User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:27 am

AirAsia just tweeted that they're coming to New York soon. Even tagged jetBlue, to which they cheekily replied.

So, lets start the speculation going - will it be a Trans-Pacific service via Japan? Or will they return to London, and go Trans-Atlantic?

https://twitter.com/AirAsia/status/1136 ... 89696?s=09
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6486
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:39 am

With what aircraft :?: If the A339, IST is almost at midpoint and would not tax the plane as much...although fifth freedom pax may not be a lot..... :airplane: .....
Last edited by Devilfish on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
filipinoavgeek
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:18 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:46 am

Do they still have the A350 order? I don't think the A330neo can go very far from KUL, let alone transpacific right?
 
YYZORD
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:48 am

I'm surprised they wouldn't start LAX, SFO, and YVR before JFK.
 
ITSTours
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:53 am

It just seems like AirAsia FAs flew jetBlue aircraft. Doesn't mean AirAsia will fly JFK soon.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2091
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:59 am

ITSTours wrote:
It just seems like AirAsia FAs flew jetBlue aircraft. Doesn't mean AirAsia will fly JFK soon.

Quite. Thank you for having common sense amidst all the excitement!
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:03 am

ITSTours wrote:
It just seems like AirAsia FAs flew jetBlue aircraft. Doesn't mean AirAsia will fly JFK soon.


In the age of social media and people jumping to conclusions, it is absolutely ridiculous to think that their PR dept didn't intentionally plan this to draw attention and generate some buzz. Nobody posts stuff like this just because anymore.
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:14 am

This rumour is about as likely as JetBlue starting JFK-SYD, Virgin Australia doing SYD-LHR and WestJet doing YYZ-HKG. :roll:
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:12 am

I honestly find it hard to believe that AirAsia would be tweeting this just because their stewardesses flew with B6.

It's not like they're announcing non-stops from KUL. Remember their HNL flights stops in KIX.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
bhxalex
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:40 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:38 am

They don't have a KUL/DMK-JFK capable aircraft currently, neither do they have a capable aircraft on order.

Even if it were a one-stop, LAX, SFO, SEA and even YVR would be more suitable candidates to launch first..

Non story, free publicity sure, but little else to infer.
Last edited by bhxalex on Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Arion640
Posts: 2372
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:42 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I honestly find it hard to believe that AirAsia would be tweeting this just because their stewardesses flew with B6.

It's not like they're announcing non-stops from KUL. Remember their HNL flights stops in KIX.


But look at the free PR it’s giving them.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:38 am

This is as believable as NK/F9 starting TPAC.
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:58 am

I believe that Tony Fernandes is speaking to investors - this is a finance trip.

The only aircraft they have on order that can do KUL/DMK/DPS to New York comfortably and making profits is the A359 (10 orders are still on Airbus' books). Delivery of this order is postponed indefinitely.

If they plan to go to New York, Airasia X may land in LAX/LAS and have some sort of agreement to transfer their pax to JetBlue.
 
juliuswong
Moderator
Posts: 1633
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:14 am

Tony Fernandes was in GE HQ to order new batch of engines... Their 1000th GE engine to be more specific. He brought along few of his cabin crew and PA. All of them flew commercial. Hence JetBlue flight.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
behramjee
Posts: 4931
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:01 am

flee wrote:
I believe that Tony Fernandes is speaking to investors - this is a finance trip.

The only aircraft they have on order that can do KUL/DMK/DPS to New York comfortably and making profits is the A359 (10 orders are still on Airbus' books). Delivery of this order is postponed indefinitely.

If they plan to go to New York, Airasia X may land in LAX/LAS and have some sort of agreement to transfer their pax to JetBlue.


Air Asia X has no aircraft capable of flying from KUL to any US city nonstop not even the A359 because it will be configured in a high density layout so with the extra weight on board, it’s not possible.
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:16 am

behramjee wrote:
flee wrote:
I believe that Tony Fernandes is speaking to investors - this is a finance trip.

The only aircraft they have on order that can do KUL/DMK/DPS to New York comfortably and making profits is the A359 (10 orders are still on Airbus' books). Delivery of this order is postponed indefinitely.

If they plan to go to New York, Airasia X may land in LAX/LAS and have some sort of agreement to transfer their pax to JetBlue.

Air Asia X has no aircraft capable of flying from KUL to any US city nonstop not even the A359 because it will be configured in a high density layout so with the extra weight on board, it’s not possible.

Correct - and they don't intend to do any non-stop flights to the US because they have no premium traffic. It is likely that they will use Japan as a stop before heading over to the US.
 
c933103
Posts: 3769
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:18 am

Is that going to be a route for AirAsia X Japan?
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:22 am

c933103 wrote:
Is that going to be a route for AirAsia X Japan?

Perhaps, in future as JAL's ZIP Air is going to be launched soon. AirAsia Japan is still in its infancy and any Airasia X Japan will have to compete against ZIP Air. It will be a strategic decision by the AirAsia X Group.

Right now, their only route to the US is the daily KUL-KIX-HNL run.
 
marcelh
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:23 am

flee wrote:
behramjee wrote:
flee wrote:
I believe that Tony Fernandes is speaking to investors - this is a finance trip.

The only aircraft they have on order that can do KUL/DMK/DPS to New York comfortably and making profits is the A359 (10 orders are still on Airbus' books). Delivery of this order is postponed indefinitely.

If they plan to go to New York, Airasia X may land in LAX/LAS and have some sort of agreement to transfer their pax to JetBlue.

Air Asia X has no aircraft capable of flying from KUL to any US city nonstop not even the A359 because it will be configured in a high density layout so with the extra weight on board, it’s not possible.

Correct - and they don't intend to do any non-stop flights to the US because they have no premium traffic. It is likely that they will use Japan as a stop before heading over to the US.

Nah, he will take the 260t B78X... :stirthepot:
 
c933103
Posts: 3769
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:17 pm

flee wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Is that going to be a route for AirAsia X Japan?

Perhaps, in future as JAL's ZIP Air is going to be launched soon. AirAsia Japan is still in its infancy and any Airasia X Japan will have to compete against ZIP Air. It will be a strategic decision by the AirAsia X Group.

Right now, their only route to the US is the daily KUL-KIX-HNL run.

If I recall correctly, both AirAsia and JAL Group have previously stated their desire to open routes to America with their respective long distance LCC brand, however both of them were only about West coast and not really related to New York.
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.
 
c933103
Posts: 3769
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:06 pm

flee wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Is that going to be a route for AirAsia X Japan?

Perhaps, in future as JAL's ZIP Air is going to be launched soon. AirAsia Japan is still in its infancy and any Airasia X Japan will have to compete against ZIP Air. It will be a strategic decision by the AirAsia X Group.

Right now, their only route to the US is the daily KUL-KIX-HNL run.

*Note: The KUL-KIX-HNL flight is operated by their Malaysian division and not really related to their operation in Japan, they indicated they have plan to get another AOC for AirAsia X Japan and started flying long haul low cost route out of Japan after they get AirAsia Japan operation on track and stabilize, but it doesn't seems like they have reached that state yet.
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.
 
NZ321
Posts: 1071
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:16 pm

This is pure nonsense. Why do we waste time on this sort of drivel? Bottom line is that AK do not have a plane and nor is there one in the workings that could heave the necessary fill of passengers between KUL and NYC and, even it it could, who'd want to take it? 9 abreast A339 from KUL through NRT to JFK? Forget it. This from an airline that has started and dropped multiple long distance routes in the past, and failed to establish itself as a long haul carrier, this is just rich hype and all the rest of that nonsense that AK engage in every day. If they really want to consider long haul, though, I agree that Jet Blue is a good place to start looking to get ideas. Chances of this one taking off? Zero IMHO. Let's focus on more productive places for discussion and let this one die in the dust of nonsense that comes out of this airline.
Plane mad!
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:24 pm

c933103 wrote:
*Note: The KUL-KIX-HNL flight is operated by their Malaysian division and not really related to their operation in Japan, they indicated they have plan to get another AOC for AirAsia X Japan and started flying long haul low cost route out of Japan after they get AirAsia Japan operation on track and stabilize, but it doesn't seems like they have reached that state yet.

Yes, that is correct. D7 is currently operating the route. However, under the oneAirasia project, they are managing all the AoCs in an integrated manner to cut costs and reduce duplication. So all Airasia AoCs will be under Airasia Group and the Airasia X AoCs will operate as Airasia X Group.

Things in Japan are going rather slowly - so I don't think that an Airasia X Japan will happen for at least 2 or 3 more years. Airasia Japan needs to build up a meaningful network first before they can think of operating long haul flights. I think Airasia X Philippines and India will likely come first.

Coming back on topic again, I think the Airasia team that is currently in NYC is really on other business. Flying to NYC is very low on their list of priorites.
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1467
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:28 pm

It doesn't make any sense that they would fly all the way to New York, if they don't even fly as far as Europe. Perhaps they could do it as a fifth freedom thing with a stop in London, Paris or Istanbul. That's the only way it makes sense.
 
juliuswong
Moderator
Posts: 1633
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 pm

NZ321 wrote:
This is pure nonsense. Why do we waste time on this sort of drivel? Bottom line is that AK do not have a plane and nor is there one in the workings that could heave the necessary fill of passengers between KUL and NYC and, even it it could, who'd want to take it? 9 abreast A339 from KUL through NRT to JFK? Forget it. This from an airline that has started and dropped multiple long distance routes in the past, and failed to establish itself as a long haul carrier, this is just rich hype and all the rest of that nonsense that AK engage in every day. If they really want to consider long haul, though, I agree that Jet Blue is a good place to start looking to get ideas. Chances of this one taking off? Zero IMHO. Let's focus on more productive places for discussion and let this one die in the dust of nonsense that comes out of this airline.

Whether you like it or not, nonsense or otherwise, AirAsia is indeed the pioneer of low cost In Asia be it short, medium or long haul (depends on how individual sees it). They revolutionised air travel in Asia by copying Ryanair and Southwest. Such "meaningless" drivel generates marketing hype which in turn generates buzz and sale leads for AirAsia Group. They are always the "fun" airline, same as when Virgin Atlantic was established. Since it's reincarnation, hundreds of low cost airlines have popped out in Asia alone. Even JL set up it's own LCC and CX bought HO. It shows their low cost works at least in short to medium haul. If you look at their cancelled long haul destinations, you find the same pattern....oil prices rocketed, forex in sh1t, profit margin anaemic hence the cancellation. LGW, ORY, AUK, AUH, THR etc. That doesn't stop them from mounting more flight into what they do best though.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
juliuswong
Moderator
Posts: 1633
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:37 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
It doesn't make any sense that they would fly all the way to New York, if they don't even fly as far as Europe. Perhaps they could do it as a fifth freedom thing with a stop in London, Paris or Istanbul. That's the only way it makes sense.

They will get slaughtered left, right and center by all incumbents if they dare to touch London,
Paris or Turkey. They won't even touch it tbh. Tony Fernandes mentioned earlier this year their aims this year are to stabilise long haul operation with induction of A339neo, rack up more flight to current destinations and introducing A321 for AirAsia, taking delivery of many new air plane while keeping capex and opex under control.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:59 pm

On the other hand, WN will start service to PEK soon.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:02 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
On the other hand, WN will start service to PEK soon.


A220 ANC-ZBAD?
 
NZ321
Posts: 1071
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Let them try. Good on them. I am eternally grateful for Air Asia Malaysia, frankly. Can't say I feel the same way about their affiliates but AK sure go about their business well and with a high level of consistency. I have noticed they struggle to maintain product consistency on routes over about 4+ hours. Hence I avoid them on medium-long haul and avoid the dreaded sardine can (A330 at 9 abreast). But each to their own. I still can't see the NYC service becoming a reality and therefore have misgivings about this announcement.
Plane mad!
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:24 pm

NZ321 wrote:
I still can't see the NYC service becoming a reality and therefore have misgivings about this announcement.

It wasn't an announcement from anyone.

It was a typical a.net thread based on heavy speculation!
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: RUMOUR: AirAsia X Starting New York?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:05 am

flee wrote:
NZ321 wrote:
I still can't see the NYC service becoming a reality and therefore have misgivings about this announcement.

It wasn't an announcement from anyone.

It was a typical a.net thread based on heavy speculation!


It maybe speculation, but based from what I've heard from an AirAsia insider, it may be closer to the truth than we outsiders might think!
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos