Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

christao17
Topic Author

OA flights operated on A3 aircraft - what is the relationship?

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:28 pm

This week, I had my first experience flying Aegean Airlines (A3), which left me with a question. Maybe some of you on A.net will be able to help.

The flight had an Olympic Air (OA) flight number (not as a code share - OA was the operating flight number) and had OA flight attendants, but the aircraft was an Airbus A320 in A3's color scheme and registration number.

I know that A3 owns OA, but what is the relationship on between the two on what seems to be a large number of OA flights operated on A3 aircraft? OA only has prop aircraft in their fleet; the Airbus are A3's. Is it a wet-lease? Has A3 transferred the planes to OA but not repainted them?

I'm curious if anyone has the answer. Thanks in advance.
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

CALMSP

Re: OA flights operated on A3 aircraft - what is the relationship?

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Without fully knowing, I've always viewed it as a way for A3 to separate OA so that STAR Alliance members do not get any benefits. I was on an OA flight that was 100% operated, staffed, etc. by A3, but with STAR Gold I received no benefits as it was an "OA" flight.

Even OA's website lists only the prop planes and not the 319/320/321 that it is being used by A3.

a320fan

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:40 pm

The way it seemed to me when in Greece recently was that the majority if not all domestic flights operate with an OA flight number regardless of if it’s on the props or an Airbus.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Shanegill

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:49 pm

OA is owned by A3 . All domestic flights and some regional flights are marketed under the OA brand as has perhaps better regional recognition , while most international flights are marketed and operated as A3 flights .

xiaotung

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:33 pm

All Greek domestic flights are operated by OA now even if the aircraft is from A3. They are getting away with this with the term "wet lease" so that they do not have to honor Star Gold benefits, as OA is not part of *G. However when an OA aircraft is operating for A3 on some international flights it's considered an A3 flight and part of *A.

I am surprised that OA hasn't joined the Star Alliance connecting model as it appears they have integrated and joined the FFP of UA, AC, TK & MS. Looks like they have copied the model but do not want to join officially and pay for it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos