FligtReporter

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - June 2019

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:22 am

unrave wrote:
blrsea wrote:
CFM wins blockbuster jet engine order from IndiGo: Sources

Engine maker CFM International is poised to announce one of the world's largest jet engine orders with a deal for more than 600 engines from India's IndiGo, industry sources said.
The two sides are putting finishing touches to the deal in time for an announcement at next week's Paris Airshow, they added. CFM International and IndiGo declined to comment.

IndiGo has finally run out of patience. Great win for CFM. Big loss for PW

Isnt this the same type of Engines that AI's A321s have ?

unrave

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:26 am

FligtReporter wrote:
unrave wrote:
blrsea wrote:

It is the same type of engines that the neos operated by AI and UK have
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

FligtReporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:09 am

unrave wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
unrave wrote:

It is the same type of engines that the neos operated by AI and UK have

Oh so its just the technology variation,the size will be the same and I hope also the quietness of thr engine will be the same too.
So just the Company change probably rest everythin same.

anshabhi

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:04 am

FligtReporter wrote:
So just the Company change probably rest everythin same.

Umm I think you need to get updated with the infinite issues faced by 6E due to frequent PW engine failures.

FligtReporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:21 pm

Here we go again..IndiGo announces new ATR routes to Buddhist circuit till now only AI was the carier which flew to Gaya and between Gaya and Varanasi with IndiGo's entry it will become more difficult for AI to attract customers.

Waiting for IndiGo to launch routes to Kullu,Bikaner,Khajuraho and agra too finally truly dominating Pan India.

https://www.traveltrendstoday.in/news/a ... st-circuit

CaliguyNYC

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:31 pm

unrave wrote:
Yet another article that highlights the gross mismanagement of Air India under the previous government

https://www.financialexpress.com/opinio ... s/1605836/

Hasn't Ai been mismanaged but ALL governments of India - Congress, BJP...

I really hope they sell AI. That said I don't think there is a chance in hell for AI to just close. That would be super crazy (even worse than what happened with Jet). The GOI should just sell AI and keep all the liabilities. So then GOI would just be losing Liabilities minus sale price rather than 100% of the liabilities. Plus one advantage of privatization is that all the suck cost of building the company at least can be used by someone in the country so not a 100% loss. The issue in India is that people will scream that the buyer got some inside deal by not taking all the debt. And the circle continues...

And for the record I think any AI buyer will immediately want to rationalize routes and costs (meaning cut routes and cut staff and renegotiate vendor deals like AI's god awful cleaning contract).

CaliguyNYC

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:36 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
Here we go again..IndiGo announces new ATR routes to Buddhist circuit till now only AI was the carier which flew to Gaya and between Gaya and Varanasi with IndiGo's entry it will become more difficult for AI to attract customers.

Waiting for IndiGo to launch routes to Kullu,Bikaner,Khajuraho and agra too finally truly dominating Pan India.

I never understood why Indigo's entry causes Spice and AI or whomever people here say to run away from the route. Are these routes really just having enough demand for one flight? Even if Indigo slashes fares in an irresponsible way, shouldn't demand increase. Again I would understand on a few exotic routes like BOM - Dehradun (low volume but enough higher end tourist interest to make work in peak season), but it seems like so many routes people say this. Indian airlines need to have better loyalty programs or service differentiation. If it is ticket price only, it seems like a bloodbath.

FligtReporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:51 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

I never understood why Indigo's entry causes Spice and AI or whomever people here say to run away from the route. Are these routes really just having enough demand for one flight? Even if Indigo slashes fares in an irresponsible way, shouldn't demand increase. Again I would understand on a few exotic routes like BOM - Dehradun (low volume but enough higher end tourist interest to make work in peak season), but it seems like so many routes people say this. Indian airlines need to have better loyalty programs or service differentiation. If it is ticket price only, it seems like a bloodbath.

IndiGo is like the market bully the Legend of Indian aviation and its pretty much for other ailrines like "When IndiGo comes in We Go Out" :lol:

I do feel AI will have some respite as IndiGo has spared AI by not launching GAYA-DELHi-GAYA which still makes AI as the only airline for us the Delhi area folks to visit Gaya..but Who knows,Boss 6E might just playin games with big bro AI and they might start ops from DEL-GAYA too

FligtReporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:15 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
unrave wrote:
Yet another article that highlights the gross mismanagement of Air India under the previous government

https://www.financialexpress.com/opinio ... s/1605836/

Hasn't Ai been mismanaged but ALL governments of India - Congress, BJP...

I really hope they sell AI. That said I don't think there is a chance in hell for AI to just close. That would be super crazy (even worse than what happened with Jet). The GOI should just sell AI and keep all the liabilities. So then GOI would just be losing Liabilities minus sale price rather than 100% of the liabilities. Plus one advantage of privatization is that all the suck cost of building the company at least can be used by someone in the country so not a 100% loss. The issue in India is that people will scream that the buyer got some inside deal by not taking all the debt. And the circle continues...

And for the record I think any AI buyer will immediately want to rationalize routes and costs (meaning cut routes and cut staff and renegotiate vendor deals like AI's god awful cleaning contract).

I dont know who will buy AI at first place even after all you've mentioned as a pre requisite for GOI to sell it.If it doesnt get privatised I dont think it ever will and will probably continue as it is.AI and Alitalia are two great examples of dead airlines that are still flying.I have been seing these videos for at least a decade now claiming AI on the verge of collapse but seems like nothing seems to be happening.

Lets see what the future holds.

avier

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:

It's not just demand, but also the yield that matters. 6E adds enough capacity alone to match the total demand of the route and lowers fares accordingly to make it unsustainable for its rivals. So yes, it's mostly the ticket price and to some extent frequency, timings, all of which 6E offers to make them the most preferred on the route.
Just last year this had come on media after the CM of a North-East state complained to the centre of other airlines pulling out due to IndiGo flooding those routes with low fares. This is no different than what other major LCC's do in their home markets, like AirAsia and Lion Air in their home countries.

https://m.economictimes.com/industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/rivals-allege-indigo-of-using-its-strength-to-squeeze-them-out/articleshow/66423453.cms

VTORD

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:31 pm

FligtReporter wrote:

I hope UK flies to Houston or Southern US for theres a lot of Indian diaspora there and its not served by neither AI nor the American 3

Houston may not be the best place to start US routes for UK. The diaspora in Houston is not as big as say DFW or LAX. Plus IAH is a UA hub so LH gets good feed there and it is served by EK, QR, TK, SQ, BA, AF, KLand CA.

DFW can be looked at (assuming the B789 can make it DEL-DFW - given that DEL makes most sense for UK to launch international long haul). Based on their code share with BA and JL (both OW), I would say if they can leverage a relationship with AA, DFW could work. The question is what % of BA feed will that eat in to. Other than that the only other city left in the "south" is ATL which I don't see happening. If DL didn't think it was strong enough for their BOM n/s (which is what i was predicting), with TK, QR, VS, AF, KL and DL, ATL is well covered.

That leaves (in the US at least) LAX as good candidate for a TPAC routing from DEL.

FligtReporter wrote:
However with AI already forcing Etihad to scrap their SFO and flying to 5 US cities I dont think UK would be able to fill their 789s if they fly to the same cities as AI or any of the A3 do..So lets see where they choose to fly in long haul may be africa or South America lol

EY's SFO route cut was also largely due to their cost / financial issues. I guess running a 77L with F just wasn't cutting it for them on SFO. Kudos to AI for making SFO a success but the if AI was the sole reason EY cut SFO, then ORD should have gone a lot earlier from their n/w and it's still there.

FligtReporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:48 pm

VTORD wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

I hope UK flies to Houston or Southern US for theres a lot of Indian diaspora there and its not served by neither AI nor the American 3

Houston may not be the best place to start US routes for UK. The diaspora in Houston is not as big as say DFW or LAX. Plus IAH is a UA hub so LH gets good feed there and it is served by EK, QR, TK, SQ, BA, AF, KLand CA.

DFW can be looked at (assuming the B789 can make it DEL-DFW - given that DEL makes most sense for UK to launch international long haul). Based on their code share with BA and JL (both OW), I would say if they can leverage a relationship with AA, DFW could work. The question is what % of BA feed will that eat in to. Other than that the only other city left in the "south" is ATL which I don't see happening. If DL didn't think it was strong enough for their BOM n/s (which is what i was predicting), with TK, QR, VS, AF, KL and DL, ATL is well covered.

That leaves (in the US at least) LAX as good candidate for a TPAC routing from DEL.

FligtReporter wrote:
However with AI already forcing Etihad to scrap their SFO and flying to 5 US cities I dont think UK would be able to fill their 789s if they fly to the same cities as AI or any of the A3 do..So lets see where they choose to fly in long haul may be africa or South America lol

EY's SFO route cut was also largely due to their cost / financial issues. I guess running a 77L with F just wasn't cutting it for them on SFO. Kudos to AI for making SFO a success but the if AI was the sole reason EY cut SFO, then ORD should have gone a lot earlier from their n/w and it's still there.

When EY used to fly from SFO-AUH my dad happen to fly it in its Last days and he told me he didnt expect the whole cabin to feel completely empty.Even many rows in economy where one could easily lie down lol.
I believe me (Indian Visitors) and most of the Indians(Non resident Indians) in Bay,US area and abroad in general oprefer NON STOP + CHEAP flights to India and thats why they consider AI over EK and other transit airlines especially those with older parents and grand parents.

With AI flying to 5 US cities non stop I believe DFW could be a considering spot for UK if they plan to launch their US routes however,I do believe LAX could work for them too but uts entirely upon them so lets see what they plan.

binayak

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:12 pm

FligtReporter wrote:

With AI flying to 5 US cities non stop I believe DFW could be a considering spot for UK if they plan to launch their US routes however,I do believe LAX could work for them too but uts entirely upon them so lets see what they plan.

Let's get less fancy here! UK won't be burning itself by flying to LAX or IAH or DFW at a time when their int'l footprint is low .
Average demand for DEL LAX is around half of DEL SFO and also remember LAX won't have any IT industry to support the flight unlike SFO.
IAH and DFW both are too long and yields won't be worth flying that distance.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

JOYA380B747

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:13 pm

With the exit of 9W, being left with less and less choices of J travel in domestic, I was forced to take an AI flight on the DEL-MAA sector yesterday, when the sandstorm had struck DEL.

You really get to see how mismanaged everything is at AI. It is not one area, but on every single step!

1. I had paid for an upgrade of a Y ticket to J at airport and with the receipt was told to report to the checkin counter for at seat in business. I was given a seat 5C (after being told that it is upgraded, which I had foolishly believed to be true as it was an A321 and I was given ticket with 'Business' Label). At the AI lounge the seemingly only efficient staff at AI, a kind lady, had realized what had been wronged with me, and made some calls to fix the problem and got it rectified there itself with a new seat number penned on the boarding pass. At boarding I faced the harassment again, when while boarding the groundstaff couldn't find my upgrade in their 'system'. Thankfully I was able to sternly show them my upgrade receipt following which they apparently understood god knows what at let me proceed to my upgraded seat.

I mean, if this is how things work, what exactly do these gutter animals at AI do staring at their computers? Play solitaire, or lament about their miserable lives on facebook?

2. The onboard 'experience' is another area of laughable spectacle. Ground staff running helter-skelter between the aircraft and the aerobridge like the entrance to a wholesale vegetable market. It is a chaos of unimaginable levels for a commercial airline. The onboard food was tasteless, dry and under-seasoned not on the lines of a plate of bad food in Eastern Europe, but rather like meals served to jail inmates. Cabin crew were polite and attentive to requests though.

3. Keeping with the cabin crew though, the most unimaginably surprising thing I saw was that they failed to begin preparing the cabin for landing until the aircraft was on final approach. I woke from my sleep to find everyone's seat reclined (including mine), laptops & trays opened, etc whilst the buildings outside kept getting bigger and bigger making me confused wether what I am seeing was right! The pilots probably informed them nothing about cabin preparing for landing, They then started hurrying with cabin prep and finished doing everything less than a minute prior to touchdown, LESS THAN A MINUTE!

If there is one airline, well one public company of any kind actually, that should go down in this country, it has to be AI. I would've made it my life's goal for it to happen in another life.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

FligtReporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:26 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:
With the exit of 9W, being left with less and less choices of J travel in domestic, I was forced to take an AI flight on the DEL-MAA sector yesterday, when the sandstorm had struck DEL.

You really get to see how mismanaged everything is at AI. It is not one area, but on every single step!

1. I had paid for an upgrade of a Y ticket to J at airport and with the receipt was told to report to the checkin counter for at seat in business. I was given a seat 5C (after being told that it is upgraded, which I had foolishly believed to be true as it was an A321 and I was given ticket with 'Business' Label). At the AI lounge the seemingly only efficient staff at AI, a kind lady, had realized what had been wronged with me, and made some calls to fix the problem and got it rectified there itself with a new seat number penned on the boarding pass. At boarding I faced the harassment again, when while boarding the groundstaff couldn't find my upgrade in their 'system'. Thankfully I was able to sternly show them my upgrade receipt following which they apparently understood god knows what at let me proceed to my upgraded seat.

I mean, if this is how things work, what exactly do these gutter animals at AI do staring at their computers? Play solitaire, or lament about their miserable lives on facebook?

2. The onboard 'experience' is another area of laughable spectacle. Ground staff running helter-skelter between the aircraft and the aerobridge like the entrance to a wholesale vegetable market. It is a chaos of unimaginable levels for a commercial airline. The onboard food was tasteless, dry and under-seasoned not on the lines of a plate of bad food in Eastern Europe, but rather like meals served to jail inmates. Cabin crew were polite and attentive to requests though.

3. Keeping with the cabin crew though, the most unimaginably surprising thing I saw was that they failed to begin preparing the cabin for landing until the aircraft was on final approach. I woke from my sleep to find everyone's seat reclined (including mine), laptops & trays opened, etc whilst the buildings outside kept getting bigger and bigger making me confused wether what I am seeing was right! The pilots probably informed them nothing about cabin preparing for landing, They then started hurrying with cabin prep and finished doing everything less than a minute prior to touchdown, LESS THAN A MINUTE!

If there is one airline, well one public company of any kind actually, that should go down in this country, it has to be AI. I would've made it my life's goal for it to happen in another life.

Such Reviews sadly go down the drain for Airlines dont work as per few passengers "PERSONAL OPINIONS"..I mean if that were the case I would have made it my ultimate goal to make sure BA and UA shut down in another life,Unfortunately we cant do nothing if you dont like a particular airline Dont fly them Simple as that afterall its your money that speaks louder than complaints to the aviation industry.

CaliguyNYC

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 pm

VTORD wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

FligtReporter wrote:

I think EY was really hurt in SFO also by the fact that AA made earning FF miles on EY very difficult and did not grant status miles. Most Indians in SF are professionals and probably have FF credit cards, so flying an independent airline is tough. So you had Star flyers that needed to get to smaller cities go to AI (they got UA FF miles/status) and AA flyers bail to other OW airlines. EK could survive probably based on the sheer connection network out of DXB.

CaliguyNYC

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:37 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:

Funny thing, my mom just flew EY CDG-AUH-BOM after a trip to Paris. She got to fly EY's A380 in J from CDG. I asked how her flight was, and she said ok. She didn't like connecting in AUH nor what she called the old plane form AUH-BOM (was a 777). I will say that my mom is of the generation where the ME was not considered a top connecting point. She then said that she preferred AI's 787 that she flew FRA-BOM a few months ago. She really liked the super wide seats there. Remember she doesn't use IFE and doesn't care about super fancy food service (she feels that is what restaurants are). She does like AI's Indian food and choice of both Non Veg and Veg Indian options (although orders western 25% of the time). Also the staff is always super nice to her and respectful - they, like Jet, will put her carryon in the bin (not saying staff should do that, but she loves the help). So to each their own. I have no intention of joining her on AI, but happy mom, happy life. And you can't beat AI's sale J fares (plus their over 60 fares in J when they have them).

SATexan

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:24 pm

avier wrote:
[
That doesn't reflect the reality of things like the way you make it seem.
You haven't even considered other factors like BOM having way more options/seats on int'l markets which would mean pax have other ways to get to those above mentioned cities you have used as a reference. Hence, BOM would have seats available at last minute while BLR wouldn't, but that doesn't prove the latter has more demand.
That logic would be fair if the seat count or frequencies to Int'l markets were almost equal out of the two airports, which it's clearly not.
BA has 18 weekly flights from LHR to BOM , just 7 weekly to BLR.
LH has from BOM a total 14 weekly to Germany (FRA+MUC) plus Swiss 7 weekly, so total 21 weekly from LH group. BLR just 7 weekly from LH group.
14 weekly non-stop services from BOM-EWR on Star Alliance carriers (AI+UA). Whereas BLR has none, and no non-stops even to USA. AC operates from YYZ on and off to BOM too.
SQ has 21 weekly (all WB's including an A380) , CX 14 weekly (77W's) , EK 35 weekly (including an A380) and such, while BLR receives far fewer seats from those carriers. The list of such carriers goes on from BOM , many of which don't even serve BLR.
So last minute availability of seats out of a city or the price is not a defining factor to show which airport's more popular or having more demand. If last minute fares on flights (or its availablity thereof) from Rajkot to Amreeka cost more than BOM to Amreeka, we can't apply your flawed logic of RAJ having more demand than BOM for US flights. It's a factor of number of available seats out of the city. Rajkot has barely a single daily to BOM/DEL each, so it would cost more at the last moment obviously because seats would be booked out on such limited inventory.
BLR still has comparatively has far fewer int'l seats than the big two Indian airports , and is even lesser than MAA as per the last data. Heck, till a year back or so, even COK had more int'l seats than BLR. So your data goes on to prove nothing.
Also, if BLR airport authorities go on harping about more premium demand at their airport than any other Indian airport, well, thats their PR job to woo more airlines. But the airlines are not fools, they have access to all the valuable pax data and know more about each city's potential than what BLR airport authorities claim.

Well, well, well, I' m afraid you missed the whole crux of the data presented when you came up with your own hypothesis. I am even more surprised that the two individuals that the data was directed at have cheered your response even though they exactly know what the data was pointing to.

This particular discussion was started when I merely stated that BLR commands fare premium in last minute J class travel to India from US. This fact was disputed by two posters and one of them brought in BOM for comparison. I then presented data with a specific set of conditions that are applicable to last minute J flier. Under that condition, BLR has continued to command premium over BOM.

Your argument that EK and BA have more capacity into BOM has NO relevance to the fare data presented. A last minute J flier will fly the shortest possible schedule on any given airline. Between the city pairs presented in USA to BLR/ BOM, it doesn't matter if EK has 5 times a day schedule from DXB-BOM, since a J class traveller will NOT prefer to take a schedule that will take him/her 28-40 hours to reach BOM over a schedule that is closer to 20 hours. Given that, why on earth would I include a ORD-BOM flight on SQ for fare-data comparison when the shortest option is close to 50 hours or ORD-BLR on SQ when the shortest option is close to 64 hours of travel ???

So, in the data that has presented it has been clearly stated that the price comparison has been on flights operated by the same airline on their shortest flying duration with their flagship hubs; a fact that you clearly MISSED. So I will stick with my data that BLR commands a fare premium and seat-shortage in J class travel to India. No one on this thread has presented any data to prove otherwise. This simply proves that BLR is underserved. Not making any judgement about the level of service in BOM or any other city in India, just stating the plain fact that Bengaluru is underserved. Again, your point of BOM having a plethora of longish 30 hour+ schedule on various combinations of airlines is applicable for Economy class. That's a discussion for another day.

Also, just because airlines are dumping capacity in a certain airport doesn't mean that they are profitable. Further, average fare-data between city pairs is strictly focused on pricing. If a city pair has lower average fare because of competition it still implies that the fares are CHEAPER over another city pair that has HIGHER average fares because of lower competition. Higher average fares are always better for airlines more-so when stage-lengths involved are similar.

You bringing Rajkot and Cochin into a discussion that had everything to do with USA-India J class fares tells me that you simply have no clue about the crux of the debate. Also, please avoid making cheapshots by stating that the BLR airport is doing a PR stunt in promoting the airport. No airport in the world can simply do a PR stunt when you don't have numbers on your side. Just ask Hyderabad !!!

I reckon that you (and many many others posting in Indian Aviation) do some research on O&D data between city pairs that have been referenced, YoY O&D growth, YoY traffic growth and fare data. Besides, there are are subscription sites available which clearly list out inventory availability and pricing for premium classes. Take a look at them. May be then, you will understand what is being talked about.

I can present some more data that are hard facts. But, clearly there is an anathema on this thread with regard to any FACTUAL DATA that is presented. It is hysterical and comical. Period.

aarbee

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:23 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
aarbee wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

Ugh, sorry I assumed since this was an aviation board, I wouldn't have to state the obvious.

Really, I thought otherwise. Since you were suggesting that "just take 5 planes and start", I wanted bring to your attention that airline business is NOT as easy as you make it sound - "just get planes and start".
CaliguyNYC wrote:
Vistara is a partnership with SQ. Right there you can tick off most of your list from ground staff in outside stations to expertise. Plus I never said start tomorrow. Start in October (winter schedule). They would use SQ's seats, IFE etc and can even wet lease the aircraft if needed. Also they have the backing of the Tatas and Tata consultancy. I mean how much resources do Indian companies need to launch long haul?

Just because UK is in partnership with SQ does not mean that everything is readily available. SQ does not have to drop everything, divert resources, provide materials, so that UK can start BOM-EU/US routes for your convince. "just take planes and start" does imply NOW. Nowhere in your statements have you provided a time frame.

Tomorrow you might think Vistara should exclusively give Jaguar chauffeur services to passengers, because they have the backing of Tatas and Tata Consultancy.
Tatas are not just sitting out there twiddling their thumbs waiting to jump in Vistara management because beloved Jet Airways failed.

CaliguyNYC wrote:

So now given the above, do you still think Vistara should be so overly cautious? How much lead time do you think is fair - 6 months, 1 year, 5 years? Love to hear your thoughts. Btw still don't think what I asked was "ludicrous" - that is a strong word.

Does not matter what I think or you think. Business create their own business plans, and it's up to them how much cautious they need to be. It's their investment.
Your statement was ludicrous because you made it sound like, just because of beloved Jet Airways' mis-management, Vistara should drop everything drive down to the next used planes salesman, buy 5 787s and volla - lets start BOM-LHR full service route.

It is not just this, earlier you had accused SG and Indigo for botching up international opportunities just because beloved Jet Airways failed and never bothered to response.

- R

Aarbee that is exactly my point no Indian airline is able to fill the gap for Jet's long haul. Not Vistara (with SQ and Tatas), not Indigo (with its profits) and not Spice (with its govt backing). The question is why can't they expand - they don't want to , they don't have the resources, they don't have the skill set, etc etc. You are not giving an opnion. You are just saying they don't have to. Ok you are right. They don't have to do anything. It is still a missed opportunity.

Yes, for the time being the gap will be there. But it's not like just because it's not an Indian airline it's an issue. Other foreign airlines will (and have plans) on filling those gaps.
IMO for Vistara's success, they should not start long haul as a knee jerk reaction to Jet folding up or a stopgap think which they can do. If it's in their business plans, if they think they can make money out of it, surely would love to see them. But long haul international does not seem to be in their immediate plans (no planes). If and when they do (even if now), all my best wishes to them for their success.

And seriously, for FSC who has more celebrated and reputed backing providing a international long haul product out of used 787 (or any others) is a bad idea. There's nothing wrong with used planes. If I were Vistara wanting start international long haul, having SQ & Tatas reputation behind me, I would want to start with a product which will have a long lasting impression. It will boil down to missed opportunity or messed up the opportunity.

Ingido and Spice (seriously let's get off this sole govt backing ideas) would not be a good fit for international long haul. Their product is not suited for international long haul, unless if they can consistently find plane load of Europe bound backpackers for whom it might suit.

CaliguyNYC wrote:
And I am sorry you think having an opinion that some Indian airline should step up and try to fill in the gap of Jet's long haul is a hateful opinion to have. It is almost you are personally offended because I lament the sorry state of Indian aviation.

Umm! Where did I indicate it's a hateful opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But this constant idea, that Jet was the whole and sole of Indian aviation and it MUST be resurrected at all costs, and if NO actions are taken in that direction then throw anything that can stick : GOI, Indian banks, Indian PM (continuously misspelling his name stinks of hatred) , throwing a fit for issuing a lookout notice for NG, putting down Indian electorate, comparisons to NK, etc. etc. is NOT quite cool.

You lament "Sorry state of Indian aviation" because Jet's downfall and it's effect to BOM.
I see progress of Indian aviation because of creating and nurturing new markets within India having N/S services between secondary, tertiary and beyond localities. BOM oriented folks need to look beyond Mumbai in the rest of India. It is just mind-blowing to see availability of services on routes where previously options were Indian railways OR transit through BOM/DEL at the cost of almost 2/3 additional time and that too in NO thanks to Jet. That applies to international sector as well (3 X BOM-LHR, prime example). Most of their international operation revolved around BOM-LON-NYC and they missed the boat

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Btw to like 50% of all the net speculation and question around new airline routes, acquisitions, new cities one could respond with the same - the airline doesn't have to. What type of discussion would that be.

Hope what I stated above answers that.

-R
Love the AIXes

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:47 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
JOYA380B747 wrote:

Funny thing, my mom just flew EY CDG-AUH-BOM after a trip to Paris. She got to fly EY's A380 in J from CDG. I asked how her flight was, and she said ok. She didn't like connecting in AUH nor what she called the old plane form AUH-BOM (was a 777). I will say that my mom is of the generation where the ME was not considered a top connecting point. She then said that she preferred AI's 787 that she flew FRA-BOM a few months ago. She really liked the super wide seats there. Remember she doesn't use IFE and doesn't care about super fancy food service (she feels that is what restaurants are). She does like AI's Indian food and choice of both Non Veg and Veg Indian options (although orders western 25% of the time). Also the staff is always super nice to her and respectful - they, like Jet, will put her carryon in the bin (not saying staff should do that, but she loves the help). So to each their own. I have no intention of joining her on AI, but happy mom, happy life. And you can't beat AI's sale J fares (plus their over 60 fares in J when they have them).

As I said Money speaks louder than "REVIEWS" some folks who just hate an airline for the sake of hating it,happen to be the first ones to book its tickets when available at cheapest price lol.

unrave

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 am

Breaking from their previous stance of buying ATR aircraft outright, IndiGo has signed deal with Chous Aviation for SLB of 6 ATR aircraft to be delivered this year.
In other news IndiGo has slowed induction of ATR aircraft owing to pilot shortage.

unrave

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:03 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
And you can't beat AI's sale J fares (plus their over 60 fares in J when they have them).

You say that's a good thing!
We resident Indian taxpayers end up heavily subsidising the annual pilgrimage of NRIs to the motherland.

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:09 am

unrave wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
And you can't beat AI's sale J fares (plus their over 60 fares in J when they have them).

We resident Indian taxpayers end up heavily subsidising the annual pilgrimage of NRIs to the motherland.

Word Subsidy reminds me of an issue of HAJJ..Does GOI still has subsidy for HAJJ pilgrims and does it effect the cost saving of AI indirectly more loss ?

yashk

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:11 am

unrave wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

I don’t why few people like you are so cynical on this forum. What he means is that the promotions make AI a good choice for travel. He is not advocating/ supporting the subsidy - just saying that it’s mere existence makes AI a lucrative option for his mother’s travel. However much you feel whether some freebie is bad, if offered to you, I doubt you will refuse. Now just cause subsidies towards AI are bad, an NRI or for that matter anyone should not use AIs discounted schemes?

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:16 am

yashk wrote:
unrave wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

I don’t why few people like you are so cynical on this forum. What he means is that the promotions make AI a good choice for travel. He is not advocating/ supporting the subsidy - just saying that it’s mere existence makes AI a lucrative option for his mother’s travel. However much you feel whether some freebie is bad, if offered to you, I doubt you will refuse. Now just cause subsidies towards AI are bad, an NRI or for that matter anyone should not use AIs discounted schemes?

:bigthumbsup:

unrave

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:43 am

yashk wrote:
unrave wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

I will continue to be cynical as long as AI survives on taxpayer handouts

avier

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:03 am

SATexan wrote:
Well, well, well, I' m afraid you missed the whole crux of the data presented when you came up with your own hypothesis. I am even more surprised that the two individuals that the data was directed at have cheered your response even though they exactly know what the data was pointing to.

This particular discussion was started when I merely stated that BLR commands fare premium in last minute J class travel to India from US. This fact was disputed by two posters and one of them brought in BOM for comparison. I then presented data with a specific set of conditions that are applicable to last minute J flier. Under that condition, BLR has continued to command premium over BOM.

Your argument that EK and BA have more capacity into BOM has NO relevance to the fare data presented...

Thank you for writing so much, but it's still apparently all nonsense. It looks like you still stick to your logic based off only- "last minute J fares" as the "crux" of your data. And here, I am the one who has stated actual data of airlines serving the two cities and you have made up your own hypothesis to put your favourite airport at a high spot, and then claim the other way round of me coming up with my own hypothesis! Very interesting.
I hope there is some understanding of dynamic pricing from your side, which is applicable to even J cabins, which again depends on available inventory from the city, even on last minute basis. And if there is a shortage of J seats from BLR, there would be a reason as to why there is limited supply. Airlines probably don't see it fit for more J capacity, at least not as much as the big two Indian airports. If there was such demand, I'm sure airlines, international or domestic, would have upped J capacity to match BOM/DEL premium cabin capacity and there is nothing stopping the airlines from doing that. But no, that's not happening, sorry. And still out of thin air you're make such absurd cliams of BLR having the highest demand for premium cabins. There is not even an iota of understanding on this from your side, even the juveniles visiting this forum would get some of this, and you go on to question others understanding about how this works. I would hate to pull out last minutes J fares from Rajkot and such cities to ORD and the likes, it would probably upset you when based off your own logic. Even if you pulled out last minute J fares from MAA to those cities, it would make things more clear to you. MAA has similar int'l seat capacity as BLR. Please show me that. Would be interesting.
SATexan wrote:
Again, your point of BOM having a plethora of longish 30 hour+ schedule on various combinations of airlines is applicable for Economy class. That's a discussion for another day.

Anything to back up your statements? Or it's again all out of thin air to put your favourite airport in top spot? Sounds like airlines are flying only cramped all Economy Y cabin aircrafts to BOM on long flights. Please show me off your subscription websites to prove your points again. Seems like you can't digest how airlines are sending their premium heavy cabin aircrafts to the big two metros.
SATexan wrote:
Also, just because airlines are dumping capacity in a certain airport doesn't mean that they are profitable....

Very true. And that applies the most to one airport in India...BLR. That's the one airport where airlines, especially market leader, have been throwing capacity, and showing artificial YoY growth at the airport. And charging ₹1500 (~$20) fares on shorter high volume routes like COK/MAA/HYD all year round doesn't signify profitability too.
Also, the moment users on threads start getting personal with "You don't know/understand.." or similar starting statements repeatedly , it shows they've already lost out and have nothing substantial to prove their flawed points. Hence, their personal attacks. It's evident there are BLR airport execs. on this thread publicizing their own self-made data to glorify their airport. And yeah, please show me some real external and not in-house data and its source to prove your points and not just "last minute fares". And make sure it's not self made on your powerpoints with BLR airport logo on the templates.

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:20 am

Vistara announces direct flight From Chandigarh To Mumbai and this is its 5th flight from the City.UK seems to be expanding at a stable steady rate,seems pretty good for an FSC.

As much as I would want them to link my base VILK to more cities,I wont want them to make haste descisions like 9W did by launching insane Flights like the one to ALLAHABAD from LUCKNOW and once i flew that and only 3 People were there in the ATR 72..I guess this weird planing or UDAN trap nailed 9Ws coffin.Coming back to Vistara,I like the airline and love how they are apt in planing the routes even withdarwing if it isnt workin for them.
Good Work Vistara !

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/chandig ... 779606.cms

CPS001

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:48 am

Air India announces 3x weekly Amritsar-Delhi-Toronto effective 27th September.

killswitch13

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 am

^^^ sardar civil aviation minister fulfilling his fantasies with taxpayers money

anshabhi

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:21 am

killswitch13 wrote:
^^^ sardar civil aviation minister fulfilling his fantasies with taxpayers money

Maybe but I would barely call it a fantasy. There's huge Indian diaspora in Canada.
Earlier one of the major options was 9W DEL-AMS-Canada (including one Vancouver flight on 9W metal).
AI is only tapping a huge market.

Yes. A market much larger than LAX or silicon valley

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:22 am

I dont know what AI is to these netas it seems to be like a personal cab for them.I mean do they have like trillions of dollars to just waste ? Like We have Air Canada already operating from YYZ and YVR to DELHI and this flight makes no sense cause its technically DEL-YYZ and Im assuming all pax frm ATQ or YYZ will have to get down at VIDP for immigration.

With all of this I dont see government being really serious of privatisation of AI for if they privatise it who will fly them for free.

Sad Really sad Also 23rd June is coming,I hope GOI at least gives tribute to those innocent souls,who we lost in 1985 to the hateful acts of CANADIAN TERRORISTS ,who were sadly not even recognized by their own Government by their then PM and Hope AI and GOI together remember them all.Sadly The accused roams free in Canada and I fear for the security of Our AI plane flying to and from Canada.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.moneyc ... 1.html/amp

dtw2hyd

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:02 am

killswitch13 wrote:

In case you missed the recent news, 235 Million of 1.37 Billion Indians gave him permission to spend.

binayak

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:36 am

anshabhi wrote:
killswitch13 wrote:

Maybe but I would barely call it a fantasy. There's huge Indian diaspora in Canada.
Earlier one of the major options was 9W DEL-AMS-Canada (including one Vancouver flight on 9W metal).
AI is only tapping a huge market.

Yes. A market much larger than LAX or silicon valley

9W flew to Toronto not Vancouver.
Well YYZ DEL is a large market to handle 2 daily flights and ATQ DEL YYZ under the tagline of same plane service will serve as a good marketing gimmick.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

edealinfo

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Bombay to London traffic increased by 23 percent in the last 5 years
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofi ... 779896.cms

dtw2hyd

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Did DGCA/AAI publish April '19 traffic data? Haven't seen any info. Interestingly high premium yielding airport is mum about April data and busy with tree saplings.

anshabhi

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:50 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Did DGCA/AAI publish April '19 traffic data? Haven't seen any info. Interestingly high premium yielding airport is mum about April data and busy with tree saplings.

http://dgca.nic.in/reports/Traffic_repo ... ep0419.pdf

dtw2hyd

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:13 pm

anshabhi wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

http://dgca.nic.in/reports/Traffic_repo ... ep0419.pdf

Thank you anshabhi. I remember seeing a lot more data like by the airport, domestic, international and even by city-pair in the past.

unrave

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:23 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

Know where to look and you'll get your answers. Hint: BLR continues to outperform HYD in most metrics

unrave

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 pm

killswitch13 wrote:

Hopefully AI is sold off soon and these taxpayer funded largesses come to an end.

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:36 pm

unrave wrote:
killswitch13 wrote:

Hopefully AI is sold off soon and these taxpayer funded largesses come to an end.

its really sad that AI babus are stayin in NYC,Toronto etc for free on tax payers money and even at places where AI doesnt operate in.This needs to come to an end..God knows who will buy AI..even if Heavenly miracle of privatisation does happen I just hope GOI doesnt come around to bail it out if it collapses or else this cycle will go on and on and it will be pretty upsetting for those who pay taxes and understand that on their money some Lazy Air India employee is flying along with his family and extended family to Male and Bangkok.

unrave

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 pm

RTI has revealed more than 203 employees of Air India under the sportsperson quota draw salaries but do not contribute anything to the airline

avier

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:56 pm

^^^It's high time AI is shutdown and not sold. It's fraud employees gala time will come to an end. In case of 9W, the owner was a fraud, and the poor hard working employees bore the brunt of the airline shutting down. Incase of AI, their employees are a bunch of fraudsters, and the airline run by a bunch of clowns clueless on how to run an airline.

Also their pilots come up with some interesting demands before AI sell-off.
https://m.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-news/clear-our-dues-before-selling-air-india-says-pilots-union/story-BoNjLNGAayudR3RpQEbfCJ.html

unrave

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:59 pm

avier wrote:
^^^It's high time AI is shutdown and not sold.

Our NRI overlords will go ballistic. For them the entire Indian aviation industry exists solely to indulge them with cheap tickets when they come visit us every year.

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:04 pm

unrave wrote:
avier wrote:

Our NRI overlords will go ballistic. For them the entire Indian aviation industry exists solely to indulge them with cheap tickets when they come visit us every year.

How On earth you stole words from my mouth lolz..My Uncle and his family will be the first ones going loco if AI shuts down and hate to admit my parents too ..Its like now AI has become something I wont call a liability but somethin more sort of an "ENTITY" that cant be just shut down but then you hate it being there for its a waste.

edealinfo

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:05 pm

killswitch13 wrote:

Every politician tries to maximize service to his or her constituency. And, rightly so....that’s why they get elected........” to bring home the bacon”. And, there is a market for the flight he introduced.

I also recommend that he allow a flight on Turkish Airlines from Amritsar to Istanbul. Sometime back, Turkish had requested that route and had even got a Sikh religious head to issue a letter supporting that flight. In exchange for this flight right, India should change the bilateral, so it is based on seats (which favors Indian airlines with narrow bodies) not frequency (which currently favors Turkey. Other than The Amritsar flight no other flight should be given to Turkey for now.

edealinfo

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:14 pm

CPS001 wrote:

Finally a route that makes sense. 9W withdrew from the market and ME3 carriers have restricted bilaterals to Canada. Finally many desis prefer to fly a desis airline because it treats their parents and children respectfully unlike some foreign carriers which consider them to be a pain in their backside.

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:19 pm

edealinfo wrote:
CPS001 wrote:

Finally a route that makes sense. 9W withdrew from the market and ME3 carriers have restricted bilaterals to Canada. Finally many desis prefer to fly a desis airline because it treats their parents and children respectfully unlike some foreign carriers which consider them to be a pain in their backside.

Agree with the last sentence..though I dont wanna go on a rant here about any airline but I have personally seen an Indian mid aged gentleman being mocked by a BA employee and seen indirect racism on UA,Air canada flights nothing new and nothing will change and thats one reason I feel great flying AI internationally especially with family cause the Cabin crew is not racist and most importantly when you land your self respect is intact.

avier

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:32 pm

A new lounge has opened at BOM's Terminal 1B, where the 3 major LCC's operate out of, called Oasis. Pretty reasonable rates too for access. Seems ideal for business travellers using LCC's and also the ones flying the "Business" cabin product of SpiceJet or GoAir.
https://m.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-news/terminal-1b-of-city-airport-gets-lounge-for-stopover-fliers/story-ZUSg8WUxA9mi8Jx4DI19PI.html

CaliguyNYC

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:22 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
unrave wrote:
avier wrote:

How On earth you stole words from my mouth lolz..My Uncle and his family will be the first ones going loco if AI shuts down and hate to admit my parents too ..Its like now AI has become something I wont call a liability but somethin more sort of an "ENTITY" that cant be just shut down but then you hate it being there for its a waste.

The previous comment was meant to attack / put down those of us who are not residing in India.

To the other poster - for the record, I am totally fine with every employee of AI being fired and all loss making routes of AI shut down. I think it would be dumb to just totally shut AI down - meaning you waste all the developed routes, infrastructure etc. How does that help Indian tax payers. Sell it to anyone you deem fit, debt free, and give them free rain to fix AI (fire people, change routes, change vendors, stop employee theft etc). Let them call it Vistara or Air Chennai for all I care. People keep interpreting someone saying why would you ever just waste developed infrastructure by shut down with routing for the airline (or being a fan boy). Delta bought Pan Am's EU network but no one says Pan Am was saved. LH bought Air Berlin's DUS hub but no one says Air Berlin was saved. SO what is up on the Indian threads??? My only point on delaying AI's privatization was because I felt India (and DEL) would be really hurt if both their long haul carrier shut down (or significantly downsize) in the same year. How would this be good for tourism, economy, business. But yeah the foreigner somehow takes a more sympathetic view on Indian aviation. How horrible. But hey you let's just shut down AI, Jet and double seats for EK, QR and TK. Indian airline INTL market share can drop to 25% and most of those jobs can go to foreigners. But hey small town India gets a foreign flight and cheap fares. This has never been about cheap fares for NRIs - many of us are alliance captive and pay premiums to fly our alliance, be it coach or business class. But that story doesn't work for the remarks here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos