flyPIT
Topic Author

Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays and American Trans Air

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Does anyone know if Pleasant Holidays chartered these aircraft from ATA to exclusively operate flights for Pleasant Holidays, or were these liveries just to promote a marketing agreement they had with ATA for block seats on ATA's scheduled flights?

If it is the former, what were the routes?

FLYi

mandargb

Re: Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays and American Trans Air

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:25 pm

To my knowledge.
ATA did not sell seats on hawaii routes to end users.

Biscayne738

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:40 pm

Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays was a travel agent booking flights directly for mainland-Hawaii flights super cheap. Planes were painted strictly for marketing.

Aeroflot777

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Seeing those aircraft brought back some very pleasant memories, what a blast from the past! While I don't know the answer, thanks for a trip down memory lane.

timberwolf24

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Pleasant Hawaiian had the bulk of the seat and ATA did sell the remaining directly to the public. If I remember right it was about 20 to 30 seats, that is how Pleasant Hawaiian was able to market it as scheduled service and not charter. The same went for the MDW-LAS flights,MTI and Apple had the bulk but ATA did sell a handful of seats.
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

Yflyer

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:24 pm

mandargb wrote:
To my knowledge.
ATA did not sell seats on hawaii routes to end users.

I went to Hawaii back in 2005 and if I'm remembering correctly the cheapest option would have been ATA out of OAK. I didn't book it because it wasn't cheap enough to be worth the drive to OAK when I live near SMF, but I remember it coming up when I searched for flights. This was probably during the era when they codeshared with Southwest, so maybe that changed things.

superjeff

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:33 pm

ATA absolutely did sell seats directly to the public on their Hawaii routes. They were, however, as others have said here, primarily selling through Pleasant Hawaiian. Later on, they replaced the L1011's with 757-300's (which mostly ended up with Contnental after they failed)..

flyPIT
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:39 pm

Thanks for the answers.

timberwolf24 wrote:
Pleasant Hawaiian had the bulk of the seat and ATA did sell the remaining directly to the public. If I remember right it was about 20 to 30 seats, that is how Pleasant Hawaiian was able to market it as scheduled service and not charter. The same went for the MDW-LAS flights,MTI and Apple had the bulk but ATA did sell a handful of seats.

So even though it was a scheduled ATA route, in reality Pleasant Hawaiian set the schedules and routes?

Anyone remember what the routes were at the time?

I take it that the "Hawaii" tails were used throughout the ATA network when not being used for the Pleasant Hawaiian network?
FLYi

jaybird

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:04 pm

ATA was a charter carrier but they also had scheduled service - and had a fairly big presence at MDW. Travel agents were able to book and ticket ATA scheduled services just like any other scheduled carrier. I booked them for folks HNL-MDW quite a few times.

Pleasant Hawaiian (was? still is?) the largest tour company on packages to Hawaii. They offered reduced airfares on many airlines - ATA and United and perhaps others.

Chasensfo

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:08 pm

There were usually early morning departures to HNL and OGG from SFO with these birds returning at night, typical to most Hawaii flights at the time. The flights are listed in the OAG so I suppose they were scheduled but booked through the travel agency.

KanaHawaii

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:45 am

If I recall correctly, Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays was partnered up with ATA until the end of ATA in 2008. These days they don't do the partner up of a Vegas package with an exclusive plane to take you there. But Vacations Hawaii really filled in that gap with Omni's 767-200's from CO/UA being marketed heavily in Hawaii as Hawaii's direct access to Vegas. of course with that you get the whole Sam Boyd's package of staying at the California in Downtown and such.

wjcandee

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:05 am

The top plane, the -500, was used for nonstop flights from ORD and one of the NYC airports to HNL. Lasted a while but ultimately didn't work out so well. Pleasant Hawaiian wasn't as well known on the East Coast, and didn't generate the business at the prices it wanted to fill a smaller L1011.

TriStar500

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:29 am

Hate to correct you, but the top photo is a standard longbody TriStar.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

RWA380

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:43 am

jaybird wrote:
ATA was a charter carrier but they also had scheduled service - and had a fairly big presence at MDW. Travel agents were able to book and ticket ATA scheduled services just like any other scheduled carrier. I booked them for folks HNL-MDW quite a few times.

Pleasant Hawaiian (was? still is?) the largest tour company on packages to Hawaii. They offered reduced airfares on many airlines - ATA and United and perhaps others.

When we lived in Honolulu, we flew my Mother in-law over on TZ, flying MDW-PHX-HNL IIRC it was a 752, it was early December 1994 & she stayed six weeks & went back at end of January the same routing & that was an ARC issued ticket via the agency I worked for. I also recall seeing TZ's 757's here in Portland heading to Seattle & HNL/OGG in the early 90's. They even sold the PDX-SEA section via GDS.

Those photos are a blast from the past from when I lived in Honolulu. Our first three months living there was a vacation, just with my own car & apartment. I would go out to HNL at different times of day & night, I had bought my first & only video camera, but I wanted to play with it & had the best time at my new hometown airport, with the large amount of International traffic that criss-crossed via HNL to the Pacific. But the different domestic carriers were also interesting ie ... TW 747 & L-1011.

International the GA DC-10-30, MD-11 & 743 all came through at one time, routing DPS-CGK-BIK-HNL-LAX. I went out at 5am to catch the CO Island Hopper 72S leave at 6-7am,

I even interviewed on video a private aircraft pilot , who had just flown in from CXI & was operating a commercial flight, where the carriers one aircraft went tech & they chartered this aircraft to bring some fishermen who were ticketed, I need to watch it again.

I can not understand how it all happened, that in less than 2 minutes we went from behind the fence on the back end of the field, trying to see the aircraft between hangers & FBO & airline offices, we both had a nice time viewing & filming this private jet in a luxury passenger configuration with a dozen seats or so. I want to say it was ON or Air Nauru, I do forget, getting old ain't for sissies.

ATA was Huge in the Hawaii market, they had their own tour buses, There had been talk of them taking over a resort & add that to the Pleasant Hawaiian family. Our company owned Trans-Hawaiian bus company (the blue & white buses), it was a rough business to be in. JAL ran their fleet of buses too. The market got too segmented & political.

This was the ATA route map just before TZ folded. - http://www.departedflights.com/TZwinter2003.html

Here is a route map from a decade earlier - http://www.departedflights.com/TZ121794.html
Last edited by RWA380 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

MrBretz

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:50 am

Does this bring back memories. My first flight over to Hawaii was on Pleasant Hawaiian but my recollection is I was on a Pan Am Jet. Sometime in the Early 1980’s, I flew on a 747 with a Pleasant Hawaiian livery on it. I recall a green and yellow color back then. Are they still in business?

FX1816

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:08 pm

I flew ATA LAX-HNL-LAX in July of 1998. It was a package my parents had purchased from Pleasant Hawaiian. It was a nice flight both ways. We left LAX around 1030 and then arrived back at LAX 10 days later at around 2230.

FlyingElvii

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:59 pm

ATA would sub these for 727’s back and forth from LAS to Indy Maintenance often, sometimes with as short notice of two or three days. At times, they would add them as a last-minute extra segment, 1 or two days out, with a ridulous fare, sometimes $39 walkup. They would also add them Indy-MCO/RSW/FLL at peak times.

wjcandee

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:59 pm

TriStar500 wrote:
Hate to correct you, but the top photo is a standard longbody TriStar.

Yeah, you're right of course. I was looking at the livery rather than the door configuration and other indicators. I believe that the -500s used on the ultra-long-haul (for them) flights had a similar livery, with PHH and "Hawaii" on them. But of course there are the foibles of memory...

timz

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:15 pm

flyPIT wrote:
even though it was a scheduled ATA route

As I recall, the Pleas Haw Hol flights weren't scheduled enough to be in the OAG.

SUPER63DL

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:54 pm

RWA380 wrote:
jaybird wrote:

When we lived in Honolulu, we flew my Mother in-law over on TZ, flying MDW-PHX-HNL IIRC it was a 752, it was early December 1994 & she stayed six weeks & went back at end of January the same routing & that was an ARC issued ticket via the agency I worked for. I also recall seeing TZ's 757's here in Portland heading to Seattle & HNL/OGG in the early 90's. They even sold the PDX-SEA section via GDS.

Those photos are a blast from the past from when I lived in Honolulu. Our first three months living there was a vacation, just with my own car & apartment. I would go out to HNL at different times of day & night, I had bought my first & only video camera, but I wanted to play with it & had the best time at my new hometown airport, with the large amount of International traffic that criss-crossed via HNL to the Pacific. But the different domestic carriers were also interesting ie ... TW 747 & L-1011.

International the GA DC-10-30, MD-11 & 743 all came through at one time, routing DPS-CGK-BIK-HNL-LAX. I went out at 5am to catch the CO Island Hopper 72S leave at 6-7am,

I even interviewed on video a private aircraft pilot , who had just flown in from CXI & was operating a commercial flight, where the carriers one aircraft went tech & they chartered this aircraft to bring some fishermen who were ticketed, I need to watch it again.

I can not understand how it all happened, that in less than 2 minutes we went from behind the fence on the back end of the field, trying to see the aircraft between hangers & FBO & airline offices, we both had a nice time viewing & filming this private jet in a luxury passenger configuration with a dozen seats or so. I want to say it was ON or Air Nauru, I do forget, getting old ain't for sissies.

ATA was Huge in the Hawaii market, they had their own tour buses, There had been talk of them taking over a resort & add that to the Pleasant Hawaiian family. Our company owned Trans-Hawaiian bus company (the blue & white buses), it was a rough business to be in. JAL ran their fleet of buses too. The market got too segmented & political.

This was the ATA route map just before TZ folded. - http://www.departedflights.com/TZwinter2003.html

Here is a route map from a decade earlier - http://www.departedflights.com/TZ121794.html

Wow, some nice nostalgic info Thanks! I flew on ATA to HNL two times from LAX. First time was in 1986 I believe, with my brother Sam, continuing on to LIH on HA. The second time was 1994 to meet my dad in Kauai, favorite Island, Via OGG. I remember the intense sensation of the crosswind landing in OGG. Sitting in the front of the L-1011, on the port side, first or second row I don't remember exactly but we were "crabbin" to the extreme! I was so impressed with the landing that I went to the flight deck after we got to the gate and BS'ed with the crew for a few Minutes, Pre 911. plus the door was practically in front of me. then we headed to HNL. ATA/Pleasant Hawaiian had by far the best price at those two times. I always arrive to the airport early and the second trip in 94 paid off as I was one of the first to check in and get a Great seat! Very good memories.

coleblue11

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Soooo great to read these post from a different time. I worked on many of the flights from the West coast to Hawaii. Many were triangle flights SFO/LAX OGG - HNL and back. Pleasant Hawaiian offered great service. Malibu Breeze tropical cocktails and orange sherbet with your meals. Was pretty upscale considering the price and all coach seating.

compensateme

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:55 pm

RWA380 wrote:
ATA was Huge in the Hawaii market, they had their own tour buses, There had been talk of them taking over a resort & add that to the Pleasant Hawaiian family.

PHH was huge in the Hawaii market, not ATA (TZ). PHH contracted virtually all of TZ’s capacity, including the short lived JFK and ORD flights. While TZ eventually attempted to build a Hawaiian network, it’s no coincidence that the airline failed shortly after PHH moved its contact to UA. TZ also cried foul over PHH’s ownerships secret sale to AAA of SoCal - which wasn’t disclosed for several years and which TZ made it known it would’ve bid hard for.

PHH owned thousands of hotel rooms throughout the Islands. I recall having a wonderful stay at the Hyatt Waikiki and booking the following year via a consolidator at a heavily discounted rate. The room turned out to be a PHH room - PHH had several floors within one of the towers, it’s own front desk, housekeeping and maintaince staff. While still a wonderful stay, it’d be foolhardy to argue that the quality met the expectations set forth by our previous traditional visit.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos