ameya

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - June 2019

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:39 pm

[urlhttps://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/that-was-fast-mumbai-airport-returns-to-peak-capacity-after-void-created-by-jet-airways-demise-3726041.htm]That was fast! Mumbai airport returns to peak capacity after void created by Jet Airways’ demise[/url]

Much has been talked about the capacity in Indian aviation. First, it was all about overcapacity and post-suspension of Jet Airways on April 17, the conversation veered towards lack of capacity. In the melee for capacity addition, at the forefront was Mumbai – the most congested airport in the country.

For years, Mumbai could release only limited slots for air traffic. With no room for growth, encroachments, intersecting runways and harsh monsoon – there is little that the airport operator could do to increase the capacity. Along with Airports Authority of India (AAI), GVK, the operator of the Mumbai airport, reached peak levels of handling air traffic movements and became the busiest single runway airport in the world, with more than 1,000 movements in a day.

Against such a gloomy backdrop, it was obvious that airlines would clamour for slots at the airport the moment they were available after the collapse of Jet Airways. Data analysed by Network Thoughts for the last 13 months shows that the departures have been back at a faster rate than anybody would have anticipated.

unrave

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:39 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

But having a fierce defender of falsehood as finance minister, one can do anything. Even shutting down another in months.

Slander, libellous content and political conspiracies do not belong in this thread.
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:50 pm

VTCIE wrote:
Not that Delta wants an Indian partner anyway. Once bitten, twice shy. DL will have to go it alone in the country. It will simply make do without the local feed—OR it can enter into a partnership with GoAir, as that is all that is left. Gol in Brazil, Go in India!

Until A321XLR starts connecting European hubs in a big way, EU/US legacies need some local partner. The never-ending drama in Indian aviation theatre may speedup XLR deployment even to AMS, FRA, LHR, and CDG.

VTORD

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:50 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Did I miss a UA flight to India?
Lightsaber

This will certainly help with the upcoming SFO-DEL I suppose. Does anyone have visibility in to what the advance bookings look like?

dtw2hyd wrote:
SQ, JAL and now UA, seems like UK is the preferred partner for *A

JAL is OW....as is BA but I am not exactly sure what their code share with BA entails....I thought it was very ex-DEL for India domestic but I could be wrong.
I do agree with @unrave about choosing to go with UK over AI. But what do I know...

dtw2hyd wrote:
AI fits the bill. Modi may shut down AI anytime, so no guarantee there either.

Don't hold me to this but most political commentators (on the right) seem to think AI will continue under the Modi Government. The general consensus seems to be that "Modinomics" is mostly about making PSUs more efficient v outright disinvestment.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:08 pm

VTORD wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
AI fits the bill. Modi may shut down AI anytime, so no guarantee there either.

Don't hold me to this but most political commentators (on the right) seem to think AI will continue under the Modi Government. The general consensus seems to be that "Modinomics" is mostly about making PSUs more efficient v outright disinvestment.

I don't disagree with any opinion because I don't have the crystal ball, I just state my opinion and it may not make sense to many.

The benefits of shutting down AI is two-fold for Modi. 1) Achieve divestment targets, it was pitiful during the first term. 2) Those who were unhappy with 9W ruin distribution can be calmed. Had J&J did the hit job quietly #2 wouldn't have raised.

FligtReporter

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:23 pm

The Day AI stops flying I will Stop posting and delete my account here.

unrave

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:24 pm

VTORD wrote:

AI is the first PSU slated to be divested though. A revised Memorandum is expected to be out as early as next month.

On a side note, it takes Ameerpet level genius to equate divestment to shutting down.

unrave

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:26 pm

FligtReporter wrote:

What makes you think that AI will suddenly stop flying?

FligtReporter

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:36 pm

unrave wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

What makes you think that AI will suddenly stop flying?

Nothing bro.thats why I know Im probably gonna be here in these forums for as long as i live..Cuz I know AI ain goin nowhere for at least till ETERNITY...why ?
All those ultra genius folks who think shutting down Asia's oldest airline is THAT EASY..then No it aint for myriads of reasons

1.AI is the hope for millions of Non Resident Indians and their families in India and a lot more reasons which I have explained in my earlier posts

2.AI is the oldest Asian airline and I know it makes losses however the MOST any gov could do is either SELL IT to someone who can run it properly or IMPROVISE IT.

there r myriads of OTHER innumerable reasons why AI SHUT DOWN aint a possibility not even in the dreams of anyone,EXCEPT FOR HATERS :lol:

SHUTTING DOWN and DISINVESTMENT are two very opposite things...However I guess some dont tend to comprehend it brother.

Its always nice to learn and understand your views..Thanks for your comments !

FligtReporter

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:55 pm

GREAT NEWS from AI

AI will be flying between INDORE and DUBAI using A320Neos probably...the bookinga have started and many ppl have already booked their flights.

Im Loving the "Maharaja" Expansion !

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/indore/ ... 838996.cms

CaliguyNYC

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:15 pm

VTCIE wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
binayak wrote:
Vistara and United Airlines will code share as per latest news.
Well Delta seriously lost the battle here. I think DL will try AI now

SQ, JAL and now UA, seems like UK is the preferred partner for *A. Would UK being an FSC be able to match 9W Mumbai domestic network, time will tell.

DL appears to be looking for a partner which has a bigger network and less likely to disappear quickly like 9W. AI fits the bill. Modi may shut down AI anytime, so no guarantee there either.

lightsaber wrote:
binayak wrote:
Vistara and United Airlines will code share as per latest news.
Well Delta seriously lost the battle here. I think DL will try AI now

I thought DL would lean towards SpiceJet or Indigo. What prevents them from partnering? With Vistara owner in *A, partnering with UA seems like the right thing to do.

Did I miss a UA flight to India?

Lightsaber

janders wrote:
Well that reduces chance Delta will be able to partner with Vistara for its upcoming India service.

Not that Delta wants an Indian partner anyway. Once bitten, twice shy. DL will have to go it alone in the country. It will simply make do without the local feed—OR it can enter into a partnership with GoAir, as that is all that is left. Gol in Brazil, Go in India!

Really where do you get that from. I think DL would love to have an Indian partner. They just need to find one that is right. And they really lost little with 9W so why be shy. They didn't invest nor lose revenue. Jet did exactly what DL wanted when they were flying (infact right until the end, 9W was adding flights to DL/VS/KL/AF hubs - MAN). I am sure they are bummed that 9W closed, but they will move on. My guess DL will just wait it out for a bit. I think enough Indian airlines interline with DL that a code share for a 1-2hour domestic flight is not essential to have now. If Spice steps up, maybe they will be the partner. I think what DL really wants is an Indian airline with a strong FF / corp client base and willing to fly long haul (all things being equal, I think DL would rather leave most of the India-EU flying to a local partner). But times change...

Btw I thought UA and SQ are not really close. I think UA partnered with UK, not because it is part owned by a star airline, but because they are the best FSC left. Remember 9W, at one time, was in bed with DL, UA and AA. The DL partnership killed 9W's relationship with UA and AA. Also shows that the DL partnership really offered 9W what they wanted so they cut their relationships with a slew of NA and EU airlines.

devmapper

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:46 pm

Sigh, some part of me wants AI to try giving UA the finger and codesharing with AS and B6. Shift one of the SFO flights to SJC and codeshare with AS to major West Coast airports. Shut down the IAD flight in favor of a second daily DEL-JFK and funnel passengers through B6 codeshares up and down the East Coast and to the Caribbean. I know it's not going to happen while it is under bureaucratic control, but I hope when the GOI manages to sell it, someone with a little bit of ego buys AI.

CaliguyNYC

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:52 pm

devmapper wrote:
Sigh, some part of me wants AI to try giving UA the finger and codesharing with AS and B6. Shift one of the SFO flights to SJC and codeshare with AS to major West Coast airports. Shut down the IAD flight in favor of a second daily DEL-JFK and funnel passengers through B6 codeshares up and down the East Coast and to the Caribbean. I know it's not going to happen while it is under bureaucratic control, but I hope when the GOI manages to sell it, someone with a little bit of ego buys AI.

Well UA still offers its FF good earnings on AI. While not as high as LH, pretty dam close (including premium cabins). Look at the earning DL offers some of its so called partners. AI has absolutely benefitted from UA FF at ORD, SFO, EWR, IAD (they are all UA hubs). So perhaps UA just doesn't want to put people on AI because of AI's reputation. I know it may not be fair but perhaps it is that rather than UA hating AI or something. I would add UA competes with AI on EWR-BOM and SFO-DEL and yet still doesn't screw AI on FF earnings.

edealinfo

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:28 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

But having a fierce defender of falsehood as finance minister, one can do anything. Even shutting down another in months.
Could you kindly elaborate even if what you intended to say is opinionated or speculative. Otherwise we wouldn’t know what you meant

edealinfo

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:33 pm

FligtReporter wrote:

Also how on earth they dont have El Al and AI in their top 100
:

maybe it was the bed bugs that bit several passengers on several flights between India and Newark on Air India.... that pulled them off that list? Or, do you think this doesn’t disqualify AI from the top 100?

edealinfo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:19 am

Vistara adds 62 new flights

1. With the new flights included, Vistara will operate direct flights from Mumbai to 10 cities, adding Ahmedabad, Chandigarh, Chennai and Varanasi to the six other cities it already flies to from Mumbai, namely Amritsar, Bengaluru, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad and Kolkata.

2. While Frequencies on Mumbai-Goa, Delhi-Amritsar and Delhi-Guwahati routes are being scaled to two flights per day, the Mumbai-Kolkata, Mumbai-Hyderabad services will be operated three times a day, the airline said, adding that the services on Delhi-Kolkata route will be four times per day.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/vista ... 716271.htm

edealinfo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:25 am

Airline share of Mumbai airport slots:

Indigo: 40% (they shouldn't be allowed more slots for heaven's sake!)
SpiceJet: 19%
Air India: 16%
Go Air: 15% (time for the owners to sell out while they have a decent share of Bombay slots and the aviation business gets even tougher)
Vistara: 7%
Air Asia India: 3%

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/that- ... 726041.htm

edealinfo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 am

United Airlines will codeshare on 20 Vistara flights. Given that UA's planes land in the dead of the night, will Vistara operate night flights or are passengers expected to spend 5 to 8 hours in the airport at night waiting for their morning Vistara flight?

https://www.eturbonews.com/255696/unite ... h-vistara/

vadodara

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:24 am

edealinfo wrote:
United Airlines will codeshare on 20 Vistara flights. Given that UA's planes land in the dead of the night, will Vistara operate night flights or are passengers expected to spend 5 to 8 hours in the airport at night waiting for their morning Vistara flight?

https://www.eturbonews.com/255696/unite ... h-vistara/

That’s what BOM hub always has been.

CaliguyNYC

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:37 am

If Vistara is getting all the FSC intl carriers to code share with it, perhaps it should try launching 3am flights from BOM like Jet had - I think DEL, AMD, BLR, HYD, MAA and CCu had flights (but not sure list is right)

FligtReporter

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:41 am

edealinfo wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Also how on earth they dont have El Al and AI in their top 100
:

maybe it was the bed bugs that bit several passengers on several flights between India and Newark on Air India.... that pulled them off that list? Or, do you think this doesn’t disqualify AI from the top 100?

Well Bed bugs could be the reason but then for them to put an airline which BEATS Down its Paasengers and drags their behind off the plane to be on the list does sort of feel as the irony strangling itself....Or Do you think that shouldnt disqualify UA from the top 100 ? Oh and you forgot to mention the other airline i mentioned ELal..but prolly you never flew them so leave it.

edealinfo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:46 am

FligtReporter wrote:

Well Bed bugs could be the reason but then for them to put an airline which BEATS Down its Paasengers and drags their behind off the plane to be on the list does sort of feel as the irony strangling itself....Or Do you think that shouldnt disqualify UA from the top 100 ? .

Superb comeback line, and well done.

FligtReporter

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:49 am

Im surprised with this code share afterall an airline of a stature of UK to stoop down to the level of UA is shocking..I wouldnt worry of UK's reputation much had they pacted with DL which is much better airline both domestically and internationally than UA could ever be...So its pretty vague sort of code share..but whatever floats UK's boat till they are in thr skies...Lets see if they can stay afloat for half as long as JET did.
Good Luck to UK !

edealinfo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:55 am

For what it's worth.....

Airlines, private equity firms renew interest in grounded Jet Airways
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 385_1.html

In another report that I had previously read, after Tata decided against an investment in Jet post collapse, they felt it would be a better option to potentially bid under IBC because .............what comes out of IBC doesn't include the legal baggage that currently plagues Jet. In other words, they get "clean assets" and none of NG or Jet associated woes.
Last edited by edealinfo on Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

FligtReporter

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:00 am

edealinfo wrote:
For what it's worth.....

Now what the Faketrax is wrong with these news agencies ?

I guess they r just puttin salt to the wounds of already dellusional crew of Jet airways who r still waiting for jet to fly..Well bro..I honestly believe Jet Is Dead like for real.

2 Minutes of silence for the Jet Crew who was really good but lately have lost its mind on social media and are blaming gov for the debacle their own daddy did.

RIPJETAIRWAYS

edealinfo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 am

From seatguru.com, Set Pitch (SP) [distance between 2 seats] and Seat Width (SW): For both, higher number is better

Indigo A320 : 30" SP and 18" SW

Vistara A320: 30 - 32" SP and 18" SW

Spicejet 737-900ER and 737-800: 29" SP and 17" SW

Air India A320 and A321: 31-32" SP and 17-18" SW

What was the seat pitch and seat width on Jet Airways 737-800?

binayak

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:18 am

edealinfo wrote:
From seatguru.com, Set Pitch (SP) [distance between 2 seats] and Seat Width (SW): For both, higher number is better

30" SP and 17" SW for economy
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

AI126

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:19 am

Even if there was the capital to build up 9W from its current fossil, are there enough slots at the Big Six Indian airports to even make it worthwhile? BOM is already back to full capacity, and I can't imagine the other five are that far behind. At this point, is it even worth it if it will be an airline with no lucrative flights? BOM was their main hub, and with no slots left there, it seems to me that it's basically a losing proposition to even bother trying to revive 9W at this point. Thoughts?

VTORD

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:21 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Btw I thought UA and SQ are not really close. I think UA partnered with UK, not because it is part owned by a star airline, but because they are the best FSC left. Remember 9W, at one time, was in bed with DL, UA and AA. The DL partnership killed 9W's relationship with UA and AA. Also shows that the DL partnership really offered 9W what they wanted so they cut their relationships with a slew of NA and EU airlines.

:checkmark:

From UA's POV, UK is a much "safer" option than AI. You would expect this code share to be most valuable at DEL (BOM is still developing as a UK base). AI is a direct competitor for UA at their hubs - NYC/JFK (+BOM-EWR), ORD, IAD and SFO (beginning W19) from DEL. Partnering with UK who themselves as yet do not fly international allows UA to serve more destinations in India without having to mess with their TATL JV with LH group. LH/LX can keep funneling non-EWR/SFO via FRA/MUC/ZRH. Granted they could have had the same arrangement with AI but it could have come down to seat share given AI is hubbing at DEL. If this arrangement works out, we might see UA going year-round on SFO-DEL with a possible cut back of AI183/184.

edealinfo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:23 am

Investigations into Jet

One of them includes Jet's classification of the Jet Privilege Company [the company that manages Jet's frequent flyer program], as a "air transport service firm" in 2012 which the government now deems isn't an appropriate classification. Oh, yes, dear Government, it is now time to wake up 6 years later.

"The probe will seek to ascertain if this was an arrangement struck between the two in order to get more overseas investment into the airline and if that was in contravention of FDI norms, the person said. "

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 850515.cms

VTORD

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:28 am

devmapper wrote:

SJC is a breeze compared to the trek that is SFO (it's a pain!!!) especially from the South Bay where a size-able chunk of AI's customer base resides. As you have suggested if they can parther with AS here for feed from up & down the west coast, it will be game on. The extra cost of setting up ops might even be worth it.

edealinfo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:28 am

Employees entirely blame banks (SBI) for Jet's collapse, and NG gets to hope for the Joy of Flying

https://www.indiatoday.in/business/stor ... 2019-06-18

CaliguyNYC

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:29 am

FligtReporter wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
For what it's worth.....

I guess they r just puttin salt to the wounds of already dellusional crew of Jet airways who r still waiting for jet to fly..Well bro..I honestly believe Jet Is Dead like for real.

2 Minutes of silence for the Jet Crew who was really good but lately have lost its mind on social media and are blaming gov for the debacle their own daddy did.

RIPJETAIRWAYS

I think the problem is no one on the forum can actually explain what in those news stories goes against Indian law. I have been waffling back and forth on what is possible. The news reports are confusing and posters here have very strong opinions on what is right. I have tried to understand but that hasn’t gone to well. What I can decipher is that in US bankruptcy law the current owner can go into bankruptcy and can come out still owning the company and have debt restructured. In India it looks like the bankruptcy process means the current owners in practice lose control but the assets/company can come out clean (or perhaps cleaner). Again unclear. But these articles make it seem that EY, Tatas, and others believe there is a play.

FligtReporter

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:30 am

edealinfo wrote:

AI wins the seat battle easily :)

CaliguyNYC

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:32 am

AI126 wrote:
Even if there was the capital to build up 9W from its current fossil, are there enough slots at the Big Six Indian airports to even make it worthwhile? BOM is already back to full capacity, and I can't imagine the other five are that far behind. At this point, is it even worth it if it will be an airline with no lucrative flights? BOM was their main hub, and with no slots left there, it seems to me that it's basically a losing proposition to even bother trying to revive 9W at this point. Thoughts?

I think any bid would hinge on the fact that the BOM slots plus most international seat allocations stay with the new Jet. It is unclear what will happen here as the slots were temporarily assigned to others. The question is does the Jet corporation, which holds the slots, come out of bankruptcy or are just pieces of Jet sold off. Clearly the 77W cleared of liabilities would be bought by someone.

edealinfo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:35 am

1. Air India Express to submit proposal to Board to induct 11 new aircraft. However, it is not confident it will be approved because of the divestment atmosphere.

2. Seat load factor increased to 90%

3. "Clearly Modi-I administration’s policy of not giving more bilateral to foreign airlines is paying off in increasing the carriage on Indian carriers"

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 846956.cms

CaliguyNYC

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 am

edealinfo wrote:
1. Air India Express to submit proposal to Board to induct 11 new aircraft. However, it is not confident it will be approved because of the divestment atmosphere.

2. Seat load factor increased to 90%

3. "Clearly Modi-I administration’s policy of not giving more bilateral to foreign airlines is paying off in increasing the carriage on Indian carriers"

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 846956.cms

While I think Modi’s policies of not granting more seats was working, I think all of these new adds internationally are all just filling in Jet flights that disappeared. I think Indian airlines’ market share is way down even after these ads. Jet had a large intl footprint from india.

FligtReporter

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:43 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
For what it's worth.....

RIPJETAIRWAYS

I think the problem is no one on the forum can actually explain what in those news stories goes against Indian law. I have been waffling back and forth on what is possible. The news reports are confusing and posters here have very strong opinions on what is right. I have tried to understand but that hasn’t gone to well. What I can decipher is that in US bankruptcy law the current owner can go into bankruptcy and can come out still owning the company and have debt restructured. In India it looks like the bankruptcy process means the current owners in practice lose control but the assets/company can come out clean (or perhaps cleaner). Again unclear. But these articles make it seem that EY, Tatas, and others believe there is a play.

Now the laws are different in every country and As much as I would love to explain my own point of view I just think I'd either go outa my wits whilest doin that or I'd just baffle my own points for its way too much bigger of a predicament to logically extricate oneself from than to be thought of for Indian laws can make one mad.

And we cant even begin to compre the US Law vs IND law or I should say the sheer proper functionin of it,to be more reasonable.

FligtReporter

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:58 am

So can anyone please explain it to me What The Bob Beamon is up with Vistara ?

Like I just looked up their Wiki page and it says them folks already got 6 of them X Jet birds and they'd prolly get 5 more.

This long jump from BIZ, PE & E to now BIZ & E and the new twist in the movie is their single Config A320N ex WoW ..I mean UK to me seems like a confused airline..like I get it they r prolly testin the market with different strategies but...What the Dexter is going on with this deep experimentation of their wide variety of cabins ?

CaliguyNYC

Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:13 am

Don’t know if this was mentioned but it looks like AF has changed CDG-BOM starting with the winter schedule to a 772 with the new lie flat J class. Currently it is their outdated A340 product (at least Joon refurbished). So CDG-BOM/DEL/BLR will all be 772 with the new product for the winter (at least the days I checked). Just for reference KL put their 789 on AMS-BOM/BLR (which is their best product) and VS put their 789 (newest product). If VS puts their A350 on BOM/DEL when it comes out, that will be a nice customer experience. DL put a totally refurbished 77L with new product on JFK-BOM. I guess gone are the days of DL/AF sending their worst product (or close to it) to India.

FligtReporter

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:44 am

Here we Go again...AI Pilot asks the Cabin Incharge to wash his tiffin box Like What The Bihar is going on with this situation ?? :twisted:

https://www.newsnation.in/india-news/ai ... 27890.html

As much as i love AI i hate most of these AI staff,the airline might fly forever but these staff will surely make sure AI stays a dead airline. :ashamed:

Like Seriously AI For real..? And I know AI pilots well as on one of my flights AI pilot sitting next to me started asking questions of Periodic table and ish and Current affairs as if he was my dad..I dont get it whats wrong with the AI staff ? :banghead:

Why cant AI uncles and aunties treat passengers as other airlines..I wont hesitate to admit all other airlines including LCCs have far more professional staff than AI.

Flying with AI is like im flying with a bunch of Maternal side relatives of my family..I mean its good at times the homely feeling but cmon isnt it way too homely now ? :mad:

And Mr.Lohani says that he will TALK to the crew like What the ISIS is that suppose to mean ? Cause I know talkin ain gon make not even a spec of a change...What you should do Mr.Lohani is FIRE the pilot if he started it. :irked:

Im done guys !! :white:

anshabhi

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:53 am

FligtReporter wrote:

Like I just looked up their Wiki page and it says them folks already got 6 of them X Jet birds and they'd prolly get 5 more.

This long jump from BIZ, PE & E to now BIZ & E and the new twist in the movie is their single Config A320N ex WoW ..I mean UK to me seems like a confused airline..like I get it they r prolly testin the market with different strategies but...What the Dexter is going on with this deep experimentation of their wide variety of cabins ?

All in the melee for slots. Still better than SG who introduced an entire new cabin

VTORD

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:35 am

FligtReporter wrote:

In the long run 12 (11 9W birds + 1 Wow bird) should be a manageable sub-fleet. It will interim allow them to deploy capacity and keep slots and maybe buy them some time to get the B737 crew type rated on the A320 until their larger order delivery starts. Then these can be phased out of the fleet at that point.

devmapper

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:42 am

VTORD wrote:
SJC is a breeze compared to the trek that is SFO (it's a pain!!!) especially from the South Bay where a size-able chunk of AI's customer base resides. As you have suggested if they can parther with AS here for feed from up & down the west coast, it will be game on. The extra cost of setting up ops might even be worth it.

Considering the geographic distance between SJC and SFO, they might be able to reuse crew hotel contracts as well as catering contracts (the latter assuming the catering company services both SFO and SJC). So the marginal cost of opening a new station in SJC might not be that large anyway. Maybe someone with better knowledge of operators in the Bay area can confirm if this is correct.

AS at SJC could perhaps also feed traffic from DAL and AUS to AI, although I'm not sure if backtracking would be a point of concern. Also, there are no AS connections out of SJC to any of the major Intermountain West airports (DEN,SLC,PHX).

Anyway, all this is idle chatter, I don't really see AI doing anything like this anytime soon.

FligtReporter

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:16 am

Now AI sale for me in Terse is, GOI givin it to a private company and Prvt Company flying AI and trying to make it profitable..THATS ALL I consider it being DISINVESTED.

Now this is the latest news coming in from AI and the ministers who are a part of this deal and stuff.

https://wap.business-standard.com/artic ... 321_1.html

Having read that..now Plz can any of my big brothas in here explain it to me easy a few things

1. Earlier GOI said that they are planin to sell 100% of AI and now it appears the GOI might retain 5% which is EMPLOYEE STOCK OPTION

2.Plz can someone tell me what in the Leavenworth street is this Employee Stock Option is ?

3.It says AI folks will be selling the subsidiaries prior to selling the AI Itself means AIX and Alliance air etc So it seems selling off these subs they might make money to compensate for the debts of AI is it ?

Thanks !

FligtReporter

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 am

Im happy that a strict action has been taken by Mr.Lohani pertaining this nonsense of Pilots special demands.

Good Work AI

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofi ... 853946.cms

unrave

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:48 am

FligtReporter wrote:
2.Plz can someone tell me what in the Leavenworth street is this Employee Stock Option is ?

3.It says AI folks will be selling the subsidiaries prior to selling the AI Itself means AIX and Alliance air etc So it seems selling off these subs they might make money to compensate for the debts of AI is it ?

Thanks !

2. That means 5% of the shares of AI will be earmarked for employees, to be awarded when employee options are vested
3. About 50% of AI debt has been moved to an SPV, which will be repaid from the receipts of sale of AI subsidiaries

FligtReporter

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:03 pm

unrave wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Thanks !

2. That means 5% of the shares of AI will be earmarked for employees, to be awarded when employee options are vested
3. About 50% of AI debt has been moved to an SPV, which will be repaid from the receipts of sale of AI subsidiaries

So it means GOI is like literally selling whole of AI :(
I just hope whoever buys it doesnt changes its name From AI to Air Hindustan Limited or Desi Airlines and also they dont change the livery to the horrendous Scindia livery.

If th above two things are changed..I would probably lay my love on UK My New favourite lolz

Thanks again bro !

CaliguyNYC

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:54 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
unrave wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Thanks !

So it means GOI is like literally selling whole of AI :(
I just hope whoever buys it doesnt changes its name From AI to Air Hindustan Limited or Desi Airlines and also they dont change the livery to the horrendous Scindia livery.

If th above two things are changed..I would probably lay my love on UK My New favourite lolz

Thanks again bro !

Yes although it looks like their subs will be sold separately (I think they have an engineering sub and some others) as well as AI Express. I think you can relax. I don't think AI will be sold. There is just too much politics / baggage / unions etc etc. Plus a sale would mean the GOI forgives a ton of debt. So even though the GOI making a couple of billion is probably a good thing, some people will spin it as a give away to a political ally. As much as I wanted the sale to happen in the past and now, I just don't see it. If only everyone saw AI as a sunk cost that continues to bleed. Then it could maybe get sold.

hohd

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:16 pm

UA is continuing its non-relationship with AI by getting Vistara for code shares. However it really does not matter as UA interlines with AI and many itineraries I have seen include AI and UA. AI has improved vastly and if the Pak airspace is not resolved soon, UA will lose even more, in fact even the proposed SFO-DEL and the existing but now suspended EWR-DEL flights may be in doubt. And I am saying as a UA premier gold member that UA is not that much better than AI.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos