oskarclare

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2019

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:55 pm

SeaEagle8 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:
Saturday at America Travel Expo in BNE, an AA rep was asked if they plan BNE of which the answer was yes. So most likely BNE is getting service from AA. Could be DFW or LAX.

Is that an actual reliable source? An AA rep? I'm sure BNE is in AA's plans. When that happens though? Who knows.

Everything so far is speculation and other sources are saying BNE is not in AA's immediate plans.

So far it sounds like LAX-MEL and more AKL service are the two main rumours from what is apparently fairly reliable sources.

With the Aus-US market under capacity and yields pressure I would be surprised if too much more is going to be added in the short term. Perhaps once this all falls into play I'm sure there will be a few net gains in frequencies and capacity but we aren't talking an additional 3 daily flights off the mark. Market would not handle it.

I don't know who the rep was I just heard it through another person. It should be reasonably reliable considering it came directly from the airline.

IndianicWorld

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:58 pm

SeaEagle8 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:
Saturday at America Travel Expo in BNE, an AA rep was asked if they plan BNE of which the answer was yes. So most likely BNE is getting service from AA. Could be DFW or LAX.

Is that an actual reliable source? An AA rep? I'm sure BNE is in AA's plans. When that happens though? Who knows.

Everything so far is speculation and other sources are saying BNE is not in AA's immediate plans.

So far it sounds like LAX-MEL and more AKL service are the two main rumours from what is apparently fairly reliable sources.

With the Aus-US market under capacity and yields pressure I would be surprised if too much more is going to be added in the short term. Perhaps once this all falls into play I'm sure there will be a few net gains in frequencies and capacity but we aren't talking an additional 3 daily flights off the mark. Market would not handle it.

I agree.

The changes may well be made over a couple of years to ensure performance is maximised and reviewed accordingly.

SeaEagle8
Topic Author

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:59 pm

oskarclare wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

I don't know who the rep was I just heard it through another person. It should be reasonably reliable considering it came directly from the airline.

Ok. Anyway. Without knowing who the "rep" is I'd still be unsure of reliability. My point is I am sure that's in their plans. When that actually happens though will have to wait and see I suppose.

Based on all the speculation it looks like both BNE and MEL may gain about 3-4 additional flights per week when the actual route announcements are made. So until routes are finalised, and equally important the frequency of these new routes is announced, who knows that the actual net gains or losses will be.

SYD will be involved in the shuffle when the 744s are retired and the rest of the fleet shuffles to make way for this.
Last edited by SeaEagle8 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
NSW based avgeek

IndianicWorld

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:01 am

oskarclare wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

Given my experience in this industry, many people in airlines aren’t exactly best placed to give reliable information.

It may well be the case that AA will be headed for BNE, but until the JV is approved, we will all have to wait and see on the actual confirmed plans.

SCFlyer

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:15 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
oskarclare wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:

Given my experience in this industry, many people in airlines aren’t exactly best placed to give reliable information.

It may well be the case that AA will be headed for BNE, but until the JV is approved, we will all have to wait and see on the actual confirmed plans.

From BNE to go from 11x weekly to 18x weekly (if the "rumours" of BNE-DFW occurs) would be way too much capacity dumping, which would absolutely trash yields on the BNE-Mainland USA routes (in addition to the low yields on Australia-USA routes in general - UA seasonal cutbacks on SYD-LAX/IAH highlights the low yielding nature of TransPac atm).

Even in the (unlikely) case of AA coming BNE on the DFW route, it may even potentially force VA/DL to cut back on BNE-LAX capacity considering Virgin/Delta are in no position to expand on TransPac atm.

At most, BNE would go from 11x to 14x weekly with the QF/AA JV reshuffle, with QF55/56 replaced with BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD making up the remainder of the frequencies of the 2x 789s. 'LAX would be reduced back to daily (the daily BNE-LAX-JFK rotation)

AA at best would be a "seasonal" addition, most likely to LAX to cater for the low yielding "School Holiday" crowd to assist with QF as part of the JV.

oskarclare

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:09 am

The rep came from AA in SYD and is in complete knowledge of the airline plans. The rep is adamant BNE will start sometime in 2020 which fits with what AA has announced as well as BAC meeting which was held 3 months or so ago advising them of these plans. Route could not be confirmed due to confidentiality.

SeaEagle8
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:33 am

oskarclare wrote:
The rep came from AA in SYD and is in complete knowledge of the airline plans. The rep is adamant BNE will start sometime in 2020 which fits with what AA has announced as well as BAC meeting which was held 3 months or so ago advising them of these plans. Route could not be confirmed due to confidentiality.

So now the rep is adamant that BNE will be starting in 2020 so there's a definitive timeline. The plot thickens.

What has AA announced? As far as I'm aware regarding the AA/QF JV they haven't said anything. Just internal rumours by various sources. Please provide the source for AA's announcement I can't find anything.

And you're privy to a meeting held by AA and BAC where they stated this fact? Who is your source for this?
NSW based avgeek

jupiter2

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:48 am

SeaEagle8 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

So now the rep is adamant that BNE will be starting in 2020 so there's a definitive timeline. The plot thickens.

What has AA announced? As far as I'm aware regarding the AA/QF JV they haven't said anything. Just internal rumours by various sources. Please provide the source for AA's announcement I can't find anything.

And you're privy to a meeting held by AA and BAC where they stated this fact? Who is your source for this?

Seriously ? Why does everyone have to need a press release to make everything believable ?

Can't people just take it for what it is and discuss possible scenarios this may mean ? I can see AA taking over the LAX/BNE and LAX/MEL flights that QF operate less than daily, freeing up those QF 787's for possible new routes, including the previously mentioned BNE/SFO and BNE /ORD. I could also see QF operate MEL/DFW and possibly SYD/YVR. Also I can see AA put the 77W back onto SYD at least seasonally.

SeaEagle8
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:54 am

jupiter2 wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

Seriously ? Why does everyone have to need a press release to make everything believable ?

Can't people just take it for what it is and discuss possible scenarios this may mean ? I can see AA taking over the LAX/BNE and LAX/MEL flights that QF operate less than daily, freeing up those QF 787's for possible new routes, including the previously mentioned BNE/SFO and BNE /ORD. I could also see QF operate MEL/DFW and possibly SYD/YVR. Also I can see AA put the 77W back onto SYD at least seasonally.

Of course it doesn't!

Unless someone says there is and they can't back it up. He's saying AA has made an announcement I'd like to see that.

Otherwise absolutely speculate away just don't back it up with rubbish. Stand behind your posts with credibility.
NSW based avgeek

Qantas737

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:05 am

SeaEagle8 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:

Of course it doesn't!

Unless someone says there is and they can't back it up. He's saying AA has made an announcement I'd like to see that.

Otherwise absolutely speculate away just don't back it up with rubbish. Stand behind your posts with credibility.

So we're not allowed to discuss hearsay and industry rumours now? This thread would be rather dull if we were only allowed to discuss press releases...

SeaEagle8
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:38 am

I don’t think you’re understanding me.

Speculate away but if you say there is a press release then provide a link to it.

That better?

Otherwise, like I’ve said speculate away and have fun with all the possibilities.
NSW based avgeek

oskarclare

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:50 am

SeaEagle8 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:

Of course it doesn't!

I'm not intending it to be read as an announcement. There has been no press release or announcement, if you misunderstood I'm sorry. All it is some information that has been picked up by another person at the expo who spoke directly to the rep and that was the response they received. All it is, is industry speculation that the person individually got from the rep because they went and talked face-to-face with them.

777Jet

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:17 am

acinvestigator wrote:
I am looking for which ground companies handle which airlines: (eg: Dnata have Emirates, etc. etc. etc. Menzies have... Swissport have... )

I am looking for data that I can make into graphs to work out what handlers have which % of the market, the most airlines, the most flights, etc.

EK413 wrote:
To the best of my knowledge here’s a brief list & as you know contracts are reviewed, renewed or terminated. I can tell you right now Dnata group has a majority of the major contracts.

Dnata - EK,SQ,EY,UL,MK,AI,

Cabin Services Australia - EK,SQ,EY,UL,AI,

Dnata Catering - EK,QF,SQ (excludes SQ ex-SYD),QR,NZ,CA,TG,EY,UL,AI,JQ,AC,HA,

QGS/QF - QF,AA,VN,PX,BA (believe recently moved back to Menzies?),SQ Cargo,FX,5X,AC (ex-SYD),

Menzies - NH,GA,UA,HNA Group,TG,AC,

Gate Gourmet - VA,SQ (SYD),BA,HNA Group carriers,JL,VN,UA,

Swissport - VA,NZ,JQ

Obvious the list goes on but gives you an idea.

EK413

FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:
Dnata: EK EY QR MU MF HU PR CZ AI AC

This is current and for ramp / baggage.

Dnata no longer do SQ but have picked up DL to start soon.

@acinvestigator: dnata also handle 3U on the ramp but it's not a daily operation.

@FlyDeltaJetsATL: I believe 26 June is the start date for the dnata / DL contract but could be wrong.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

eta unknown

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 am

The AA SYD sales rep is just saying things people want to hear. I doubt even the AA country manager knows anything at this stage either- it's too early to tell. Now there were some strong rumours of LAX-MEL starting just before the initial JV got canned, but who knows if AA's plans have changed as yields have dropped considerably since then.

jupiter2

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:37 am

eta unknown wrote:
The AA SYD sales rep is just saying things people want to hear. I doubt even the AA country manager knows anything at this stage either- it's too early to tell. Now there were some strong rumours of LAX-MEL starting just before the initial JV got canned, but who knows if AA's plans have changed as yields have dropped considerably since then.

This may well be true, the reality is also that with approval of the JV, QF and AA are expected to launch new routes as part of the approval. Of course the reality maybe a reduction in capacity on certain markets to allow route expansion elsewhere, however, I think that seasonal increases as hinted at by AA will become reality, which routes is another story of course.

I'll throw in a wildcard for a new route though, PHX/SYD on AA metal/plastic, shorter than DFW so their 789's should be able to make the distance and PHX is a decent sized operation for AA for connections, at least for a seasonal operation.

rtav

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:37 am

Poor Perth being left out of all of this - I guess we’ve set the record for the most AirAsia Indonesia aircraft on the ground at an Australian airport at any one time... 3 last night - 2 Bali’s and a Lombok.

IndianicWorld

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:35 am

jupiter2 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

This may well be true, the reality is also that with approval of the JV, QF and AA are expected to launch new routes as part of the approval. Of course the reality maybe a reduction in capacity on certain markets to allow route expansion elsewhere, however, I think that seasonal increases as hinted at by AA will become reality, which routes is another story of course.

I'll throw in a wildcard for a new route though, PHX/SYD on AA metal/plastic, shorter than DFW so their 789's should be able to make the distance and PHX is a decent sized operation for AA for connections, at least for a seasonal operation.

I like the out of the box thinking, but realistically PHX-Australia is a suggestion I think we can all write off as a non-starter anytime soon.

AA’s bigger hubs at ORD and DFW would have priority, given the connectivity and O&D advantages the larger markets offer.

QF has gone into SFO from SYD and MEL, with BNE to come also with JV approval, as it offers a significant level of O&D, especially the all important premium demand.

LAX is still the biggest overall market though, but with the fragmented network QF/AA is in a position to strengthen other parts of their offering.

qf789

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:54 pm

Virgin Australia and Virgin Atlantic set to deepen ties

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... -t-458797/
Forum Moderator

IndianicWorld

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:26 pm

qf789 wrote:

Interesting but not unexpected move.

Seems that VA continues to try and develop new avenues to strengthen its own limited international route network.

One thing though, the article does say that VA’s MEL-HKG is 6 x weekly. Pretty sure it’s back to daily now.

qf789

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:11 pm

VA474 BNE-PER diverted to MEL for fuel due to stronger than normal headwinds
Forum Moderator

qf789

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:26 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Seems that VA continues to try and develop new avenues to strengthen its own limited international route network.

One thing though, the article does say that VA’s MEL-HKG is 6 x weekly. Pretty sure it’s back to daily now.

It has been 6 weekly for the past 3 weeks
Forum Moderator

kriskim

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:46 pm

qf789 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
qf789 wrote:

It has been 6 weekly for the past 3 weeks

The flight is daily, however there are spots throughout the year, VA69 is daily with the exception of the following dates for the next 6 months: 04JUN-18JUN, 07AUG, 28 AUG, 04SEP-11SEP.
A world built upon connectivity.

qf789

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Qantas talks up 787 ops to both SCL and JNB

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-paves-t ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

rtav

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:01 am

qf789 wrote:

The 787 has the ETOPS for it but whether or not CASA will allow it. Eg. LATAM can fly SYD/MEL - SCL non-stop with the Dreamliners no problem.

getluv

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:16 am

rtav wrote:
The 787 has the ETOPS for it but whether or not CASA will allow it. Eg. LATAM can fly SYD/MEL - SCL non-stop with the Dreamliners no problem.

CASA already allow it. QF just needs to get approval for the airframes that will be doing the sectors.

https://www.casa.gov.au/files/821pdf
I'm that bad type.

zkncj

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:23 am

rtav wrote:
qf789 wrote:

NZ had been operating AKL-EZE with the 789, but we're forced to roll back to the 77E's post RR issues.

getluv

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:54 am

For those interested, BITRE International Airline Activity - March 2019 report is out.

https://www.bitre.gov.au/publications/o ... y_1903.pdf
I'm that bad type.

qf789

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:13 am

A senate report has suggested a cabotage trial from DRW

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... in-458826/
Forum Moderator

F100Flyer

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14 am

777Jet wrote:
acinvestigator wrote:
I am looking for which ground companies handle which airlines: (eg: Dnata have Emirates, etc. etc. etc. Menzies have... Swissport have... )

I am looking for data that I can make into graphs to work out what handlers have which % of the market, the most airlines, the most flights, etc.

EK413 wrote:
To the best of my knowledge here’s a brief list & as you know contracts are reviewed, renewed or terminated. I can tell you right now Dnata group has a majority of the major contracts.

QGS/QF - QF,AA,VN,PX,BA (believe recently moved back to Menzies?),SQ Cargo,FX,5X,AC (ex-SYD),

Swissport - VA,NZ,JQ

EK413

FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:

@acinvestigator: dnata also handle 3U on the ramp but it's not a daily operation.

@FlyDeltaJetsATL: I believe 26 June is the start date for the dnata / DL contract but could be wrong.

Could you please break-up your signature as it makes for difficult viewing on portable devices and forces the web page to be covered by the adverts - cheers.

777Jet

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:23 am

F100Flyer wrote:
777Jet wrote:
acinvestigator wrote:

EK413 wrote:

Swissport - VA,NZ,JQ

EK413

FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:

Could you please break-up your signature as it makes for difficult viewing on portable devices and forces the web page to be covered by the adverts - cheers.

First I've heard of that, thanks for explaining. That was the only way I could list those types without exceeding the space when I did it. I'll look into it.

@acinvestigator - Dnata also picked up LATAM but not sure of start date.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

SeaEagle8
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:45 am

getluv wrote:
For those interested, BITRE International Airline Activity - March 2019 report is out.

The pattern with NZ services continues.

LF by Airline:

QF 86.8
JQ 85.8
NZ 83.1
VA 68.1

QF, JQ and NZ have dropped approx 2% each but VA has plummeted over 14.5% since last March.
NSW based avgeek

smi0006

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:56 am

SeaEagle8 wrote:
getluv wrote:

LF by Airline:

QF 86.8
JQ 85.8
NZ 83.1
VA 68.1

QF, JQ and NZ have dropped approx 2% each but VA has plummeted over 14.5% since last March.

Ouch! I do wonder what will happen to NZ as more and more flights over fly AKL to the US, Canada, and South America.

SeaEagle8
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:03 pm

smi0006 wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:
getluv wrote:

LF by Airline:

QF 86.8
JQ 85.8
NZ 83.1
VA 68.1

Ouch! I do wonder what will happen to NZ as more and more flights over fly AKL to the US, Canada, and South America.

A lot of that traffic is local. The decreases in QF, JQ and NZ are travel pattern changes. VA’s is just a fact that their increases in capacity overall are not being absorbed. Last March VA was 82.6%
NSW based avgeek

IndianicWorld

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:12 pm

SeaEagle8 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:

LF by Airline:

QF 86.8
JQ 85.8
NZ 83.1
VA 68.1

A lot of that traffic is local. The decreases in QF, JQ and NZ are travel pattern changes. VA’s is just a fact that their increases in capacity overall are not being absorbed. Last March VA was 82.6%

One would hope that the new VA CEO would see sense and continue to trim back on sectors that are underperforming.

As for NZ, the airline likely will continue to face challenges as new direct routes are launched from Australia to North and South America.

I am flying them next month to the US and one of the main reasons was their PE product and price. Adding another stop to the itinerary isn’t ideal, but considering how much more QF and VA wanted me to pay for the privilege of the more direct routing, it was a move that made more sense on this occasion.

qf789

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:32 pm

According to the following article QF will retire A380's by 2030

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/qantas- ... 0-by-2030/
Forum Moderator

qf2220

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 am

qf789 wrote:
According to the following article QF will retire A380's by 2030

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/qantas- ... 0-by-2030/

Im not sure that is entirely accurate based on the actual quote in the article*.

“We are reconfiguring the A380s as we speak. It will take a year to reconfigure all twelve of them. We are committed to operating the aircraft for another up to ten years,” --- Alan Joyce

That isn't saying they are retiring by 2030. That is just one option of a few translations of that sentence.

* Unless there are unreported quotes of course.

waoz1

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:08 am

getluv wrote:

With the NT government nearly broke wonder how much longer they can afford to prop up a China service with only about 30% utilisation.

a7ala

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:42 am

waoz1 wrote:
getluv wrote:

With the NT government nearly broke wonder how much longer they can afford to prop up a China service with only about 30% utilisation.

Not the only vulnerable one:

- Garuda mid-50's
- Nauru mid-30's
- Royal Brunei, Samoan, Solomon around 50%

The other interesting one is Qatar. A really odd 46% inbound 80% outbound?!?! Looks like all QR ports seem to be very asymmetric - could it be a data issue? Also numbers suggest DOH-ADL circa 40% in March.

Qantas16

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:21 am

a7ala wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
getluv wrote:

- Garuda mid-50's
- Nauru mid-30's

The other interesting one is Qatar. A really odd 46% inbound 80% outbound?!?! Looks like all QR ports seem to be very asymmetric - could it be a data issue? Also numbers suggest DOH-ADL circa 40% in March.

Nauru, Solomons and Samoan (though to a lesser extent) are important lifelines that the local government is very unlikely to sever. They are incredibly important to the countries economy and it's unlikely anyone would step in to fill the gap if they were to fold.

aryonoco

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:24 am

QF 94 LAX MEL delayed by 11 hours 20 minutes

Anyone know what the issue is?

Are passengers typically entitled to a hotel room or something in such a circumstance?

tullamarine

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:07 am

aryonoco wrote:

Are passengers typically entitled to a hotel room or something in such a circumstance?

Yes typically they would be offered a hotel room. In addition, for those with a pressing time need, QF would try to get them onto alternative services via BNE or SYD or with other carriers such as UA or VA though all of this obviously depends on whether there are seats on any of the other services.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

qf789

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 am

a7ala wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
getluv wrote:

- Garuda mid-50's
- Nauru mid-30's

That is not that unusual for that time of the year for QR. Also remember Easter was later this year so some of the March figures will be down on last year.

While on the subject of QR I am looking forward to next month's figures, I am pretty sure they had the best outbound figures of any carrier out of PER for April.
Forum Moderator

aryonoco

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:49 am

tullamarine wrote:
Yes typically they would be offered a hotel room. In addition, for those with a pressing time need, QF would try to get them onto alternative services via BNE or SYD or with other carriers such as UA or VA though all of this obviously depends on whether there are seats on any of the other services.

My friend is on this flight, and as a QF FF, she's very much not impressed with QF's communication.

She's asked multiple times for an alternate arrangement but the only options they have offered her is to cancel the ticket, or fly one day or two days later. Also they have been less than clear about whether she's entitled to a hotel room at LAX, and just point her to the compensation section of the website.

She flies JFK-MEL at least twice a year, and is seriously thinking about moving her business to NZ as a result of this.

QF support also equivocated as to the reason for the delay. First they blamed Air Traffic Low(sic) Management . Then it turns out it's due to crew timing.

Delays happen and are understandable. Being unclear with passengers who are stranded is frustrating.

Obzerva

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:10 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

One would hope that the new VA CEO would see sense and continue to trim back on sectors that are underperforming.

As for NZ, the airline likely will continue to face challenges as new direct routes are launched from Australia to North and South America.

I am flying them next month to the US and one of the main reasons was their PE product and price. Adding another stop to the itinerary isn’t ideal, but considering how much more QF and VA wanted me to pay for the privilege of the more direct routing, it was a move that made more sense on this occasion.

I think the VA CEO does agree with you, they announced capacity reductions mid May

getluv

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Speaking of the NT, Qantas is launching thrice (Wed/Fri/Sun) weekly DRW-BME flights from October 27 on Fokker 100s. At this stage the route is running until the end of March 2020.

Link (Paywalled)
I'm that bad type.

qf789

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Fairwork signs off on TT pilot contract

https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/ ... -contract/
Forum Moderator

RyanairGuru

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:33 pm

aryonoco wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

My friend is on this flight, and as a QF FF, she's very much not impressed with QF's communication.

She's asked multiple times for an alternate arrangement but the only options they have offered her is to cancel the ticket, or fly one day or two days later. Also they have been less than clear about whether she's entitled to a hotel room at LAX, and just point her to the compensation section of the website.

She flies JFK-MEL at least twice a year, and is seriously thinking about moving her business to NZ as a result of this.

QF support also equivocated as to the reason for the delay. First they blamed Air Traffic Low(sic) Management . Then it turns out it's due to crew timing.

Delays happen and are understandable. Being unclear with passengers who are stranded is frustrating.

There is realistically no reacommodstion option available. Given that all Australian departures leave at roughly the same time by the time the extent of the delay was known they would all have closed for check-in, and quite probably already departed, and there are no other flights for another 24 hours. Waiting for the delayed QF94 would have been the quickest option in those circumstances.

As to the reason for the delay, it doesn't sound like Qantas are being particularly shifty there, although I have no idea what you are alluding to about ATC. It sounds like there was a delay beyond their control which rolled on until the crew timed out. At that point the flight cannot depart even if ATC were going to dispatch them 2 minutes later. While frustrating, it is what it is and in those circumstances there is not much anyone can do to prevent it.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

RyanairGuru

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 pm

tullamarine wrote:
aryonoco wrote:

Rebooking between QF and VA is the absolute last option below anything else as there is no established ticketing interline between the two airlines. Neither will book you on the other out of choice.

QF and UA put people on each other's trans-Pacific flights on a regular basis. I've seen QF passengers rebooked on UA and UA passengers rebooked on QF on quite a few occasions.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

aryonoco

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:32 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

As to the reason for the delay, it doesn't sound like Qantas are being particularly shifty there, although I have no idea what you are alluding to about ATC. It sounds like there was a delay beyond their control which rolled on until the crew timed out. At that point the flight cannot depart even if ATC were going to dispatch them 2 minutes later. While frustrating, it is what it is and in those circumstances there is not much anyone can do to prevent it.

Yes, and I agree. Update on QF 94, the ground crew were lovely, and they of course took care of hotels etc during the delay. Good to hear that QF's JFK crew are still at the top of their game.

SCFlyer

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:57 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
aryonoco wrote:

Rebooking between QF and VA is the absolute last option below anything else as there is no established ticketing interline between the two airlines. Neither will book you on the other out of choice.

QF and UA put people on each other's trans-Pacific flights on a regular basis. I've seen QF passengers rebooked on UA and UA passengers rebooked on QF on quite a few occasions.

UA will rebook on anyone except VA in case of disruptions affecting their TransPacific operations as VA and UA doesn't have a interline agreement of current (The old UA/VA interline recently expired over 12 months ago and UA no longer appears on VA's interline list).
UA can also rebook on 1 stop options via HA, FJ, TN, etc

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos