44 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Swiss will add extra x2 weekly flights on DUB-ZUR over winter 2019/20 bringing overall freq up to x9 weekly.

Extra Flights Mon and Fri
ZUR-DUB 16.30-17.50
DUB-ZUR 18.35-21.40

Welcome news and good connection opportunities to late night LX departures from ZRH. However, I'm surprised that LX hasn't yet introduced an early departure from DUB, similar to LH's to FRA and MUC.

eirflot

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:32 pm

I think it is because of LH that thete are no early morning LX flights. When LH took over LX, the early morning LX flight from Moscow was cancelled and a 9.00am flight introduced!

kruiseri

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Last week I had a less than perfect experince flying out of DUB with Aer Lingus.

I was unable to check in online beforehand, so I arrived at the airport 2 hours before departure thinking that it should be enough as I was flying to MAN with only my handluggage.

I barely made my flight...

First I tried to check in at the kiosks, but that would not work as the kiosk wants to see a passport , which one of the valid options for travel within the EU, the other being a national ID card which is what I had. At that time I had internet access, so I now tried to check in online only to find out that online check was closed. So the only option was to join the old school check in line that had a couple of hundred other PAX and only four booths...

By the time I was checked in, I had to run lto security and straight to the gate and I barely made my flight.

Aer Lingus should really re-think its check in procedures.
1. Why the hell does online check in close hours before the flight ?
2. Why does the check in kiosk require a passport ? And if for some reason they think that is a good idea, why do they not accept the other perfectly valid type of travel documentation ?

shamrock350

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:35 pm

kruiseri wrote:
Aer Lingus should really re-think its check in procedures.
1. Why the hell does online check in close hours before the flight ?
2. Why does the check in kiosk require a passport ? And if for some reason they think that is a good idea, why do they not accept the other perfectly valid type of travel documentation ?

Online check opens 30 hours before departure (30 days with a pre-booked seat) and closes two hours before departure. Mobile check in opens at the same time but closes one hour before departure for UK flights so that should have been an option for you. Airport check in closes 45 minutes before departure. I think the close times are quite reasonable but I have no idea why they vary depending on the option used.

I haven't checked in at a kiosk in years as the other options are far more convenient but I've never been asked for my passport to use one, if that's now the case it's quite a retrograde step. As for why the kiosk doesn't accept the passport card and other forms of ID, it's probably because it can't scan them without an update to the software and the machine itself, much like the e-gates at immigration recently. The machines at LTN wouldn't accept my own passport card yesterday.

As for the staffing levels, Aer Lingus, like many carriers, has become over reliant on technology with the introduction of kiosks, mobile and online check in and the recent self bag tagging so when something goes wrong on the technology side, they're caught off guard as they've trimmed staffing levels to the bone. I saw some of the queues last week and they really were outrageous.

Skyblue39

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 pm

Just got off Aeroflot flight SU2590, A320 Moscow - Dublin. Flight was full and nice service. SVO is an “interesting” airport to say the least! I was surprised to see connections from beyond Moscow on this flight. Predominantly Russian passengers.

OA260

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:44 pm

eirflot wrote:
I think it is because of LH that thete are no early morning LX flights.

That is correct they do not want to dillute the FRA hub and are happy for LX to keep what they have and slowly add a few extra flights here and there. Shame really as a early morning from DUB would be great. Its being artificially held back .

NiallS

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
kruiseri wrote:
As for why the kiosk doesn't accept the passport card and other forms of ID, it's probably because it can't scan them without an update to the software and the machine itself, much like the e-gates at immigration recently. The machines at LTN wouldn't accept my own passport card yesterday.

Lufthansa check-in kiosks accept the passport card. It can sometimes take a few attempts to get it to read though.

OA260

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:12 am

Dublin Airport Gold Card purchased by Dublin Port manager ‘in error’
Port says all credit-card expenditure properly recorded and authorised

A manager at Dublin Port bought a €3,000 Dublin Airport Gold Card by mistake and never used it, according to a source close to the port.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-n ... 2?mode=amp

—-

BRAND NEW €3.6M GARDA STATION LYING IDLE AT DUBLIN AIRPORT AMID ROW

A brand new Garda station with two US-style detention pens for deportees has been lying idle at Dublin Airport for a month and a half — amidst a row between gardai and the force’s management over the use of the building.

The station, which cost ­€3.6million, is the first in the country to contain ‘detention pens’ that can each hold 15 people ­sitting, and double that number when they are standing.

https://extra.ie/2019/06/17/news/irish- ... irport-row

—-

9m passengers use NI airports in 2018

Nearly nine million people travelled through Northern Ireland's airports in 2018.
That is an increase of almost 29% since 2013.
Two million more passengers used Belfast International alone in 2018 than in 2013.
At George Best City airport, there was a fractional drop in passenger numbers between 2013 (2.54 million passengers) and 2018 (2.51 million passengers).
Meanwhile, the number of passengers using City of Derry Airport has halved over the last five years.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48634248

BestWestern

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:16 am

German airports have tetra pack water post security. The water tastes disgusting from them.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

shamrock321

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:37 am

Anybody know why TUI PH-OYI operates AMS-DUB-AMS this morning?

eirflot

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:19 am

Are you sure it's over the use of the build8ng or a disagreement over allowances? Currently airport Gardai are based in Santry and get alliwances for airport work
Crazy but welcome to civil and public se4vice life

ClassicLover

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Aer Lingus press release about them retaining their 4 star status with Skytrax came out today, featuring these nuggets at the end.

"Mike Rutter, Chief Operating Officer at Aer Lingus, added:

“We have worked hard to maintain the 4-star rating originally awarded in 2016, by maintaining and improving our high standards of service to guests. Our guest experience is constantly evolving and improving as the needs of travellers today are ever-changing.

“Looking forward, we are confident that we will maintain and further improve our guest experience, as we continue to execute our ambitious growth strategy. For example, soon we will roll out a full business class product refresh, 20MB of free Wi-Fi for long haul economy guests, and complimentary beer and wine for long haul economy guests.”

Aer Lingus joins a select group of only 42 airlines worldwide, and only 14 in Europe, that also boast a 4-Star guest experience. The airline is also the only 4-Star airline connecting Ireland and North America."

A business class product refresh? I imagine he's talking something like the bedding, amenity kit, food? Perhaps actual hot food in the Gold Circle lounge in Dublin?

I will say that 20MB of free Wi-Fi will last about 28 seconds in today's world of web browsing.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Galwayman

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:20 pm

Following today’s announcements from Paris , is there any place for the A321LRxr in EI’s fleet planning or not worth the bother?

shamrock350

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:44 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Following today’s announcements from Paris , is there any place for the A321LRxr in EI’s fleet planning or not worth the bother?

I'm sure it's very likely to join Aer Lingus at some point, management from the airline and group itself have stated it's of great interest to them. One problem is that it's not available until 2023 which means it just falls outside the current 5 year fleet plan which was recently presented to IAG by management.

So if Aer Lingus want additional narrow body aircraft flying across the Atlantic before 2023 they'll have to settle for the standard A321LR.

BrianDromey

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:59 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
So if Aer Lingus want additional narrow body aircraft flying across the Atlantic before 2023 they'll have to settle for the standard A321LR.

I guess they could take the tanks out of the LR's and use them as A320/1 replacements from 2023, if they want the capabilities of the LRX, without expanding the fleet, the 3 remaining A321s aren't going to last forever.

Skyblue39

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:32 am

Record May at Dublin Airport

Almost 3 million passengers travelled through Dublin Airport in May, a 4% increase over the same month last year and a new record for May.

Passenger volumes to and from continental Europe rose by 4% in May, with more than 1.6 million passengers travelling to European destinations last month.

More than 884,000 passengers travelled to and from UK destinations in May, which was an increase of 2% when compared to last year.

Transatlantic traffic to and from North America increased by 8% with 412,500 passengers travelling on this route sector in May.

Other international traffic, principally to the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific regions increased by 5% with almost 72,600 passengers travelling on these routes during May.

Passenger numbers on domestic routes declined by 12% with 9,000 passengers travelling on domestic flights last month.

So far this year, more than 12.3 million passengers have travelled through Dublin Airport, a 7% increase compared to the first five months of last year.

Dublin Airport has welcomed an additional 764,000 passengers between January and May.

The number of passengers using Dublin Airport as a hub to connect to another destination has increased by 16% this year, with almost 660,000 passengers connecting through Dublin Airport in the first five months of this year.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... in-airport

OA260

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:08 am

ClassicLover wrote:

I will say that 20MB of free Wi-Fi will last about 28 seconds in today's world of web browsing.

Indeed I flew IB J class LHR-MAD on the 340 and they handed out a free 4MB ! Worthless . These days it should be at least 500MB to be any use.

—-

Two injuries after Flybe plane had to land on its nose due to faulty sensor: AAIB

A sensor failure resulted in the pilot of a Flybe flight into Belfast City Airport burning fuel, diverting, and landing the plane on its nose at Belfast International Airport, according to a report by the Air Accident Investigation Branch published this morning.
Two passengers suffered minor injuries in the incident, which occurred on November 10, 2017, at 1.30 p.m. and involved a De Havilland Canada Dash 8 turbo-propeller aircraft operated by Flybe, the AAIB stated.

www.derryjournal.com/news/traffic-and-t ... -1-8963324

—-

Passenger numbers halved at City of Derry Airport

Passenger numbers using City of Derry Airport have halved over the last five years.

The decline is reportedly linked to the withdrawal of Ryanair’s London-Stansted flights from Derry over two years ago.

Figures show that that between 2013 and 2018, the numbers using the council-owned airport have fallen from nearly 385,000 in 2013, to nearly 186,000 in 2018.

www.highlandradio.com/2019/06/15/passen ... ive-years/

seansasLCY

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:20 pm

It's being reported that IAG has ordered 6 A321LRX for Aer Lingus: https://twitter.com/LondonAirTravel/sta ... 1543285765

OA260

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:09 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
It's being reported that IAG has ordered 6 A321LRX for Aer Lingus: https://twitter.com/LondonAirTravel/sta ... 1543285765

More here :

IAG spending over €600m on jets for Aer Lingus

IAG has ordered six Airbus A321XLR jets for Aer Lingus, with a list price of about $720m (€643m).

The aircraft type – just formally launched this week by Airbus at the Paris air show – is a significant addition to the carrier and will open up new destinations beyond the US east coast.

The 240-seater aircraft has a range of up to 8,700km in a two-class layout. It will typically have a maximum of an eight-hour flight time.
IAG has also ordered right of the new aircraft for Iberia, with first deliveries of the jets taking place in 2023. It has also taken 14 options.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 30392.html

BrianDromey

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:11 pm

seansasLCY wrote:

Seems to be confirmed now. The fleet will consist of 8LR & 6LRX for a total of 14. IB will also have 8 LRX and there are 14 options. Willie Walsh claims the LRX has the same unit cost as "a wide body" - he doesn't say which one or talk of the cargo opportunities. Great news for EI, it will be very interesting to see what the extra range really means and where these are to be deployed.

alancostello

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Just to clarify for future posts, it's XLR (Xtra Long Range), not LRX.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:55 pm

The "range ring" for the A321XLR is very interesting; at 4,600nm, practically the whole of the continental US (and ANC, if they were so inclined) and Canada is included.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=4600nm%40DUB

There's also some interesting potential if EI were to look east.

Quite a formidable aircraft and - for other airlines - a plausible replacement for the 757. AA is expected to announce an order for c.50 imminently; I'd be surprised if DL, UA and B6 didn't follow suit (not irrelevant to Irish aviation; we'll see them here).

Incidentally, is this the first time orders have been announced for EI at an air show (yes, I know, technically it's IAG!)? I can't recall their having done so before.

eicvd

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Never mind the XLR, will some of those Max’s be seen in an EI livery?
COYBIB

Galwayman

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:59 pm

Great news for EI ,,,, can the XLR do Dub > LAX in times of low demand ??? And yes I would fly a narrow body that distance before anyone asks ...

ClassicLover

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:48 pm

eicvd wrote:

Entirely possible, you'd think. They could change out the entire Airbus A320 fleet for the Boeing 737MAX order that IAG has just placed.

However... one question. IAG will assign them to BA at Gatwick, but not at LHR, as T5 can only accept aircraft with containerised baggage loading. Is Terminal 2 at LHR the same? If it is, I'd say that the MAX won't go to EI.

alancostello

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:53 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
eicvd wrote:

Entirely possible, you'd think. They could change out the entire Airbus A320 fleet for the Boeing 737MAX order that IAG has just placed.

However... one question. IAG will assign them to BA at Gatwick, but not at LHR, as T5 can only accept aircraft with containerised baggage loading. Is Terminal 2 at LHR the same? If it is, I'd say that the MAX won't go to EI.

T2 can bulk load, T5 is the only one that can't. Vueling, LEVEL and BA's Gatwick fleet make up the 200 so unless they plan on significant expansion at the respective units they'll primarily be fleet renewal, I'd be astonished if they ended up with EI or IB, they seem to be entirely focused on low-cost and leisure arms of the business.

OA260

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:54 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
I'd say that the MAX won't go to EI.

It is almost certain that they will not. Unless there is a major change over the next few years which I still doubt. Will be nice to see them at LGW in BA livery though.

Eirules

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:48 pm

OA260 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
I'd say that the MAX won't go to EI.

It is almost certain that they will not. Unless there is a major change over the next few years which I still doubt. Will be nice to see them at LGW in BA livery though.

Nice to see perhaps, nice to fly is another matter altogether
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

ClassicLover

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:59 pm

Eirules wrote:
Nice to see perhaps, nice to fly is another matter altogether

Why? Nothing wrong with the Boeing 737 MAX or no MAX.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos