LX015
Topic Author

More safety issues for Boeing...

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Once again the 787 is in the spotlight with safety issues regarding its landing gear. https://www.airlive.net/alert-faa-says- ... n-repairs/

Polot

Re: More safety issues for Boeing...

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:26 pm

Eh, this is standard AD stuff that is getting magnified due to the Max.

AirKevin

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:29 pm

The 787 Dreamliner is flown by 72 major airlines around the world, including United, Virgin Atlantic and American and Boeing recently announced 235 new routes.

Huh?
Captain Kevin

jetblueguy22

If people actually went in and saw how many ADs that are out there it would knock their socks off..
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

ikolkyo

Going to be very annoying having every little thing get absolutely blown out of proportion.

gatibosgru

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:34 pm

the recently launched 787-9 and 787-8

That's a stretch, but ok.
@DadCelo

Virtual737

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:41 pm

gatibosgru wrote:

I thought the 787-10 was the stretch?

Jouhou

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:45 pm

AirKevin wrote:
The 787 Dreamliner is flown by 72 major airlines around the world, including United, Virgin Atlantic and American and Boeing recently announced 235 new routes.

Huh?

Clearly Boeing is running a new commercial airline, duh.

BoeingGuy

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:54 pm

How reputable is that web site? I haven’t heard about this or seen it in any other source.

qf789

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:57 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
How reputable is that web site? I haven’t heard about this or seen it in any other source.

Here is another story on it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ction.html
Forum Moderator

Gulfstream500

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:59 pm

Jouhou wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

Huh?

Clearly Boeing is running a new commercial airline, duh.

<enable sarcasm>

Wow!!!

Where can I book?
What hubs/focus cities will they have?
When do they start flying?
Can you buy stock in this new airline?
When will airbus start a competing airline? Will Boeing ask the US government to stick tariffs on Bombardier’s airline? How about Gulfstream’s new Jetcard service to compete with NetJets? Will that be a success?

<disable sarcasm>

Honestly, why???
What's the deal with airplane food?

Frontier Airlines: Spirit of the west

nikeherc

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:05 pm

Please note that the issues addressed by this AD were covered in a Boeing Information Notice date June 12, 2018, almost a year ago. It does not affect the general body of 787s and may well have already been implemented on many if not all of the affected aircraft. If this blog is going to be used to publicize and sensationalize every AD or maintenance event on Boeing airplanes, then fairness dictates that the same zealousness apply to Airbus, Bombardier and Embraer aircraft.

The current climate in which everything Boeing does, has done or will do is regarded as unsafe, unfair or just plain evil is ridiculous. The next thing you know, we'll get reports of every 737 tire change or engine oil refill.

I have already reduced my perusal of this blog because of this and may be forced to give it up altogether if some semblance of balance and reasonableness is not restored.

After I posted this, I saw the other comments and the Daily Mail article. Stupid over sensationalism. They even posted video of the 737 Max accidents. This has gone way too far.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

Continental767

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:20 pm

Having every single safety incident is going to get annoying real quick. This is normal stuff for an aircraft type.
Indianapolis.

PixelPilot

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:56 pm

Perfect example that pretty much unrestricted access to information (internet obviously) is still not enough for some.
Stupid is as stupid does.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:14 pm

nikeherc wrote:
Please note that the issues addressed by this AD were covered in a Boeing Information Notice date June 12, 2018, almost a year ago. It does not affect the general body of 787s and may well have already been implemented on many if not all of the affected aircraft. If this blog is going to be used to publicize and sensationalize every AD or maintenance event on Boeing airplanes, then fairness dictates that the same zealousness apply to Airbus, Bombardier and Embraer aircraft.

The current climate in which everything Boeing does, has done or will do is regarded as unsafe, unfair or just plain evil is ridiculous. The next thing you know, we'll get reports of every 737 tire change or engine oil refill.

I have already reduced my perusal of this blog because of this and may be forced to give it up altogether if some semblance of balance and reasonableness is not restored.

After I posted this, I saw the other comments and the Daily Mail article. Stupid over sensationalism. They even posted video of the 737 Max accidents. This has gone way too far.

Don't blame the "blog" - blame the people that post this stuff. There's plenty of meat on the a.net bones to gnaw on.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

1989worstyear

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:18 pm

qf789 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I know I'm not one to talk given my reputation on this site, but the Daily Heil isn't exactly a great source for aviation-related news (or anything else outside vapid celebrity drivel :crazy: ).
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

Antarius

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:

I thought the 787-10 was the stretch?

Hehehehehehe
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN DEN DOH BLR MAA KTM YYZ MEX

BoeingGuy

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:30 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
nikeherc wrote:

Don't blame the "blog" - blame the people that post this stuff. There's plenty of meat on the a.net bones to gnaw on.

He’s got a good point though. I keep telling myself I’m going to stop fighting the constant false information posted on the recent 737 and certification threads, although I’m not doing a good job of it.

It’s so refreshing to having a pleasant dialogue with others on threads like New Routes from PAE or whether SJC is a focus city for DL, etc.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:33 pm

Ya, I agree. I'm tired of the combativeness that happens - including my own. I just want to read about planes.airlines, learn a bit, and move on with my day. But agendas....
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Balerit

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:53 pm

Polot wrote:

You have to be kidding, since when has it become okay to say AD's are normal, they are not, they are issued to rectify serious design flaws or procedures or any abnormalities that affect flight safety. Maybe you're getting confused with SB's.

It's time you guys accept the fact that Boeing has stuffed up big time by crossing that thin line between safety and greed.
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).

PixelPilot

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:00 pm

Balerit wrote:
Polot wrote:

You have to be kidding, since when has it become okay to say AD's are normal, they are not, they are issued to rectify serious design flaws or procedures or any abnormalities that affect flight safety. Maybe you're getting confused with SB's.

It's time you guys accept the fact that Boeing has stuffed up big time by crossing that thin line between safety and greed.

uh oh. Here we go again.
Don't hold yourself back.
Tell us how you really feel.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Balerit wrote:
Polot wrote:

uh oh. Here we go again.

I've switched all my flying to Airbus. They don't have AD's or crashes. I read it online.
-Dave

smokeybandit

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Balerit wrote:
Polot wrote:

There have been 35 ADs issued in the last 60 days for Boeing, Airbus, Bell, Viking, Bombardier, and more. Might as well ground all aircraft!

BoeingGuy

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:08 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
Balerit wrote:

uh oh. Here we go again.

I've switched all my flying to Airbus. They don't have AD's or crashes. I read it online.

Right. Boeing leadership says to intentionally disregard safety and kill people to improve profits. I read that here too.

AC77X

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:12 pm

The 787 seems to be in the news more than other planes...

JAAlbert

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:15 pm

qf789 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

The UK Mail appears to be a copy of the original story, including the information that Boeing is announcing 235 new flights -- hmmmm.

Here is the actual AD:

SUMMARY: We are adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for certain The Boeing Company
Model 787-8 and 787-9 airplanes. This AD was prompted by a determination that certain areas in the
tire/wheel threat zones could be susceptible to damage, which could result in loss of braking on one
main landing gear (MLG) truck, loss of nose wheel steering, and loss of directional control on the
ground when below rudder effectiveness speed. This AD requires installing hydraulic tubing, a
pressure-operated check valve, and new flight control software. We are issuing this AD to address the
unsafe condition on these products.

We are issuing this AD to address damage from a MLG thrown tire tread or tire burst event,
which could result in loss of directional control on the ground and consequent runway excursion.
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guida ... -08-05.pdf

The AD is a bit less dramatic than what the article implies -- areas in the nose/landing gear are susceptible to damage due to a blown tire or tread, and require additional tubing, valves and software. The fix was proposed last August, 2018 and Boeing agrees with the AD.

I don't see Boeing culpability in the limited information provided by this AD. In fact, it was Boeing that uncovered -- and reported -- the problem:

"Boeing determined that certain areas in the tire/wheel threat zones could be susceptible to damage due to a thrown tire tread or tire burst. This could result in a loss of braking on one MLG truck, loss of nose wheel steering, and loss of directional control on the ground when below rudder effectiveness speed. The Model 787 hydraulic system is configured with a reserve steering system intended to maintain the nose wheel steering function in the event that a thrown tire tread or tire burst leads to a brake system failure such that differential braking cannot be used for directional control. Boeing has determined that damage from a MLG thrown tire tread or tire burst event could also result in the loss of the reserve steering system, resulting in loss of directional control on the ground and consequent runway excursion."
(cite: Notice of Proposed Rule Making NPRM dated 08/31/2018)

Boeing notified airlines of the issue in two Boeing Alert Service Bulletins B787-81205-SB290032-00 (and SB290033-00), Issue 001, both dated November 17, 2017, which also identify which aircraft are effected. (Unfortunately, I could not locate the two service bulletins on short notice, but I'll keep looking. I'm interested to know exactly which planes fall under the AD).

Page 4 of the AD also suggests a lower repair estimate than the articles state:
787-8 Categories 1-3 $413,595
787-8 Categories 2 $0.00 (lucky category 2!)
787-8 Categories 4-6 $2,761,015
787-9 Categories 1-4 $1,917,000

The software fix appears to apply only to the 787-9 aircraft and costs a modest $5,610.

Also, it's interesting that of the 805 787-8/9 aircraft in the skies, only 100 are targeted by the AD. Since this issue has been known for awhile, perhaps Boeing adopted the modification in new build aircraft or have already changed out the other models?

At any rate, this appears to be a typical sort of issue uncovered after a plane has been in service and indicates - at least in this instance - the established protocol for identifying and repairing issues worked. The AD identifies a situation that has been known to exist since before November, 2017, and Boeing agrees with the need for the modification and suggested the modification.

What I could not discern from the information cited is whether any incidents involving a loss of steering or braking occurred, and exactly which planes are included in the AD, and why only those. I checked Aviation Herald, but could not go back to 2017 or prior, nor could I locate the Boeing Alert Service Bulletins.

Still, the AD is an interesting read -- much more so than the two articles.

morrisond

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:18 pm

Balerit wrote:
Polot wrote:

35 A/D's issued in the last 60 days - of which 8 are for Airbus/Airbus Helicopters

15,382 Current AD's outstanding - You can can't how many for Boeing vs Airbus

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... tartRow=26

Polot

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Balerit wrote:
Polot wrote:

There is an AD, effective June 26, on all A320 family ceo models requiring inspection and possible replacement of certain rivets. Failure to do so can result in cracks and loss of structural integrity. Estimated cost to US operators is $32 million. There is another one to check some rack fitting lugs. There is another one to check for cracks in 737-100 thru 500. There is another one to check seals on the 748. This is all in the past 60 days.

AA737-823

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:45 pm

Balerit wrote:
Polot wrote:

Welcome to my blocked list.
Not because you have an opinion. But because your understanding of how commercial aviation works is so poorly-informed.

To wit: AD's come out twice a month. They're "normal." It's part of having a functional safety system.

BoeingGuy

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:22 am

Polot wrote:
Balerit wrote:
Polot wrote:

There is an AD, effective June 26, on all A320 family ceo models requiring inspection and possible replacement of certain rivets. Failure to do so can result in cracks and loss of structural integrity. Estimated cost to US operators is $32 million. There is another one to check some rack fitting lugs. There is another one to check for cracks in 737-100 thru 500. There is another one to check seals on the 748. This is all in the past 60 days.

I sure hope there weren’t any cracks in those 737-100s mentioned in the AD.

JayinKitsap

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:51 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Polot wrote:
Balerit wrote:

The whole fleet of the -100's will be grounded soon. <are any still flying?>

BoeingGuy

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:11 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
Polot wrote:

The whole fleet of the -100's will be grounded soon. <are any still flying?>

Not for quite a few years now. That was my joke. The last 737-100 in service was the America West one used for Phoenix Suns charters.

T prop

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:31 am

AD's making news now? Lol... So is this an emergency AD?... Media most likely is clueless or counting on the guillible to pump up thier ratings, maybe a bit of both.

Balerit

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:27 am

AA737-823 wrote:
Balerit wrote:
Polot wrote:

Not because you have an opinion. But because your understanding of how commercial aviation works is so poorly-informed.

To wit: AD's come out twice a month. They're "normal." It's part of having a functional safety system.

And how long have you been in aviation, I've been for 40 years? So what you are saying is that it is normal for Boeing to have so many AD,s and not to worry, which is indicative of poor design practices and to try and say this is normal is ridiculous.
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:39 am

Balerit wrote:
And how long have you been in aviation, I've been for 40 years? So what you are saying is that it is normal for Boeing to have so many AD,s and not to worry, which is indicative of poor design practices and to try and say this is normal is ridiculous.

Yes it is normal. And no it's not indicative of poor design practices.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Polot

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:39 am

Balerit wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:
Balerit wrote:

Yes, it is normal. In the past 60 days there have been 7 ADs issued in regards to Boeing aircraft, and 6 issued for Airbus (commercial aircraft, I’m excluding their helicopter division which would add 2 more). That is a statistically insignificant difference, especially when you consider Boeing has more planes and models than Airbus (any AD affecting a McDD plane is under Boeing’s name now). 13 ADs in 60 days is one basically every 5 days. There are 35 ADs issued in the past 60 days, that is a new AD every 2 days. Yes I am aware that is not how they are issued. There are 15,382 current ADs. I can assure you both Boeing and Airbus have a lot. There have already been ~30 ADs for the A350! :eek: damn Airbus cutting corners in safety, only Boeing does that!

Surely a licensed aircraft maintenance engineer who was in the business for 40 years would know how often ADs come about?

In your first post you mentioned SBs. You are aware most service bulletins are drafted in response to an AD correct? It’s basically telling you how to best rectify and meet the AD.

OldAeroGuy

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:54 pm

Polot wrote:
In your first post you mentioned SBs. You are aware most service bulletins are drafted in response to an AD correct? It’s basically telling you how to best rectify and meet the AD.

Usually, an Alert SB is issued first by the OEM and the FAA turns the ASB into an AD.
Airplane design is easy, the difficulty is getting them to fly - Barnes Wallis

glideslope

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:35 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
If people actually went in and saw how many ADs that are out there it would knock their socks off..

Socks, shoes, pants, shirts, and glasses. 8-)
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos