aarbee

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - June 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:59 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
aarbee wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
Given the current state of Indian aviation, I am not disputing their choice. I would rather focus on why. Why is it no Indian airline can fly wide bodies profitably from India? I mean India is a huge source market for traffic (the source market usually gets to control a good chunk on the travelers). Plus inbound tourism, while not France, is still not bad. If I remember correctly India has more inbound tourists than Brazil or Israel. So what is the issue. Taxes (we know this), ME3 bilaters/competition, poor management, lack of capital?? The GOI has to create the right business environment. They can't solve bad management, but something tells me it is structural rather than management.

Too late in the game
Failed to create new markets
Focus remained on BOM/DEL/LON/NYC.

For inbound tourism why would (say) EU tourist want to travel Jet Airways? Existing carriers provided
  • More familiarity
  • Flexibility - Italian tourists did not have to travel 3 hours in wrong direction to reach India),
  • Affiliation to their mileage gathering
  • Could already use FSC 9W/AI for travel beyond BOM/DEL
What did Jet provide for the tourists, which they did not already have (hence failure to create market).

CaliguyNYC wrote:
So right choice, but super sad. Just means a lot of Jet's market share INTL will go to foreign carriers.

On the other hand Indigo. Hey Vietnamese tourists, you want to visit Rajasthan. We'll get you there via CCU and saving you time.
Hey US VFRs from 10 cities (in USA) ME3 will get you to AMD, ATQ, JAI and 8-10 other cities with one stop, without hassle of NYC and BOM.

The indigo flight will target Indian tourist not Vietnamese (I am willing to bet that few from Hanoi will vacation in CCU or India). Btw I think the route will fail (unless someone can show me the data that people are flying between the two countries - and we can double that number because of this new flight - 0 X 2 = 0

Of course not initially. Neither I have the data, nor I'm betting the flight will be runaway success. But I'm sure Indigo has some data points.
WRT to not being used by Vietnamese tourists, if there is an opening, budget airline is more possible. If the fares are way lower than the usual FSC fares and the right vacation packages might lure some. I'm sure back in 2000 not many Indians were clamoring to vacation in Dubai, maybe some Vietnamese might start thinking to vacation in India.

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Your point about the ME3 is exactly the point I was making. How is that a win for India. Those jobs lie with the ME3 not India for Indians. Remember you always had the option to fly the ME3 but wait....so so so so many people did not fly them and have no desire to fly them. Choice was lost. That is always a negative. I don't want the ME3 to not fly to India the flip side also holds true - I don't want India to not have airlines that fly long haul when India is a HUGE long haul source country.

IT IS. Providing easy access to world wide destinations to the rest of ping pong playing India outside of BOM is a huge benefit. As a a matter of fact it has relieved the load on BOM and reliance on BOM/DEL for India's passengers.

And that's where you are wrong my friend. I didn't have an option to to fly ME3. For years there was NO option. The only mechanism was to have 40+ hours door-to-door journey on a sub-par product via EU (not great customer service, shaky DC-10s/B747-200s, IFE, food, you name it) , feeling the brunt of BOM in late hours and NO artwork to admire. ME3 provided an option - 24 hr door-door journey, enjoyable products.

So the choice was NOT lost. ME3 created a choice. On top of that because of the convenience, frequency of the visits people to India have increased. Also if there is a need to make shorter trips (1 weekish) its opens up opportunities.

Just because airlines of India cannot figure out on how to cater to this market and failure of one private FSC does not mean Indian aviation has suffered. Indian aviation just registered a blip and moved forward. Just because you do not want to fly ME3 does not mean the passengers of daily 5X EK flights to BOM do not want to.

As far as on the job front, it is also a plus for India. Consider visiting UAE airport and see how many Indian ex-pats are there.
- There are jobs for people who did not even have an opportunity in India. People who have comparatively better life, sacrifice to staying with their families for the advancement of their families in India.
- On the other end of the spectrum white collar skill set are also flourishing there.
I'm not trying to paint a rosy picture, but where do you think the money ends up eventually. Significant percentage pumped backed into Indian economy.
Love the AIXes

aarbee

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:00 pm

avier wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
The indigo flight will target Indian tourist not Vietnamese (I am willing to bet that few from Hanoi will vacation in CCU or India). Btw I think the route will fail

I doubt there's any source traffic from Calcutta to Hanoi all year round. 6E will have to rely on connecting traffic from other larger markets -DEL/BOM/BLR to connect and fill up the flights on Calcutta-Hanoi. This will be seasonal traffic again. Also, they'd be the typical traffic that's already done a lot of Bangkok/Dubai trips and want some place new and exotic, yet near.
But again, connecting at CCU wouldn't be so pleasant, because of the poor infrastructure and issues of re check-in.

Would passengers need to re-checkin at CCU in both directions?
Love the AIXes

edealinfo

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:15 pm

unrave wrote:
I don't quite follow the logic. Why wouldn't foreign airlines be able to milk CNN for 5th freedom aircraft?

How many from CNN would want to see the world? I suspect most of those using CNN would be O & D passengers so little opportunity to milk 5th freedom

CaliguyNYC

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:50 pm

avier wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
There is a reason I exclude the top Indian O&D cities. Spark a tourism and business revolution in a new city.

True. The top Indian cities should preserve their infrastructure for the large O&D traffic they have and not for hubbing purposes to carry traffic to a third country. Would choke them further if they did that. HYD, as you suggest, is a great example for setting up such a hub. They offer low taxes on fuel too and have scope for much further expansion. Maybe the new Goa airport would be another great location for such a hub, as Goa would serve also as a nice tourist destination on a transit basis.

So while I agree on the new city approach for a hub, I do think that the main cities should not only focus on O&D. Sadly no city in India has the global O&D reach of a London or Paris. India's main business centers need global connectivity for business to thrive. So while BOM/DEL/BLR/HYD don't need to have a KL @AMS [email protected] ATL style super hubs they need to at least be like a [email protected] or [email protected] To do that, they will need a small/medium sized hub operation of at least one carrier. Part of the reason DXB went from a pit stop to a destination is because of EK and DXB.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:33 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
avier wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
There is a reason I exclude the top Indian O&D cities. Spark a tourism and business revolution in a new city.

True. The top Indian cities should preserve their infrastructure for the large O&D traffic they have and not for hubbing purposes to carry traffic to a third country. Would choke them further if they did that. HYD, as you suggest, is a great example for setting up such a hub. They offer low taxes on fuel too and have scope for much further expansion. Maybe the new Goa airport would be another great location for such a hub, as Goa would serve also as a nice tourist destination on a transit basis.

So while I agree on the new city approach for a hub, I do think that the main cities should not only focus on O&D. Sadly no city in India has the global O&D reach of a London or Paris. India's main business centers need global connectivity for business to thrive. So while BOM/DEL/BLR/HYD don't need to have a KL @AMS [email protected] ATL style super hubs they need to at least be like a [email protected] or [email protected] To do that, they will need a small/medium sized hub operation of at least one carrier. Part of the reason DXB went from a pit stop to a destination is because of EK and DXB.

I agree the big cities should build a hub. But politically, a wayport isn't possible at this time. So let them hub, just stop the bilaterals from inhibiting by creating a wayport.

India has survived open skies with the USA. I could see say Australia signing, then UK and Germany. As long as the existing city is exempt for current bilaterals and only one city, this is a low risk excercise with huge payoff potential.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

VTORD

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:18 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Those jobs lie with the ME3 not India for Indians.

+
aarbee wrote:
As far as on the job front, it is also a plus for India. Consider visiting UAE airport and see how many Indian ex-pats are there.
- There are jobs for people who did not even have an opportunity in India. People who have comparatively better life, sacrifice to staying with their families for the advancement of their families in India.
- On the other end of the spectrum white collar skill set are also flourishing there.
I'm not trying to paint a rosy picture, but where do you think the money ends up eventually. Significant percentage pumped backed into Indian economy.

Well put @aarbee... It is by no means a rosy picture. I believe UAE, Saudi Arabia and the USA account for the lion's share of remittances to India. It's all forex. EK itself employs a large number of Indian F/As, Pilots and Engineers. Those are all jobs going to Indians.

aarbee wrote:
So the choice was NOT lost. ME3 created a choice.
failure of one private FSC does not mean Indian aviation has suffered.
Just because you do not want to fly ME3 does not mean the passengers of daily 5X EK flights to BOM do not want to.

I cannot believe this has to be called out. Again.

anshabhi wrote:
Best of luck getting slot rogue States like Dubai, China, Hong Kong

I would be careful about using the the term "rogue" state so loosely.....

anshabhi wrote:
There's very little traffic which originates in Dubai. Back in 2000 it was even more negligible

That is clearly not true.

VTORD

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:21 pm

KLM Update for DEL from Airline Route:

Amsterdam – Delhi eff 27OCT19 Boeing 747-400PAX/-400COMBI operating, replacing previously filed 787-10
KL871 AMS1240 – 0110+1DEL 744 x7
KL871 AMS1240 – 0110+1DEL 74E 7

KL872 DEL0320 – 0735AMS 74E 1
KL872 DEL0320 – 0735AMS 744 x1

Day 6 from AMS, Day 7 from DEL operated by 747-400COMBI from 27OCT19 to 08DEC19.

Amsterdam – Nairobi eff 27OCT19 Boeing 787-10 replaces previously filed 747-400PAX/-400COMBI
KL565 AMS1200 – 2200NBO 781 D
KL566 NBO2359 – 0630+1AMS 781 D

Any idea if this is been driven by the need to be able to lift cargo?

edealinfo

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 pm

Air India gets it good

"Bilateral rights of Jet Airways have been temporarily allocated to Air India/Air India Express till end of summer schedule 2019 for the sectors as follows - India-Dubai at 5,852 seats per week; India-Hong Kong at 1,792 seats per week; India-Qatar at 5,670 seats per week; India-Singapore at 1,620 seats per week; India-UK at 4,788 seats per week," Puri said in a written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha

edealinfo

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:30 am

Only in India: Bankrupt airlines Jet's shares jump 140% in 3 days.

Who said anything in India is logical?

https://www.news18.com/news/business/je ... 01355.html

edealinfo

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:32 am

Total debt of Air India is 58,000 crores. How much is that in US dollars, in millions or billions?

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/total ... 817411.htm

edealinfo

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 am

Tw0 Indian airlines make it to Skytrax top 100 airlines.

Spot # 58: Indigo

Spot # 69: Vistara

https://www.cnbctv18.com/photos/aviatio ... 808971.htm

CaliguyNYC

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:48 am

Delete
Last edited by CaliguyNYC on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaliguyNYC

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:49 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
aarbee wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

The indigo flight will target Indian tourist not Vietnamese (I am willing to bet that few from Hanoi will vacation in CCU or India). Btw I think the route will fail (unless someone can show me the data that people are flying between the two countries - and we can double that number because of this new flight - 0 X 2 = 0

Of course not initially. Neither I have the data, nor I'm betting the flight will be runaway success. But I'm sure Indigo has some data points.
WRT to not being used by Vietnamese tourists, if there is an opening, budget airline is more possible. If the fares are way lower than the usual FSC fares and the right vacation packages might lure some. I'm sure back in 2000 not many Indians were clamoring to vacation in Dubai, maybe some Vietnamese might start thinking to vacation in India.

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Your point about the ME3 is exactly the point I was making. How is that a win for India. Those jobs lie with the ME3 not India for Indians. Remember you always had the option to fly the ME3 but wait....so so so so many people did not fly them and have no desire to fly them. Choice was lost. That is always a negative. I don't want the ME3 to not fly to India the flip side also holds true - I don't want India to not have airlines that fly long haul when India is a HUGE long haul source country.

IT IS. Providing easy access to world wide destinations to the rest of ping pong playing India outside of BOM is a huge benefit. As a a matter of fact it has relieved the load on BOM and reliance on BOM/DEL for India's passengers.

And that's where you are wrong my friend. I didn't have an option to to fly ME3. For years there was NO option. The only mechanism was to have 40+ hours door-to-door journey on a sub-par product via EU (not great customer service, shaky DC-10s/B747-200s, IFE, food, you name it) , feeling the brunt of BOM in late hours and NO artwork to admire. ME3 provided an option - 24 hr door-door journey, enjoyable products.

So the choice was NOT lost. ME3 created a choice. On top of that because of the convenience, frequency of the visits people to India have increased. Also if there is a need to make shorter trips (1 weekish) its opens up opportunities.

Just because airlines of India cannot figure out on how to cater to this market and failure of one private FSC does not mean Indian aviation has suffered. Indian aviation just registered a blip and moved forward. Just because you do not want to fly ME3 does not mean the passengers of daily 5X EK flights to BOM do not want to.

Aarbee I never said that the ME3 do not provide choice or should go away. You felt that Jet going away doesn’t matter as people can happily fly the ME3. All I keep saying is India needs both - ME3/foreign airlines and strong Indian airlines that fly INTL long haul. They need BOTH and they are not mutually exclusive. The notion that Indian travelers should be happy that the Jet choice is gone is just plain myopic. You so hate connecting in indian airports that even the choice of one makes you mad. Just read your original post and then see my response. The fact remains tons of people connected at BOM to Jet and connect at DEL to AI. So clearly your view isn’t shared by all. And wow India should help develop jobs in DXB because Indians get a better quality of life there than in their own country. You don’t see posts like that on country specific threads. I say develop jobs in india so people don’t have to lean their own country for opportunities.

anshabhi

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:26 am

edealinfo wrote:
Only in India: Bankrupt airlines Jet's shares jump 140% in 3 days.

Who said anything in India is logical?

https://www.news18.com/news/business/je ... 01355.html

It's going out of FNO market. This massive really is fueled by people covering their short positions.

In other news, AI reported net loss of ₹7635 crore in last fiscal

https://mobile.twitter.com/khabri_lal/s ... 9317640192

That makes the money lost by AI in 4 minutes more than the annual income of 60% Indians (₹5 lakhs) :?

Daily Loss = 20.9 crore
Hourly Loss= 87.5 Lakhs

FligtReporter

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:16 am

edealinfo wrote:
Tw0 Indian airlines make it to Skytrax top 100 airlines.

Spot # 58: Indigo

Spot # 69: Vistara

https://www.cnbctv18.com/photos/aviatio ... 808971.htm

You Really beleive in ScamTrax ratings ? I mean an airline like Air Asia is 20th and Turkish airlines is below it...Sorry but majority of aviation world knows that SCAMtrax is a Scam they only rate airlines on the basis of money they are getting from airlines.

Vistara is a baby born with a golden spoon with two legends as its parents and Im sure SIA can afford to put its baby even in the top 10-20 because it gives their "BRAND" a much more shine it already has.

I remember how in 2016 Vistara was rated as the "MOST LOVED AIRLINE IN THE WORLD" back then I liked it but now when I look back at I know it must have been SIA or Tata throwing money at Scamtrax to get their baby a worldwide recognition somehow just a year in its operations.

So I personally believe Vistara will always remain in top 100..I also know they will go up from here next year cause last year they were 86 and now 69..their rate of ascent is higher than the rate of apple falling from the tree.

I wont be surprised if tomorrow AirAsia is even made a 5 star by them lol

unrave

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:41 am

edealinfo wrote:
unrave wrote:
I don't quite follow the logic. Why wouldn't foreign airlines be able to milk CNN for 5th freedom aircraft?

How many from CNN would want to see the world? I suspect most of those using CNN would be O & D passengers so little opportunity to milk 5th freedom

North Kerala is one of India's most prosperous regions and also a leading destination for international tourists. It will have significant connecting traffic
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

avier

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:15 am

FligtReporter

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:37 am

Now who would dare to sit on a 737 for a 5+ hour flight from BOM to HKG. ?

https://m.timesofindia.com/business/ind ... 972859.cms

unrave

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:41 pm

FligtReporter wrote:

Plenty of 737 fly transcontinental routes in the USA - distance and time comparable to BOM-HKG

lightsaber

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:24 pm

unrave wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Plenty of 737 fly transcontinental routes in the USA - distance and time comparable to BOM-HKG

Flights from US West Coast to Hawaii on Alaska and Southwest. Slightly longer than this flight.

If an issue, buy a seat with more room.
How is this worse than say a 9-across A330?

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

CaliguyNYC

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:59 pm

lightsaber wrote:
unrave wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Flights from US West Coast to Hawaii on Alaska and Southwest. Slightly longer than this flight.

Lightsaber

Come on. While a 6 hour flight on a 737 is totally doable, to say it is the same as a wide body is a tough put for me. Wide bodies usually feel more spacious on long flights (and 5 or more hours is a long flight). on JFK-LAX I go out of my way to fly DL's 767 over their 757. And a Alaska 737 doesn't even come into play for me. Also BOM-HKG is a red eye flight. I can't imagine premium pax wanting a 737 with domestic first as J. But I get it - at the right price, even some business class pax will jump at it. So good luck to Spice.

binayak

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:17 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
. I can't imagine premium pax wanting a 737 with domestic first as J. But I get it - at the right price, even some business class pax will jump at it. So good luck to Spice.

They'd rather take CX premium economy than SpiceBiz.

FligtReporter wrote:

The longest I've flown on a narrow body is BOM CAI in Egypt Air 737NG.
But yes, when competition is CX, their SpiceBiz has little scope here.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

avier

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:23 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Also BOM-HKG is a red eye flight. I can't imagine premium pax wanting a 737 with domestic first as J. But I get it - at the right price, even some business class pax will jump at it. So good luck to Spice.

I don't think Spicejet offers or will be offering J class on Int'l flights, even on the HKG route. Even though they may use former Jet aircrafts, they may offer SpiceMax (extra leg room) at the most for Int'l.

And speaking of US based carriers and their long NB flights, they offer more legroom in Y than Indian LCC's, so not a fair comparison.

lightsaber

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:25 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
unrave wrote:

Lightsaber

Come on. While a 6 hour flight on a 737 is totally doable, to say it is the same as a wide body is a tough put for me. Wide bodies usually feel more spacious on long flights (and 5 or more hours is a long flight). on JFK-LAX I go out of my way to fly DL's 767 over their 757. And a Alaska 737 doesn't even come into play for me. Also BOM-HKG is a red eye flight. I can't imagine premium pax wanting a 737 with domestic first as J. But I get it - at the right price, even some business class pax will jump at it. So good luck to Spice.

Yet AA and B6 do extreamely well selling lie flat seats on similar length missions. The seat matters most for the experience (pitch and width), then service, then food. Of course an interior seat or service impacts the experience. But between a widebody and narrowbody? :no:

I too avoid the 757 as there is an interior seat (hard product). I'll go out of my way and pay out of my own product for a superior experience.

Of course a lie flat seat is superior. Let the buyer decide value. Options are good. Would I normally fly an ULCC? No. But for the right total cost and flight length, sure!

In equivalent seats, I have had better experiences on narrowbodies. I have picked domestic J over lie flat on schedule and price. Options are a great thing!

Lightsaber

CaliguyNYC

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:14 pm

lightsaber wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Yet AA and B6 do extreamely well selling lie flat seats on similar length missions. The seat matters most for the experience (pitch and width), then service, then food. Of course an interior seat or service impacts the experience. But between a widebody and narrowbody? :no:

I too avoid the 757 as there is an interior seat (hard product). I'll go out of my way and pay out of my own product for a superior experience.

Of course a lie flat seat is superior. Let the buyer decide value. Options are good. Would I normally fly an ULCC? No. But for the right total cost and flight length, sure!

In equivalent seats, I have had better experiences on narrowbodies. I have picked domestic J over lie flat on schedule and price. Options are a great thing!

Lightsaber

You are right about AA. But I feel their success is more driven by alliance captive than choice. On flyer talk, most DL & UA flyers would chose the wide body transcend over narrow body even with all planes have lie flat in J. DL's 757 J class are not all aisle access while 767 are. But sure I am all for choice and the Indian market is not the US market. If I recall, BOM-HKG has a significant finance crowd. I can't see that demo flying anything other than a wide body with the latest J product.

lightsaber

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:45 pm

For the financial set to HKG, I agree they will want the latest J. Personally, I prefer schedule, but failing that, chose the seat.

Either way, I think SpiceJet is on the right path. When they buy widebodies, they should put in a decent lieflat.

avier wrote:

I believe they need to grow.

Indigo 200+ aircraft
SpiceJet 100+
GoAir 50

To gain economics of scale in mindshare, they must grow quickly.

Still, doubling capacity in about two years is awesome.

https://www.financialexpress.com/indust ... 0764/lite/

Lightsaber

edealinfo

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:17 pm

Govt to get rid of Air India, NO MATTER WHAT

I say, go girl!

https://www.businesstoday.in/sectors/av ... 59577.html

edealinfo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:10 am

I noticed that despite having 28 planes (23 Airbus A320 and 5 Boeing 737-800NG), and 800 flights a week (114/day), VISTARA only flies to 24 destinations (Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Lucknow, Goa, Varanasi, Guwahati, Bagdogra, Bhubaneswar, Srinagar, Jammu, Kochi, Chandigarh, Kolkata, Port Blair, Amritsar, Leh, Ranchi, Dibrugarh and Raipur.)

My questions are as follows:

1) For the size of fleet and number of flights, are the number of destinations (24) relatively conservative, optimal, or aggressive?

2) If the destination count is too conservative, do you think it was to keep operating cost lower than if they had more destinations?

3) Which domestic destinations do you think they should have [assuming they will have more planes]) that they current don't (please don't list more than 5), and why should they be part of the network at this time?

4) Which destinations that they have currently would have been better substituted with those on #3?

5) Which is their most likely NEXT new domestic destination?

6) Surat and Vizakapatnam are among the 10 richest cities in India. ( http://www.pincodeindia.net/top-10-rich ... -india.php ). Why hasn't Vistara targeted those cities as yet?

7) Why isn't Jaipur on the list? It is a hot favorite with other airlines. It is also India's 11th richest City.

8) What about all the "purs" -- Nagpur, Kanpur, Durgapur, Jamshedpur.........and separately, Indore, and Patna?

edealinfo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:34 am

The Taj Mahal is India's most famous tourist site. So, why has the Government not developed or expanded Agra airport? There are zero direct flights to Agra from say, Bangalore, etc. Is it because the central government largely represents a nationalist religious party?

It takes around 5 hours from New Delhi to the Taj via road which means a day trip could be exhausting which could warrant a cheap flight for those seeking to travel in better comfort.

edealinfo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:25 am

I am trying to ascertain how much of Jet's capacity was lost to Europe and how much was substituted. Could you please help me correct and complete the list below?

Capacity LOST (Jet):
BOM - to LHR (3 daily flights)
DEL to LHR (2 daily flights)
BOM - AMS (1 daily flight)
DEL - AMS (1 daily flight)
BLR - AMS (5X weekly)
MAA - CDG (5X weekly)

CAPACITY GAINED - NEW Frequency/Flights
LHR - BOM (Virgin 1 daily)
LHR - BOM (British Airways - additional 3X weekly)
AMS - BLR (KLM 3X weekly)
AMS - BOM (KLM additional 3X weekly?)
BLR - LHR (Air India 3X weekly)

CAPACITY GAINED - ADDITIONAL SEATS
CDG - BOM (Air France, how many additional seats?)
CDG - DEL (Air France, how many additional seats?)
AMS - BOM (KLM, how many additional seats[excluding the 3X new frequencies]?)
AMS - DEL (KLM, how many additional seats?)
LHR - BLR (British Airways, how many additional seats?)

edealinfo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:46 am

"Budget carrier Wizz Air plans to introduce India flights"

I think LiveMint grossly JAZZED UP the context of the story in the story title. First, the A321XLR won't be available for 4 years, and more importantly, the The Wizz executive only mentioned the range that the aircraft was capable -- including flying range from Europe to India. LiveMint ran with the story with a totally incorrect inference.

https://www.livemint.com/companies/news ... 35106.html

edealinfo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:50 am

"Air India might be unlucky for the third time"

Very good evaluation of the issues and prospects for sale.

https://www.businesstoday.in/bt-buzz/ne ... 59540.html

9w748capt

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:08 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

Lightsaber

You are right about AA. But I feel their success is more driven by alliance captive than choice. On flyer talk, most DL & UA flyers would chose the wide body transcend over narrow body even with all planes have lie flat in J. DL's 757 J class are not all aisle access while 767 are. But sure I am all for choice and the Indian market is not the US market. If I recall, BOM-HKG has a significant finance crowd. I can't see that demo flying anything other than a wide body with the latest J product.

No, AA's premium pax aren't just "alliance captive". With the advent of JetBlue Mint, and UA/DL running more transcons with lie-flats than before, there's even more choice than there used to be.

Completely absurd logic. An economy seat is an economy seat. What difference does it make if you're on an A330 or A320? The amount of personal space you have is the same!

And even US carriers are moving more toward dense cabins. AA was even pondering 29 inch pitch in the 737s until the FAs revolted.

unrave

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:31 am

edealinfo wrote:
"Budget carrier Wizz Air plans to introduce India flights"

I think LiveMint grossly JAZZED UP the context of the story in the story title. First, the A321XLR won't be available for 4 years, and more importantly, the The Wizz executive only mentioned the range that the aircraft was capable -- including flying range from Europe to India. LiveMint ran with the story with a totally incorrect inference.

https://www.livemint.com/companies/news ... 35106.html

That is a Bloomberg article. Mint has merely reproduced it under syndication

CaliguyNYC

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:36 am

9w748capt wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

No, AA's premium pax aren't just "alliance captive". With the advent of JetBlue Mint, and UA/DL running more transcons with lie-flats than before, there's even more choice than there used to be.

Completely absurd logic. An economy seat is an economy seat. What difference does it make if you're on an A330 or A320? The amount of personal space you have is the same!

And even US carriers are moving more toward dense cabins. AA was even pondering 29 inch pitch in the 737s until the FAs revolted.

huh I never mentioned coach pax - you are right to a point that a Y seat is a Y seat although I do personally prefer 2X3/4X2 over 3X3 or 3X3X3. But for premium (meaning J travel) what is absurd? I am DL alliance captive and will not fly Mint period. Literally if DL is sold out and there is no other option then I will fly another airline but probably not Jet Blue because I have miles and CC with AA and UA. I am not some unusual flyer fyi. And btw in coach I would take a A330 over a A320 any day of the week. But Y pax are not where the money is JFK-LAX.

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:15 am

IndiGo can start operations to Agra and Khajuraho if the goi wants with their ATRs like DEL-AGR-HJR-VNS-HJR-AGR-DEL..I have been on an air india flight from Delhi-Vns-agr-hjr-vns-del and it was filled with tourists.

Almost 80% of flight was full..With indiGo on its ATR flights it would also help locals in khajuraho as for most of them its not affordable so only tourists use the most beautiful airport in India.
Sad

binayak

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:51 am

edealinfo wrote:
I am trying to ascertain how much of Jet's capacity was lost to Europe and how much was substituted. Could you please help me correct and complete the list below?

Capacity LOST (Jet):
BOM - to LHR (3 daily flights)
DEL to LHR (2 daily flights)
BOM - AMS (1 daily flight)
DEL - AMS (1 daily flight)
BLR - AMS (5X weekly)
MAA - CDG (5X weekly)

CAPACITY GAINED - NEW Frequency/Flights
LHR - BOM (Virgin 1 daily)
LHR - BOM (British Airways - additional 3X weekly)
AMS - BLR (KLM 3X weekly)
AMS - BOM (KLM additional 3X weekly?)
BLR - LHR (Air India 3X weekly)

CAPACITY GAINED - ADDITIONAL SEATS
CDG - BOM (Air France, how many additional seats?)
CDG - DEL (Air France, how many additional seats?)
AMS - BOM (KLM, how many additional seats[excluding the 3X new frequencies]?)
AMS - DEL (KLM, how many additional seats?)
LHR - BLR (British Airways, how many additional seats?)

9W DEL LHR was 1 daily flight not 2 and also you missed out 1 daily BOM CDG on 9W .
In the capacity gained column, AI's 3 weekly LHR BLR should not come because that was present before 9W shutdown.

binayak

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:10 am

edealinfo wrote:
I noticed that despite having 28 planes (23 Airbus A320 and 5 Boeing 737-800NG), and 800 flights a week (114/day), VISTARA only flies to 24 destinations (Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Lucknow, Goa, Varanasi, Guwahati, Bagdogra, Bhubaneswar, Srinagar, Jammu, Kochi, Chandigarh, Kolkata, Port Blair, Amritsar, Leh, Ranchi, Dibrugarh and Raipur.)

My questions are as follows:

1) For the size of fleet and number of flights, are the number of destinations (24) relatively conservative, optimal, or aggressive?

2) If the destination count is too conservative, do you think it was to keep operating cost lower than if they had more destinations?

3) Which domestic destinations do you think they should have [assuming they will have more planes]) that they current don't (please don't list more than 5), and why should they be part of the network at this time?

4) Which destinations that they have currently would have been better substituted with those on #3?

5) Which is their most likely NEXT new domestic destination?

6) Surat and Vizakapatnam are among the 10 richest cities in India. ( http://www.pincodeindia.net/top-10-rich ... -india.php ). Why hasn't Vistara targeted those cities as yet?

7) Why isn't Jaipur on the list? It is a hot favorite with other airlines. It is also India's 11th richest City.

8) What about all the "purs" -- Nagpur, Kanpur, Durgapur, Jamshedpur.........and separately, Indore, and Patna?

1. Currently 24 seems optimal for them. They're not following the mistake of jet airways i e adding slew of destinations hastily.

2. Yes, the operating costs are low if you have a highly limited number of destinations. Best thing they're doing is the destinations served from BOM were already in their network so the new launched BOM routes don't come with much additional costs.

3. I think they should serve CJB , JAI, IXE, and TRV. Both currently lack the premium capacity as whatever premium traffic these cities provided were carried by 9W . They can also try Mumbai - Jodhpur as that was earlier served by 9W and today AI has a monopoly in that route. Premium traffic is there as 9W flew that route for decades.

4. None

5. I'm sure anything out of the ones I mentioned in #3

7. Likely to come soon in the list.

8. Not for Vistara at the moment . Total 30 domestic destinations will be enough for the airline IMO.

On a side note to resolve the fleet issue, they can, in the long run, have only 737s for domestic operations in the current two class config .
The a320s can be used for medium hauls like gulf routes. Premium economy might work out there if they install PTVs in those aircraft. Finally upgrade the a321LR to a321XLR .
This way in future they'll need high narrow body orders from both Airbus and Boeing and can have better negotiations with them and get better deals than any other Indian carrier .

avier

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:06 am

edealinfo wrote:

For the fleet size, Vistara already flies far too many destinations in proportion to fleet count, unlike what you state. Too few planes with too many destinations is recipe for disaster. Read up Southwest model. That's what 6E followed for a very long time. Only recently 6E has started adding many many destinations, because they've reached that scale. But earlier, their strategy was fly few places and fly high frequency amongst all those city pairs.
Speaking of new city pairs they should have (in near future), from Mumbai should be to Jaipur/Udaipur/Mangalore/Kochi/Coimbatore/Guwahati/Nagpur/Indore. Some routes they can mint money on due to AI monopoly, like another user stated, are to Jodhpur/Rajkot/Aurangabad. Mumbai has great potential to virtually whole of India, so distant future plans should be BOM- Everywhere in India.

edealinfo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:56 pm

Thank you avier and binayak for your thoughtful responses and feedback.

On your list of additional destinations you both mentioned IXE (Mangalore) as a potential choice for Vistara. could you elaborate as to why this City May or should have a chance? I know it is the 2nd largest City in Karnataka and has a port and has lost Jet service to Mumbai (3X daily) and Delhi (1X daily). I think some airlines (Indigo and SpiceJet filled some of all of the lost Mumbai capacity). DEL to IXE would be a monopoly route for Vistara but does IXE support business and premium economy traffic? And, wouldn’t Indigo simply add a similar flight and drive Vistara out? Besides a single daily DEL to IXE would add costs for a new station. (Where else could they fly from IXE? The really short BLR to IXE (the most popular route from IXE is already saturated.

I am waiting for VIstara’s July flight magazine which will be released in the next few days. Their updated route map will indicate where they intend to fly with the 5 additional 737 NG aircraft that is being added to their fleet in July 2019.

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:52 pm

I would love if UK flies between LKO-BOM for jet had two flights daily..But lets see whatever floats their boat.

JOYA380B747

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:21 pm

binayak wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
How Calcutta won a Dubai flight but lost a London one
The new route sounds suspiciously like a consolation prize

Love the headline and the byline

https://www.telegraphindia.com/states/w ... id/1693185

TBH CCU never had any non stop to LHR ever . BA did it via DAC / BAH / DEL and AI's flight was via DEL . I think CCU will be able to handle a321XLR to EU but then again we have the range issue .

CCU has had BA flights to LHR on and off since the 1920s with those of the last two or so decades nonstops, and the last scheduled flight being in March 2009. You really have no idea do you?
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

avier

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:36 pm

edealinfo wrote:
On your list of additional destinations you both mentioned IXE (Mangalore) as a potential choice for Vistara. could you elaborate as to why this City May or should have a chance?

I have seen Mangalore as an important air link to Mumbai even during the good old days. It was one of Jet's first few non-metro stations when they started ops in the '90s, and has been an important focus city for them. Have flown them on that sector many times. It also had connectivity from other private airlines back then like East-West Airlines & NEPC and some others maybe, which made it look like an important non-metro station for the airlines then. Just like Gujarat has been an important air link to Mumbai due to the large gujju diaspora in the financial capital. Maybe it's the same reason for Mangalore I guess.
Also if Jet focussed on that route so much, there must be something of value there. As Jet was known to chop many small stations if they didn't work. So if they stuck to it from inception and made it their focus city, it must have potential and decent market. Just like Jet's focus on Saudi, made its rivals realise now that Saudi is a great market and they (6E,SG) are now going all after it. 6E CEO couldn't stop mentioning Jet and Saudi in his recent interview.

binayak

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:19 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:
binayak wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

TBH CCU never had any non stop to LHR ever . BA did it via DAC / BAH / DEL and AI's flight was via DEL . I think CCU will be able to handle a321XLR to EU but then again we have the range issue .

CCU has had BA flights to LHR on and off since the 1920s with those of the last two or so decades nonstops, and the last scheduled flight being in March 2009. You really have no idea do you?

I mentioned BA in my original comment.
In the late '90s , it was LHR DEL CCU on a 747-200 .
And in 2009 , when it stopped, it was a LHR CCU DAC triangular flight.

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:34 pm

So the government babus and netas are saying they are gon get AI divested at ANY COST..and below is link which sorts of traps the gov in their own web as to why they might just fail YET AGAIN.

https://m.businesstoday.in/story/bt-buz ... 59540.html

Now one thing intresting in this article is that how GOI used AI for its own diplomacy and now its trapped like their MOUs with other nations etc.so they cant shut it down either.
So with,
Expansion being Remarkable
Shut down is Impossible
Privatization is Improbable
"BABU"aization is Unstopable
Future of AI seems unimaginable :lol:

edealinfo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:56 pm

Mangalore is also the nearest airport to Manipal where a gazillion Manipal group educational institutions are based. I recall many were at one point donations based meaning you could pay your way in including for a medical degree with 50 percent marks. I guess those that could afford to buy their way could also afford air tickets.

Mangalore also has a huge Infosys office and is home to ONGC Mangalore Refinery. Maybe those companies cover business class

edealinfo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:04 pm

Oh boy, it looks like another circus round as Etihad joins the fray for a bid for Jet via IBC. Even Tatas and Qatar are pondering a bid.

Can we not just say TATA to Jet and call it a day. I only say this because the pre IBC bidding took every one for one big ride. I wouldn’t be surprised if we soon hear from Jason Unsworth as he makes another bid to get free media attention

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.moneyc ... 1.html/amp

srkSJC

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:02 am

edealinfo wrote:

I dont want to wade into any political debate here but press reportage from Calcutta should be read with a pinch (or grain of salt) specially if it is The Statesman or The Telegraph. Apart from that local politicians there have a distinctive anti-delhi mindset (this has percolated to every level of populace in a certain unhealthy way). So making these stories with a touch of journalistic liberties is not entirely out of place. If this same analogy is accepted ( about DXB-CCU flights) then Hyderabad also elected BJP MP's so a HYD-LGW or HYD-London Stansted, HYD-Najaf(HYD has a sizeable Shia population btw{also the reason why Banjara Hills has a Iranian Consulate there}, or HYD-Riyadh, HYD-Dammam must be launched to achieve political purposes. I think AI wanted to use DXB slots as quickly as possible so this flight was announced. My suspicion is that they may connect with DHAKA and make this DAC-CCU-DXB because that is where the actual traffic is. 9W used to do this DAC-BOM-DXB if i am not mistaken.

Here is why i made this statement - https://www.thehindu.com/elections/lok- ... 227118.ece

On the political point i am happy to discuss with you in private {outside of this forum} since mods here have repeatedly stressed that detailed political statements to be avoided and i dont want to banned from here.

anshabhi

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:29 am

edealinfo wrote:
Thank you avier and binayak for your thoughtful responses and feedback.

On your list of additional destinations you both mentioned IXE (Mangalore) as a potential choice for Vistara. could you elaborate as to why this City May or should have a chance? I know it is the 2nd largest City in Karnataka and has a port and has lost Jet service to Mumbai (3X daily) and Delhi (1X daily). I think some airlines (Indigo and SpiceJet filled some of all of the lost Mumbai capacity). DEL to IXE would be a monopoly route for Vistara but does IXE support business and premium economy traffic? And, wouldn’t Indigo simply add a similar flight and drive Vistara out? Besides a single daily DEL to IXE would add costs for a new station. (Where else could they fly from IXE? The really short BLR to IXE (the most popular route from IXE is already saturated.

I am waiting for VIstara’s July flight magazine which will be released in the next few days. Their updated route map will indicate where they intend to fly with the 5 additional 737 NG aircraft that is being added to their fleet in July 2019.

IXE has been impacted a lot by CNN. The same catchment area now has 2 airports to be served, with CNN being larger and more modern too. The area is full of gulf NRIs, which is why IXE was a very attractive airport before CNN came into existence.

edealinfo wrote:
Mangalore is also the nearest airport to Manipal where a gazillion Manipal group educational institutions are based. I recall many were at one point donations based meaning you could pay your way in including for a medical degree with 50 percent marks. I guess those that could afford to buy their way could also afford air tickets.

Hey I study at Manipal Institute of Technology. No we don't have any donation or management quota now :) Qualifying Manipal Entrance Test is the only the way to get in here.

But definitely, our fees is among the highest you're going to find in our country. My 4 years is going to be around 20 lakhs, for MBBS its close to 60 lakhs. Air tickets are peanuts compared to our fees. Almost all of my friends fly to IXE when vacations come. But the thing is we don't fly everyday. There's a lot of traffic near vacations and very little at other times.

avier

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:55 am

anshabhi wrote:
IXE has been impacted a lot by CNN. The same catchment area now has 2 airports to be served, with CNN being larger and more modern too. The area is full of gulf NRIs, which is why IXE was a very attractive airport before CNN came into existence.

Kannur(CNN) is closer to Calicut(CCJ) than Mangalore. So Calicut and CNN would be sharing more of the common catchment area, also they both being in the same state of Kerala.
CNN to Calicut is ~90Km, CNN to Mangalore is ~150Km. And Calicut has plenty of Gulf flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos