flyingisthebest
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:20 am

cedarjet wrote:
Is Brisbane the Aussie end of the route because of range? Otherwise I don’t get it. 75% of traffic will have to take a domestic flight from Sydney or Melbourne first, so it’s no improvement on going via LAX on QF/AA or via AKL on NZ.

Reminds me of the people who said after the success of PER LHR that Perth would get nonstops to Frankfurt and Paris. Frankfurt and Paris have been attempted from Sydney without success, but Perth, country town with a CBD consisting of two streets is getting nonstops?!

So how come Brisbane of all places, another small country town, is in the frame for a nonstop to Chicago ahead of Sydney or Melbourne?


Range wise the 787 only has legs to BNE and not SYD. Plus connections are good for Brisbane you can get to most of Australia/NZ via Brisbane like Sydney. Which looks like the purpose of the route from Brisbane to be able to offer 1 stop connections in the states like qf7/8 DFW is for Sydney.
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3183
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:23 am

cedarjet wrote:
Is Brisbane the Aussie end of the route because of range? Otherwise I don’t get it. 75% of traffic will have to take a domestic flight from Sydney or Melbourne first, so it’s no improvement on going via LAX on QF/AA or via AKL on NZ.

Reminds me of the people who said after the success of PER LHR that Perth would get nonstops to Frankfurt and Paris. Frankfurt and Paris have been attempted from Sydney without success, but Perth, country town with a CBD consisting of two streets is getting nonstops?!

So how come Brisbane of all places, another small country town, is in the frame for a nonstop to Chicago ahead of Sydney or Melbourne?


BNE is best located to operate the ORD route due to its location at this stage. SYD and MEL would be larger markets but geography plays an important role in making this a viable option.

One thing to consider though is that DFW started out as SYD-DFW-BNE-SYD and as soon as they were in a position to go direct to SYD the BNE part of the route was dropped. Could well be to be a similar case here, but it all depends on both contractual requirements (ie. Deal with Qld govt to base aircraft at BNE) and the overall plan that QF May be looking at (ie. Multiple airports connected to ORD and DFW).

For the Chicago route, Boeing also has its Australian HQ in Brisbane, so that’s at least some kind of demand for ORD but don't think it would be significant.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:51 am

I am not sure if it's related to any of the announcements earlier in the week but on my way into work on Friday there was convoy of approx. 3-4 hire cars heading towards QF campus with placards on the dash clearly marked "DFW Conference".

AA announcement or QF announcement perhaps?

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
Detroit313
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:07 am

AA should start DFW - AKL!
 
JQ321
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:40 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:20 am

cedarjet wrote:
Is Brisbane the Aussie end of the route because of range? Otherwise I don’t get it. 75% of traffic will have to take a domestic flight from Sydney or Melbourne first, so it’s no improvement on going via LAX on QF/AA or via AKL on NZ.

Reminds me of the people who said after the success of PER LHR that Perth would get nonstops to Frankfurt and Paris. Frankfurt and Paris have been attempted from Sydney without success, but Perth, country town with a CBD consisting of two streets is getting nonstops?!

So how come Brisbane of all places, another small country town, is in the frame for a nonstop to Chicago ahead of Sydney or Melbourne?

You should learn what a country-town is. You are being very offensive to the whole of Australia.
 
jfk777
Posts: 6973
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:46 am

JQ321 wrote:
cedarjet wrote:
Is Brisbane the Aussie end of the route because of range? Otherwise I don’t get it. 75% of traffic will have to take a domestic flight from Sydney or Melbourne first, so it’s no improvement on going via LAX on QF/AA or via AKL on NZ.

Reminds me of the people who said after the success of PER LHR that Perth would get nonstops to Frankfurt and Paris. Frankfurt and Paris have been attempted from Sydney without success, but Perth, country town with a CBD consisting of two streets is getting nonstops?!

So how come Brisbane of all places, another small country town, is in the frame for a nonstop to Chicago ahead of Sydney or Melbourne?

You should learn what a country-town is. You are being very offensive to the whole of Australia.


Perth and Brisbane are cities with millions in population with large O & D markets for international flights. All the leading Asian and Middle East airlines fly to both Brisbane and Perth daily often up 4 and 5 times daily.

As far as Perth to Paris and Frankfurt, Qantas built a beautiful lounge and customs facilities at its Perth domestic terminal for easy connections for their London flights. The Perth Airport Authorities now have an itch that Qantas use the regular international terminal for the Paris and FRA flights, Qantas of course finds this unacceptable. No Perth to CDG until the authorities in Perth see Qantas side, and why wouldn't they. Qantas was going to fly to Johannesburg from Perth, then the same issue came up and Qantas sad No thank you.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:56 pm

AA launching LAX-MEL with a 789 seems pretty much a given at some point. This would enable QF to drop one of its LAX-MEL frequencies and use the plane elsewhere. With the 747's retiring this year, and more 787-9s coming on line in 2020, QF will have little slack in the fleet. I can also see AA adding 4x weekly LAX-BNE (I think QF flies it twice a day on some days).
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3183
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
AA launching LAX-MEL with a 789 seems pretty much a given at some point. This would enable QF to drop one of its LAX-MEL frequencies and use the plane elsewhere. With the 747's retiring this year, and more 787-9s coming on line in 2020, QF will have little slack in the fleet. I can also see AA adding 4x weekly LAX-BNE (I think QF flies it twice a day on some days).


With the added capacity on BNE routes, I don’t really see AA flying in there.

I could see BNE having:

Daily LAX/JFK
3/4 x weekly ORD
3/4 x weekly SFO

With 3 weekly to one and 4 weekly to the other, it would give the BNE market 14 weekly frequencies, which would be an increase of 3 weekly flights from the current 11 weekly.

Another consideration will be the overall offering on Australia-US routes. It will need to ensure it has the right levels of capacity across SYD/MEL/BNE, as in the end it is all essentially the same market whatever the gateway airport.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 8595
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:26 pm

jfk777 wrote:

As far as Perth to Paris and Frankfurt, Qantas built a beautiful lounge and customs facilities at its Perth domestic terminal for easy connections for their London flights. The Perth Airport Authorities now have an itch that Qantas use the regular international terminal for the Paris and FRA flights, Qantas of course finds this unacceptable. No Perth to CDG until the authorities in Perth see Qantas side, and why wouldn't they. Qantas was going to fly to Johannesburg from Perth, then the same issue came up and Qantas sad No thank you.


That is incorrect. QF built the lounge only, custom facilities were paid for by State and Federal governments. If Qantas wanted to start CDG and/or FRA they could have started it yesterday, the current agreement allows that was drawn up for the announcement of LHR included other European destinations plus existing international services, it did not include JNB hence why Perth Airport's argument of that operating out of T1. The main issue at the moment is QF's lack of payment towards airport fees, all carriers serving PER have had new contracts drawn up with lower fees, this includes QF BTW but QF refused to pay the new fees citing that they were too high and decided to pay what they felt like which resulted in Perth Airport filing writs in the WA Supreme Court and QF is currently being sued by the airport. I would also point out that they have behaved in a similar manner with other airports in the Northern Territory and northern Queensland, refusing to pay fees, the only difference is none of those airports are in the position to launch legal action like Perth Airport has. The other issue is regarding the new terminal that Qantas agreed to move into by 31 December 2025.
Forum Moderator
 
jfk777
Posts: 6973
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:28 pm

qf789 wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

As far as Perth to Paris and Frankfurt, Qantas built a beautiful lounge and customs facilities at its Perth domestic terminal for easy connections for their London flights. The Perth Airport Authorities now have an itch that Qantas use the regular international terminal for the Paris and FRA flights, Qantas of course finds this unacceptable. No Perth to CDG until the authorities in Perth see Qantas side, and why wouldn't they. Qantas was going to fly to Johannesburg from Perth, then the same issue came up and Qantas sad No thank you.


That is incorrect. QF built the lounge only, custom facilities were paid for by State and Federal governments. If Qantas wanted to start CDG and/or FRA they could have started it yesterday, the current agreement allows that was drawn up for the announcement of LHR included other European destinations plus existing international services, it did not include JNB hence why Perth Airport's argument of that operating out of T1. The main issue at the moment is QF's lack of payment towards airport fees, all carriers serving PER have had new contracts drawn up with lower fees, this includes QF BTW but QF refused to pay the new fees citing that they were too high and decided to pay what they felt like which resulted in Perth Airport filing writs in the WA Supreme Court and QF is currently being sued by the airport. I would also point out that they have behaved in a similar manner with other airports in the Northern Territory and northern Queensland, refusing to pay fees, the only difference is none of those airports are in the position to launch legal action like Perth Airport has. The other issue is regarding the new terminal that Qantas agreed to move into by 31 December 2025.


QF789,

Our course Qantas leases the terminal from the airport. The only airport I know of where airlines "own" their physical terminals is JFK where they still lease the land from the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey. BA has for the last 50 years owned their JFK terminal from which they are moving in 2022. Do you really think BA own Terminal 5 at Heathrow ? I don't know the answer but probably not, they likely lease it.
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:38 pm

delete.. (duplicate).
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:42 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
AA launching LAX-MEL with a 789 seems pretty much a given at some point. This would enable QF to drop one of its LAX-MEL frequencies and use the plane elsewhere. With the 747's retiring this year, and more 787-9s coming on line in 2020, QF will have little slack in the fleet. I can also see AA adding 4x weekly LAX-BNE (I think QF flies it twice a day on some days).


With the added capacity on BNE routes, I don’t really see AA flying in there.

I could see BNE having:

Daily LAX/JFK
3/4 x weekly ORD
3/4 x weekly SFO

With 3 weekly to one and 4 weekly to the other, it would give the BNE market 14 weekly frequencies, which would be an increase of 3 weekly flights from the current 11 weekly.

Another consideration will be the overall offering on Australia-US routes. It will need to ensure it has the right levels of capacity across SYD/MEL/BNE, as in the end it is all essentially the same market whatever the gateway airport.


If the rumour of AA taking over the QF 789 frequencies to MEL-LAX eventuates, I would tip QF would just move the plane to increased MEL-SFO flying, to compensate for the loss of SYD-SFO capacity by retiring the 744 currently on that route.

Increased MEL-SFO would also compliment the announced proposed BNE-SFO flying.
 
Planes4you
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:35 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:34 pm

EK413 wrote:
I am not sure if it's related to any of the announcements earlier in the week but on my way into work on Friday there was convoy of approx. 3-4 hire cars heading towards QF campus with placards on the dash clearly marked "DFW Conference".

AA announcement or QF announcement perhaps?

EK413



I spoke to my aussie friend about it and he told
me we shouldn’t count on anything too amazing because it’s most likely for trade.Also the Dallas mayor is intbe meeting too
 
CHRISBA35X
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:40 pm

Understand BNE-ORD can only be 789 but... Can their A332s do BNE-SFO/LAX? Or is this nailed on 789/744 route?
 
Ryanair01
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:50 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Is Brisbane the Aussie end of the route because of range? Otherwise I don’t get it. 75% of traffic will have to take a domestic flight from Sydney or Melbourne first, so it’s no improvement on going via LAX on QF/AA or via AKL on NZ.

Reminds me of the people who said after the success of PER LHR that Perth would get nonstops to Frankfurt and Paris. Frankfurt and Paris have been attempted from Sydney without success, but Perth, country town with a CBD consisting of two streets is getting nonstops?!

So how come Brisbane of all places, another small country town, is in the frame for a nonstop to Chicago ahead of Sydney or Melbourne?


:lol: This quote made my weekend. As a former Brisbane resident I know where you are coming from, although things have moved on a bit.

Image

Boeing have a large operation in Brisbane (around 3-4,000 I believe), including R&D. That's the reason behind up two daily non stops to LAX (QF15 am and QF55 pm) marketed to Boeing Integrated Defence Systems and why BNE-SEA has been mentioned by AJ.

I struggle to think of many other business links between anywhere in Australia and the Mid West.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 8595
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:29 pm

CHRISBA35X wrote:
Understand BNE-ORD can only be 789 but... Can their A332s do BNE-SFO/LAX? Or is this nailed on 789/744 route?


No A332's cant do BNE-SFO/LAX, they are a 789 route
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
SFOA380
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:35 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:41 pm

Ryanair01 wrote:
cedarjet wrote:
Is Brisbane the Aussie end of the route because of range? Otherwise I don’t get it. 75% of traffic will have to take a domestic flight from Sydney or Melbourne first, so it’s no improvement on going via LAX on QF/AA or via AKL on NZ.

Reminds me of the people who said after the success of PER LHR that Perth would get nonstops to Frankfurt and Paris. Frankfurt and Paris have been attempted from Sydney without success, but Perth, country town with a CBD consisting of two streets is getting nonstops?!

So how come Brisbane of all places, another small country town, is in the frame for a nonstop to Chicago ahead of Sydney or Melbourne?


:lol: This quote made my weekend. As a former Brisbane resident I know where you are coming from, although things have moved on a bit.

Image

Boeing have a large operation in Brisbane (around 3-4,000 I believe), including R&D. That's the reason behind up two daily non stops to LAX (QF15 am and QF55 pm) marketed to Boeing Integrated Defence Systems and why BNE-SEA has been mentioned by AJ.

I struggle to think of many other business links between anywhere in Australia and the Mid West.


That is one amazing looking country town!
 
Gemuser
Posts: 4972
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:02 am

Cedarjet:So how come Brisbane of all places, another small country town, is in the frame for a nonstop to Chicago ahead of Sydney or Melbourne?

Hope you have your hard hat on! :-)
While BNE is now over 2 million population it is still only 35 - 40% the size of SYD or MEL, which is why the new service to ORD will , most likely, orginate in SYD or MEL and fly via BNE to ORD [because of the range issue] with a specific connection to the other city.

Gemuser
 
Ryanair01
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:31 am

Gemuser wrote:
Cedarjet:So how come Brisbane of all places, another small country town, is in the frame for a nonstop to Chicago ahead of Sydney or Melbourne?

Hope you have your hard hat on! :-)
While BNE is now over 2 million population it is still only 35 - 40% the size of SYD or MEL, which is why the new service to ORD will , most likely, orginate in SYD or MEL and fly via BNE to ORD [because of the range issue] with a specific connection to the other city.

Gemuser


Without Boeing's corporate dollar sat up front BNE would make no sense. Greater Sydney and Melbourne are around 5m, Southeast Queensland (the equivalent of Greater Sydney/Melbourne) is 3.6m so more like 70% of SYD/MEL and not 35% as you say. Regardless, Sydney is where visitors head to and where most of corporate Australia resides - so other things being equal the obvious destination.
 
Gemuser
Posts: 4972
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:00 am

Ryanair01 wrote:
Gemuser wrote:
Cedarjet:So how come Brisbane of all places, another small country town, is in the frame for a nonstop to Chicago ahead of Sydney or Melbourne?

Hope you have your hard hat on! :-)
While BNE is now over 2 million population it is still only 35 - 40% the size of SYD or MEL, which is why the new service to ORD will , most likely, orginate in SYD or MEL and fly via BNE to ORD [because of the range issue] with a specific connection to the other city.

Gemuser


Without Boeing's corporate dollar sat up front BNE would make no sense. Greater Sydney and Melbourne are around 5m, Southeast Queensland (the equivalent of Greater Sydney/Melbourne) is 3.6m so more like 70% of SYD/MEL and not 35% as you say. Regardless, Sydney is where visitors head to and where most of corporate Australia resides - so other things being equal the obvious destination.

Err - 3.6 is about 37% of 10 million, the combined size of SYD & MEL, not the 70% you claim. Greater SYD including Newcastle & Wollongong is closer to 5.5 million.
Even the Boeing corporate dollars would not make a real differance as Boeing has a small corprate office in the ORD catchment [about 5 - 600 was throwan around on here] when they moved it from Seattle.

Gemuser
 
User avatar
SeaEagle8
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 am

That small town comment was ignorant.
Regardless of population you have to look at the demographics of the population too. Corporate premium travel, immigrant population, and the ability to attract inbound travel. This is where Sydney has an advantage on top of the fact it is the largest city.
NSW based avgeek
 
Arion640
Posts: 2371
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:22 am

cedarjet wrote:
Is Brisbane the Aussie end of the route because of range? Otherwise I don’t get it. 75% of traffic will have to take a domestic flight from Sydney or Melbourne first, so it’s no improvement on going via LAX on QF/AA or via AKL on NZ.

Reminds me of the people who said after the success of PER LHR that Perth would get nonstops to Frankfurt and Paris. Frankfurt and Paris have been attempted from Sydney without success, but Perth, country town with a CBD consisting of two streets is getting nonstops?!

So how come Brisbane of all places, another small country town, is in the frame for a nonstop to Chicago ahead of Sydney or Melbourne?


I think Brisbane is hardly a country town.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3183
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:44 am

Brisbane has certainly evolved into a great city, which makes comments about it being a country town more of a wind up than anything someone would say with serious intent.

BNE’s location advantage on a sector like ORD is key to the success of this route, as the 789 is at the edge of its performance envelope on that one.

Even with SYD and MEL being far larger markets, BNE still has a role as both a destination and a hub that still makes this a strong option. As aircraft continue to evolve, further opportunities from SYD and MEL will become options on the table and it will be up to QF to assess its network requirements at that time.
 
FL420FT
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:36 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
Brisbane has certainly evolved into a great city, which makes comments about it being a country town more of a wind up than anything someone would say with serious intent.

BNE’s location advantage on a sector like ORD is key to the success of this route, as the 789 is at the edge of its performance envelope on that one.

Even with SYD and MEL being far larger markets, BNE still has a role as both a destination and a hub that still makes this a strong option. As aircraft continue to evolve, further opportunities from SYD and MEL will become options on the table and it will be up to QF to assess its network requirements at that time.



Even though it probably won't affect the this potential BNE ORD flight ... BNE has no curfew unlike SYD
 
getluv
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:45 pm

According to the Courier Mail, QF is going to announce both routes today (Monday AEST time).

https://www.couriermail.com.au/business ... de2fd730e7 (Paywalled)
I'm that bad type.
 
h1fl1er
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:10 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
Brisbane has certainly evolved into a great city, which makes comments about it being a country town more of a wind up than anything someone would say with serious intent.

BNE’s location advantage on a sector like ORD is key to the success of this route, as the 789 is at the edge of its performance envelope on that one.


maybe even beyond it. iah-syd suffers from bigtime winds westbound, commonly exceeding per-lhr flight time. when I've looked on flight aware ua101 is usually the longest 789 flight

given ord's location this route will really be stretching it. but props to qf for pushing the envelope and being creative with these routes
 
TheKennady2
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:42 pm

getluv wrote:
According to the Courier Mail, QF is going to announce both routes today (Monday AEST time).

https://www.couriermail.com.au/business ... de2fd730e7 (Paywalled)


HOPE before fall 2020 they start, Amazing to think airlines can fly from Oceana into the Central US nonstop now.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2349
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:30 pm

I think too much is being read into Boeing's Australian presence. They used to employ about 5,000 more people a few years ago and I doubt many of those who are there now travel to ORD frequently.
 
trent1000
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:33 am

An announcement will be made by QANTAS today, June 17th, reported in Australian news.
Flights would use 787-9s
US DOT approval within a few weeks.
Flights expected to commence early 2020.
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-a ... 46058e2792
 
Lufthansa
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu May 20, 1999 6:04 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:45 am

cedarjet wrote:
Is Brisbane the Aussie end of the route because of range? Otherwise I don’t get it. 75% of traffic will have to take a domestic flight from Sydney or Melbourne first, so it’s no improvement on going via LAX on QF/AA or via AKL on NZ.

Reminds me of the people who said after the success of PER LHR that Perth would get nonstops to Frankfurt and Paris. Frankfurt and Paris have been attempted from Sydney without success, but Perth, country town with a CBD consisting of two streets is getting nonstops?!

So how come Brisbane of all places, another small country town, is in the frame for a nonstop to Chicago ahead of Sydney or Melbourne?


You have obviously been out of Australia for a while. 100 000 ppl a year have been moving too SE old a year alone. The catchment area is far beyond SE old.
Qld's population is about the same as Victoria's its just not as concentrated, but the catchment area extends far beyond that. It's as far away as Darwin and Cairns in the
north, and if timed right even Hobart in the south. While I don't think you'll get a lot of traffic from NSW except the Gold Coast boarding area, its not like theres
not a market. And its far more than just Boeing. There's huge agricultural investments, mining investments, loads of tourism (think inbound pax not Aussies heading
abroad), multiple construction companies.

Besides the huge amount of Asian airlines flying in (proving demand)
if Air Canada can make BNE-YVR work why can't Qantas make BNE-SFO work, arguably a larger market?
 
User avatar
SeaEagle8
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:06 am

So there is the mystery of frequency solved.
Total QF BNE to USA services will be 14 per week by April 2020.

LAX 7
ORD 4
SFO 3

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... francisco/
NSW based avgeek
 
smi0006
Posts: 2225
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:15 am

SeaEagle8 wrote:
So there is the mystery of frequency solved.
Total QF BNE to USA services will be 14 per week by April 2020.

LAX 7
ORD 4
SFO 3

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... francisco/


I assume SFO will rotate in an out on the opposing days of QFs MEL-SFO 4 weekly. Good to see QF fragmenting the market and trying lower frequencies first. Old QF wanted a daily 744 or wouldn’t bother, far more agile and nimble now!

Hope we see some more 789 ordered soon!
 
Ishrion
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:16 am

Why was my post linking the press release deleted :wideeyed:

Actually a couple posts were...
 
Planes4you
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:35 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:20 am

Will DFW be next?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 8595
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qantas plans to launch BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD one QF/AA final approval is granted

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:03 am

Ishrion wrote:
Why was my post linking the press release deleted :wideeyed:

Actually a couple posts were...


Because they didn't comply with forum rules, as per all deletions you can contact us by email, [email protected] and we will give you an explanation
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos