Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
spinkid
Topic Author
Posts: 1893
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:59 am

Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:11 pm

Spirit Airlines is starting service to/from Nashville, TN (BNA) to Baltimore, MD/Washington, DC (BWI), Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL), New Orleans, LA (MSY), Las Vegas, NV (LAS), Orlando, FL (MCO) and Tampa, FL (TPA).

Daily, beginning October 10th. Tampa begins in November.

See announcement link below.

http://ir.spirit.com/file/Index?KeyFile=398175218
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2788
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Cool. Seems to follow the typical 4-6 daily city launch by Spirit of late.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:20 pm

Great win for BNA. Nashville sure is a hot market.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
UALFAson
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:41 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:41 pm

So it is finally happening. The next obvious question is where will their ticket counter go and what gates will they use?
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:46 pm

UALFAson wrote:
So it is finally happening. The next obvious question is where will their ticket counter go and what gates will they use?


I think they'll end up taking a slice from AA's counter. They'll either share B9 with Contour, or A1 with Air Canada.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1571
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:52 pm

This addition puts MSY at 21 destinations flown by NK. ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, ORD, CLE, CMH, DFW, DTW, FLL, IAH, LAS, LAX, MSP, BNA, MCO, EWR, PHL, RDU, and TPA.
 
Worldair1
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:00 pm

Looking at UA flights this Sept. from IAD - BNA, two of the direct flights have been upgraded to main line from RJ's. Can't seem to find where that has ever happened from IAD in the airports history. Nashville is really growing.
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 5162
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:18 pm

Worldair1 wrote:
Looking at UA flights this Sept. from IAD - BNA, two of the direct flights have been upgraded to main line from RJ's. Can't seem to find where that has ever happened from IAD in the airports history. Nashville is really growing.


This happened at CMH and CLE as well. I think the explanation I saw was that they're trying to make EWR into a primarily O/D airport and route connections through IAD.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2371
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:33 pm

That's suspicious. Those are the same cities SY flew to from BNA and didn't return to this winter
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
SWADawg
Posts: 566
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:00 pm

Throwing down with WN on all of these routes.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines
 
tkoenig95
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:11 pm

Nice for BNA! NK is running hot this year.
 
OccupiedLav
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:40 pm

My guess is a few of these additions won't last. Nashville is apparently a hot destination right now (still can't figure out why), but I'm not sure it can support all these routes in the long run, especially daily.
 
FLYKTPA
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:08 pm

OccupiedLav wrote:
My guess is a few of these additions won't last. Nashville is apparently a hot destination right now (still can't figure out why), but I'm not sure it can support all these routes in the long run, especially daily.


All the routes are only 1x daily on a 320. It’s not much to fill. Why wouldn’t BNA be able to support them?
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport
 
777Mech
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:22 pm

Shot across the bow right at WN.
 
tphuang
Posts: 5068
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:46 pm

It's interesting with this new leadership at NK, they are really making it obvious that they are taking on WN.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 7779
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:56 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
OccupiedLav wrote:
My guess is a few of these additions won't last. Nashville is apparently a hot destination right now (still can't figure out why), but I'm not sure it can support all these routes in the long run, especially daily.


All the routes are only 1x daily on a 320. It’s not much to fill. Why wouldn’t BNA be able to support them?


LAS and MCO are great O&D markets that can absorb whatever low-cost flights get thrown at them. FLL can do well seasonally; maybe TPA (which gets less than half the O&D of MCO or LAS). BWI less so - unless low-cost flyers accept BWI as a proxy for all WAS. MSY gives me little confidence.
 
avi8
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:36 am

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:03 pm

tphuang wrote:
It's interesting with this new leadership at NK, they are really making it obvious that they are taking on WN.

I don’t think they are going after WN (by that I mean personally after them). WN’s business model is p2p, which is why almost any route that NK announces will be competing with WN.
avi8
 
FLYKTPA
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:54 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
OccupiedLav wrote:
My guess is a few of these additions won't last. Nashville is apparently a hot destination right now (still can't figure out why), but I'm not sure it can support all these routes in the long run, especially daily.


All the routes are only 1x daily on a 320. It’s not much to fill. Why wouldn’t BNA be able to support them?


LAS and MCO are great O&D markets that can absorb whatever low-cost flights get thrown at them. FLL can do well seasonally; maybe TPA (which gets less than half the O&D of MCO or LAS). BWI less so - unless low-cost flyers accept BWI as a proxy for all WAS. MSY gives me little confidence.


TPA will be fine. TPA-BNA is a large market (gets up to 350 PDEW) and is a WN monopoly. It's dying to be stimulated by daily ULCC service.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:14 pm

OccupiedLav wrote:
My guess is a few of these additions won't last. Nashville is apparently a hot destination right now (still can't figure out why), but I'm not sure it can support all these routes in the long run, especially daily.


"I agree that Nashville is a hot destination and has been for at least 7 years. Reasons: Lower Broadway Honk Tonks/Country Music/Music City Place: Tourism/Conventions. Continued growth with Healthcare Companies (HCA, Phillips among others); Business Services Growth: E&Y, Amazon. HQ growth: Bridgestone. Population growth @300k in 9 years.

Do agree that BNA will not be able to support all those new routes...unless Jet A drops below $1. The ULCC's attract the Greyhound crowd I suppose. The 2019's version of the WN Effect (back in the day)
 
Lexy
Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:42 pm

The haters love to come out of the wood work. Come visit and see all of the development happening. You’ll see why it’s one of the hottest in the country.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA
 
OccupiedLav
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Lexy wrote:
The haters love to come out of the wood work. Come visit and see all of the development happening. You’ll see why it’s one of the hottest in the country.


Been to Nashville several times (5+). I don't think it's what everyone makes it up to be. Sure, it's growing right now, but that growth will likely flatten out once people realize it's not that great.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:52 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
OccupiedLav wrote:
Lexy wrote:
The haters love to come out of the wood work. Come visit and see all of the development happening. You’ll see why it’s one of the hottest in the country.


Been to Nashville several times (5+). I don't think it's what everyone makes it up to be. Sure, it's growing right now, but that growth will likely flatten out once people realize it's not that great.


LAS, MCO, and LAX aren’t that great either.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
santi319
Posts: 1004
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:53 pm

FLL prints money for NK, after the runway construction finishes I can see them adding more flights. Maybe even the missing points in LatAm and Caribbean (UIO, MEX, BZE, BEL, MAO, BGI, POS, GEO)
 
micstatic
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 10:07 pm

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:21 pm

OccupiedLav wrote:
Lexy wrote:
The haters love to come out of the wood work. Come visit and see all of the development happening. You’ll see why it’s one of the hottest in the country.


Been to Nashville several times (5+). I don't think it's what everyone makes it up to be. Sure, it's growing right now, but that growth will likely flatten out once people realize it's not that great.



I think nashville is great. Never lived there, but love visiting. Can imagine it would also be a great place to live and work. It has a lot of the things going for it that places like Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte have. Affordable, fairly reasonable cost of living, good weather.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3723
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:39 pm

avi8 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
It's interesting with this new leadership at NK, they are really making it obvious that they are taking on WN.

I don’t think they are going after WN (by that I mean personally after them). WN’s business model is p2p, which is why almost any route that NK announces will be competing with WN.


Actually, NK has made a strategy of going after WN. WN does not have basic economy so it has trouble appropriately responding to NK's product.
 
Lexy
Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Spirit announces BNA to BWI, FLL, MSY, LAS, MCO, TPA

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:43 pm

OccupiedLav wrote:
Lexy wrote:
The haters love to come out of the wood work. Come visit and see all of the development happening. You’ll see why it’s one of the hottest in the country.


Been to Nashville several times (5+). I don't think it's what everyone makes it up to be. Sure, it's growing right now, but that growth will likely flatten out once people realize it's not that great.


Explain? It’s all that or the growth would’ve stopped a long time ago.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos