Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakubH
Topic Author

United starts EWR-PRG

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:23 pm

Starting with a June 6 departure, United is now operating its seasonal EWR-PRG flight. First flight's routing: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /KEWR/LKPR

It's the airline's first route to the capital of the Czech Republic, following the lead of Delta (JFK-PRG) and American (PHL-PRG). Let's hope one of the three will invest into this market further, possibly adding a year-round connection/connections. Vienna and Warsaw already have them, including East Coast, Midwest and West Coast destinations. It would be great to have Prague better connected to North America.

With AA launching last year, Prague experienced a 24% increase in traffic to the US East Coast in 2018 (source) and direct routes are attractive to business travelers and tourists alike.

Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.

September11

Re: United starts EWR-PRG

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:43 pm

This is great! Thank you for sharing.
Airliners.net of the Future

FlyingElvii

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:27 am

Several coworkers were going to non rev this today VIE is the backup.

JakubH
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:28 am

September11 wrote:
This is great! Thank you for sharing.

If you are planning a visit to Prague, this is a great resource (made by locals): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7oj3 ... jJA/videos

mchei

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:52 am

I love Praha. But the connection from the airport to the city center has always been a bit of a mess. By bus to the metro and then downtown. I think there’re plans to extend the metro line but, yeah, it’s a plan. :)
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

klwright69

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:00 am

That is great news. Naples, another new city already started.

mickster

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:27 pm

mchei wrote:
... the connection from the airport to the city center has always been a bit of a mess. By bus to the metro and then downtown.

That is only the option offered by DPP (the Prague public transport company).

CD (the Czech Railways) operates the Airport Express, which links the main train station with both terminals in 30 minutes for CZK 60 (roughly EUR 2.35) if bought on the spot (25% cheaper if bought in advance) - not a train, but still a non-stop connection to the city center, with low-floor buses and places for luggage ...

Additionally, taxi fares are comparatively inexpensive - CZK 450 for standard taxi, CZK 260 with UBER.

corn4ahead

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:52 pm

First of all, where the heck was this route when I had to go in January and February?!?

Second, regarding the public transport, it is among the very best I have ever been on. It's extremely easy to navigate and very inexpensive. The connection from the airport is more difficult I guess but there's a YouTube video from the Honest Guide channel (linked above) that walks you through it step by step and it's very accurate and easy to follow.

Lastly, Prague is an incredible city and I highly, HIGHLY recommend.

mchei

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Ups. My bad, sorry. I’ve always been looking at what DPP offers.
With regard to public transport in general, Praha is amazing!
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

JakubH
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:19 pm

corn4ahead wrote:
First of all, where the heck was this route when I had to go in January and February?!?

Second, regarding the public transport, it is among the very best I have ever been on. It's extremely easy to navigate and very inexpensive. The connection from the airport is more difficult I guess but there's a YouTube video from the Honest Guide channel (linked above) that walks you through it step by step and it's very accurate and easy to follow.

This year, they are flying until October 4 so why not come again! Prague in early-fall (and even winter) is beautiful!

Definitely hoping UA extends its schedule next year and/or adds ORD.

And agreed, public transit is great but connection to/from the airport is not the most intuitive. A new hybrid train/metro route to the Masaryk Train Station is planned to launch in 2028/2029, but I would not be betting my money on it just yet.

For others looking for the video on how to get to the city center quickly for less than $2, here it is.

Summary of tips:
1) Every ticket must be validated when entering public transit (metro, bus, tram, ...) - only do it once to start its validity (for 30/90 minutes or 24 hours). Yes, there are frequent inspections.
2) Don't change money at the airport, pay with credit card to get a ticket for 90 minutes from PRG to the center/elsewhere (about 1.5 EUR or <2 USD). Most cafes etc. take cards and it's safe.
3) It takes about 35 minutes with public transit to get to the center (taxi/uber/shuttle all take longer). Generally, people speak English and will help you out if needed.

On a fun note, Prague has also recently added 10 baby rooms and designated security for families with children!

corn4ahead

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:47 pm

JakubH wrote:
corn4ahead wrote:

This year, they are flying until October 4 so why not come again! Prague in early-fall (and even winter) is beautiful!

We were there to go through fertility treatment. The Czech Republic has some of the best and most affordable treatment in the world.

We want to go back very badly, especially that time of year. However, twins are on the way due in October! Lol

Anyway, I don't see why this isn't a year- round route. Even in the off-season, all of our flights to PRG were full and there was still a lot of tourists ( in the touristy areas, we like to stay away from those parts). It would seem like there is plenty of demand.

JakubH
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:10 pm

corn4ahead wrote:
JakubH wrote:
corn4ahead wrote:

We were there to go through fertility treatment. The Czech Republic has some of the best and most affordable treatment in the world.

We want to go back very badly, especially that time of year. However, twins are on the way due in October! Lol

Anyway, I don't see why this isn't a year- round route. Even in the off-season, all of our flights to PRG were full and there was still a lot of tourists ( in the touristy areas, we like to stay away from those parts). It would seem like there is plenty of demand.

Great news! Come celebrate their first birthday! Congratulations and best wishes for this new chapter of your lives!