IndianicWorld

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2019

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:26 pm

VHZNE wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:

Thank you for this link and news. Another article below said that a passenger ended up in hospital after falling down the stairs. This does not surprise me unfortunately.

Unfortunately that isn't an uncommon occurrence, not just from HBA but other airports within Aus as well.

Ramps will be a good improvement however care would still need to be taken in rain, as would walking anywhere in bad weather conditions.

Avalon has a covered ramp in use, so there are other options available to at least mitigate those risks.

https://www.starweekly.com.au/localbusi ... -upif0319/

Ryanair01

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:42 pm

A bit of well-placed gossip about VA international, which no I can't substantiate, but comes from sources who would know.

A lot of bitterness between HNA and VA right now. It was expected Hong Kong Airlines would market and fill the HKG flights but VA feels they've been completely 'screwed over' (screw not the word used). HNA & Hong Kong Airlines have completely lost interest in Australia.

Without HNA & Hong Kong Airlines ability to fill ex HKG, combined with CX & QF price dumping and VA's inability to capture market share losses could reach eight figures (from launch). The A330's need to be flown somewhere so they'll stick with it for now and are aiming for c.30 extra pax per flight from the proposed VS JV, up from 5-6 pax per flight today. There's a belief VS can deliver most of that uplift in the form of 'premium leisure' tourists ex UK (which I can sort of believe). If it goes ahead VS will put the A350 on LHR-HKG. VS commercial is cynical as they're allegedly unhappy that VA doesn't have Premium Economy to HKG and that this may be a problem.

VS have no intention of flying to PER, that's just SRB making stuff up for publicity.

LAX is apparently working well enough for VA and DL with no major changes likely.

Scurrah allegedly doesn't believe in the virtual network strategy because he feels it fails to give VA enough control over pricing.

Tigerair's focus is trying to get their house in order. Their 737 transition is back on track with the new pilot deal, fewer routes but increased capacity on those which stay, with a commercial focus on 'urban millennials' who typically don't engage with credit cards & loyalty reward schemes like Velocity. Some of the medium-haul international routes (think the islands) might move over to Tiger because of their lower cost base, but not until Tiger domestic has been stabilized with no specific plans just yet.

I can't personally vouch for any of this, but the insight is from well-placed people.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:15 pm

Ryanair01 wrote:
A bit of well-placed gossip about VA international, which no I can't substantiate, but comes from sources who would know.

A lot of bitterness between HNA and VA right now. It was expected Hong Kong Airlines would market and fill the HKG flights but VA feels they've been completely 'screwed over' (screw not the word used). HNA & Hong Kong Airlines have completely lost interest in Australia.

Without HNA & Hong Kong Airlines ability to fill ex HKG, combined with CX & QF price dumping and VA's inability to capture market share losses could reach eight figures (from launch). The A330's need to be flown somewhere so they'll stick with it for now and are aiming for c.30 extra pax per flight from the proposed VS JV, up from 5-6 pax per flight today. There's a belief VS can deliver most of that uplift in the form of 'premium leisure' tourists ex UK (which I can sort of believe). If it goes ahead VS will put the A350 on LHR-HKG. VS commercial is cynical as they're allegedly unhappy that VA doesn't have Premium Economy to HKG and that this may be a problem.

VS have no intention of flying to PER, that's just SRB making stuff up for publicity.

LAX is apparently working well enough for VA and DL with no major changes likely.

Scurrah allegedly doesn't believe in the virtual network strategy because he feels it fails to give VA enough control over pricing.

Tigerair's focus is trying to get their house in order. Their 737 transition is back on track with the new pilot deal, fewer routes but increased capacity on those which stay, with a commercial focus on 'urban millennials' who typically don't engage with credit cards & loyalty reward schemes like Velocity. Some of the medium-haul international routes (think the islands) might move over to Tiger because of their lower cost base, but not until Tiger domestic has been stabilized with no specific plans just yet.

I can't personally vouch for any of this, but the insight is from well-placed people.

Every single observation you raise seems eminently logical.

I am not surprised in the slightest that HKG has been a financial disaster, after all fares have crashed since they entered the market and they are the weakest competitor against CX and QF who are both entrenched in the market. I would be concerned though if they think VS feed is going to help turn things around in HKG.

Firstly, the connections on the SYD/MEL-HKG-LHR sectors are over 6 hours. When there are so many convenient options from Australia to London this would only be attractive to someone looking for a stopover in HKG anyway or very price conscious traffic. Even Velocity members are unlikely to choose VA when EY and SQ offer significantly better optoons. Second, the lack of Premium Economy is a good point. People might be more willing to accept the long connection for a good deal in Premium, but they have closed themself off from that somewhat lucrative source of passengers. Thirdly, while fares between Australia and Hong Kong are trash, between Australia and UK are hardly any better. The likes of QR have added so much capacity that fares have been pushed to unsustainably low levels.

In short, while they talk about 'premium leisure', on account of the terrible schedules at present I really can't imagine why anyone would attach a 'premium' to flying VS/VA, and ultimately they will end of chasing QR and BI for the lowest yield passengers.

On the flipside, I'm not surprised that LAX is doing 'well enough'. Statements from VA had always led me believe that LAX was breakeven-to-sligntly-profitable, but I've read several posts over recent months where people have said that it must be loss making. That confused me as, from my perspective, VA have never said anything publically that gave rise to that inference. The route is definitely not a runaway success, but 'good enough' seems to sum it up well.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

NTLDaz

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:18 pm

Ryanair01 wrote:

If the outbound connections were better timed VA / VS becomes an attractive option to LHR.

x1234

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:21 pm

If VA were smart they'd launch SFO or LAS or SEA or another gateway into the USA.

SeaEagle8
Topic Author

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:11 pm

x1234 wrote:
If VA were smart they'd launch SFO or LAS or SEA or another gateway into the USA.

Really? How would this make VA smart?
Flying 777s to these places would be a disaster in my opinion. Therefore I’d suggest they would be smart not launching anything further to the US. If they can barely make LAX work for them.

I think they also need to look closer to home too with short haul international. Cutting some NZ capacity is a good start. Remember they added a flood of seats but actually carried fewer passengers since the breakup.
NSW based avgeek

Obzerva

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:32 pm

Ryanair01 wrote:

So fast forward to a year's time, either the VA/VS and occasional HX customer has worked for HKG, then all good.

If it doesn't work, then what's the next move for VA and the A330s?
Do they downsize the fleet?
Do they put them back on trans con flights domestically?

Or do they launch a new destination, if so what are the options there?
They replace a couple of SQ flights to SIN? (with SQ codesharing on them obviously)
or does SA's constant financial plight mean that VA could make a move on PER-JNB supplementing or replacing SA?

SCFlyer

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:46 pm

x1234 wrote:

SFO and LAS makes no sense whatsoever. They are not hubs for DL. LAS is also tourist/low yielding/budget fares territory for the most part.

SEA is a very slim chance as it is a DL hub, however chances of that (on either DL or VA) would be very little to none.

IndianicWorld

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:19 am

I find the comments around the virtual network to be quite odd, given that VA are in no position to expand their own ops to have control over those services. The virtual network seems to be more of a necessity.

As for HNA, who knows what their priorities are. Given their challenges, that may change day to day, so VA is left to have to deal with that.

VA’s ownership structure does it no favours though, with the likelihood that self interest makes each decision a far more involved process than it should.

As for the US network, it is fine as it is. VA does not have the resources to take any other routes on there. The LAX focus may at first seem a bit myopic, but when looking at operational efficiency and risk profile of starting other destinations, I am sure VA/DL are happy with how that is currently placed.

Only really SEA has a chance in future, but that would be better placed with DL if they ever saw a need for it.

Pcoder

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:46 am

Hopefully this means they are considering joining an alliance. The Nigel no friends virtual network just doesn't attract the amount frequent flyers that Virgin should have.

SCFlyer

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:07 am

Pcoder wrote:
Hopefully this means they are considering joining an alliance. The Nigel no friends virtual network just doesn't attract the amount frequent flyers that Virgin should have.

Don't see any Alliance membership forthcoming under the current CEO either.

Star Alliance is no longer an option for VA due to the NZ bust-up, and it's not likely that NZ/UA will lift their veto rights on any potential (but unlikely) VA application (in addition to NZ's alleged demands for VA to give all international). Oneworld is out of the question for obvious reasons.

SkyTeam is VA's only alliance choice available to them, especially with VS/VA about to file a JV and the increasing chances that DL/VA will renew their JV at the end of 2020. In other words, it's either SkyTeam or continue with no alliance/bespoke relationships for VA.

CraigAnderson

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:17 am

x1234 wrote:

We clearly have different definitions of "smart".

Zero onwards traffic from SFO and LAS, so zero appeal to Delta. SFO already covered by Qantas and United ex-SYD and MEL so this is already highly competitive for the limited market. LAS leans towards budget end of the market except for conventions, which could see some premium travel, but that's very limited.

SEA would be an interesting one because it's a "monopoly route" with no other ex-AU flights so this would give VA best chance for success. It's actually good because of the tech market, the fact that Seattle's an interesting city, it's a gateway to the Alaskan cruise market and also close to Canada for ski season. Maybe a VA-AS partnership could work here.

But right now I would suggest that if VA was smart it'd be thinking more about getting its current network and operations sorted and even rationalised before adding new US routes.

CraigAnderson

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:22 am

SCFlyer wrote:
SkyTeam is VA's only alliance choice available to them, especially with VS/VA about to file a JV and the increasing chances that DL/VA will renew their JV at the end of 2020. In other words, it's either SkyTeam or continue with no alliance/bespoke relationships for VA.

Still an opportunity for Star Alliance as partner SQ would carry a truckload more weight than NZ, and the biggest issue between VA and NZ was the clash between two very different CEOS, Borghetti and Luxon. Both are now gone. I'd say Scrurrah could run a 'beauty contest' for both Star and SkyTeam to see which is most appealing, which has the most to offer Virgin and which wants Virgin the most. Star has previously said it wasn't interested in Virgin but I reckon that was just talk, they'd love to have another key member and in a 'new' market like Australia.

SCFlyer

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:50 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Still an opportunity for Star Alliance as partner SQ would carry a truckload more weight than NZ, and the biggest issue between VA and NZ was the clash between two very different CEOS, Borghetti and Luxon. Both are now gone. I'd say Scrurrah could run a 'beauty contest' for both Star and SkyTeam to see which is most appealing, which has the most to offer Virgin and which wants Virgin the most. Star has previously said it wasn't interested in Virgin but I reckon that was just talk, they'd love to have another key member and in a 'new' market like Australia.

Star Alliance's position on VA hasn't changed much the last time they were asked (see the quote from the Star Alliance ceo (source: Australian Aviation) below)
Another consideration is that UA will want VA to dump DL, which isn't going to be likely anytime soon. Until that happens, UA's veto is likely to stand.

SQ are hands-off in VA and aren't likely to do anything. Going devil's advocate here, if the article where the SQ group blames VA for a profit downturn in Q3 2018 is to go by, I would not be surprised if SQ actually wants out but isn't able to (due to wanting Australian feed).

Chances are that VA/DL will be increasingly likely to renew their JV at the end of 2020 on the back of the pending VA/VS JV tie-up. Which would put a nail into the coffin of any potential VA/Star membership.

Star Alliance via Australian Aviation magazine wrote:
Asked what interest there was from Star Alliance regarding adding an Australian full or Connecting Partner member, Goh said there were a “number of network considerations” for any potential Virgin Australia membership, given the airline’s existing partnerships.

“Virgin has a joint-venture with Delta and so we’ve got to understand what impact that has on someone like United and Air Canada flying across the Pacific,” Goh said.

“We’ve got to also understand whether they will add more value from the perspective of Air New Zealand, which now has a relationship with Qantas."

https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/ ... tal-focus/

qf002

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:16 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Star Alliance is no longer an option for VA due to the NZ bust-up, and it's not likely that NZ/UA will lift their veto rights on any potential (but unlikely) VA application (in addition to NZ's alleged demands for VA to give all international).

You never know, new CEOs at both VA and NZ might open the door to a new partnership.

And I would have though UA would be thrilled to gain an Australian partner? Especially if it meant potentially weakening DL along the way.

NTLDaz

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:44 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
x1234 wrote:

We clearly have different definitions of "smart".

Zero onwards traffic from SFO and LAS, so zero appeal to Delta. SFO already covered by Qantas and United ex-SYD and MEL so this is already highly competitive for the limited market. LAS leans towards budget end of the market except for conventions, which could see some premium travel, but that's very limited.

SEA would be an interesting one because it's a "monopoly route" with no other ex-AU flights so this would give VA best chance for success. It's actually good because of the tech market, the fact that Seattle's an interesting city, it's a gateway to the Alaskan cruise market and also close to Canada for ski season. Maybe a VA-AS partnership could work here.

But right now I would suggest that if VA was smart it'd be thinking more about getting its current network and operations sorted and even rationalised before adding new US routes.

SEA would be an interesting move. DL are huge in SEA so fits the JV well. Tend to agree though around your thoughts about getting current ops working better.

If the 787 was around when V Australia was started it may be different.

getluv

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:46 am

- VA are not in the financial position to join alliances. This is extremely expensive as it requires all sorts of deals and IT upgrades to go foward.
- SQ and VAs relationship is very much a hands off and probably glad that they are. VA signing up new JV deals all over the place in direct competition with SQ also doesn’t help. I could see SQ dumping them any moment if they got the cash.
- UA and SQ don’t get along, and with VAs relationship with DL I don’t think UA will be rolling out the red carpet.
- NZ and QFs agreement is probably 5-10 years long.
- there’s probably enough bad blood in the NZ and VA ranks.
I'm that bad type.

xiaotung

Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:51 am

*A now has a sub membership called Connecting Partners. It's inexpensive and requires cooperation with minimum of 3 *A members. It could open the door for VA and a workaround with NZ and UA for the time being. NH and AC both have signaled willingness to work with VA. Plus SQ that's already 3 members.

I still believe VA should be NZ's choice of partner. With the new CEO's on both sides, perhaps things could change when the current QF deal runs out.

It would take something extraordinary for UA to replace DL as partner on the US routes but SkyTeam is no closer than Star due to SQ and even EY is getting cosy with Star.

SCFlyer

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:01 am

xiaotung wrote:
*A now has a sub membership called Connecting Partners. It's inexpensive and requires cooperation with minimum of 3 *A members. It could open the door for VA and a workaround with NZ and UA for the time being. NH and AC both have signaled willingness to work with VA. Plus SQ that's already 3 members.

I still believe VA should be NZ's choice of partner. With the new CEO's on both sides, perhaps things could change when the current QF deal runs out.

It would take something extraordinary for UA to replace DL as partner on the US routes but SkyTeam is no closer than Star due to SQ and even EY is getting cosy with Star.

And the "so-called" saviour SQ is not likely to "take over VA" either considering they publicly stated they haven't exactly been happy with VA's investment of late.

I wouldn't be surprised if SQ actually wants out, but isn't able to due to the JV (until it expires at the end of 2021). Whether SQ renews that or departs VA from both JV and a equity perspective is yet to be seen.

QF/NZ codeshare ends at the end of 2023 (on the assumption it runs for 5 years).

Considering the pending VS/VA JV is likely to be under the instruction of DL (as VS's half-owner), there's a better chance of a "DL takeover" of VA than with the "so-called" saviour that is SQ (which doesn't exactly have a track record of succesfull investments - e.g the NZ group (including AN) in the 90s, Vistara, VS and VA).

Qantas16

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:14 am

mical wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
It is due to the 737MAX Grounding they have been sending A330's to cover along with leased 737s

What have they been using to ADL? Can an NG 737 make NAN-ADL without heavy weight restrictions.

Yes, using the 737-800's with a few blanked out seats.
This is what FJ used on the ADL route before they had the MAX.

Speaking of... looks like ADL-NAN is all over

Fiji Airways in recent weeks adjusted Nadi – Adelaide schedule, last flight scheduled on 20JUL19. No resumption date filed as of 29JUN19

Source: https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 4775878657

Will be a shame for ADL, but probably not surprising given FJ's ongoing issues with the 737MAX.

BAeRJ100

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:28 am

Sorry if it's already been asked, I have seen the posts re: flight cancellations and a damaged aircraft, but not much else. Anyone know what the actual deal is with VH-VPH? I see she positioned to VCV a week ago.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

SeaEagle8
Topic Author

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:40 am

Qantas16 wrote:
mical wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

What have they been using to ADL? Can an NG 737 make NAN-ADL without heavy weight restrictions.

Fiji Airways in recent weeks adjusted Nadi – Adelaide schedule, last flight scheduled on 20JUL19. No resumption date filed as of 29JUN19

Will be a shame for ADL, but probably not surprising given FJ's ongoing issues with the 737MAX.

Im sure this is only temporary until the Max issue is resolved.
NSW based avgeek

Qantas16

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:43 am

SeaEagle8 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
mical wrote:

Potentially, though the route is still relatively new and infrequent so could just as easily be a convenient excuse to axe the route. I can't speak for the routes overall performance one way or the other.

SeaEagle8
Topic Author

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:49 am

Qantas16 wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Potentially, though the route is still relatively new and infrequent so could just as easily be a convenient excuse to axe the route. I can't speak for the routes overall performance one way or the other.

Possibly. But I guess in the interim something had to give. Until the Max issue is resolved there have to be temporary casualties. I keep reading the US carriers' updates due to the grounding. Dealing with large fleets you have a lot more flexibility working around groundings. Dealing with a very small fleet, even losing one or two aircraft can be extremely challenging.

I am pretty sure Fiji Airways has sent their A330s to MEL in the past during peak periods so it's not that unusal to see them there.
NSW based avgeek

brucetiki

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:22 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
HM7 wrote:
I just read an article (below) about QF 747 points planes. Anyone have more info?

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-considers-boeing-747-points-plane-for-frequent-flyers

I'm positive that I saw an item on Airline Route yesterday which listed some domestic 747 sectors QF was planning to operate in the near future. However, the item seems now to have been removed from Airline Route - perhaps the announcement was premature.

To be honest, I didn't pay too much attention to the exact sectors or the dates involved, but I recall that ADL, SYD, MEL and BNE were all involved. Maybe PER as well, though (as I say) I didn't pay too much attention.

Those are domestic ‘positioning’ sectors for Antarctic charters.

Yep they're still on sale.

qf789

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:36 am

BAeRJ100 wrote:
Sorry if it's already been asked, I have seen the posts re: flight cancellations and a damaged aircraft, but not much else. Anyone know what the actual deal is with VH-VPH? I see she positioned to VCV a week ago.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything yet. I would say its at VCV for 2 reasons, the first for repairs and secondly depending on the nature of the damage the aircraft may need painting as well
Forum Moderator

qf789

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:39 am

Employees at REX calling for the airline to be grounded over safety concerns

https://www.9news.com.au/national/natio ... t1uxywWJbs
Forum Moderator

qf789

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:14 am

QR900 diverted to CMB for a medical, should arrive in PER about 6 hours late
Forum Moderator

qf789

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Please continue discussion in Australian Aviation Thread July 2019

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1426003
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos