Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jonair8

Re: Alaska Airlines California Strategy

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:45 am

I think its about time AS added SEA-MRY. Seems like this add is long overdue as I would imagine there being a significant enough O&D market share between the two. I am expecting it to be successful from an early stage. This was a big gap in MRY's network.

cschleic

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 am

SANFan wrote:
cschleic wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:
MRY is strategically situated a very short drive from many large communities south of San Jose not to mention Salinas, Santa Cruz and the Monetery Peninsula, with some good marketing MRY could be a great alternate to SJC and maybe could regain it's former glory.

Great news for MRY. Way back when, when UA had nonstops from MRY to ORD and DEN, plus the usual SFO and LAX, there was speculation about whether they would fly to PDX / SEA but never did.

Anyway, the thing is, SAN and SEA don’t make very good connection points to MRY if there is a non-stop to SJC instead. As noted above, it’s not too far from MRY(exactly 90 minute drive if no traffic) and way cheaper. But depends on your origin or destination. Back in the day, SJC didn’t have as many longer routes as now so connections from MRY were more common.

I can certainly think of some connecting opportunities from MRY over SEA and SAN. In addition to Hawaii, via SEA you have all of Alaska, and Canada, and most of the airports in the PNW, inc PDX. Via SAN, you can prolly get to Mexico (depending on timing of the flights involved.) There might be a couple of transcons that could work from MRY via SEA or SAN.

But I don't think the point of MRY is connections. AS began flying SAN-MRY in June of 2012; it remained the only route out of MRY until this June when SEA is added. I would guess the majority of all pax flying between SAN and MRY were local O&D traffic (much of it military in fact.) I wouldn't be surprised if SEA is a similar situation.

bb

The SAN flight schedule has changed around over the years. At one time, it was MRY - SAN in the morning and made for good connections to Mexico, which might have made sense given cities in the Monterey area. The military presence isn't as large as it was in the past, at least for the army. But I agree, there are a lot of connecting opportunities. My point was it doesn't necessarily make sense for all opportunities, though, if there's a non-stop available from San Jose because even with the drive to SJC, it's less time and often much less $$ to drive there instead. I know, I've done it more times than I can count. For SEA, yes, probably a good portion of O&D.

A while back, AS had a MRY - LAX flight but that didn't last long. No it's only UA since AA cut it's LAX flights, too.

ASFlyer

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:37 am

SANFan wrote:
cschleic wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:
MRY is strategically situated a very short drive from many large communities south of San Jose not to mention Salinas, Santa Cruz and the Monetery Peninsula, with some good marketing MRY could be a great alternate to SJC and maybe could regain it's former glory.

Great news for MRY. Way back when, when UA had nonstops from MRY to ORD and DEN, plus the usual SFO and LAX, there was speculation about whether they would fly to PDX / SEA but never did.

Anyway, the thing is, SAN and SEA don’t make very good connection points to MRY if there is a non-stop to SJC instead. As noted above, it’s not too far from MRY(exactly 90 minute drive if no traffic) and way cheaper. But depends on your origin or destination. Back in the day, SJC didn’t have as many longer routes as now so connections from MRY were more common.

I can certainly think of some connecting opportunities from MRY over SEA and SAN. In addition to Hawaii, via SEA you have all of Alaska, and Canada, and most of the airports in the PNW, inc PDX. Via SAN, you can prolly get to Mexico (depending on timing of the flights involved.) There might be a couple of transcons that could work from MRY via SEA or SAN.

But I don't think the point of MRY is connections. AS began flying SAN-MRY in June of 2012; it remained the only route out of MRY until this June when SEA is added. I would guess the majority of all pax flying between SAN and MRY were local O&D traffic (much of it military in fact.) I wouldn't be surprised if SEA is a similar situation.

bb

actually, AS flew MRY-LAX for a VERY short time as well as MRY-SAN...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos