jetsetterusa
Topic Author

The first US Airline into BLQ!

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:14 am

Today American Airlines was the first US airline to fly into BLQ!

I don't know if this flight will last or not!! We will see!!!

https://www.facebook.com/crazydaytripper/videos/2754725664602905/
Crazy Day Tripper

Ishrion

Re: The first US Airline into BLQ!

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 am

It seems to have a lot of award space in business open last I heard... not so good.

FatCat

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:25 pm

sure central north italy lacks a direct connection with the u.s.
sure also the market is not so big... but connecting in fco either by plane or by car / train can be a real pain in the back zone, mxp also (by plane from blq or flr or psa not possible, by car it's a 5 hours trip, by train there is a high possibility of not catching the plane due to delays), vce is out of discussion.
usually we connect in muc (better than fra) from flr.
the delta psa flight wasn't that bad - and with a nice occupancy too (for a 752).
hope this will work.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

JAMBOJET

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:29 pm

What a great video! Say what you will about the inside of the AA 767s. It's such a pretty bird in AA's colors! I miss seeing them here regularly at ORD. The reconfigured UA 763s are great on the inside but the outside is so bland

DELTA777

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:34 pm

For selfish reasons, I hope PHL-BLQ does well. Anecdotally, fares seem to be higher than PHL-DBV but we all know fares and load factor only tell part of the story.

9w748capt

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:54 pm

I thought this was a bizarre add by AA. Given how infrequently they release saver J awards, that tells you how poorly this route is doing. I wouldn't be shocked if they replace this with PHL-NAP next year.

PixelPilot

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 pm

They have a lambo but no water salute?

chepos

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:35 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
They have a lambo but no water salute?

They did, green and red water salute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

toltommy

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Ishrion wrote:
It seems to have a lot of award space in business open last I heard... not so good.

You heard? Source? Not many J seats left this month, of course thats no indication if they were awards or paid. But if so few are still in inventory, sounds like there is good demand. Loads so far are strong.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

usflyer msp

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:41 pm

toltommy wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

You heard? Source? Not many J seats left this month, of course thats no indication if they were awards or paid. But if so few are still in inventory, sounds like there is good demand. Loads so far are strong.

It is pretty much well known that PHL-BLQ and PHL-TXL are not meeting expectations. Obviously, no one from AA is going to say that publically.

DLHAM

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:25 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
It is pretty much well known that PHL-BLQ and PHL-TXL are not meeting expectations. Obviously, no one from AA is going to say that publically.

Maybe they should have tried HAM instead of TXL. No DL and UA competition there.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

MIflyer12

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:29 pm

9w748capt wrote:
I thought this was a bizarre add by AA. Given how infrequently they release saver J awards, that tells you how poorly this route is doing. I wouldn't be shocked if they replace this with PHL-NAP next year.

If DL couldn't keep a 757 on JFK-Pisa in conjunction with Alitalia I don't see how a 767 can work PHL-BLQ but I'll give AA credit for trying.

strfyr51

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:38 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
toltommy wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

American is a Pace Maker for even HAVING flown there. If they do well? You can bet your Bippy that they'll be followed! You have to have some Moxie to be in route planning.
It's for damn sure Nobody on this board has ever done it!! And some expected the flight to be Oversold right out of the Box? Please!!

9w748capt

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:41 pm

DLHAM wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Maybe they should have tried HAM instead of TXL. No DL and UA competition there.

LOL HAM? Is there a bunch of secret tourist traffic to HAM that no one else knows about? Maybe Steinway could support it lol.

FCOTSTW

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:51 pm

jetsetterusa wrote:
Today American Airlines was the first US airline to fly into BLQ!

I don't know if this flight will last or not!! We will see!!!

https://www.facebook.com/crazydaytripper/videos/2754725664602905/

I think it might.

The region between Bologna and Milan if very industrial and so far the only offering to the U.S. were flight from either MXP or VCE, both a few hours away. BLQ can dig from a very wealthy clientele within the 2-hour driving range. AA has basically taken the same opportunity that EK took for flights to the Middle East and beyond.

Good move AA!

FCOTSTW

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:04 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

If DL couldn't keep a 757 on JFK-Pisa in conjunction with Alitalia I don't see how a 767 can work PHL-BLQ but I'll give AA credit for trying.

JFK-PSA was strictly touristic, PHL-BLQ could be very business-oriented.

DLHAM

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:30 pm

9w748capt wrote:
DLHAM wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

LOL HAM? Is there a bunch of secret tourist traffic to HAM that no one else knows about? Maybe Steinway could support it lol.

Never knew AA was a tourist Airline ... :scratchchin:
My Instagram Account: Instagram

MalevTU134

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:44 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Except, how much of that business traffic goes to PHL? And if you have to transfer once anyway to get to NYC, WAS, CHI, et cetera, why use AA's clapped-out 767s, when you can transfer at FRA, AMS or CDG on significantly better soft and hard products offered by other airlines?

This question isn't specific to BLQ, of course, but bigger cities could actually have O/D traffic to PHL, but I imagine that Bologna, not very much.

9w748capt

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:28 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
FCOTSTW wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Except, how much of that business traffic goes to PHL? And if you have to transfer once anyway to get to NYC, WAS, CHI, et cetera, why use AA's clapped-out 767s, when you can transfer at FRA, AMS or CDG on significantly better soft and hard products offered by other airlines?

This question isn't specific to BLQ, of course, but bigger cities could actually have O/D traffic to PHL, but I imagine that Bologna, not very much.

It's not like every other airline is so much better. BA and their 8 abreast dorm? LH with it's barely edible food and playing footsie with a stranger?

Ishrion

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:26 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
FCOTSTW wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Pricing probably?

speedbird52

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:28 pm

9w748capt wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
FCOTSTW wrote:

It's not like every other airline is so much better. BA and their 8 abreast dorm? LH with it's barely edible food and playing footsie with a stranger?

LH Food is hit or miss personally. The food on the YVR route tends to be horrific, but my flights to Seattle all had decent catering

MalevTU134

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:08 am

9w748capt wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
FCOTSTW wrote:

We were talking J class. I guess you haven't "enjoyed" AA's 767s lately? My experience on LH in both J and F is of exquisite food.

jfk777

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:21 am

Love the Lamborghini "Follow Me" car, its worth watching the video just for that.

NearMiss

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:56 am

Cue the "Spaghetti alla Bolognese" jokes
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

IPFreely

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:08 am

usflyer msp wrote:

It's well known that a flight that has operated one day isn't meeting expectations? So much for taking you seriously.

usflyer msp

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:13 am

IPFreely wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

It's well known that a flight that has operated one day isn't meeting expectations? So much for taking you seriously.

Umm, Americans have already booked their flights to Europe for the summer, that is generally not a close-in demographic. if the advance bookings suck now, they will continue to be that way for the rest of the summer.

9w748capt

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:22 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

We were talking J class. I guess you haven't "enjoyed" AA's 767s lately? My experience on LH in both J and F is of exquisite food.

I've taken multiple J flights on the AA 767 but thanks for asking. As mediocre as it is, I manage to not stare at or play footsie with a stranger the whole flight. It's amazing. And you must have low standards for food. Nothing quite like a tasteless soup and salad - that's real class!

IPFreely

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:25 am

usflyer msp wrote:
Umm, Americans have already booked their flights to Europe for the summer, that is generally not a close-in demographic. if the advance bookings suck now, they will continue to be that way for the rest of the summer.

The flight was not announced that long ago. And BLQ is more of a business destination than a summer vacation destination (like FCO). Like I said, so much for taking you seriously.

usflyer msp

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:36 am

IPFreely wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

The flight was not announced that long ago. And BLQ is more of a business destination than a summer vacation destination (like FCO). Like I said, so much for taking you seriously.

Wrong. The flight was announced last August. They have had 9+ months to sell tickets.

For AA's purposes, BLQ is a summer leisure destination. That is the whole point of why they are flying the route for just 3.5 months.

9w748capt

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:49 am

usflyer msp wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Hah! My wife and I are the exception I guess. Last two times we went to Europe we booked 2 days in advance. Hooray for last minute J awards on AB while they lasted!

braniff2hav

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:51 am

I doubt anyone here really knows the booking stats, performance and yield. That's to come. From where I sit in the travel industry I can tell you that there is a lot of business traffic to this region, it's not just tourist. But from a tourist standpoint - the area is hot and in demand. American's job is to get the word out they can get you there conveniently. Super fast, luxury cars, it's the food basket of Italia, the world's best restaurant is located in Modena (per San Pellegrino), the student population in Bologna, it's close to Florence and Tuscany and nearby to Venice. The region is very interesting and can be worth a five day visit in my eyes and then continue on to Tuscany, Rome, Venice.. elsewhere. But, AA needs to market the hell out of it. I've yet to have anyone from AA step in the office, send an email, call or really see any advertising in trade publications - that's typical of the AA today. They want to rely on it showing up in the GDS or online - sad. The Emilia Romagna region is beautiful in the fall .. stunning and authentic. I hope the route survives for many years to come and perhaps goes year round.

IPFreely

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:51 am

usflyer msp wrote:
Wrong. The flight was announced last August. They have had 9+ months to sell tickets.

For AA's purposes, BLQ is a summer leisure destination. That is the whole point of why they are flying the route for just 3.5 months.

Tickets went on sale last August? Oh wait, they didn't. So you are, of course, wrong about 9 1/2 months of ticket sales. Like I said, you've obviously never been to BLQ or elsewhere in Italy, and you're not a poster to be taken seriously.

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:54 am

IPFreely wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Tickets went on sale last August? Oh wait, they didn't. So you are, of course, wrong about 9 1/2 months of ticket sales. Like I said, you've obviously never been to BLQ or elsewhere in Italy, and you're not a poster to be taken seriously.

Chill. They went on sale last August 27th.

He’s right about ~9 months of ticket sales.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

9w748capt

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:02 am

IPFreely wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

and you're not a poster to be taken seriously.

Quite frankly, it's just as hard to take your posts seriously. If BLQ is a business destination then why is the flight seasonal, and just 3x/week at that? Does that sound like a business destination to you?

usflyer msp

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:03 am

IPFreely wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

I'm not going to respond to you anymore on this but you are wrong.

Tickets went on Sale August 27th.

All of AA's marketing regarding this route has been about BLQ's food and and architecture. There might be an industrial base in BLQ but AA knows they are not going to start flyiing AA. They will continue to fly LH and AZ.

BTW, I've been to Italy 5x. Carry on...

flyboy7974

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:12 am

I was on the inaugural flight today out of BLQ today and enjoyed the gate festivities as well as the country band at the ticket counter which was an interesting choice for the new service.

Water cannon salute was red & blue water.

AA is using the flights as a gateway to Bologna, but also the Florence and Tuscany regions. While I enjoyed my time out walking Piazza Maggiore and visiting the Two Towers nearby, I also got a feel that Bologna itself was more of a financial area. Beautiful, but much different then my visits to other areas.

IPFreely

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:17 am

9w748capt wrote:
Quite frankly, it's just as hard to take your posts seriously. If BLQ is a business destination then why is the flight seasonal, and just 3x/week at that? Does that sound like a business destination to you?

Tourist destinations in Italy are FCO, VCE, and to some extent, MXP. The area around Bologna and Modena is Italy's strongest agricultural and manufacturing area and is home to Italy's automotive industry. Hence lots of business travel from other countries including the US. Why only 3x/week? It's a new route, many new routes are tested with smaller planes or lower frequencies.

Like I posted, usflyer msp has obviously hasn't been there thus does not know and is not to be taken seriously.

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:33 am

IPFreely wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Tourist destinations in Italy are FCO, VCE, and to some extent, MXP. The area around Bologna and Modena is Italy's strongest agricultural and manufacturing area and is home to Italy's automotive industry. Hence lots of business travel from other countries including the US. Why only 3x/week? It's a new route, many new routes are tested with smaller planes or lower frequencies.

Like I posted, usflyer msp has obviously hasn't been there thus does not know and is not to be taken seriously.

Sliding over the fact that you were wrong about the start of sales for the route while acting like you knew it all... nice.

If you read above, he said he’s been to Italy 5 times...

chepos

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:50 am

I suspect none of us have exact data how any of these new flights are doing. Yes, we can go off comments made on twitter, award availability, seat maps, etc, but it is speculation - which is what A.net is mostly about. We will have to wait and see if the route returns. I must say every summer is the same story. When DFW-AMS was launched, according to some here it was going to last one season. PHL-PRG/BUD was met with ever more dire predictions. ORD-VCE had award availability so it was sucking bad, so on so forth. It all needs to be taken with a grain of salt, only time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

9w748capt

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:52 am

IPFreely wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Oh I see. So do Italy's manufacturing and agricultural sectors cease operations in the fall/winter months? If this flight is targeted toward business travelers then surely those industries must shut down after the summer, right? And during the summer those industries operate only a few days per week? Is that right?

You really should refrain from insulting other posters when you clearly have no idea what you yourself are talking about. A summer only 3x/week business route .... hahahahhahahah I'm dying of laughter.

ETA: hilarious that you don't even get Italy's main tourist destinations correct. Rome, Florence and Venice dominate Italian tourism especially to first time visitors. Milan is the financial center, hence the business traffic.

acentauri

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:21 am

chepos wrote:
I suspect none of us have exact data how any of these new flights are doing. Yes, we can go off comments made on twitter, award availability, seat maps, etc, but it is speculation - which is what A.net is mostly about. We will have to wait and see if the route returns. I must say every summer is the same story. When DFW-AMS was launched, according to some here it was going to last one season. PHL-PRG/BUD was met with ever more dire predictions. ORD-VCE had award availability so it was sucking bad, so on so forth. It all needs to be taken with a grain of salt, only time will tell.

Your comment is much too logical for anet and particularly for this thread.. :biggrin:

IPFreely

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:02 pm

chepos wrote:
I suspect none of us have exact data how any of these new flights are doing.

You are correct. Which is why someone who posts this is not to be taken seriously:

usflyer msp wrote:

IPFreely

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:05 pm

Ishrion wrote:

His "knowledge" of Italy indicates otherwise. But you can believe what you want.

usflyer msp

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:52 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

His "knowledge" of Italy indicates otherwise. But you can believe what you want.

You can believe BLQ is a business route all you want but AA disagrees. Carriers do not launch 4x weekly summer seasonal business routes. AA's seasonal routes to Europe are all about taking American tourists to Europe. Sure, AA might get some business pax but that is not going to be a significant percentage of their traffic to/from BLQ. I get it, it is hard to accept being wrong sometimes, but you should not keep posting nonsense and lashing out.

Peace.

IPFreely

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:48 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I'm not going to respond to you anymore

And guess what? You're wrong again! Amazing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos