bob75013
Topic Author

Boeing in Negotiations With China for Largest-Ever Jetliner Order - Report

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 pm

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/boe ... yptr=yahoo

"Citing people familiar with the discussions, Bloomberg on Wednesday reported that Boeing and Chinese officials tasked with negotiating new commercial airplane orders with the likes of Boeing and Airbus have been discussing orders for as many as 100 twin-aisle 787 Dreamliners as well as 777X planes, Boeing's newest long-range aircraft.."

Sooner787

Re: Boeing in Negotiations With China for Largest-Ever Jetliner Order - Report

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:26 pm

With the current trade climate between China and the USA, this is Airbus' order to lose.

ikolkyo

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:28 pm

Boeing is due for a large Chinese order but DC isn’t making things easy.

RawSushi

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:28 pm

Incentive for Trump to stop the trade war. These orders probably only goes through as an integral part of the new trade deal.

Avgeek21

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:30 pm

Isn’t the current trade deficit around $400bn? China needs to buy a lot of US aircraft to make a dent in that. Even though the deficit is shrinking. Politics, politics, politics. This time a round to Boeing, next week it’s Airbus.

grbauc

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:48 pm

RawSushi wrote:
Incentive for Trump to stop the trade war. These orders probably only goes through as an integral part of the new trade deal.

Why there’s no reason to stop it now. It’s probably part of bargaining chips. it’s just as important for China to come to a conclusion to the trade war.

Many act like it’s just one-sided issue. So much chicken little afraid oh god oh god oh god this trade war oh my oh my.

Fear is so much better for clicks and new stories rather than truth and the truth of the matter is it’s in the best interest of both countries To come to a conclusion. 419 billion in 2018. We stand in a powerful position, there is going to be some fear and jitters but in the big picture it will be a big plus.

Presidents don’t want to attack this issue due to the fact that we live on a four and eight year plan China’s on the hundred year plan looking forward to the future we’re on 4year short term plans.

I think it would be an amazing order for Boeing and I hope that this could help be a chip to ease tensions and get a conclusion to this.

it’s going to happen (it will end) eventually it’s just a matter of when how much is achieved.

grbauc

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Avgeek21 wrote:
Isn’t the current trade deficit around $400bn? China needs to buy a lot of US aircraft to make a dent in that. Even though the deficit is shrinking. Politics, politics, politics. This time a round to Boeing, next week it’s Airbus.

Trade deficit was 317 billion in 2017 and it went up to 419 billion in 2018.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:56 pm

grbauc wrote:
RawSushi wrote:

Why there’s no reason to stop it now. It’s probably part of bargaining chips. it’s just as important for China to come to a conclusion to the trade war.

Many act like it’s just one-sided issue. So much chicken little afraid oh god oh god oh god this trade war oh my oh my.

Fear is so much better for clicks and new stories rather than truth and the truth of the matter is it’s in the best interest of both countries To come to a conclusion. 419 billion in 2018. We stand in a powerful position, there is going to be some fear and jitters but in the big picture it will be a big plus.

Presidents don’t want to attack this issue due to the fact that we live on a four and eight year plan China’s on the hundred year plan looking forward to the future we’re on 4year short term plans.

I think it would be an amazing order for Boeing and I hope that this could help be a chip to ease tensions and get a conclusion to this.

it’s going to happen (it will end) eventually it’s just a matter of when how much is achieved.

One thing I appreciate about a Chinese order over an ME3 order is that they take delivery of their planes. They don't keep coming back and screwing around with A and B. Gotta give them that.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

BlatantEcho

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:13 pm

100 wide bodies. Whoa!

Could be a huge boost to 777X if it includes some.

grbauc

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:16 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
grbauc wrote:
RawSushi wrote:

One thing I appreciate about a Chinese order over an ME3 order is that they take delivery of their planes. They don't keep coming back and screwing around with A and B. Gotta give them that.

I negotiate in my job and notice different styles and norms from different regions. What we value has a negative is not so in different places.

Checklist787

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:56 pm

100 Widebody jets!
China is a very important market for Boeing and Airbus.

IMHO, the 777-X seems a perfect fit for Chinese, and Asian market
Last edited by Checklist787 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c933103

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Maybe 100 CR929 if Russia agree to give China the concessions they want in the project
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

musman9853

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:11 pm

this would probably already have gone through if it was not for the trade war escalation. this was rumored back when a trade deal and an end to the trade war was expected a few months ago.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:05 pm

musman9853 wrote:
this would probably already have gone through if it was not for the trade war escalation. this was rumored back when a trade deal and an end to the trade war was expected a few months ago.

Much of the reason China orders the way they do is to be able to leverage those massive orders for the bigger picture. There will ALWAYS be orders in jeopardy if there’s a political kerfuffle.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:10 pm

grbauc wrote:
Avgeek21 wrote:

One way or another the deficit must decrease. Bummer Boeing is caught in the middle.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Sooner787

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:10 pm

What ever happened to the home grown wide body jet the Chinese were working on?

Bricktop

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:20 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
With the current trade climate between China and the USA, this is Airbus' order to lose.

ikolkyo wrote:
Boeing is due for a large Chinese order but DC isn’t making things easy.

100% disagree. This is exactly the way the game is played.

grbauc wrote:

I agree. The US's idea of a "long game" is typically until the next Congressional election, i.e. 2 years. Now there's actually a surprising amount of bipartisanship in re China and tariffs between Donnie, Chuck and Nancy. That doesn't mean that BCA is walking away with 100 widebodies any day now, but a deal will be done as part of The Big Picture. But let's keep it real, with China it's a politics game, and I am sure Airbus will be given a bone of similar value soon as well. Only the diehard fanboys think it's merit for their side, but politics when the other guy gets an order.

NameOmitted

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:29 pm

lightsaber wrote:
One way or another the deficit must decrease. Bummer Boeing is caught in the middle.

Why? Our two economies are not in isolation. Money flows around the globe.

A trade deficit now simply means we, as a country, is utilizing more purchasing power than China.

jomur

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Sooner787 wrote:

Probably just reverse engineer one of all those new 777x'z or 787s.....

zeke

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:57 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Bummer Boeing is caught in the middle.

Beoing is a global company, they could choose to setup another FAL anywhere to get away from these issues. A percentage of the aircraft are already made overseas.

This is their choice, they are not a victim.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Polot

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 pm

zeke wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Bummer Boeing is caught in the middle.

Beoing is a global company, they could choose to setup another FAL anywhere to get away from these issues. A percentage of the aircraft are already made overseas.

This is their choice, they are not a victim.

Not sure that would actually matter all that much with China. It’s not just about any tariff on the products, but the appearance of placing a large order from a high profile US corporation during the trade war. We are talking about the Chinese government making an order here. If tariffs were what was stopping them from ordering they would not apply them to aircraft.

zeke

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:31 pm

They could choose to have a FAL in China, Japan, Korea if it was important to them.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

downdata

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:40 pm

Avgeek21 wrote:

What does trade deficits have to do with anything? If they stop trading the deficit will be zero and everyone in both countries will go back 20 years in development. The US is an advanced economy with high living standards that doesn’t need to produce things like shoes and clothing and manufacture furnitures and basic intermediate materials.

Unless your version of a fair economy is half of american people working in sweatshops like Foxconn, stop talking about the deficit like it means anything.

Polot

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:41 pm

zeke wrote:
They could choose to have a FAL in China, Japan, Korea if it was important to them.

That doesn’t solve the fundamental issue.

B1168

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 pm

100 787 Dreamliner? They already have a ton of 787s and other widebodies in possession. I can’t think of any airline whose large fleet of widebody need imminent replacement other than Delta airlines...JK, no Chinese airline need too much widebodies other than to replace early A330 batch, which Airbus is more likely to seize.

zeke

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:56 pm

Pirated Microsoft software, what about the Microsoft software sold via Ireland so Microsoft does not need to declare and pay tax in the US ?

Boeing is a global company, I have little sympathy in this argument. They have plants in many countries, no reason they could not have a FAL.

Seems like poor corporate contingency planning.

Antarius

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:00 am

zeke wrote:
Pirated Microsoft software, what about the Microsoft software sold via Ireland so Microsoft does not need to declare and pay tax in the US ?

Boeing is a global company, I have little sympathy in this argument. They have plants in many countries, no reason they could not have a FAL.

Seems like poor corporate contingency planning.

You keep repeating this FAL thing like it actually matters.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN DEN DOH BLR MAA KTM YYZ MEX

jfk777

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:05 am

China will order the 777-9 for expansion, the big 3 airlines have fairly new 77W fleets so replacements are years away. 787-10 could work nicely for them, they can reach many destinations in Europe and Australia plus regional flights. Hope it happens

zeke

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:11 am

Antarius wrote:

You keep repeating this FAL thing like it actually matters.

It does, China places a large importance on symbolic gestures even if it means no real change to the way things work.

For example they made every airline that operates into China remove Republic of China from their websites.

EvanWSFO

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:20 am

45 can turn this into a "win" for himself if this goes through. 100 widebodies is a lot of jobs. Then again...
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

grbauc

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:22 am

Sooner787 wrote:

Id guess its coming also... China needs are eminence and even though I believe this is part of the bargaining I believe they need them and will use them.

Stitch

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:25 am

Antarius wrote:
...keep repeating this FAL thing like it actually matters.

Airbus has an A320 FAL and an A330 Completion Center in China and Boeing opened a 737 Completion Center there.

Neither did so because they were hurting for space in their current CCs and FALs. They did so because it had direct business benefit to them in generating orders for those families placed by the China Aviation Supplies Holding Company on behalf of Chinese air carriers.

As to the rumored order, President Xi Jinping has been in discussions for an official State Visit to the United States and China often will announce such an order/LoI/MoU as part of such an event.

Polot

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:30 am

Whether the order gets announced depends on what happens with trade negotiations. If both sides come to a deal China will announce the deal and Trump will taut how he came up with this incredible trade deal and how US companies (Boeing) are now benefiting blah blah blah.

If no trade agreement deal gets pocketed until later. Obviously in the mean time Boeing and China will be negotiating to ensure China has slots lined up.

Bricktop

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:32 am

Stitch wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Airbus has an A320 FAL and an A330 Completion Center in China and Boeing opened a 737 Completion Center there.

Neither did so because they were hurting for space in their current CCs and FALs. They did so because it had direct business benefit to them in generating orders for those families placed by the China Aviation Supplies Holding Company on behalf of Chinese air carriers.

As to the rumored order, President Xi Jinping has been in discussions for an official State Visit to the United States and China often will announce such an order/LoI/MoU as part of such an event.

Didn't Airbus (via Macron) offer China an A380 completion center? How did that work out?

As I said, it's all Big Picture stuff. And of course, it will be trumpeted (SWIDT?) many times over.

Stitch

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:40 am

Bricktop wrote:
Didn't Airbus (via Macron) offer China an A380 completion center? How did that work out?

The A380 didn't work for China. The A330 and A320 did.

Bricktop wrote:
As I said, it's all Big Picture stuff. And of course, it will be trumpeted (SWIDT?) many times over.

Indeed. We'll be dissecting it on this forum for years, probably, just as we have done with the other large orders China had placed with Airbus and Boeing.

trex8

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:40 am

Stitch wrote:
[

IIRC pundits said the A330 completion center was very helpful in alleviating A350 bottlenecks as A330 and A350 use same completion facilities at TLS.

caljn

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:06 am

RawSushi wrote:

Indeed. Yet again fixing a problem of his own creation and then taking credit.

Antarius

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:09 am

Stitch wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Airbus definitely had space issues at TLS.

The broader point is, if tariffs and a trade war were the limiting factor for an order, a FAL IN China wouldnt alleviate that.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN DEN DOH BLR MAA KTM YYZ MEX

Bricktop

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 am

caljn wrote:
RawSushi wrote:

Don’t be silly. This problem existed before 2016. It’s just that no one did anything substantial about it. There is bipartisan agreement that it’s an issue, but feel free to regurgitate the same vacuous talking points.

caljn

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:10 am

Bricktop wrote:
caljn wrote:
RawSushi wrote:

Don’t be silly. This problem existed before 2016. It’s just that no one did anything substantial about it. There is bipartisan agreement that it’s an issue, but feel free to regurgitate the same vacuous talking points.

Yes, I have great confidence in his negotiating finesse with the Chinese, who he likes very, very, much.

behramjee

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:21 am

Currently in mainland China a total of 64 B77Ws are operating ie 28 for CA, 20 for MU and 16 for CZ each respectively.

Majority of these 64 B77Ws are less than 10 years old so I doubt that they will all be replaced with this order for B779s. At the very most I expect an order for 30 B779s with the remainder being a mix for 20 B781s + 50 B789s.

Delta28L

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:32 am

behramjee wrote:
Currently in mainland China a total of 64 B77Ws are operating ie 28 for CA, 20 for MU and 16 for CZ each respectively.

Majority of these 64 B77Ws are less than 10 years old so I doubt that they will all be replaced with this order for B779s. At the very most I expect an order for 30 B779s with the remainder being a mix for 20 B781s + 50 B789s.

There will be 777Xs being sold to China to keep the balance of Boeing and Airbus pretty even and also for political reasoning. The 787s would be a good compensation package for the airlines due to the 737 MAX grounding. Also there’s plenty of A330s need replacing soon so even more opportunities for the 787 to be sold.

Bobloblaw

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:35 am

Sooner787 wrote:

No, more likely an attempt to diffuse trade tensions

Bobloblaw

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:40 am

downdata wrote:
Avgeek21 wrote:

What does trade deficits have to do with anything? If they stop trading the deficit will be zero and everyone in both countries will go back 20 years in development. The US is an advanced economy with high living standards that doesn’t need to produce things like shoes and clothing and manufacture furnitures and basic intermediate materials.

Unless your version of a fair economy is half of american people working in sweatshops like Foxconn, stop talking about the deficit like it means anything.

Going back in time to before China was in the WTO would be a huge gain for the USA. 3.5 million jobs were lost to China between 2001 and 2007. Most of what the USA imports from China isn’t built by Chinese companies but by US companies that outsourced production to China. Ditto Mexico

Jouhou

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:02 am

lightsaber wrote:
grbauc wrote:
Avgeek21 wrote:

Hey,the trade deficit will be zero when there's zero trade right? So much winning.

kitplane01

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:36 am

Avgeek21 wrote:

Educate me. Has Europe been in a trade war with China recently, or even within the last 20 years? A trade war with tariff increases and retaliation?
I'm not trying to start a political debate, but I don't think your recollection of history is correct (though I'm always willing to be educated).

YIMBY

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:41 am

lightsaber wrote:
grbauc wrote:
Avgeek21 wrote:

There is no reason why a bilateral deficit must decrease. It can be compensated by surplus elsewhere. That is how global economy works.
In the long run the total cumulative multilateral deficit must and will be zero.

In any case it is US that benefits from the deficit, not China, when you think in terms of real economy.

aryonoco

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:31 am

This thread is quickly turning into a politics discussion around China, Trump, WTO rules, trade deficits and their meanings, etc.

I reckon the mods should close it until there is an actual order, or something more tangible regarding civil aviation.

In the meantime, these topics can be discussed in the non-aviation section.

upperdeckfan

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:35 am

Don't you get tired of the "largest-ever order" being talked about so often???
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

Checklist787

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:05 am

upperdeckfan wrote:
Don't you get tired of the "largest-ever order" being talked about so often???

The Chinese market is huuuuge!

And we are talking about 100 Widebody jets!
It's not nothing... :shakehead:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos