AirFiero

Re: Delta transitions BOS to Hub status, names SJC, BNA, and AUS as new focus cities

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:26 am

N292UX wrote:
cessna2 wrote:
N292UX wrote:
Star Alliance :D

Actually it’s SkyTeam...

I was joking there, DL's obviously in SkyTeam. UA's in Star Alliance.

No problem :)

But I looked it up, because otherwise it irritates people. :roll:

AirFiero

Re: Delta transitions BOS to Hub status, names SJC, BNA, and AUS as new focus cities

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:31 am

flySFO wrote:
SJC opened a new interim facility with 6 gates to the south of Terminal B last week. Southwest will now operate out of the southern 14 gates in Terminal B and Alaska will consolidate into the rest of Terminal B. The news article I read specifically called out the effect this will have on other airlines in Terminal A giving them more room to expand, "including Delta who recently named SJC a focus city".

I believe that makes 36 gates, although gate 36 won’t be done until November.

With all the entrenched competition, it seems remarkable that DL wants to jump in. Either they see opportunities for further growth at SJC, or they are taking a big gamble.

RWA380

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:11 am

kwbl wrote:
Seems like with Delta's definition of focus city, PDX should qualify. They have anywhere from 30-40 daily flights (depending on the season), connections to two major international markets year-round with a 3rd daily seasonal (LHR which is non-hub) and most flights to MSP, ATL, DTW, JFK are on 739s. They also will be switching the NRT flight to the highly coveted HND and upguaging the equipment.

I read that also, PDX has been a bit of an oddball for DL ever since the Asia hub days, even then it was an oddball hubbing it's entire Pacific fleet here & offering numerous n/s connecting flights domestically. DL still offers seasonal flights to Hawaii as well. It seems DL will not designate PDX as a focus city yet, but their definitions they should.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

BoeingGuy

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:57 am

RWA380 wrote:
kwbl wrote:
Seems like with Delta's definition of focus city, PDX should qualify. They have anywhere from 30-40 daily flights (depending on the season), connections to two major international markets year-round with a 3rd daily seasonal (LHR which is non-hub) and most flights to MSP, ATL, DTW, JFK are on 739s. They also will be switching the NRT flight to the highly coveted HND and upguaging the equipment.

I read that also, PDX has been a bit of an oddball for DL ever since the Asia hub days, even then it was an oddball hubbing it's entire Pacific fleet here & offering numerous n/s connecting flights domestically. DL still offers seasonal flights to Hawaii as well. It seems DL will not designate PDX as a focus city yet, but their definitions they should.

I agree with that. How many other DL non-focus cities have non-stops to NRT/HND, AMS, and LHR? Seems odd to call SJC a focus city, but not PDX.

AirFiero

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:09 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
kwbl wrote:

I agree with that. How many other DL non-focus cities have non-stops to NRT/HND, AMS, and LHR? Seems odd to call SJC a focus city, but not PDX.

Haven’t we already beaten this one to death? It seems that DL is using a definition for focus city that is not the traditional definition, or god forbid, doesn’t fit what a.net wants it to mean. It seems to refer to a focus in marketing effort and future focus by the airline as a market to be developed, as opposed to the total number of flights. Haven’t we already established this yet?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos