Midwestindy
Topic Author

Delta transitions BOS to Hub status, names SJC, BNA, and AUS as new focus cities

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:12 pm

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... th-458669/

Amy Martin, managing director of domestic network planning for Delta spoke at the Jumpstart conference, and she revealed a few details(some of which were already known) including:

"Delta has announced eight new markets from Boston to-date this year, including Chicago, Lisbon and Washington National, that combined will buoy its schedule at Logan to up to 150 peak day flights"

"The airline's capacity in Boston is scheduled to increase 14.5% year-over-year in 2019, compared to a roughly 4% increase systemwide"

"Boston will act as a secondary transatlantic gateway for Delta"

"As we're getting to kind of our maximum capacity at [New York] JFK, using Boston as a secondary transatlantic gateway makes a lot of sense"

"Delta is also reclassifying some of its smaller cities as focus cities. Nashville and San Jose, California, have joined its list of domestic focus operations that also includes Austin, Cincinnati and Raleigh/Durham"

"The carrier plans to grow capacity by nearly 10% in Nashville and 23.1% in San Jose this year"

"Delta wants to be the premier network carrier in all these markets," Ailevon Pacific managing director Brad DiFiore tells FlightGlobal at JumpStart.

All of this I believed was worth its own thread considering the ramifications it could have on the broader US network. Any thoughts on what this means across the board?
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019

USAIRWAYS321

Re: Delta transitions BOS to Hub status, names SJC, BNA, and AUS as new focus cities

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Seattle, Boston, Austin, Raleigh, Nashville... Delta is clearly placing a large emphasis on capturing the younger tech crowd and the cities they are helping to grow.

compensateme

Re: Delta transitions BOS to Hub status, names SJC, BNA, and AUS as new focus cities

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
"Delta is also reclassifying some of its smaller cities as focus cities. Nashville and San Jose, California, have joined its list of domestic focus operations that also includes Austin, Cincinnati and Raleigh/Durham"

Much ado about nothing...

I'm curious as to DL's definition of "focus city." It appears DL may be labeling markets its aggressively adding capacity (e.g. SJC) as focus cities, even though that capacity is coming from its hubs. Most of us view "focus cities" as markets with P2P service (e.g. CVG). Notice FG mentions AUS was already a focus city... in any event, let the wild, baseless a.net posts begin. I'll start:

I can see DL adding the following routes from SJC:
AUS (320), DEN (738), DFW (220), BOS (757), ORD (738), SAN (E75), PDX (E75) and HNL (757).
We don’t care what your next flight is.

SANFan

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:40 pm

I find SJC to be an interesting story. AS has a focus operation there so here we go again - AS vs. DL in the Bay Area intensifies. And of course WN is also growing SJC big-time lately. Apparently SJC is adding 6 new gates currently so I will be watching to see how those are assigned (or utilized) between the cx.

I'll be very curious to see if the traffic is really there for 3 cx' large operations. And will DL entertain some PDX-like int'l routes from SJC?

I will be keeping an eye on this situation.

bb

pitbosflyer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:40 pm

The BOS announcement isn't really a surprise. Just a classification difference. They were already connecting TATL traffic thru BOS and have been working on remodeling the lounges there. Its not like they are making any new route announcements. They were flying/launching all these destinations already.

indygs

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:41 pm

Interesting. Kinda curious IND is not mentioned given that they've invested heavily with the CDG route and others, but to the point made earlier, would love to see what 'focus city' actually means.

stl07

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:46 pm

What happened to ind
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

southwest1675

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:50 pm

BNA will probably have service to CDG or AMS soon. The news for them to add an additional 10,000 square feet to the current SkyClub came out of nowhere.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

pitbosflyer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:54 pm

indygs wrote:
Interesting. Kinda curious IND is not mentioned given that they've invested heavily with the CDG route and others, but to the point made earlier, would love to see what 'focus city' actually means.

Hopefully IND isn't about to get the PIT treatment from DL.

southwest1675

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:55 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
indygs wrote:

What does that consist of? Losing the Paris flight?
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

pitbosflyer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:58 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:
indygs wrote:

Yeah DL unceremoniously cut the PIT-CDG flight recently. After recently up-gauging it as well.

flyPIT

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:13 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
indygs wrote:

The PIT-CDG flight was just discussed in the PIT thread, but other than that I think DL has been good to PIT. Adding PIT-BOS which is now 5x daily, increasing LGA twice, adding RDU, adding SLC, upgauging CUN. If only they add PIT-LAX.

As for IND, the only mention I’ve seen of it becoming a focus city is in the A.net IND thread. Extravagant rumors such as a nonstop to Asia by the end of 2018, it was one of 3 finalists for Amazon’s HQ2, and was on the verge of becoming a DL focus city. None of which obviously was true so I don’t put much stock in the DL IND focus city rumor. That’s not to say it can’t happen in the future.
FLYi

Fargo

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:14 pm

Is BNA and SJC realistically going to see more p2p flying as a result of this? It’s not a true focus city if it only has hub and focus city flying.

Actually, does SJC even have a club?
Last edited by Fargo on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klm617

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:15 pm

One can only guess where the capacity reduction is coming from to fuel the 14% growth at BOS when system wide the growth is only 4%
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

KMCOFlyer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 pm

How is SJC supposed to be a “focus city” when they don’t even have a SkyClub or any plans for one?

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Insert lyrics to the song "I'm Being Eaten by a Boa Constrictor" - sung in chorus by AS, B6, etc.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

theasianguy

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Congratulations to Delta for transitioning to a stronger P2P carrier in the cities with the hottest economies in the US recently. It's amazing to track Delta's route network realignment since the NW merger. Delta's hubs then were ATL, DTW, MSP, CVG, SLC, JFK, MEM, NRT, AMS. Since then, DL seems to have grown far more than they have cut. New hubs in LGA, LAX, SEA, BOS, new focus cities in RDU, AUS, SJC, BNA. CVG has been downgraded to focus city, while MEM and NRT have been cut.

I am wondering which hubs will see reductions to fuel this growth?
Last edited by theasianguy on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatibosgru

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:38 pm

Terminal A def needs CBP for Delta to fully utilize BOS as a secondary transatlantic hub
@DadCelo

DeltaRules

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:

Yeah DL unceremoniously cut the PIT-CDG flight recently. After recently up-gauging it as well.

It seemed like PIT-CDG went because the airport authority either a) thought they could support four TATL flights and flew too close to the Sun in doing so or b) added PIT-LHR realizing they might lose CDG and that losing DL but gaining BA would be a net gain.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

MIflyer12

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:50 pm

compensateme wrote:
AUS (320), DEN (738), DFW (220), BOS (757), ORD (738), SAN (E75), PDX (E75) and HNL (757).

SJC-ORD isn't coming any time soon. DL doesn't even fly LAX-ORD. I don't think they'll try Hawaii from SJC, in the near-term, either. There's a LOT of Bay Area-Hawaii capacity.

airzona11

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:51 pm

DL is very good with controlling the narrative around their operations, this is nothing but good publicity. As other posters above noted, SJC/BNA/AUS are boom towns of affluent business travelers.

klm617 wrote:
One can only guess where the capacity reduction is coming from to fuel the 14% growth at BOS when system wide the growth is only 4%

Doesn't have to come from within DL.

jetlanta

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:58 pm

klm617 wrote:

Math doesn't work that way. 4% system growth is a lot more total ASMs than 14% BOS growth.

Also, she specifically called out DTW as a growth market to the West for Delta moving forward.

Midwestindy
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:00 pm

indygs wrote:

stl07 wrote:
What happened to ind

pitbosflyer wrote:
indygs wrote:

"Delta wants to be the premier network carrier in all these markets"

DL is already the largest network carrier in IND, and soon to be largest carrier in IND(at least for a few months). The DL SVP of Network planning came to IND and said the same thing last year in IND that Amy Martin said today. http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/st ... ice-begins

Here is how they have grown in the past year:
Mar +14.6%
Feb +10.7%
Jan +13.3%
DEC +11.5%
NOV +15.2%
OCT +11.3%
SEP +14.8%
AUG +19.5%
JUL +14.9%
JUN +13.1%

They control 11 gates, offer service to 15 destinations, and recently expanded the CDG route. I think IND is quite safe guys....notice how MCO and LAS aren't mentioned as focus cities yet both have a growing DL network and are DL's largest non-hub stations.

flyPIT wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:
indygs wrote:

The PIT-CDG flight was just discussed in the PIT thread, but other than that I think DL has been good to PIT. Adding PIT-BOS which is now 5x daily, increasing LGA twice, adding RDU, adding SLC, upgauging CUN. If only they add PIT-LAX.

As for IND, the only mention I’ve seen of it becoming a focus city is in the A.net IND thread. Extravagant rumors such as a nonstop to Asia by the end of 2018, it was one of 3 finalists for Amazon’s HQ2, and was on the verge of becoming a DL focus city. None of which obviously was true so I don’t put much stock in the DL IND focus city rumor. That’s not to say it can’t happen in the future.

:lol:

You have been holding that in a while haven't you :duck:

I don't know what to tell you, IND-Asia wasn't a rumor, the Indiana Secretary of Commerce went on TV and said it: http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/st ... l-nonstops

The last two of the rumors have not been proven wrong, especially Amazon, which is in no way related to this discussion.
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019

psa1011

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:11 pm

I'm also confused with SJC. If anything, wouldn't SFO be considered more important as it has a nice club and more flights?

Gulfstream500

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:13 pm

I’ll call SJC/AUS/BNA focus cities when they have as many flights to hubs as they do to focus cities/non-hubs.

Here are the non-hub routes out of each:

SJC: Las Vegas (yep. That’s it, and LAS-the non-focus city- has almost twice as many passengers per year).

AUS: Cincinnati (still a focus city), Raleigh-Durham (also still a focus city).

BNA: Orlando (seasonal), Cancun (seasonal), Raleigh-Durham (focus city).

Let’s compare to LAS: SJC, SAN, SNA, LGB, CVG
(Not to mention that LAS has twice as much DL traffic as the “focus cities”)

Oh, did I mention: none of the new focus cities have flights to each other!
What's the deal with airplane food?

Frontier Airlines: Spirit of the west

knope2001

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:16 pm

Anybody else catch the wording (bold emphasis added is my own)

Midwestindy wrote:

By that wording Austin was already on the list of focus cities – only BNA and SJC are new today.

I guess so far it’s gotten AUS a beautiful new club but not much else. And other than the crunch of originators in the morning there’s actually a whole bunch of broad gaps during the day which would allow Delta to add flights now before they get any new capacity.

To me this is more about Delta planting their flag in some high-growth airports which Southwest dominates in hopes of becoming the network carrier of choice. Don’t get me wrong, I have no doubt there will be flights added at AUS, BNA and SJC over time. But nobody knows if a couple years from now Austin will be at 38/day or 98/day. Geography, competition, the economy, fuel prices all play a factor in that outcome. Same is true for SJC and BNA. In none of these cities will Southwest cede ground willingly, and what makes these cities a shiny object in the eyes of Delta is making it just as shiny to the planners sitting in Chicago and Fort Worth. It’s worth remembering than we only have three big network carriers left and so it doesn’t take any special effort to hit 25-30 flights anymore, and much above that people start drooling over focus city status.

Again, I’m certainly not saying nothing of substance will happen in these cities. Not by a long shot. But I don’t know that you can assume BNA, SJC nor AUS for that matter will look like Raleigh or Boston in the next few years. Different markets, different competitive landscape, different geography.

One prediction I can make – some of the post we’re likely to see on this general topic will probably range toward the insufferable end of the spectrum.  :-)

pnwpdx

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:23 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/delta-upgrades-boston-to-hub-status-on-strong-growth-458669/

Amy Martin, managing director of domestic network planning for Delta spoke at the Jumpstart conference, and she revealed a few details(some of which were already known) including:

"Delta has announced eight new markets from Boston to-date this year, including Chicago, Lisbon and Washington National, that combined will buoy its schedule at Logan to up to 150 peak day flights"

"The airline's capacity in Boston is scheduled to increase 14.5% year-over-year in 2019, compared to a roughly 4% increase systemwide"

"Boston will act as a secondary transatlantic gateway for Delta"

"As we're getting to kind of our maximum capacity at [New York] JFK, using Boston as a secondary transatlantic gateway makes a lot of sense"

"The carrier plans to grow capacity by nearly 10% in Nashville and 23.1% in San Jose this year"

"Delta wants to be the premier network carrier in all these markets," Ailevon Pacific managing director Brad DiFiore tells FlightGlobal at JumpStart.

All of this I believed was worth its own thread considering the ramifications it could have on the broader US network. Any thoughts on what this means across the board?

Very interesting. With Boston being their secondary transatlantic hub....maybe PDX can be their secondary transpacific. I know...I know... dreaming over here, because they have LAX. But honestly, Delta has three international flights during the summer out of PDX and could be a focus city for them also. And I think Delta is on the verge of it, but refuse to grow PDX aggressively, but organically.
Next Flight:
PDX-LAX-DFW-SLC-PDX on DL

Bobloblaw

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:29 pm

I think DL is #4 in AUS. So just tell yourself you can delta

zakuivcustom

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:44 pm

SJC, BNA, plus the existing RDU...so DL is trying to pull off what AA did around 20 years ago? The only addition would be AUS.

Otherwise, IIRC another poster already mentioned the upgrade of BNA and SJC to “focus cities” awhile back, so this just make it official official.

Sydscott

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:45 pm

Based on todays schedule I count 28 daily services at SJC of which 15 are operated by regional carriers vs 46 daily services on AS of which 21 are operated by regional carriers. Given both WN and AS have publicly said they want more gates at SJC the amount of gate space there will be for DL to expand in any meaningful way to catch up with the 2 market leaders is very limited. So they will be relying on swapping in larger aircraft for their capacity growth like they are doing with SJC-SEA this year. So when they say that SJC is a focus city I interpret that as merely growing capacity at these places in excess of system wide capacity.

aemoreira1981

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Because JFK is slot restricted, I’d be surprised if all of the thinner JFK routes didn’t move to BOS, with BOS-JFK moving to all mainline. This is a case of: we love NY but it’s crowded. This is similar to UA at EWR (except gate constraints), where that’s becoming increasingly mainline.

ERJ170

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:59 pm

And no new news for RDU... oh well, maybe another day. And how many times does this make BOS a hub for DL?
Aiming High and going far..

jagraham

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:59 pm

compensateme wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Much ado about nothing...

I'm curious as to DL's definition of "focus city." It appears DL may be labeling markets its aggressively adding capacity (e.g. SJC) as focus cities, even though that capacity is coming from its hubs. Most of us view "focus cities" as markets with P2P service (e.g. CVG). Notice FG mentions AUS was already a focus city... in any event, let the wild, baseless a.net posts begin. I'll start:

DL views focus cities as having frequent service to most hubs. P2P doesn't factor into Delta calculations.

BOS being a hub is more fascinating, as they have very few spokes now. Gateway would be a better fit for what Boston is; but perhaps spokes in the Northeast are planned . .

jagraham

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:03 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Because JFK is slot restricted, I’d be surprised if all of the thinner JFK routes didn’t move to BOS, with BOS-JFK moving to all mainline. This is a case of: we love NY but it’s crowded. This is similar to UA at EWR (except gate constraints), where that’s becoming increasingly mainline.

DL can't move all the thinner routes to BOS until the TATL stuff at BOS is bulked up some. Until then, Northeast cities with significant corporate or university presence will have at least 2 flights to JFK to connect to and from international flights. But I can see DL shifting the small stuff away from JFK, especially if the BOM nonstop works well - they will need the slots for more international flying.

flyPIT

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:15 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:

:lol:

You have been holding that in a while haven't you :duck:

I don't know what to tell you, IND-Asia wasn't a rumor, the Indiana Secretary of Commerce went on TV and said it: http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/st ... l-nonstops

The last two of the rumors have not been proven wrong, especially Amazon, which is in no way related to this discussion.

I just remember those specific topics and thinking to myself "Yeah....no." I'm not sure what you mean by the last two rumors not being proven wrong? IND is not a DL focus city as of yet (hopefully that changes down the road), and Amazon decided on DC, NYC (since recinded), and BNA. But you are right, this is the wrong thread. Perhaps rumor was the wrong word, but "wishful thinking" or whatever you want to call it is typical for people such as a state's Commerce Secretary. They have their faults but one thing I do like about PIT's management is for the most part they keep their mouth shut as evidenced by last year's surprise BA announcement.
FLYi

ucdtim17

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:24 pm

DL is over 5 (!) times bigger at SFO than at SJC, but SJC is the focus city?

WkndWanderer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:30 pm

The SJC piece is a bit of a head scratcher and the quote from the actual article doesn't clear much up. "The carrier plans to grow capacity by ...23.1% in San Jose this year, schedule show." So this growth is already reflected in their schedule? Has any new service been announced in their schedule, or is this all from increased frequencies/gauge to their hubs? LAS is their only non-hub flight. Seems more like a marketing exercise if you don't have a network from SJC to compete with WN or AS and are really just making it a spoke with extra seats to your existing hubs.

klm617

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:35 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
DL is over 5 (!) times bigger at SFO than at SJC, but SJC is the focus city?

YUP just the Delta propaganda machine ad it again. GRR comes pretty close to the same capacity as AUS and SJC but yet it's not a focus city
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:37 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:
The SJC piece is a bit of a head scratcher and the quote from the actual article doesn't clear much up. "The carrier plans to grow capacity by ...23.1% in San Jose this year, schedule show." So this growth is already reflected in their schedule? Has any new service been announced in their schedule, or is this all from increased frequencies/gauge to their hubs? LAS is their only non-hub flight. Seems more like a marketing exercise if you don't have a network from SJC to compete with WN or AS and are really just making it a spoke with extra seats to your existing hubs.

I think the writing is on the wall for SEA as I think Delta is going to develope SJC into it's Western hub to Asia so it can better compete with UA at SFO since it can't grow anymore in SEA.

southwest1675

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:43 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
SJC, BNA, plus the existing RDU...so DL is trying to pull off what AA did around 20 years ago? The only addition would be AUS.

Otherwise, IIRC another poster already mentioned the upgrade of BNA and SJC to “focus cities” awhile back, so this just make it official official.

Bob Crandall approves.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

freakyrat

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:47 pm

For those who brought up IND, Delta isn't going anywhere. Reference other Indiana airports, DL has an open RFP/RFQ for a SBN-JFK roundtrip and has for close to 5 years now. This flight was specifically designed to connect TATL passengers. United used to fly a daily ERJ flight to EWR and it did quite well however they decided to shift connecting CRJ/ERJ flying to IAD due to congestion and the EWR flight is now seasonal. While United had the flight they were connecting a lot of passengers to BOS. It could make sense for DL to shift the RFP/RFQ to BOS if they shift TATL flying from JFK to BOS.

HVNandrew

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:48 pm

As others have said, this appears to be more marketing than operationally related, but it's interested to see where DL is looking to direct its focus (no pun intended). The outlier does seem to be SJC. Given how DL has expanded regionally at LAS (to California) and even their limited long-haul out of the airport (to HNL and AMS a few weeks out of the year), I figured they would be the next airport to receive some sort of special designation. DL really should open a club there.

gatibosgru wrote:
Terminal A def needs CBP for Delta to fully utilize BOS as a secondary transatlantic hub

I have wondered quite a bit about this especially as DL has ramped up international flying/connections through BOS. Is connecting in BOS a pain with having to switch terminals? Logistically is it difficult to ferry the planes over from E to A?

pitbosflyer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:58 pm

HVNandrew wrote:
As others have said, this appears to be more marketing than operationally related, but it's interested to see where DL is looking to direct its focus (no pun intended). The outlier does seem to be SJC. Given how DL has expanded regionally at LAS (to California) and even their limited long-haul out of the airport (to HNL and AMS a few weeks out of the year), I figured they would be the next airport to receive some sort of special designation. DL really should open a club there.

gatibosgru wrote:

I have wondered quite a bit about this especially as DL has ramped up international flying/connections through BOS. Is connecting in BOS a pain with having to switch terminals? Logistically is it difficult to ferry the planes over from E to A?

DLs international departures leave from Terminal A. So the connection to Europe is easy on the outbound. As far as the walk from E to A after you clear customs on the return home. It takes 5-10 minutes, so nothing crazy. In the near future I don't expect Terminal A to gain CBP. Massport seems to be all in with the idea of their Terminal E expansion to handle any additional international demand. Plus they are planning a people mover to connect the terminals.

luckyone

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:00 am

HVNandrew wrote:

gatibosgru wrote:

It is not that logistically challenging to connect in Boston with the need to change terminals. There are frequent buses, it’s a short ride, and one needs to re-clear security anyway.

AirFiero

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:44 am

SANFan wrote:
I find SJC to be an interesting story. AS has a focus operation there so here we go again - AS vs. DL in the Bay Area intensifies. And of course WN is also growing SJC big-time lately. Apparently SJC is adding 6 new gates currently so I will be watching to see how those are assigned (or utilized) between the cx.

I'll be very curious to see if the traffic is really there for 3 cx' large operations. And will DL entertain some PDX-like int'l routes from SJC?

I will be keeping an eye on this situation.

bb

Indeed, as one guy said this is a bit of a head scratcher. My first reaction (being an SJC fanboy) was “HOLY S***!”. Then reality sunk in. They are going up against AS, WN and AA? It will be really interesting to see how this plays out. I’m not sure what kind of market niche they think they are going to carve out there, unless they are going to do some point to point to some markets that nobody is already serving.

There is a club there, but it isn’t airline specific. I think it’s called “Club SJC”, a private membership kind of thing (think fees to use).

compensateme

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:00 am

The reason DL named SJC a focus city is likely HKG. DL has struggled serving HKG in the past, and Northern California is the largest domestic market to HKG. I bet DL will announce JFK-SJC-HKG service soon.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

DL747400

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:36 am

gatibosgru wrote:

Ha! Tell that to Massport!
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

N292UX

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:44 am

I wonder if DL will try to link all of their focus cities up to each other. If that's the case, we'd be seeing CVG-BNA resume, plus the launch of CVG-SJC. We'd also see RDU/AUS/BNA-SJC.

A few other routes I can see:
IND-AUS/BNA
SJC-DEN
PDX-AUS/SJC
DCA-BNA? They'd have to cut a frequency from another route or get slots, though.
AUS/RDU-LAS
BNA-BDL
BNA-FLL/RSW
BNA-MCO
SJC-SAN
SJC-PHX
SJC-HNL
SJC-AMS? Maybe wishful thinking
BNA-CDG or AMS
AUS-AMS
BNA-TPA

adamh8297

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:53 am

klm617 wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

But again the cost of living in Michigan is way cheaper than in Boston giving Detroiters more disposable income for vacations not to mention the difference between 9 and 14 is not that great. Even at 9 Detroit is a better bet with almost no competition where Delta has to fight for market share out of Boston. I get what they are trying to do but why not add a route here and there out of a hub that has done well for them. I think for the loyalty Detroit has shown NW/DL we derserve a little more than single diget growth.

BOS had 1.7 million more passengers to Western Europe in 2011 than DTW.

I wonder how they scrounged up the disposable income for those trips!!!

Source: Brookings 2011 report.

That data is 8 years old LOL Whast were there ampout of seats in each market per international traveler. What were the actual numbers

O+D
BOS 2.26 million
DTW 535K (slightly bigger than BOS-LHR just an FYI)

I approximated using DOT T-100 (lots of 1-offs to filter and I don't have all day) for Western Europe since neither airport had flights to Eastern Europe.
2.8 million seats to BOS
1.2 million seats to DTW

"Maybe DTW was overserved that year?" I could say something ignorant like that but its clear its a hub.

Between 2003 and 2011 BOS went up 20% in international O+D and DTW went down 0.1%. The real "LOL" would be if Brookings magically made a 2018 report. I'm sure the O+D gap is much wider nowadays with DY/DI, TP, LEVEL, increased FI. You wouldn't like the results.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

B1168

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:16 am

N292UX wrote:
I wonder if DL will try to link all of their focus cities up to each other. If that's the case, we'd be seeing CVG-BNA resume, plus the launch of CVG-SJC. We'd also see RDU/AUS/BNA-SJC.

A few other routes I can see:
IND-AUS/BNA
SJC-DEN
PDX-AUS/SJC
DCA-BNA? They'd have to cut a frequency from another route or get slots, though.
AUS/RDU-LAS
BNA-BDL
BNA-FLL/RSW
BNA-MCO
SJC-SAN
SJC-PHX
SJC-HNL
SJC-AMS? Maybe wishful thinking
BNA-CDG or AMS
AUS-AMS
BNA-TPA

One question. Since AUS-CDG is unserved, is there any compelling evidence that AUS-AMS would yield more than CDG? It is fairly counterintuitive to fly to a smaller city wit similar connectivity, at least for me.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos