TWA1985
Topic Author

AA Increasing Mainline Service From ORD

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:55 pm

Hey Guys,

I feel like this deserves its own thread since ORD hasn’t seen mainline service to many smaller markets in over a decade on American.

Earlier today I looked at schedules for July 5th, 2019 and noticed AA now offers mainline service from ORD to many cities that have been regional routes for a decade or more.

These include ... BUF, SYR, CMH, IND, OMA and PIT to name a few.

So is this something that’s solely for the summer travel season or do y’all see AA ramping up mainline flights out of ORD as more aircraft are delivered?

And if there are any other routes y’all are aware of that I missed, please let me know.

Thanks,

Drew :)
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

jfk777

Re: AA Increasing Mainline Service From ORD

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:02 am

More ORD to PBI would be good. Winter 3 flights summer one, two is good.

YYZORD

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:07 am

ORD-YYZ is another route AA made mainline

Fargo

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:08 am

Not really sure why both UA and AA have such high % of regional jets at ORD. I feel if one of them were to upgauge the majority of their ORD flights to mainline, they'd gain a significant advantage over the other.

AVENSAB727

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:09 am

ORD-IAH too went mAAinline a while ago.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

BDLtoORD

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:20 am

Fargo wrote:
Not really sure why both UA and AA have such high % of regional jets at ORD. I feel if one of them were to upgauge the majority of their ORD flights to mainline, they'd gain a significant advantage over the other.

ORD serves soo many tiny destinations that it is impossible to not have a high % of RJs

With that being said, AA I would say has a slight advantage in regard to RJs at ORD, UA's ORD operation relies heavily on CR2s while AA's operation is heavily E145.

ILS28ORD

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:20 am

Nice to see AA actually doing something mainline at ORD, it's been a decade of reductions to regional domestically and flat out dropped INTL routes. After the US/AA merger they made it sound like ORD would see increases, but it's basically been the opposite. I have not liked the post-merger strategy at ORD, so this is a start in the right direction.

UALifer

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:30 am

Fargo wrote:

Don’t know about AA, but UA definitely doesn’t just have a bunch of mainline airplanes sitting around or flying regional routes. As UA gets more MAXes delivered I’m sure plenty of the will go to make sure ORD gets more mainline.

Fargo

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:11 am

BDLtoORD wrote:
ORD serves soo many tiny destinations that it is impossible to not have a high % of RJs

So does ATL and DFW yet, both have more mainline than RJs.

UALifer wrote:
Don’t know about AA, but UA definitely doesn’t just have a bunch of mainline airplanes sitting around or flying regional routes. As UA gets more MAXes delivered I’m sure plenty of the will go to make sure ORD gets more mainline.

Yes, this is a major problem UA has. The worst part is, I don't think the management intends on resolving it anytime soon, as they are committed to putting those dumb CR550's in the market rather than ordering the A220 (a plane UA desperately needs IMO) or more 737's/A320's.

muralir

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:15 am

I wonder if we're seeing the effects of those L-stinger gates finally being utilized fully. That allows them to place regional planes there, freeing up gate space for more mainline service.

It would make sense that part of that new gate capacity went to more regional service and part to freeing up mainline gates for more mainline service.

MIflyer12

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:23 am

Fargo wrote:

CHI traffic gets split over three hub ops. Be happy for the price competition.

Fargo

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:32 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

CHI traffic gets split over three hub ops. Be happy for the price competition.

Nah. I'm in the minority, but I'd rather have a UA megahub than split UA/AA hub ops.

BDLtoORD

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:02 am

Fargo wrote:
BDLtoORD wrote:

So does ATL and DFW yet, both have more mainline than RJs.

Apples to oranges comparison, DL ATL and AA DFW are much larger hubs than AA or UA at ORD so of course they have more mainline. In addition ATL doesn't service tiny airports like DFW and ORD do, for example most of the destinations served from ATL have service to other airports (obviously not all). ORD is in a unique position in the US where it is in close proximity to a tremendous amount of tiny airports

N649DL

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:12 am

Fargo wrote:

There are a TON of reasons for this for both airlines and it stems back to the 1990s. AA had a ton of ATRs flying out of ORD on Eagle but after a crash realized that they were not fit for icy conditions. They were mostly moved to MIA and SJU hubs & made ORD very ERJ, F-100, and MD-80 based by the Early 2000s. As a matter of fact, AA had a big advertising campaign for "Going All Jet" with AE in and around 2001 in Chicago.

With UA it was a different story. UA had a heavy majority of mainline flights but had a series of airplane retirements which led them to outsource to Regional Carriers. The first wave was the retirement of the 732s and 727s in 1999-2001 and the second was the retirement of the 733s and 735s in 2008-2009. UA was in cost cutting mode during the recession and heavily outsourced to Regional Carriers since the 737 wave of nearly 100 aircraft in the Late 2000s was so drastic. That said, they retained over 90 of the 757-200 so many routes out of ORD saw that aircraft as a replacement too (in combination with RJ's and smaller aircraft).

In the 2010s, UA dumped the domestic 757 in large numbers but still retained large numbers of RJs at ORD. They did replace the 757 with many newer 737s though from CO orders (and UA topped off the 757 retirements with 737-900ERs as well.)

With AA within the last decade and BK they were de-emphasizing ORD a bit and many ERJ destinations were cut. They did take on a lot of new 738 deliveries and they were the first to go to ORD to replace the S80.

ILS28ORD

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:43 am

Now if AA could use these upguages to fill their intl flights at ORD... wait, never mind. :lol:

Adding some of their own international routes back and filling them via connections is the next step. We'll see if that ever happens though.. they love OW partners to fly from ORD for them.

Rdh3e

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:37 am

AA is averaging 4 more mainline departures per day than last year. Given they have expanded regional faster the mainline, the mainline mix is actually getting lower as a percentage.

strfyr51

Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:17 am

Fargo wrote:

wanting Mainline Jets and Having them is two different things. The RJ's are "Pathfinder" airplanes They're deployed to get passengers TO United or American.
When they're no longer able to meet the demand? Then you will see main line jets on said route, But the Financials have got to BE there. Just because Podunk KY wants mainline service isn't going to fly.

lavalampluva

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:24 am

I don’t know why people make such a big deal out of mainline service. Imo RJs give you options to more destinations.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

WingsOfLove

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:53 am

ILS28ORD wrote:
After the US/AA merger they made it sound like ORD would see increases, but it's basically been the opposite.

AA passenger numbers at ORD have steadily increased since 2013 and may surpass its 2005 record this year.

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/Data_Elements.aspx?Data=1

ILS28ORD

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:58 am

WingsOfLove wrote:
ILS28ORD wrote:
After the US/AA merger they made it sound like ORD would see increases, but it's basically been the opposite.

AA passenger numbers at ORD have steadily increased since 2013 and may surpass its 2005 record this year.

That may be true, but until recently, it was almost all because of RJs, not mainline. More recently it may be because of mainline additions.

Antarius

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:09 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
I don’t know why people make such a big deal out of mainline service. Imo RJs give you options to more destinations.

Not to mention that on AA the E175 is far superior comfort-wise to an a319.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

jetskipper

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Our of curiosity, what is the demand in SYR that has both UA and AA upgrading from RJs?

United_fan

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:05 pm

I wonder if AA mainline to ORD will ever return to ROC. They left around 2003 or so. I think they used MD80s.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

Jake1993P

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:18 pm

Are there any plans to convert more gates to mainline (either in H or L) or G gates to be able to accommodate larger RJs in the future?

ILS28ORD

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:08 am

G is getting mainline gates for b6 I believe, but not AA. The OGT renderings show part of G eventually becoming less regional. Who knows how that plays out though

WeatherPilot

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:13 am

SYR has mainline to ORD from both AA and UA now.

Jo8338

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:28 am

jetskipper wrote:
Our of curiosity, what is the demand in SYR that has both UA and AA upgrading from RJs?

H3 has already been made mainline capable. L4,6,8 can be converted to mainline. I also think H1 would be possible as a tow in gate.

LH658

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:13 am

AA went main line all over IAH, on every route. I think maybe has to do with QF coming to ORD?

grbauc

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:13 am

WingsOfLove wrote:
ILS28ORD wrote:

Goes to show anecdotal and the eyeball test don’t tell the whole story and are easily fooled in to believing our Prejudice

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos