AC77X
Topic Author

Air Canada Cargo to use Drones

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:39 pm

Air Canada Cargo is teaming up with Drone Delivery Canada to use drones to transport cargo. The drones range from carrying 10 lbs to 400 lbs. AC cargo will market and sell the drone delivery service and the drones will fly across 150,000 routes in Canada. AC Cargo has agreed to not use any other drone operator.

Drone Delivery Canada was made in 2014 and went public in 2016 and has plans to team up with American and European companies as well as AC Cargo. DDC also plan to enter other markets including health care, oil/gas, construction, forestry, mining, and a few more. In the end, they would like to reach 1,000 Canadian communities and take 20% of the market shares over the next 5 years.

More info will come once they are approved by Transport Canada.

Source: https://business.financialpost.com/tran ... ments-area

nc3rd

Re: Air Canada Cargo to use Drones

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:51 pm

One step closer to the end of manned aircraft. Not something to be celebrated.
The views written above are mine and mine alone and do not represent any official information from any airline or company

AC77X
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:05 am

nc3rd wrote:

Indeed. I believe they had ordered 2 B77Fs but cancelled the orders later. At least now AC Cargo will actually have a "fleet".

AC77X
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:25 am

The initial term of the agreement is 10 years long. The routes are all agreed upon by both DDC and AC. AC believes that this will revolutionize the cargo industry.

https://www.northernontariobusiness.com ... go-1488694

ramprat320

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:15 am

I don’t want to be under the flight path of a drone carrying 400lbs of cargo

Karlsands

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:21 am

AC77X wrote:
nc3rd wrote:

Indeed. I believe they had ordered 2 B77Fs but cancelled the orders later. At least now AC Cargo will actually have a "fleet".

For Cargo perhaps, for humans not close.

alasizon

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:38 am

AC77X wrote:
More info will come once they are approved by Transport Canada.

So, never. I can't imagine that TC will give approval for drones to operate commercially into and out of an airfield for a long time (20+ years).
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

basspaul

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Drones are going revolutionize how the many isolated villages in the north are connected to the developed south. The cost and time savings possible for smaller deliveries will be huge. Reducing the cost of living for those villages will only help those there who are often poor.

AC77X
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:09 pm

basspaul wrote:
Drones are going revolutionize how the many isolated villages in the north are connected to the developed south. The cost and time savings possible for smaller deliveries will be huge. Reducing the cost of living for those villages will only help those there who are often poor.

I agree. I wonder how many drones are needed to fly the 150,000 routes...

ER757

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:22 pm

basspaul wrote:

This is where their strength is - making deliveries to rural, sparsely populated areas. In densely populated urban areas, the traditional delivery van/truck is much more practical - one vehicle can carry many, many deliveries. But to outer points, where there may only be a single small shipment or two, it's highly inefficient to send a large vehicle many miles (or kilometers for most of the world) outside a commercial zone. Of course, for large, heavy cargo, drones are not going to work, at least not until heavy-lift lighter than air blimp-type drones come to market (currently being developed).

RichardWelling

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:12 am

AC77X wrote:
nc3rd wrote:

They also has freighter capacity with Cargojet but that was short lived.

LightningZ71

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Also, when looking at this, it seems obvious that this is also a "proof of concept" setup in near ideal safety conditions. Almost all of the delivery routes that would connect the major distribution points available in Canada to the smaller towns and villages throughout the great white north are almost entirely devoid of human life. This gives them low liability pathways for these drones to travel from point to point. With remote management of the drones, they can be easily tracked and forced to land if they deviate from the predicted flight path. This can be used to build up "safe" flight hours for the system to win later regulatory approval AND manageable insurance rates for future operations in populated areas.

And, yes, this is a danger for future manned flight. As these systems prove themselves in cargo operations, they will be laying the groundwork for use in passenger aircraft. I predict that, in about a decade, you'll begin to see the industry moving towards normalizing passenger flights in the 50 seats and under range that have only one pilot on board with the pilot having the job of monitoring the flight operations while the computer does all the flying. To keep his/her proficiency, they will be required to make at least two "in the loop" flights a week ( or some similar number). This will serve to help make those types of flights more economical AND keep risk manageable for insurance carriers to be on board with the concept. After several years of this, it'll likely move into the 75 passenger range. I think, though, that it will be a VERY long time before this makes penetration into the mainline 100+ seat market as pilot costs begin to reduce as a portion of the total per-flight costs to the point where the difference in insurance costs will make it moot. Maybe much farther in the future, once there is a long, safe track record of smaller operations, you'll begin to see mainline flights served by single pilot cockpits.

n6238p

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:11 pm

I know a lot of people are concerned with drones but their operation doesn’t fare too well in anything other than good weather. No one seems to ever take in account this little tidbit. I can’t imagine a full time system taking over anything when it’s only has part time capabilities. Imagine getting the notification “sorry your package is delayed due to a four days of light rain and high winds.”
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

AC77X
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 pm

About these rural and far away areas, many of them are in ice cold conditions where there are many storms and violent weather. How will a drone manage to fight through this? Also, while I can see some logic behind the pilotless concepts of some aircraft, I still believe that the pilots should always be there to monitor and command the flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos