chrisp390
Topic Author

Rumour: AA Making Asia Route Adjustments

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:34 am

Rumor has it that AA will be changing around some of its Asia network very soon. Any idea what this may entail? Resumption of China services with their dormant slot?
Last edited by SQ22 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

Miami

Re: AA Making Asia Route Adjustments

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:35 am

Funny how JonNYC just tweeted this.

We'll see what happens.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

LAXintl

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:43 am

As far as China, only 2 weeks ago Isom said..

President Robert Isom denies any plans to resume China service from Chicago
American Airlines does not have plans in the near future to resume its flights from Chicago to Beijing and Shanghai, President Robert Isom said at the Wolfe Annual Global Transportation Conference.

http://www.orientaviation.com/articles/ ... resumption
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:06 am

Miami wrote:
Funny how JonNYC just tweeted this.

We'll see what happens.

That’s probably where it came from.

Honestly, it’ll probably be something like downgrading HND to the 789 in the winter in favor of the 77W to SYD.

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:07 am

LAXintl wrote:
As far as China, only 2 weeks ago Isom said..

President Robert Isom denies any plans to resume China service from Chicago
American Airlines does not have plans in the near future to resume its flights from Chicago to Beijing and Shanghai, President Robert Isom said at the Wolfe Annual Global Transportation Conference.

http://www.orientaviation.com/articles/ ... resumption

Their dormancy ends this month so... they either have to do something or throw away the slots.

jmc1975

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:14 am

PHX-NRT?

SierraPacific

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:17 am

jmc1975 wrote:
PHX-NRT?

We can only dream but I really doubt it. I foresee this to be an equipment shuffle rather than new routes.

x1234

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:21 am

From what I've heard AA does well to their allied alliance partners hubs (HND/NRT/HKG) so the 77W to Tokyo & Hong Kong will probably stay (they actually sell F/J to HND/NRT/HKG). They may down-gauge ICN/PEK/PVG and make them less than daily.

jfk777

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:25 am

x1234 wrote:
From what I've heard AA does well to their allied alliance partners hubs (HND/NRT/HKG) so the 77W to Tokyo & Hong Kong will probably stay (they actually sell F/J to HND/NRT/HKG). They may down-gauge ICN/PEK/PVG and make them less than daily.

Its hard to downgauge Seoul, Peking and Shanghai when they use 787's. The 777-200ER left when the 787 arrived.

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:26 am

SierraPacific wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:
PHX-NRT?

We can only dream but I really doubt it. I foresee this to be an equipment shuffle rather than new routes.

If OP got it from JonNYC, it’s going to be a shakeup, not a new route

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:28 am

jfk777 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Its hard to downgauge Seoul, Peking and Shanghai when they use 787's. The 777-200ER left when the 787 arrived.

Are they allowed to reduce PEK/PVG’s frequency? Wouldn’t that go against their slot allocations when they first applied for the routes?

It could be news regarding AA’s move to Daxing - they’ve expressed interest in moving with CZ.

SQ789

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:31 am

Ending the ORD-NRT with no more AA Asia service from ORD?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

x1234

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:38 am

Possibly two things: 1. HND slots and the new flights (which connect onto the JL domestic Japan network) 2. Move to Daxing in Beijing (new airport)

usssla

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:13 am

As approval of JV with Qantas and approval of new HND slot, shake up of current asia- pacific routes is expected.

x1234

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:21 am

Remember Qantas owns Jetstar (LCC) in East Asia (out of Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, etc.) Dunno how that will integrate with the QF JV.

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:56 am

x1234 wrote:
Remember Qantas owns Jetstar (LCC) in East Asia (out of Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, etc.) Dunno how that will integrate with the QF JV.

I think the AA/QF JV only covers QF itself in Australia/NZ, or just Oceania in general?

eamondzhang

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:35 am

Ishrion wrote:
x1234 wrote:

I think the AA/QF JV only covers QF itself in Australia/NZ, or just Oceania in general?

Aus/NZ only. However we couldn't rule out codesharing tho.

Michael

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:37 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Aus/NZ only. However we couldn't rule out codesharing tho.

Michael

According to Wiki, which might not be the best source, AA codeshares with Jetstar Australia/Japan.

Tikchik

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:39 am

Finally a PHL or MIA flight?

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:45 am

Tikchik wrote:
Finally a PHL or MIA flight?

Shouldn’t be any new routes - just a shakeup.

x1234

Re: Rumour: AA Making Asia Route Adjustments

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:32 pm

I wish AA would do something radical in Asia like launch LAX-ICN, LAX/DFW-TPE and LAX-SIN, all 3 of which are in the VISA Waiver Program. Also the US Military can only fly on American carriers due to the Fly America act, so if they wanted to fly LAX-ICN they would have to fly the DL code-share which DL gets part of the revenue due to the DL-KE JV. I know they're afraid of launching LAX-ICN due to the overkill of A380's on the route but LAX-ICN is the #1 TPAC route by statistics so AA may have a market after all (they said in the last conference call South Korea revenue was good due to corporate travel to the likes of Samsung (has one of its HQ's in DFW).

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:38 pm

x1234 wrote:
I wish AA would do something radical in Asia like launch LAX-ICN, LAX/DFW-TPE and LAX-SIN, all 3 of which are in the VISA Waiver Program. Also the US Military can only fly on American carriers due to the Fly America act, so if they wanted to fly LAX-ICN they would have to fly the DL code-share which DL gets part of the revenue due to the DL-KE JV. I know they're afraid of launching LAX-ICN due to the overkill of A380's on the route but LAX-ICN is the #1 TPAC route by statistics so AA may have a market after all (they said in the last conference call South Korea revenue was good due to corporate travel to the likes of Samsung (has one of its HQ's in DFW).

Considering LAX is AA’s main TPAC hub, TPE should be on the line... as well as the rumored LAX-ICN.
LAX-ICN may be difficult given Air Premia wants to start it.

TPE is probably the #1 unserved Asian city from DFW? EVA Air acknowledges the demand considering they offer bus service between IAH and DFW.

LAX-SIN... maybe not. UA tried and failed...

x1234

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:55 pm

The failure of UA on LAX-SIN was not due to demand but according to a route planner here but due to the fact that the flight is long and west-bound UA had to block off ~20 Y seats during the summer and ~40-50 Y seats during the winter on the 789. They simply simply found it more profitable to move the LAX-SIN flight to SFO-SIN making it 2x daily. Singapore has the Asia Pacific HQ of many US multinationals. The only problem is the long flying time from the USA.

MIflyer12

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:00 pm

x1234 wrote:
Also the US Military can only fly on American carriers due to the Fly America act, so if they wanted to fly LAX-ICN they would have to fly the DL code-share which DL gets part of the revenue due to the DL-KE JV.

So what's wrong with that? DL is a codeshare of KE-operated flights on ATL, BOS, ORD, DFW, HNL, LAS, JFK, SFO, SEA and IAD, and operates its own ICN-SEA/MSP/DTW/ATL flights. What cities in the U.S. have any meaningful demand to Korea other than those? What does AA bring to LAX-ICN that KE/DL and Asiana don't?

Jack Welch - “If you don't have a competitive advantage, don't compete.”
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chepos

Rumour: AA Making Asia Route Adjustments

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:00 pm

If we go by what the tweet said, Not a new route, adjustments was the word
used.

So based on the fact LAX will have 2 HND flights from LAX, I would
assume a possible adjustment would be dropping LAX-NRT. Just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

x1234

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:11 pm

chepos, that would be smart as AA started the 77W on LAX-HND today. Also AA has to decide whether to route SE Asia (through JL) connections still via NRT or SE Asia/South Asia connections (including India) via HKG instead onto CX and drop LAX-NRT possibly.

jayunited

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:14 pm

x1234 wrote:

AA does not have the right aircraft to fly LAX-SIN profitability they have 285 seats on their 789s, compared to UA who has 252 seat on our 789s and when UA was flying LAX-SIN we were blocking at minimum 20 seat in coach nightly. That number could go as high as 45-50 coach seats during the winter when the jet stream picks up going Westbound. If UA at certain times of the year had to block up to 50 economy seats just to make it, AA would with their current seating configuration would probably have to block 83 just to get it down to 202 passengers on board. And with only 30 business class seats vs. UA's 48 business class seats it would be nearly impossible for AA to turn a profit on a route like this even with business class sold out because that was the case with UA and our 48 seats.

As far as LAX-ICN or TPE I don't see AA starting these routes, AA may start DFW-TPE but the competition out of LAX coupled with the fact AA has no partner at ICN, or (if I'm not mistaken) TPE make LAX a hard sell.

Adipocere

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Maybe a dark horse like ORD - ISB??

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Adipocere wrote:

CLT-FNJ.

B1168

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:03 pm

My bet would be either in TPAC development on US East coast hubs of AA or expansion into new destinations (not for AA only)... maybe Delhi/Brisbane? Or maybe expanding capacity in China? Or try to mess with the Southeast Asian market? That’s really worth investigating.

Ishrion

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Kind of a reminder... the rumor is regarding adjustments, as noted in the title of the thread and most likely from the tweet OP got the rumor from.

No new routes, just a shake up.

usssla

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:25 pm

Therefore, some routes may be suspended and some route will add more frequency.
I guess some NRT routes will be suspended.
Due to the current trade war and reducing chinese tourists to the US, current frequencies to China (PEK, PVG, HKG) may decrease.

Austin787

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:22 pm

I'm guessing ORD-NRT will be dropped. I can see LAX-NRT and one of the DFW-NRT flights shifted to HND when AA starts those HND flights.

edealinfo

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:36 pm

chrisp390 wrote:
Rumor has it that AA will be changing around some of its Asia network very soon. Any idea what this may entail? Resumption of China services with their dormant slot?

Philadelphia to New Delhi

(With the collapse of India's Jet Airways, may the carrier will seek to get some of the India- US traffic. PHL has major Indian population plus is an AA hub. Additionally, it may help AA get a toehold in a country with a population with 1.3 billion. It would be an utter shame if they completely gave up on China AND India. United, for instance, has made a success out of EWR-DEL and EWR-BOM and is now starting SFO- DEL. Even Delta has decided to get its feet wet and is starting JFK - BOM.)

If AA now gives up on Asia's largest Tiger economy, it may have permanently given the advantage to UA and Delta.

compensateme

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:36 pm

I'll go with

DFW-NGO
DFW-KIK
DFW-CAN
We don’t care what your next flight is.

jayunited

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:45 pm

B1168 wrote:
My bet would be either in TPAC development on US East coast hubs of AA or expansion into new destinations (not for AA only)... maybe Delhi/Brisbane? Or maybe expanding capacity in China? Or try to mess with the Southeast Asian market? That’s really worth investigating.

I'm going to assume your talking about PHL-DEL, that is doable with their 789s once Pakistani airspace reopens. As far as BNE I don't see AA entering that market anytime soon even if their JV with QF is approved, I can see them adding LAX-MEL at best. Also I don't see DFW-MEL or DFW-BNE on AA and the reason is once again AA overall seating arrangement on their 789s. In the winter UA's 789s with 252 can fly IAH-SYD with a full load and all their bags but nto an once of cargo because we are weight restricted. DFW-MEL is even further than which would require more fuel than IAH-SYD and with 285 seats on AA's 789s, in my opinion they would need to block rows nightly in the winter (which is the busy season for travel to Australia from the U.S.) on the DFW-MEL leg and it might be the same with DFW-BNE.
I could be wrong I but I think AA has to many seats on their 789s for them to be of any use to them on ultra long haul flights. One las thing UA's overall seat count will drop once UA begins Polaris and P.E. installation later this year because UA intends to keep a larger size business class cabin on our 789s, AA's 789's current seat count already includes all access to the aisle, lie flat business class and P.E. seats. If AA wants to use their 789s on ultra long haul routes (16.5 hours or longer) in my opinion they will need to reduce the number of seats in coach and add seat in business class. On these ultra long haul routes 30 seats isn't enough to satisfy demand, heck on some ultra long haul routes UA's 48 seats isn't enough to satisfy demand.

DFWuser

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:05 pm

AA/QF joint venture has been conditionally approved. I'm guessing 77W back on LAX-SYD, the eventual addition of DFW-HND to compliment the 3 NRT flights (2 AA + 1 JL). Any additional flights to Australia from DFW would, IMO, be QF additions. ORD-PVG/PEK were money losers even with 788s. ORD-NRT is a weak link. Adds to Australia from LAX are more likely.
SF3 CR7 E75 M88 M90 L10 319 320 321 32B 332 333 343 388 712 722 732 733 73G 738 744 752 763 772 773 77W 788 789 78J

chepos

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:23 pm

DFWuser wrote:
AA/QF joint venture has been conditionally approved. I'm guessing 77W back on LAX-SYD, the eventual addition of DFW-HND to compliment the 3 NRT flights (2 AA + 1 JL). Any additional flights to Australia from DFW would, IMO, be QF additions. ORD-PVG/PEK were money losers even with 788s. ORD-NRT is a weak link. Adds to Australia from LAX are more likely.

I highly doubt there will be 3 DFW-NRT in addition to a HND flight. I believe it goes to 1 HND/ 1 NRT.

Fly the Flag!!!!

sagechan

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:34 pm

jayunited wrote:
B1168 wrote:

I'm going to assume your talking about PHL-DEL, that is doable with their 789s once Pakistani airspace reopens. As far as BNE I don't see AA entering that market anytime soon even if their JV with QF is approved, I can see them adding LAX-MEL at best. Also I don't see DFW-MEL or DFW-BNE on AA and the reason is once again AA overall seating arrangement on their 789s. In the winter UA's 789s with 252 can fly IAH-SYD with a full load and all their bags but nto an once of cargo because we are weight restricted. DFW-MEL is even further than which would require more fuel than IAH-SYD and with 285 seats on AA's 789s, in my opinion they would need to block rows nightly in the winter (which is the busy season for travel to Australia from the U.S.) on the DFW-MEL leg and it might be the same with DFW-BNE.
I could be wrong I but I think AA has to many seats on their 789s for them to be of any use to them on ultra long haul flights. One las thing UA's overall seat count will drop once UA begins Polaris and P.E. installation later this year because UA intends to keep a larger size business class cabin on our 789s, AA's 789's current seat count already includes all access to the aisle, lie flat business class and P.E. seats. If AA wants to use their 789s on ultra long haul routes (16.5 hours or longer) in my opinion they will need to reduce the number of seats in coach and add seat in business class. On these ultra long haul routes 30 seats isn't enough to satisfy demand, heck on some ultra long haul routes UA's 48 seats isn't enough to satisfy demand.

Agree that any DFW-Aussie will be done by QF due to AA's 789 config. AA LAX-MEL is probably definitely going to happen. AA to BNE happens if QF needs to free up frames for their routes, or doesn't happen otherwise. Don't expect more than mikor adds from AA until next batch of 787s arrive in a few years.
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV.

DFWuser

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:56 pm

chepos wrote:
DFWuser wrote:

I highly doubt there will be 3 DFW-NRT in addition to a HND flight. I believe it goes to 1 HND/ 1 NRT.

Many Japanese-based businesses have relocated to the DFW area in recent years. IMO it would be unwise to give up an NRT flight considering the DFW's massive growth unless JL upgrades their flight to a 77W. The HND flight will be operated by a 772, BTW
SF3 CR7 E75 M88 M90 L10 319 320 321 32B 332 333 343 388 712 722 732 733 73G 738 744 752 763 772 773 77W 788 789 78J

B1168

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:21 pm

sagechan wrote:
jayunited wrote:
B1168 wrote:

Agree that any DFW-Aussie will be done by QF due to AA's 789 config. AA LAX-MEL is probably definitely going to happen. AA to BNE happens if QF needs to free up frames for their routes, or doesn't happen otherwise. Don't expect more than mikor adds from AA until next batch of 787s arrive in a few years.

PHL-DEL... didn’t mean that. I actually meant DFW-DEL, but presumably a bit too far on AA 789.
AA’s relation with QF can be very intriguing. I do have something in my mind: is Adelaide sufficiently large in demand to see separate TPAC flights? ADL is acceptable in distance from LAX, and they have little means to get to US without SYD/MEL/BNE.

B1168

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Ishrion wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Considering LAX is AA’s main TPAC hub, TPE should be on the line... as well as the rumored LAX-ICN.
LAX-ICN may be difficult given Air Premia wants to start it.

TPE is probably the #1 unserved Asian city from DFW? EVA Air acknowledges the demand considering they offer bus service between IAH and DFW.

LAX-SIN... maybe not. UA tried and failed...

I fairly think you’re right... the problem is, AA is a Oneworld member, which means that they have nobody to connect to... or maybe Skylux (or sth like that)?

Adipocere

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:55 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

CLT-FNJ.

North Korea is currently heavily sanctioned by the West. So I am afraid there is no chance for a western airline to start a route out there. ISB on the other hand just had British Airways return, so its in the realm of possibility that another western airline may consider following suit. I concede it’s a (very) dark horse.

Swadian

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:23 pm

IMHO any of the following are most likely:
LAX-ICN
LAX-TPE
DFW-TPE

Perhaps CZ would do CAN-ORD and CAN-DFW, and JL would do NRT-PHX, NRT-PHL, or the oft-rumored NRT-MIA. Heck, perhaps CZ would even extend their YYZ flight to PHL, CLT, or MIA. Think it's impossible? We're talking about CZ here. This airline operates WUH-SFO.
John Wang, Founder and President of Inland Streamliner.

Ziyulu

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:26 pm

ORD to CAN!

DFWuser

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Swadian wrote:
IMHO any of the following are most likely:
LAX-ICN
LAX-TPE
DFW-TPE

Perhaps CZ would do CAN-ORD and CAN-DFW, and JL would do NRT-PHX, NRT-PHL, or the oft-rumored NRT-MIA. Heck, perhaps CZ would even extend their YYZ flight to PHL, CLT, or MIA. Think it's impossible? We're talking about CZ here. This airline operates WUH-SFO.

We have a better chance of CZ operating a DFW-PKX route in the future than CAN-DFW.

jfk777

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:56 pm

Lots of posts about AA's 789 having only 30 J class seats, maybe AA should reconfigure he plans similar to Qantas. If the issue is the European routes don't need so many J class seats then AA needs two 789 configurations. AA needs to give themselves a chance in Asia with properly configured 787 aircraft, the 777 fleet is "properly" configured.

Ishrion

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:40 am

jfk777 wrote:
Lots of posts about AA's 789 having only 30 J class seats, maybe AA should reconfigure he plans similar to Qantas. If the issue is the European routes don't need so many J class seats then AA needs two 789 configurations. AA needs to give themselves a chance in Asia with properly configured 787 aircraft, the 777 fleet is "properly" configured.

Thankfully, there’s a second wave of 789s coming in the next few years. That may allow AA to change some configs, but they want to minimize their subfleets as much as possible.

airboss787

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:49 am

The tweet from JonNYC specifically mentions that its not a new route. Unless I missed something, all of the replies talking about new routes are on the wrong track. Its probably going to be restructuring of routes to Asia by adjusting equipment and maybe frequency.

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1137155083853017089
Star Alliance Gold

jfk777

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:53 am

Ishrion wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Thankfully, there’s a second wave of 789s coming in the next few years. That may allow AA to change some configs, but they want to minimize their subfleets as much as possible.

LHR requires more then 30 J class seats for their 789 fleet. AA needs to put in 12 or 16 more J class and 5 rows of Y+ for 35 Premium Economy seats on the 789. AA currently is ordering nice airplanes but configuring them awfully. Whoever is in charge if these decisions needs to loose their job. AA's Atlantic partner BA needs to show AA what a "properly" configured airplane looks like.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos