unrave

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - June 2019

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:37 am

srkSJC wrote:
PS - i am an indian lawyer(still licensed to practice there) and moved to Bay Area in 2017. Prior to that i was a corporate lawyer in Navi Mumbai for 7 years.

That you for that write up. It was quite illuminating. And welcome to Anet.
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

lutfi

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:55 am

binayak wrote:
lutfi wrote:
Vistara advertising is also quite racist in advertising- all their featured cabin crew and pilots are of ‘wheaten complexion’. Do they not hire southern indians? SQ on the other hand is happy to use dark skinned indians in their adverts.

Huh ??? I hope you were being sarcastic .

OK - racist is maybe too strong a word. But their advertising is not at all representative of India - I have never seen a South Indian ethnic (dravidian) portrayed in their ads.

unrave

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:07 am

lutfi wrote:
binayak wrote:
lutfi wrote:
Vistara advertising is also quite racist in advertising- all their featured cabin crew and pilots are of ‘wheaten complexion’. Do they not hire southern indians? SQ on the other hand is happy to use dark skinned indians in their adverts.

Huh ??? I hope you were being sarcastic .

OK - racist is maybe too strong a word. But their advertising is not at all representative of India - I have never seen a South Indian ethnic (dravidian) portrayed in their ads.

The word you're looking for is colourism

avier

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:20 am

Air India suspends its regional director for allegedly shoplifting wallet at Sydney airport
Bhasin was rostered as one of the commanders (pilots) of AI301 flight, which was set to depart at 10.45 am (local time) on June 22 from Sydney airport for Delhi.

"There is an initial report of one of its captains Mr Rohit Bhasin who is also working as a regional director picking up a wallet from a duty free shop in Sydney.
https://m.businesstoday.in/story/air-india-suspends-its-regional-director-for-allegedly-shoplifting-wallet-at-sydney-airport/1/358375.html

From ghost employees to thieves, this airline has it all.

edealinfo

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:19 pm

lutfi wrote:

Why do you think "Fair & Lovely" (F & L) is such a hot selling product in India? There is even a version for men! The notion that being "white - er" equates to better looks has been drilled into the Indian psyche with endless F & L advertising over the years. Heck, just look at most Indian advertising -- overwhelmingly lighter skinned which is not representative of the population. This will change when India matures and its people realize that skin color doesn't define beauty.

I think Lutfi should directly send Vistara a feedback comment on their facebook page and let's wait to see if they will favorably respond. At the very least, it should embarrass them.

edealinfo

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:37 pm

SpiceJet to induct 50 aircraft in 2019

https://www.livemint.com/companies/news ... 19752.html

edealinfo

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:42 pm

"Banks finally accept India’s oldest private-sector airline Jet Airways is dead"
https://www.financialexpress.com/indust ... 5304/lite/

Appropriate quote from another forum in response to the above

"Did they accept it is dead (or) make sure it is dead before turning it over to NCLT."

edealinfo

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:44 pm

AAI starts year-long study to improve future slot allotment at six major airports

The recommendations from the study will potentially be used for future slot allotments. This means those airlines that were involved in the slot-grabbing (post Jet collapse) will retain their slots since only future slots will be impacted.

Brilliant execution by SpiceJet post Jet collapse.

https://www.businesstoday.in/sectors/av ... 58359.html

Slash787

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:00 pm

avier wrote:
From ghost employees to thieves, this airline has it all.

After hearing Pilots getting their own Tiffin and telling the FA's to roast almonds and chop onions, I will expect the unexpected from them.

unrave

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:05 pm

edealinfo wrote:
This means those airlines that were involved in the slot-grabbing (post Jet collapse) will retain their slots since only future slots will be impacted.

That does not meant that at all

edealinfo

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:11 pm

unrave wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
This means those airlines that were involved in the slot-grabbing (post Jet collapse) will retain their slots since only future slots will be impacted.

That does not meant that at all

"AAI starts year-long study to improve future slot allotment at six major airports"

"After one year, the results of this year-long study will be presented back to the DGCA and the ministry to take a call on how to improve slot allotment in the next year"

unrave

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:24 pm

That will not affect slot RETENTION. It will affect only the ALLOTMENT.

edealinfo

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:01 pm

unrave wrote:
That will not affect slot RETENTION. It will affect only the ALLOTMENT.

I don't know what you mean. I always meant that those that grabbed slots would retain their slots, and whatever the study is aimed at, will only impact allotment of future slots. In other words, the early birds (post Jet collapse) got the worm. What happens with further slots 1 or 2 years down the road is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

unrave

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:19 pm

edealinfo wrote:
I don't know what you mean. I always meant that those that grabbed slots would retain their slots, and whatever the study is aimed at, will only impact allotment of future slots. In other words, the early birds (post Jet collapse) got the worm. What happens with further slots 1 or 2 years down the road is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

That has always been the case. Slots are grandfathered indefinitely world over.

unrave

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:01 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:

You both are saying the same thing. Unravel is just misunderstanding your post.

Pretty amazing that India didn’t have a formal slot allocation process. Again I also blame the airlines. They don’t complain. The problem with Indian aviation is that the airlines and the unions are happy with all the grey area. Each thinking the GOI will favor them over others so why have strict rules. To me all unallocated BOM slots should now be reserved for new entrants on routes and to connect new city pairs (I was looking to fly BOM-Agra but you can’t easily). Like I have said, if fairs go up between BOM-BLR, they can handle it. Also airlines can bring in bigger planes.

Oh yeah, sorry about that.
There is indeed no formal slot allocation process in India, but private airports do follow their own process. And in the case of BOM they have been doing exactly what you said: new slots were allotted only to new carriers and destinations. (The slots that were forfeited by Jet Airways were given away by the govt)

edealinfo

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:44 am

AirAsia India to double its fleet; plans to start international services by October

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 448209.cms

lightsaber

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 am

edealinfo wrote:
AirAsia India to double its fleet; plans to start international services by October

To double the fleet in 15 months (or less) is impressive. I see much of the expansion is international, so not too much domestic market share gain. It is wise to pursue profits.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

edealinfo

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:17 am

What Jet Airways meant to India:

50,000 passengers carried daily

650 daily flights

14% of India's airline capacity

https://www.financialexpress.com/infras ... e/1616546/
Last edited by edealinfo on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

edealinfo

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:20 am

AI Express increases daily flights from 81 to 90 daily compared to same time last year. Destinations went from 17 to 20.

Proposal to add 11 more planes (but could be held up due to AI sell off by the Govt per another report).

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 920190.cms

edealinfo

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:25 am

In 6 months since start up, Kannur airport in India at 20% of capacity. Could easily go to 40% if foreign Gulf carriers are given additional bilateral rights.

Currently the airport is making a loss as expenses are 13 crores and income is only 4 crores.

The air connectivity is to Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai, Goa, Hubli, Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram...... and the passengers from Mysuru and Kodagu depending on Kannur as their primary airport have resulted in the surge.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 117848.ece

edealinfo

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:30 am

lightsaber wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

To double the fleet in 15 months (or less) is impressive. I see much of the expansion is international, so not too much domestic market share gain. It is wise to pursue profits.

Lightsaber

"After South East Asia, we plan to expand our operations to destinations such as Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bangladesh in the SAARC region and also to Japan, the Middle East and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) region," the Air Asia India official said

Japan? How? With what aircraft? In what year...2030????

sibibom

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:58 am

A321XLR can do DEL-NRT, Air Asia group has a new on order....may just start with one stop. However, whatever Air Asia says should be taken with a grain of salt. They barely keep up with their own lofty claims

anshabhi

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:11 am

lutfi wrote:

?????
I have never seen anyone telling out loud what their ethnicity is in Vistara ads, unless you mean to classify an entire region by one exterior colour

edealinfo

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:23 am

anshabhi wrote:
lutfi wrote:

?????
I have never seen anyone telling out loud what their ethnicity is in Vistara ads, unless you mean to classify an entire region by one exterior colour

Maybe you should look at it this way. If you take a representative sample of 25 people in India, how many would be light skinned, dark skinned, and in-between? In Vistara advertising, 25 would be light skinned. That's the point he is making.

avier

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:35 am

edealinfo wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
lutfi wrote:

?????

Maybe you should look at it this way. If you take a representative sample of 25 people in India, how many would be light skinned, dark skinned, and in-between? In Vistara advertising, 25 would be light skinned. That's the point he is making.

I guess that's not what he's pointing at. It's the assumption that since most FA's are on lighter shade (of some airlines), the user above had assumed that Dravidian's are not preferred as FA's. Not sure what ethnicity has got to do with skin colour. I have seen light skinned people from every part of the country, and deeper skinned too alike. It's the false notion that a light skinned cannot be a Dravidian/South India. What are those bollywood celebs Aishwarya Rai/Deepika Padukone? They aren't anything close to the North region by their ethnicity.

sibibom

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:51 am

I know its off topic. But everyone in the entertainment industry to fair as snow in India, Its doesn't matter what the ethnicity. Even the ones we called dusky like let's say Rekha, its quite fair in real life. We have an issue, we either address it or just say there are one or two dark-skinned people in showbiz, when in reality more than half of our country is wheatish or dark, but let's not show them cos we are obsessed about fair skin.

nairobby

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:34 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
AI Mumabi-Nairobi flight announced. to start ops from 27th sept 4 days a week

https://twitter.com/HardeepSPuri/status ... 2671028224

I honestly wonder how many possible flying hours has AI wasted so far that it's able to operate so many new flights without any new aircraft !! ??

I wonder how much this will affect KQ - they down gauged their NBO-BOM flight to 2 flights a day on 737 (for 6 hours). Won't premium pax move to AI assuming they offer a 787 on the route? I know KQ gets a ton of connecting pax, but still I would imagine the nonstop O&D is their bread and butter.

Mumbai is more about the connecting pax for KQ than O&D. They also regularly send a 787 to BOM if loads are good enough. AI will be a welcome competition on the route but KQ has a better soft product.

avier

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:35 am

avier wrote:
Air India suspends its regional director for allegedly shoplifting wallet at Sydney airport
Bhasin was rostered as one of the commanders (pilots) of AI301 flight, which was set to depart at 10.45 am (local time) on June 22 from Sydney airport for Delhi.

"There is an initial report of one of its captains Mr Rohit Bhasin who is also working as a regional director picking up a wallet from a duty free shop in Sydney.

Also, he happens to be from the well known all Pilots "Bhasin" family. His wife being the well know female pilot Nivedita Bhasin, a pilot on AI too. Along with his son a pilot on AI, and daughter on 6E. His father too was a pilot on IC. What shame he brought over to his family.
Him on extreme left.

avier

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:42 am

nairobby wrote:
Mumbai is more about the connecting pax for KQ than O&D. They also regularly send a 787 to BOM if loads are good enough. AI will be a welcome competition on the route but KQ has a better soft product.

KQ & ET both carry a lot of connecting traffic through their hubs from BOM. Hence even ET sends at least one A350/787 of their multiple daily to BOM. Dar-es-Salaam and South Africa have a lot of Indian origin people residing there. And other African countries where mining/trade/sandalwood/wood and such forest work happens. Lot of Gujaratis amongst them too.

VTORD

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:12 pm

avier wrote:
Also, he happens to be from the well known all Pilots "Bhasin" family. His wife being the well know female pilot Nivedita Bhasin, a pilot on AI too. Along with his son a pilot on AI, and daughter on 6E. His father too was a pilot on IC. What shame he brought over to his family.
Him on extreme left.

I suspected as much when I read the name Rohit Bhasin. They are pretty active on SM (at least the mom is). Not to defend him but could it be a simple case of misunderstanding?

edealinfo wrote:

The sign that it is highly implausible that 25 persons (a good number of which were students] are unable to keep track of time so as to miss a connecting flight. You do know that clocks were invented hundreds of years ago?

Clocks? That it? C'mon man...!
I am not sure how it works in Russia, but it is not strange at all for university students to travel in large numbers on a single transport service to the nearest (major) international airport. For eg., UW-Milwaukee/Madison in fact pretty much any of the UW towns have a bus/van service to ORD or MSP based on where they are geographically. Many Indian students from Michigan State and U Mich prefer to travel by train to downtown Chicago and then another local (I forget whether it's the Metra or the CTA blue line) into ORD. These students usually travel in numbers so yeah it is not strange at all.

And nowhere does it say it was a connecting flight. IF it was a connecting flight, different story.

CaliguyNYC

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:34 pm

aarbee wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

BREAKING:-
#SPICJET to begin Daily flights to #Singapore from #Delhi, #Mumbai & #Bangalore in the winter schedule 2019 says Debashis Saha, Associate VP Regulatory & Govt Affairs, Spicejet at the IATA Slot conference in Cape Town.

https://twitter.com/sandeeprrao1991/sta ... 1666699267

It looks like Spice is targeting the three main business markets. If that is their current strategy, I really do hope they rise to the occasion and become a true option for premium pax (having their version of a business class is a first step). So good for them. That said, I do not think Spice will become a FSC (and they should not become one). A hybrid model domestically seems to be the prudent path.

True their trajectory seems to be budget with some pseudo-premium options (Spice-Max). But going FSC is all together another ball game, which we have seen that forget hitting a home run, running all the bases in itself is a challenge world wide.

CaliguyNYC wrote:
[
I would like to see them interline with a slew of carriers (assuming they do not do that now), offer a lot connecting flights, offer clean reasonably new aircraft, and focus on a few key cities to develop solid connectivity. By all accounts it seems they are doing just that.

I assume you are referring to international interline. As far as inflight service goes, people have accepted it the fact that service in FSC will not be at the level 20-25 years back. The main hurdle for long haul international is the baggage issues. If the international interlining can take care of baggage limit (per the international sectors) there's value for the pax. And thats where those 3AM flights budget carriers might have a better chance of succeeding as opposed to FSC.

And its not just the checking baggage - the carryons, personal items, duty frees. This is one of the thing irritating about transiting thru BOM - come at the 9W counter, Sir you need to get your duty frees in the checked in baggage. It was always OK to exceed the check in weight, but wait in line to be told that , then you go on side sit on the floor to fix it, then again wait for your turn. One of the many endless irritating thing to do at 2AM after being tired of the international flight. (There was NO time to enjoy the art work at CSIA-BOM :P)

-R

A lot of airports won't let you bring on duty free that was purchased in another airport if it violates the liquid limit. Annoying but not just a BOM thing. I think a year ago many airports will let you bring it if it has some seal on the bag - they just manually inspect though (so will slow you down but they don't seize it). Don't know what BOM does since the seal thing happened. At a min they should let you bring on duty free that is bought at BOM (and still in the sealed bag). But again I don't know. I never buy duty free outside of BOM (never need it). When I arrive at BOM, I buy the 2 bottles of scotch like every dam time we land. Btw BOM's prices are surprisingly good.

CaliguyNYC

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:45 pm

sibibom wrote:
I know its off topic. But everyone in the entertainment industry to fair as snow in India, Its doesn't matter what the ethnicity. Even the ones we called dusky like let's say Rekha, its quite fair in real life. We have an issue, we either address it or just say there are one or two dark-skinned people in showbiz, when in reality more than half of our country is wheatish or dark, but let's not show them cos we are obsessed about fair skin.

Agreed but colorism is just that colorism. It is not racism or ethnocentrism or casteism (which I hate that westerns always say Indians are obsessed with). There are light skin Indians from all backgrounds and states. Calling it racism is meant to paint it in a manner that westerns understand. Truth is the US has its version of colorism - many people prefer blond nordic looks vs dark hair and olive skin - no one calls that racism. Indians can look very different form each other be it skin color or features. I have never heard anyone describe the other person as anything other than Indian (meaning no one thinks we are different races).

hohd

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:04 pm

avier wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
You'll rushed in judgement to their [airline/airport/authorities] defense without learning about the past history and experiences. ...

Have no pity for such pax. It's almost become the norm that Indian pax report late for Check-in or at gate for boarding, and somehow end up becoming the "victims". And then rant on Twitter and ask Modi or Sushma or any other minister to intervene. Like yeah, these ministers will instead of focusing on more pressing issues regarding the country, will stop to intervene to save some morons because they happened to be late for a flight.
Your personal idiotic issues, deal it yourself. And don't drag ministers of State,etc.
Indian pax should read the Conditions of Carriage of airlines and other such rules like a bible before any journey they want to undertake by air.

Normally we should wait to hear both sides, but when it comes to Aeroflot or Russia, all I can say based on past history, I would blame Aeroflot first. For all you know the students reported just within the allotted but due to airline fault they could have missed the flight. You have no pity eh, try flying Aeroflot a few times and whenever there is a misconnect or even a slight delay they are absolutely the worst, worse than even AF.

edealinfo

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:50 am

IndiGo to suspend Vijayawada-Singapore service in Jun-2019

https://centreforaviation.com/news/indi ... 019-915172

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 820246.ece

IndiGo to increase Tiruchirappalli-Singapore frequency from Jul-2019

https://centreforaviation.com/news/indi ... 019-915171

binayak

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:06 am

Delta Air Lines will deploy 77L in ATL JFK from Dec 22 .
Does this mean the 77L will do ATL JFK BOM JFK ATL rotation? If so, they can sell this as a same plane service from Atlanta to Mumbai . Can be a good marketing gimmick for DL .
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

unrave

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:16 am

SpiceJet just announced the launch of a few international routes

voxkel

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:04 am

binayak wrote:
Delta Air Lines will deploy 77L in ATL JFK from Dec 22 .
Does this mean the 77L will do ATL JFK BOM JFK ATL rotation? If so, they can sell this as a same plane service from Atlanta to Mumbai . Can be a good marketing gimmick for DL .

Going off that can DL 77L operate around Iran/PK nonstop (assuming they remain closed)? Does the plane have crew rests?

FligtReporter

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:26 am

I dunno if DL will continue with their JFK-BOM given the messy Airspace scneario thats going on in our region.If they still go ahead with their plans lets see what route they take and how long can they survive.

For Now I firmly believe AI to be the only carier to fly Westwards to the US but yeah Im confident about the UA and AC SFO-DEL,YVR-DEL flights to operate as normal as ever for its over pacific.

FligtReporter

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Ok so even though its a month old news but I somehow stumbled upon it and its very funny and intresting.Jewish media is claiming AI at the verge of collapse/Bankruptcy :rotfl:

https://www.jewishpress.com/news/israel ... 018/08/08/

And this is the AI response which is partially true and little funny lol :lol:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news18 ... 40827.html

What do you guys think of this Rumor game ? I personally smell somethings on fire..Oh and I guess Its ElAl thats on fire with jealousy haha :lol:

adi00654

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Aeroflot in last week’s schedule update filed summer 2020 operation, with various long-haul aircraft changes. Not mentioned in last week’s report, the Skyteam member plans to introduce Airbus A350-900XWB aircraft on Moscow Sheremetyevo – Delhi route, starting 01JUL20. 1 of 2 daily service to be operated by A350, replacing A330.

SU234 SVO1505 – 2355DEL 333 D
SU232 SVO1850 – 0320+1DEL 359 D

SU235 DEL0125 – 0525SVO 333 D
SU233 DEL0500 – 0905SVO 359 D

Source:airlineroute.net

anshabhi

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:43 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
Ok so even though its a month old news but I somehow stumbled upon it and its very funny and intresting.Jewish media is claiming AI at the verge of collapse/Bankruptcy :rotfl:

https://www.jewishpress.com/news/israel ... 018/08/08/

And this is the AI response which is partially true and little funny lol :lol:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news18 ... 40827.html

What do you guys think of this Rumor game ? I personally smell somethings on fire..Oh and I guess Its ElAl thats on fire with jealousy haha :lol:

Isn't this a very very old issue? None the less both AI and EL AL will survive as long as they keep getting bail outs from their govts :)

Circulating on Twitter that IndiGo is seriously considering a wide body order of 70+ aircraft

avier

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:07 pm

adi00654 wrote:
Aeroflot in last week’s schedule update filed summer 2020 operation, with various long-haul aircraft changes. Not mentioned in last week’s report, the Skyteam member plans to introduce Airbus A350-900XWB aircraft on Moscow Sheremetyevo – Delhi route, starting 01JUL20. 1 of 2 daily service to be operated by A350, replacing A330.

SU234 SVO1505 – 2355DEL 333 D
SU232 SVO1850 – 0320+1DEL 359 D

SU235 DEL0125 – 0525SVO 333 D
SU233 DEL0500 – 0905SVO 359 D

Source:airlineroute.net

Didn't know they had a twice daily WB service to DEL. Interesting. Hope they connect BOM too.

edealinfo

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:25 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.financ ... 8632/lite/

Indigo “learns” from Jet’s mistake and will not order wide bodied aircraft. Good call in my opinions .

separately, Lufthansa has decided to close Eurowings (low cost) long haul operations. Saying it doesn’t work. Joon too is shutting all operations. The only remaining ones are Norwegian which is struggling, LEVEL, and Air Asia X

edealinfo

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:31 pm

I think Indigo is playing a cunning “contracting” issue game. It puts our a public statement that wide bodied aircraft doesn’t make sense, but later says that an aircraft price plays a really important role in a decision. Perhaps they are using a strategy to get a really low price on A330 neo.....you make recall that they got incredible pricing on the initial order of 100 Airbus A320 and really good pricing on subsequent order.

Methinks they want a killer deal on the A330 neo and will play blow hot blow cold with Airbus....until Airbus gives them the deal they want

CaliguyNYC

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 pm

edealinfo wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.financialexpress.com/industry/we-are-learning-from-jet-airways-mistakes-indigo-ceos-take-on-jets-fatal-move/1618632/lite/

Indigo “learns” from Jet’s mistake and will not order wide bodied aircraft. Good call in my opinions .

separately, Lufthansa has decided to close Eurowings (low cost) long haul operations. Saying it doesn’t work. Joon too is shutting all operations. The only remaining ones are Norwegian which is struggling, LEVEL, and Air Asia X

Given the current state of Indian aviation, I am not disputing their choice. I would rather focus on why. Why is it no Indian airline can fly wide bodies profitably from India? I mean India is a huge source market for traffic (the source market usually gets to control a good chunk on the travelers). Plus inbound tourism, while not France, is still not bad. If I remember correctly India has more inbound tourists than Brazil or Israel. So what is the issue. Taxes (we know this), ME3 bilaters/competition, poor management, lack of capital?? The GOI has to create the right business environment. They can't solve bad management, but something tells me it is structural rather than management.

So right choice, but super sad. Just means a lot of Jet's market share INTL will go to foreign carriers.

Sorry just realized it was Indigo that said the no wide bodies. I think a pure LCC INTL wide body from India is super tough given coach fares are already super cheap. It works from the UK because fares there are higher. Spice's new hybrid model is better suited for wide bodies and of course Vistara. I hope foreign airlines step in and help them (meaning offer them good terms on a partnership to make INTL wide bodies work). DL are you listening :)

avier

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:45 pm

edealinfo wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.financialexpress.com/industry/we-are-learning-from-jet-airways-mistakes-indigo-ceos-take-on-jets-fatal-move/1618632/lite/

From the article:
Air India was supposed to do in being the national airline of India and carrying the international traffic, it has not worked,” Ronojoy Dutta said. IndiGo hence looks to step into that and expand its market share internationally

One can wonder how much of that void they can fill into by just using narrowbodied aircraft. Yes, XLR will help make it to Europe with grumpy pax onboard, beyond that I doubt where they can get to. Unless they now plan one-stop to USA via Europe with their Neo XLR's. Be one crazy journey.

FligtReporter

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:58 pm

avier wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

From the article:
Air India was supposed to do in being the national airline of India and carrying the international traffic, it has not worked,” Ronojoy Dutta said. IndiGo hence looks to step into that and expand its market share internationally

One can wonder how much of that void they can fill into by just using narrowbodied aircraft. Yes, XLR will help make it to Europe with grumpy pax onboard, beyond that I doubt where they can get to. Unless they now plan one-stop to USA via Europe with their Neo XLR's. Be one crazy journey.

Damn..that would be crazy.I think flying till London,Switzerland,Mauritius,Johannesburg etc is still Thinkable ( Personally Not for me though ) but flying to the US or CANADA with one stop is insane and LCC model with ultra long haul I dont think would work for them..But yeah Vistara can definitely make it out wih their product to ULH sectors..However with AI already flying to now 6 Cities in NA Wonder where they will fly to with their 789s

unrave

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:07 pm

avier wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

From the article:

This are some very selective quotes. If you watched the interview you would know the point he was making was more nuanced than that. He even said widebody operations are inevitable at IndiGo. They will not rush into launching WB operations in the near future.

CaliguyNYC

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:25 pm

unrave wrote:
avier wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

From the article:

This are some very selective quotes. If you watched the interview you would know the point he was making was more nuanced than that. He even said widebody operations are inevitable at IndiGo. They will not rush into launching WB operations in the near future.

We've all been talking about airline management and how they handled the Jet opportunity. At one point someone even suggested there would be a business school case about Ajay and Spice (which I didn't agree with give the role the GOI played in that - sorry I will just say it but crony capitalism is not a business school case). The real business school case is this - your market has a fundamental change with the INTL market leader collapsing. Do you stick with your original cautious expansion plan wrt wide bodies or do you pivot your plan given the dramatic fall in available seats? Other points - your market is growing very fast and is the source of a lot of the traffic. Now the case would have more facts say high taxes, high foreign competition etc.

I hear everyone about not rushing things, but I also really struggle with it. On the one hand these airlines are supposedly doing really well, with strong management and strong fundamentals. But they are acting like companies that are just getting by. Where a slip up could bring them down.

avier

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:06 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
I hear everyone about not rushing things, but I also really struggle with it. On the one hand these airlines are supposedly doing really well, with strong management and strong fundamentals. But they are acting like companies that are just getting by. Where a slip up could bring them down.

And that's exactly what it is for Indian carriers. One bump would be enough to create a drag, which would be hard to get out of. That's what the CEO of 6E spoke of in the article. Hence, they aren't sure of going that way. They are expecting huge discounts on orders to go that path obviously, that's what they suggest. Also, they must be getting insecure with their other newer rivals (Vistara, AirAsia's) aircraft orders making them capable for long haul ops. AirAsia group has 353 A321NEO's + 100 A330-9NEO's on order!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos