LaunchDetected

Re: Boeing in Negotiations With China for Largest-Ever Jetliner Order - Report

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:30 am

There is "deal of the century" every year. And the same deal is announced 3 times:

1 - When the MoU is signed
2 - By the president during diplomatic visit
3 - When the real order is finally signed

And when it's a chinese airline you can even add another one annoucement by dissociating "Undisclosed Customer" from the real airline.
Caravelle lover

Aither

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:55 am

The 777-9X for China does not make any sense. The revenues from China of the additional seats versus the A350-1000 are too low to compensate for the additional trip cost. If it happens, it's a purely a political deal that's for sure.
Never trust the obvious

Bobloblaw

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:52 pm

kitplane01 wrote:
Avgeek21 wrote:
Isn’t the current trade deficit around $400bn? China needs to buy a lot of US aircraft to make a dent in that. Even though the deficit is shrinking. Politics, politics, politics. This time a round to Boeing, next week it’s Airbus.

Educate me. Has Europe been in a trade war with China recently, or even within the last 20 years? A trade war with tariff increases and retaliation?
I'm not trying to start a political debate, but I don't think your recollection of history is correct (though I'm always willing to be educated).

Europe seems less concerned about their IP being stolen. I also think Europe hasn’t seen an outflow or european corporations leaving the EU, set up factories in China then exporting back to the EU. Your question is a good one though

Bricktop

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Aither wrote:
The 777-9X for China does not make any sense. The revenues from China of the additional seats versus the A350-1000 are too low to compensate for the additional trip cost. If it happens, it's a purely a political deal that's for sure.

It's a political deal either way, Boeing or Airbus. They will figure out a way to use them just as they did with CZ's A388s and CA's B748s. Maybe sub-optimal, but it's the long game, vs the fanboy's 30 seconds of chortling at the other guy.

zakuivcustom

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:15 pm

Aither wrote:

It's definitely all politics. But Trip Cost? When did CN3 (mainly) care about cost anyway?

Bricktop wrote:
It's a political deal either way, Boeing or Airbus. They will figure out a way to use them just as they did with CZ's A388s and CA's B748s. Maybe sub-optimal, but it's the long game, vs the fanboy's 30 seconds of chortling at the other guy.

To be fair, CZ actually wanted the A388 (Mainly for prestige, of course). CA's B748s is a little bit more political in a sense that they were dual-roled as China's "Air Force One" (Before CA turn one of the 748s into a dedicated "AF One")

Plus, come on, according to A380 fanbois on a.net, China should have ordered 100+ A380 to fly on domestic routes. :duck:

raylee67

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:34 pm

It is hard to see how such a high profile order will materialize unless there is a comprehensive trade deal. China will still order from Boeing without the trade deal but it would not be at this magnitude. And they will order the planes quietly.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 351 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

Elementalism

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:28 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
One way or another the deficit must decrease. Bummer Boeing is caught in the middle.

Why? Our two economies are not in isolation. Money flows around the globe.

A trade deficit now simply means we, as a country, is utilizing more purchasing power than China.

Yup and offshoring less efficient parts of our economy. Meaning people can buy those products cheaper and have more money in their pocket. Having a trade deficit is not a bad thing.

FlyingElvii

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
With the current trade climate between China and the USA, this is Airbus' order to lose.

This has “ Political leverage” written all over it.

Aesma

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:03 pm

grbauc wrote:
Many act like it’s just one-sided issue. So much chicken little afraid oh god oh god oh god this trade war oh my oh my.

Fear is so much better for clicks and new stories rather than truth and the truth of the matter is it’s in the best interest of both countries To come to a conclusion. 419 billion in 2018. We stand in a powerful position, there is going to be some fear and jitters but in the big picture it will be a big plus.

Presidents don’t want to attack this issue due to the fact that we live on a four and eight year plan China’s on the hundred year plan looking forward to the future we’re on 4year short term plans.

You give the argument then the counter argument. China will never want to appear to lose against Trump. As long as Trump is so virulent, a deal will not happen. China can wait two or six more years, and retaliate, stopping rare earth exports for example. Xi will be there long after Trump is gone.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:
Avgeek21 wrote:
Isn’t the current trade deficit around $400bn? China needs to buy a lot of US aircraft to make a dent in that. Even though the deficit is shrinking. Politics, politics, politics. This time a round to Boeing, next week it’s Airbus.

Educate me. Has Europe been in a trade war with China recently, or even within the last 20 years? A trade war with tariff increases and retaliation?
I'm not trying to start a political debate, but I don't think your recollection of history is correct (though I'm always willing to be educated).

Europe seems less concerned about their IP being stolen. I also think Europe hasn’t seen an outflow or european corporations leaving the EU, set up factories in China then exporting back to the EU. Your question is a good one though

EU vs China is very similar, except that some EU countries manage to export to China much better than US companies, so the deficit is smaller. Also, the flow of offshoring has stopped, as Chinese salaries have gone up a lot, now Eastern European countries are cheaper than China.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:31 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
downdata wrote:
Avgeek21 wrote:

What does trade deficits have to do with anything? If they stop trading the deficit will be zero and everyone in both countries will go back 20 years in development. The US is an advanced economy with high living standards that doesn’t need to produce things like shoes and clothing and manufacture furnitures and basic intermediate materials.

Unless your version of a fair economy is half of american people working in sweatshops like Foxconn, stop talking about the deficit like it means anything.

Going back in time to before China was in the WTO would be a huge gain for the USA. 3.5 million jobs were lost to China between 2001 and 2007. Most of what the USA imports from China isn’t built by Chinese companies but by US companies that outsourced production to China. Ditto Mexico

The companies would just move to Vietnam or Bangladesh, then.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Aesma wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:

EU vs China is very similar, except that some EU countries manage to export to China much better than US companies, so the deficit is smaller. Also, the flow of offshoring has stopped, as Chinese salaries have gone up a lot, now Eastern European countries are cheaper than China.

At this stage, I'd rather see more jobs head south to Mexico and less across the ocean to Asia. Lifting up the Mexican economy can't hurt.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

BestWestern

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:43 pm

Huawei.

China will extract a pretty dollar for what’s going on here.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

behramjee

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:33 pm

I am very surprised that amongst the big 3 Chinese carriers they combined operate only 20 B77Fs i.e. 8 for CA + 12 for CZ whilst MU has 0.

Considering how big all 3 cities (PEK PVG CAN) are for cargo, I would have expected them to combine operate at least 35-40 B77Fs by now. Ideally I feel they should have at least 15-20 B77Fs each by 2025.

I hope at least 10 B77Fs constitute a part of this upcoming mega order.

Bobloblaw

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:41 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

At this stage, I'd rather see more jobs head south to Mexico and less across the ocean to Asia. Lifting up the Mexican economy can't hurt.

Nafta was suppose to do that. It didn’t. Mexican gdp has grown slower in the 25 years since nafta than before and illegal immigration actually increased after nafta

grbauc

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:16 pm

Aesma wrote:
grbauc wrote:
Many act like it’s just one-sided issue. So much chicken little afraid oh god oh god oh god this trade war oh my oh my.

Fear is so much better for clicks and new stories rather than truth and the truth of the matter is it’s in the best interest of both countries To come to a conclusion. 419 billion in 2018. We stand in a powerful position, there is going to be some fear and jitters but in the big picture it will be a big plus.

Presidents don’t want to attack this issue due to the fact that we live on a four and eight year plan China’s on the hundred year plan looking forward to the future we’re on 4year short term plans.

You give the argument then the counter argument. China will never want to appear to lose against Trump. As long as Trump is so virulent, a deal will not happen. China can wait two or six more years, and retaliate, stopping rare earth exports for example. Xi will be there long after Trump is gone.

I don't believe they care if they give Trump credit/win or not they control the information to there people. I personally don't believe they want to wait 2 are 6 years. China has already put out information that they can go on a buying spree and erase much of the deficit back in JAN.

"As long as Trump is so virulent" I don't believe virulent is correct but to I think your point Negotiations tactics (especially Trump) stand far to the side of your position so you can compromise and meet in you're middle.

Again I believe It's in both Countries Best interest to do a deal.

[img][https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-18/china-is-said-to-offer-path-to-eliminate-u-s-trade-imbalance/img]

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -imbalance

smartplane

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:29 pm

China is an extremely strategic purchaser.

Their airlines alone don't make multi-billion dollar purchase decisions.

The order will dangle, just out of reach, until the US elect a different President.

Checklist787

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:35 pm

Aither wrote:

Your comment is unfounded. On the contrary they are preparing to commit an order of 777-X which will be added to the current 777-300ER... :bigthumbsup:

PlanesNTrains

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:45 pm

smartplane wrote:
China is an extremely strategic purchaser.

Their airlines alone don't make multi-billion dollar purchase decisions.

The order will dangle, just out of reach, until the US elect a different President.

Six years is a long time to wait to order these planes. They might as well order Airbus then.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos