tcfc424
Topic Author

Boeing Wing Issue?

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:37 am

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/natio ... 87ca059f84

Linked article basically states that Boeing has identified issues with 737 slat tracks on 21 aircraft and potentially 159 others, possibly including MAX aircraft which are not counted in the total.

The article is short on information and heavy on sensationalism, likely due to the MAX grounding, but things are starting to create a pretty negative situation for Boeing. I used to be a 'If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going" kind of person, but I'll be honest, the issues with the MAX, the accusations about shoddy workmanship on the 787, and now this have me a little concerned.

This is the first I've heard of this issue, and I am a very frequent visitor to this site, as well as a frequent flyer domestically. Is this an "inspection" issue, or is this something more?

PatrickZ80

Re: Boeing Wing Issue?

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:46 am

I can't read the article, i get "Access denied".

However I think it's a non-issue, nothing to be worried about. It's not exactly how it's supposed to be, but that doesn't make it unsafe.

thaiflyer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:51 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I can't read the article, i get "Access denied".

However I think it's a non-issue, nothing to be worried about. It's not exactly how it's supposed to be, but that doesn't make it unsafe.

Maybe not as the FAA is working on a directive (according a very reliable Dutch newspaper) that forces Boeing to inspect and repair the effected planes within 10 days.
Sorry only in Dutch. https://www.ad.nl/economie/nieuwe-tegen ... ~ad1bf0f8/

Raventech

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:54 am

tcfc424 wrote:
This is the first I've heard of this issue, and I am a very frequent visitor to this site, as well as a frequent flyer domestically. Is this an "inspection" issue, or is this something more?

If I were a betting man, I would say the majority of weird maintenance issues never get a peep here.

tcfc424 wrote:
The article is short on information and heavy on sensationalism, likely due to the MAX grounding, but things are starting to create a pretty negative situation for Boeing. I used to be a 'If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going" kind of person, but I'll be honest, the issues with the MAX, the accusations about shoddy workmanship on the 787, and now this have me a little concerned.

I wouldn't be concerned as the system is "working" as intended. We wish such a safety oriented industry could have 100% prefect results but real life does not allow that. System is working since as soon as an issue was found, they identified the suspect run and implemented a remedy.

Again if I were a betting man, if those planes weren't grounded then the issue is likely minor in nature (such as it is wearing at a higher than normal rate, projecting early replacement). Most aircraft will have something go wrong at some point and that's why these systems exist. Timing does stink for Boeing though.

lightsaber

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:55 am

While a big deal, it is manageable. Airbus had the wing corrosion on coastal flights.

One reason aviation is so safe it the forced double checking.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

TMccrury

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:12 pm

Here is an article from Fox news about it, again, not much information as to the actual problem. https://www.foxbusiness.com/industrials ... ax-scandal

kalvado

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:24 pm

Was mentioned in endless MAX-grounded thread already. My understanding that this is quality control and monitoring system at work: something undesired actually happened - but it was timely picked up, and will be properly addressed. Just another day in real world.
UPD: a link which works for me: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boei ... SKCN1T30RX

trpmb6

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:31 pm

It's a non-issue. Just standard quality control practices in place. Stuff like this happens more than you'd think and if it weren't for the increased scrutiny you wouldn't have heard anything about it nationally.

Honestly, just go look at the AD's issued each week. We were discussing the changes to PW engine overhauls (If I recall correctly due to increased stress corrosion in the compressor blades?) in a different thread. That's honestly a "bigger" issue than some part on the leading edge slats that probably didn't get the right anodize, or heat treat, or some other process that in all honesty would probably be fine, but due to the non-conformance they are obliged to report it.

All this does is expose the culture of safety that DOES exist. Not the opposite.

AA737-823

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Non-issue.
AD's happen twice a month.
Sometimes they include 737's. Sometimes they don't.
When you have a relatively small number of planes that MIGHT have had a slat track manufactured incorrectly, it does not amount to the gross negligence that the media is trying to paint here.
It'll get resolved with very little drama.
UNLIKE MCAS, which deserves all the drama.

strfyr51

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:49 pm

Raventech wrote:
tcfc424 wrote:

If I were a betting man, I would say the majority of weird maintenance issues never get a peep here.

tcfc424 wrote:

I wouldn't be concerned as the system is "working" as intended. We wish such a safety oriented industry could have 100% prefect results but real life does not allow that. System is working since as soon as an issue was found, they identified the suspect run and implemented a remedy.

Again if I were a betting man, if those planes weren't grounded then the issue is likely minor in nature (such as it is wearing at a higher than normal rate, projecting early replacement). Most aircraft will have something go wrong at some point and that's why these systems exist. Timing does stink for Boeing though.

If I were a betting man, I would say the majority of weird maintenance issues never get a peep here. I sgree with you. But then? Should they? AD notes come out almost Daily from the FAA. Some are related to MFG advisories others to actual problems. rarely do they come out and say IMMEDIATE ACTION! And neither does this.
the slat tracks will be monitored with inspections, and replaced asap.

Chrisba320

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:08 pm

It might be considered a “non-issue” by some but really, just put this thing out of its misery. What else is going to come out in the wash? How many more people have to be killed before this plane is grounded for good? But then what do I know. As much as I love Boeing this is atrocious.

kalvado

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:39 pm

Chrisba320 wrote:
It might be considered a “non-issue” by some but really, just put this thing out of its misery. What else is going to come out in the wash? How many more people have to be killed before this plane is grounded for good? But then what do I know. As much as I love Boeing this is atrocious.

1. You realize that old good NG is also affected?
2. did you ever have any recalls for your car? Some recalls are real nasty, some are "just do it during next maintenance". This is an in-between scenario, no need for drastic action and no need to sell that car ASAP.
3. Welcome to our imperfect world, you must be new on this planet?

BravoOne

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 pm

Chrisba320 wrote:

Again, way to much drama and innuendo with little factual information to back it up.

strfyr51

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Chrisba320 wrote:

Jeez! Boeing had One Glaring problem which really should not have Been a problem had Boeing put some thought into it. Once they fix and PROPERLY test that problem?
Then is won't BE a problem anymore! I can assure you? Boeing will NEVER make this mistake again..

JayinKitsap

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:37 pm

So Boeing caught and self reported an issue with the flap tracks, when it got to the FAA an AD was issued with a 10 day window to fix. Boeing is already shipping parts and being quite on it. But some articles read that the FAA caught this and the wings could fall off in a light breeze. This is a huge biggie, that is why Boeing shares are down 1.6% today, could be the end of the world.

Balerit

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Chrisba320 wrote:

Exactly and don't forget the cover up of the shoddy bear strap frames at the emergency exits and doors dating from the NG. Calling the slat problem a non issue is ludicrous considering that it is an essential flight control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaWdEtANi-0
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).

flytimbo77

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Certainly the last thing that Boeing needs right now. But this isn't the first time that quality control issues at Boeing have come to light. Long before the max crisis, I seem to recall some very serious concerns being raised by line workers at Renton, which suggested some supposedly 'precision parts' were being cut out of sheet material by a bloke with a jigsaw. The general impression I got from that was that there was a 'make to fit' culture at Boeing, with compromises, patches and stopgap measures being commonplace. It also suggested a lot of the parts being delivered for assembly did not fit properly, and were being cut to size on final assembly lines, rather than being sent back. Basically whatever it takes to get the aircraft out the door. They're obviously under a lot pressure, but I really can't help wondering if what we're seeing is the tip of the iceberg.

trpmb6

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:52 pm

For Pete's Sake! It's not even a Boeing issue! It's a supplier of a supplier issue!

aviatorcraig

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:47 pm

Balerit wrote:

Wow... just wow!

This documentry, even after large quantities of salt are taken due to the TV company and vested interests involved, appears to uncover an unholy alliance between manufacturer and regulator with no transparency. What a crock of poop!
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

nikeherc

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:24 am

I’ve just about quit this blog because of crap stories like this. This is the kind of thing that happens regularly. It is not a Boeing problem, it is a supplier problem. ADs are issued quite frequently. That’s what the system is there for. The sky is not falling and Boeing is not crap. Will we have the same outcry over the next Airbus AD?
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

kalvado

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:08 am

trpmb6 wrote:
For Pete's Sake! It's not even a Boeing issue! It's a supplier of a supplier issue!

Buck stops at Boeing. This is an issue with Boeing plane, and it is up to Boeing to do safety and quality control of components - and handle the issue when things don't work. They may deal with the supplier all they want - once making sure Boeing planes are not falling out of the sky

Aesma

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:02 am

It's an AD, it happens all the time, we all agree with that.

How many ADs need an element of a control surface to be changed, with a 10 days window ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos