ClipperGoodwill
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:50 pm

DEF landing on 18R/36L

And yes the runway is open. 18L/36R is closed for the next few months for a total rehab. When it re-opens, it will be able to accommodate Group VI aircraft (A380, B748), after FAA approval.
You can't beat the Experience.
 
77H
Posts: 1534
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:45 am

WA707atMSP wrote:
canyonblue17 wrote:
Now if only we can get the airport officials to allow us a good location for photographing it when it comes in. I would expect a 35R landing. Most of the international heavies land there - and during January the winds are usually from the north - providing the southern approach. There are a few great locations along an adjacent road (Heintzelman) to spot from - but airport security is very strict about not allowing cars or pedestrians in the area. I have been lucky enough to stop on the side of the area and snap some shots before being told to leave. One is posted below.



At the risk of going completely off topic:

In some cities, the airline photographers / enthusiasts have reached out to airport security, and created "trusted spotter" programs, where people who regularly spend time near the fences get ID cards, and agree to contact airport security if they see anything suspicious. These programs are a win/win, because airport security gets additional manpower along the airport perimeter for free, and the people who spot and photograph responsibly don't have to worry about airport security asking them to leave.

If airport security is strict at MCO, you and your friends should reach out to security, and offer to work with them to set up a program like this. This would ensure that when the A380 arrives, you'll be able to take as many photos as you'd like!


Or... you can educate yourself of your rights as an American citizen. Assuming this aforementioned road is a public street, you have the right to film anything you can see in public from public as provided for under the first amendment. Freedom of press. This has been ruled on in most circuit courts districts and has been affirmed by the Supreme Court.

Security, nor law enforcement for that matter have no legal standing to ask anyone to stop filming or vacate a public place, airport or not. Forcing a photographer to stop filming and leave is a great way to find oneself and department/company as a defendant in a lawsuit

77H
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1471
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:53 am

How many gates at MCO are capable of handling an A380?
 
timtam
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:09 am

Thunderbolt500 wrote:
undertheradar wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

I’m sure the aircraft would go back to LAX straight away. They sit on the ground in LAX for most of the day. Suprised QF don’t do more charters around the US with them - I supposed there isn’t huge demand for large scale 380 charters out of AU, that would avoid cabotage issues


NOTE: qantas has a large maintenance facility at LAX where they rotate the A380s through for scheduled/more lengthy maintenance during the 15hr layovers in LAX. They are not 'readily available' for more flying/charters around the US. The qantas A380s generally only spend around 3-5hrs on ground in SYD or MEL in OZ. LAX is their main maintenance port.

H

Is it cheaper to work in the us vs au.?


Fallout from the industrial action that grounded the entire fleet in 2011.

Qantas needed to reduce its exposure to a militant trade union that was essentially blackmailing the business.

Add to this, monoploly airport providers charging excessive rents for space at airports.
 
Gemuser
Posts: 5045
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:22 am

timtam:
Fallout from the industrial action that grounded the entire fleet in 2011.

Rubbish! Maintance in LAX started LONG before 2011, it stared long before the A380 was on the property. It is mainly schedule driven, other factors certinaly contribute but schedule factors are the bigge.

Gemuser
 
ClipperGoodwill
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:07 am

blacksoviet wrote:
How many gates at MCO are capable of handling an A380?


Only 2 gates are A380 capable. This flight will be handled at Gate 90. It has an upper deck jetway.
You can't beat the Experience.
 
timtam
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:32 am

Gemuser wrote:
timtam:
Fallout from the industrial action that grounded the entire fleet in 2011.

Rubbish! Maintance in LAX started LONG before 2011, it stared long before the A380 was on the property. It is mainly schedule driven, other factors certinaly contribute but schedule factors are the bigge.

Gemuser


Signed a new 20 year lease in 2014 and committed to building a brand new $30m maintenance facility.

Your dreaming if you think there wasnt fallout from the 2011 grounding of the whole fleet.
 
crownvic
Posts: 2565
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:42 am

If I had to guess they will park on the West side general aviation ramp, as I would imagine the passengers will clear customs in L.A during the 3 hour layover. 99% of charters park on that side. It will take about 10 full size luxury buses to accommodate everyone which allows them to drive out on the ramp right up to the plane. Perhaps the departure may use gate 90.
 
Gemuser
Posts: 5045
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:04 am

timtam wrote:
Gemuser wrote:
timtam:
Fallout from the industrial action that grounded the entire fleet in 2011.

Rubbish! Maintance in LAX started LONG before 2011, it stared long before the A380 was on the property. It is mainly schedule driven, other factors certinaly contribute but schedule factors are the bigge.

Gemuser


Signed a new 20 year lease in 2014 and committed to building a brand new $30m maintenance facility.

Your dreaming if you think there wasnt fallout from the 2011 grounding of the whole fleet.

And you are overly cynical! Undoubtly it was a consideration but they were all ready doing it, so your unsupported assertation is not worth further consideration. We will simply disagree.

Gemuser
 
Beanbag
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:12 am

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:07 pm

Ishrion wrote:
crownvic wrote:
This is my hometown airport and I am "fired up" for this! So, will it sit on the ground nearly for a whole week?


I feel like I read somewhere once it lands in MCO it’ll return to LAX as an empty flight... might be wrong though, will need to find where I read that...

I cant imagine why they wouldnt deadhead it back out to use it elsewhere
 
 
crownvic
Posts: 2565
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:05 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
Flying across the world to go to one of the most overpriced amusement parks in the world?

Must be nice to have that kind of money.


I suggest you take 5 minutes.. just 5 minutes to read what this post is about before posting gibberish..
 
crownvic
Posts: 2565
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:07 pm

I’m still not seeing any return flight back to LAX info for today with one hour before it’s arrival..
 
rph99
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 3:27 am

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:20 pm

2000 feet. On final. Runway 18R
 
undertheradar
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:25 pm

-OQE scheduled Sunday 19th Jan QF6022 MCO-LAX dep 1710 MCO local time and arr 1900 LAX local time. This is a positionining flight ie no passengers.
Update dep 1825 MCO arr 2020 LAX approx.
Last edited by undertheradar on Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
ewt340
Posts: 1017
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:29 pm

JAAlbert wrote:
What's happening in Orlando that requires a 380 from Qantas of all airlines?


Disney World.
 
crownvic
Posts: 2565
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:06 am

I was able to film this plane today but not without some drama..
GOAA=Greater Orlando Aviation Authority
I have flown the QF A380 twice and wanted a close friend to witness what it was all about and this is what happened.... here is a copy of the letter I sent to GOAA, Orlando Police and FlightSafety..

Shame on GOAA..Shame on Orlando Police Airport Division and Shame on FlightSafety MCO.  Everyone listed should be embarrassed at what happened today to a group of aviation enthusiasts NOT TERRORISTS who simply just wanted to witness, photograph and experience aviation history at Orlando Intl.  Approximately 15 minutes prior to the arrival of the special charter Qantas A380 Flight 17, a group of about 75 aviation enthusiasts gathered in the parking lot of Flight Safety and a grassy area for a small glimpse and photographic opportunity of that super jumbo landing.  This group included families with children, and aviation enthusiasts of all ages just out to celebrate the A380 arrival.  However all hopes were dashed when just a few short minutes before arrival an Orlando Police Department cruiser pulled up to the side of the road and made a blaring PA announcement and ordered everyone to leave the area stating the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority forbids photography of airplanes.  Everyone stood it total disbelief.  Was this a joke?  Those that were closest to the road  (across the street and on the non GOAA side ) moved back and safely stood well away from the perimeter road with most if not all retreating back to the Fight Safety parking lot.  This was short lived only to be blasted by the police officer pulling into the Flight Safety parking lot and once again threatening immediate arrest of anyone photographing any airplanes landing from the Flight Safety parking lot.  We were all several hundred feet from the perimeter fence with a dual lane road between us as well.  To make matters worse an official from Flight Safety also asked everyone to leave as he claimed it was a directive by his boss.  Lets see, its a Sunday afternoon, the parking lot is empty and absolutely nothing was going on in that parking lot.  I guess I can park there tomorrow and film planes all day from that same parking lot for hours and no one will say anything.
I guess its okay to park anywhere directly under the approach path slightly off airport property aligned with any runway to photograph planes,and one would be a lot closer too.  I guess I can film airplanes from the many windows in the terminal and that is okay too..How about the many perimeter open areas around the airport.  It is most entertaining to know that there were several other photographers up and down Tradeport drive at various vantage points ( Galaxy Aviation, Signature and cargo areas) that got great photos and never harassed.  I too had a great vantage point at Cessna Citation right next door and could have easily photographed without any harassment.
So thank you everyone mentioned for spoiling what could have been a great event.  You can claim all the security BS you want, and that it is was a danger to the public but anyone with common sense which you all seem to lack will never by that.  A nice image you portrayed for the children present seeing all those involved acting like overzealous idiots.  My suggestion ....in the future if there is any special aviation event that may draw a small crowd like today, treat it like its a presidential visit and seal off the entire area, set up a perimeter of security including the secret service and also include highly trained marksmen, this would be much more impressive then the display of stupidity today.  
By the way, I have traveled the world and have visited dozens of foreign airports as well as hundreds around the US that welcome aviation photography with terraces and viewing areas. These are major cities like London, Amsterdam and Sydney..They don't have a problem taking an airplane picture but Orlando does.  Thanks for ruining what could have been a great event..Sad....
 
undertheradar
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:52 am

undertheradar wrote:
-OQE scheduled Sunday 19th Jan QF6022 MCO-LAX dep 1710 MCO local time and arr 1900 LAX local time. This is a positionining flight ie no passengers.
Update dep 1825 MCO arr 2020 LAX approx.

3 A380 flights are scheduled from LAX to Oz on Sunday night (QF12/94/18). currently -OQA/H are already in LAX so -OQE is needed to complete the schedule.
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8503
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:43 am

crownvic wrote:
Greater Orlando Aviation Authority forbids photography of airplanes.  .



Tell them we didn't get the memo

https://www.airliners.net/search?locati ... lay=detail



Also..point out there's more freedom in Tehran than Orlando

https://www.airliners.net/search?locati ... lay=detail
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
crownvic
Posts: 2565
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:01 am

727LOVER wrote:
crownvic wrote:
Greater Orlando Aviation Authority forbids photography of airplanes.  .



Tell them we didn't get the memo

https://www.airliners.net/search?locati ... lay=detail




I'm still tweaking and making corrections, but I will definitely mention the 1500 plus photos on A.net! LOL
 
LabQuest
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:31 am

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:05 am

DLHAM wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
canyonblue17 wrote:
Now if only we can get the airport officials to allow us a good location for photographing it when it comes in. I would expect a 35R landing. Most of the international heavies land there - and during January the winds are usually from the north - providing the southern approach. There are a few great locations along an adjacent road (Heintzelman) to spot from - but airport security is very strict about not allowing cars or pedestrians in the area. I have been lucky enough to stop on the side of the area and snap some shots before being told to leave. One is posted below.


Yes, but it's an A380. I believe only 18R-36L can handle an A380. Possobly 18L-36R. Those runways are wider, also. They're 3,000 ft longer as well


If it hasnt changed A380s are only allowed to operate on 60m wide runways. 45m runways are only allowed when the Grass/surface next to the runway is fixed. This is the case at my hometown Airport HAM, where A380s operate on a scheduled basis on 45m wide runways.

But with MCO having two 60m runways, why should they use the narrower ones even if the Grass is fixed what I dont think.


What does it mean when the grass is fixed?
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:15 am

crownvic wrote:
I was able to film this plane today but not without some drama..
GOAA=Greater Orlando Aviation Authority
I have flown the QF A380 twice and wanted a close friend to witness what it was all about and this is what happened.... here is a copy of the letter I sent to GOAA, Orlando Police and FlightSafety..

Shame on GOAA..Shame on Orlando Police Airport Division and Shame on FlightSafety MCO.  Everyone listed should be embarrassed at what happened today to a group of aviation enthusiasts NOT TERRORISTS who simply just wanted to witness, photograph and experience aviation history at Orlando Intl.  Approximately 15 minutes prior to the arrival of the special charter Qantas A380 Flight 17, a group of about 75 aviation enthusiasts gathered in the parking lot of Flight Safety and a grassy area for a small glimpse and photographic opportunity of that super jumbo landing.  This group included families with children, and aviation enthusiasts of all ages just out to celebrate the A380 arrival.  However all hopes were dashed when just a few short minutes before arrival an Orlando Police Department cruiser pulled up to the side of the road and made a blaring PA announcement and ordered everyone to leave the area stating the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority forbids photography of airplanes.  Everyone stood it total disbelief.  Was this a joke?  Those that were closest to the road  (across the street and on the non GOAA side ) moved back and safely stood well away from the perimeter road with most if not all retreating back to the Fight Safety parking lot.  This was short lived only to be blasted by the police officer pulling into the Flight Safety parking lot and once again threatening immediate arrest of anyone photographing any airplanes landing from the Flight Safety parking lot.  We were all several hundred feet from the perimeter fence with a dual lane road between us as well.  To make matters worse an official from Flight Safety also asked everyone to leave as he claimed it was a directive by his boss.  Lets see, its a Sunday afternoon, the parking lot is empty and absolutely nothing was going on in that parking lot.  I guess I can park there tomorrow and film planes all day from that same parking lot for hours and no one will say anything.
I guess its okay to park anywhere directly under the approach path slightly off airport property aligned with any runway to photograph planes,and one would be a lot closer too.  I guess I can film airplanes from the many windows in the terminal and that is okay too..How about the many perimeter open areas around the airport.  It is most entertaining to know that there were several other photographers up and down Tradeport drive at various vantage points ( Galaxy Aviation, Signature and cargo areas) that got great photos and never harassed.  I too had a great vantage point at Cessna Citation right next door and could have easily photographed without any harassment.
So thank you everyone mentioned for spoiling what could have been a great event.  You can claim all the security BS you want, and that it is was a danger to the public but anyone with common sense which you all seem to lack will never by that.  A nice image you portrayed for the children present seeing all those involved acting like overzealous idiots.  My suggestion ....in the future if there is any special aviation event that may draw a small crowd like today, treat it like its a presidential visit and seal off the entire area, set up a perimeter of security including the secret service and also include highly trained marksmen, this would be much more impressive then the display of stupidity today.  
By the way, I have traveled the world and have visited dozens of foreign airports as well as hundreds around the US that welcome aviation photography with terraces and viewing areas. These are major cities like London, Amsterdam and Sydney..They don't have a problem taking an airplane picture but Orlando does.  Thanks for ruining what could have been a great event..Sad....


Power tripping MFs. I swear, some of the security staff in this nation act like they have never met a human being before.
Delta Gold Medallion
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5376
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:40 am

Aircraft -OQE has repositioned QF6022 MCO-LAX ETA 20:20 & turning around to operate QF12 LAX-SYD.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1844
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:18 am

crownvic wrote:
I was able to film this plane today but not without some drama..
GOAA=Greater Orlando Aviation Authority
I have flown the QF A380 twice and wanted a close friend to witness what it was all about and this is what happened.... here is a copy of the letter I sent to GOAA, Orlando Police and FlightSafety..

Shame on GOAA..Shame on Orlando Police Airport Division and Shame on FlightSafety MCO.  Everyone listed should be embarrassed at what happened today to a group of aviation enthusiasts NOT TERRORISTS who simply just wanted to witness, photograph and experience aviation history at Orlando Intl.  Approximately 15 minutes prior to the arrival of the special charter Qantas A380 Flight 17, a group of about 75 aviation enthusiasts gathered in the parking lot of Flight Safety and a grassy area for a small glimpse and photographic opportunity of that super jumbo landing.  This group included families with children, and aviation enthusiasts of all ages just out to celebrate the A380 arrival.  However all hopes were dashed when just a few short minutes before arrival an Orlando Police Department cruiser pulled up to the side of the road and made a blaring PA announcement and ordered everyone to leave the area stating the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority forbids photography of airplanes.  Everyone stood it total disbelief.  Was this a joke?  Those that were closest to the road  (across the street and on the non GOAA side ) moved back and safely stood well away from the perimeter road with most if not all retreating back to the Fight Safety parking lot.  This was short lived only to be blasted by the police officer pulling into the Flight Safety parking lot and once again threatening immediate arrest of anyone photographing any airplanes landing from the Flight Safety parking lot.  We were all several hundred feet from the perimeter fence with a dual lane road between us as well.  To make matters worse an official from Flight Safety also asked everyone to leave as he claimed it was a directive by his boss.  Lets see, its a Sunday afternoon, the parking lot is empty and absolutely nothing was going on in that parking lot.  I guess I can park there tomorrow and film planes all day from that same parking lot for hours and no one will say anything.
I guess its okay to park anywhere directly under the approach path slightly off airport property aligned with any runway to photograph planes,and one would be a lot closer too.  I guess I can film airplanes from the many windows in the terminal and that is okay too..How about the many perimeter open areas around the airport.  It is most entertaining to know that there were several other photographers up and down Tradeport drive at various vantage points ( Galaxy Aviation, Signature and cargo areas) that got great photos and never harassed.  I too had a great vantage point at Cessna Citation right next door and could have easily photographed without any harassment.
So thank you everyone mentioned for spoiling what could have been a great event.  You can claim all the security BS you want, and that it is was a danger to the public but anyone with common sense which you all seem to lack will never by that.  A nice image you portrayed for the children present seeing all those involved acting like overzealous idiots.  My suggestion ....in the future if there is any special aviation event that may draw a small crowd like today, treat it like its a presidential visit and seal off the entire area, set up a perimeter of security including the secret service and also include highly trained marksmen, this would be much more impressive then the display of stupidity today.  
By the way, I have traveled the world and have visited dozens of foreign airports as well as hundreds around the US that welcome aviation photography with terraces and viewing areas. These are major cities like London, Amsterdam and Sydney..They don't have a problem taking an airplane picture but Orlando does.  Thanks for ruining what could have been a great event..Sad....


Several months ago, I commented on this thread that the photographers in some cities have worked with airport security to establish "trusted photographer" programs where aircraft photographers get ID badges, and are allowed to photograph aircraft in exchange for communicating with law enforcement about suspicious behavior. Minneapolis is one city where a program like this exists, so when the AN-225 comes to visit, the photographers are able to take pictures of it without harassment from law enforcement.

Yes, photographing airplanes is a legal right, but law enforcement can still disregard the rules and show up at inopportune moments. Being in the right doesn't do a photographer any good if law enforcement chooses to show up a few minutes before something the photographer wants to get pictures of is due to arrive.

I'm sad you had so many problems, but if Orlando Airport had a trusted photographer program, your problems would NOT have happened.
 
cpd
Posts: 6136
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:47 am

WA707atMSP wrote:
canyonblue17 wrote:
Now if only we can get the airport officials to allow us a good location for photographing it when it comes in. I would expect a 35R landing. Most of the international heavies land there - and during January the winds are usually from the north - providing the southern approach. There are a few great locations along an adjacent road (Heintzelman) to spot from - but airport security is very strict about not allowing cars or pedestrians in the area. I have been lucky enough to stop on the side of the area and snap some shots before being told to leave. One is posted below.



At the risk of going completely off topic:

In some cities, the airline photographers / enthusiasts have reached out to airport security, and created "trusted spotter" programs, where people who regularly spend time near the fences get ID cards, and agree to contact airport security if they see anything suspicious. These programs are a win/win, because airport security gets additional manpower along the airport perimeter for free, and the people who spot and photograph responsibly don't have to worry about airport security asking them to leave.

If airport security is strict at MCO, you and your friends should reach out to security, and offer to work with them to set up a program like this. This would ensure that when the A380 arrives, you'll be able to take as many photos as you'd like!


Reaching out like that sometimes just gets you a slap in the face from officials hell bent on having things their way.
 
crownvic
Posts: 2565
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:11 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
I'm sad you had so many problems, but if Orlando Airport had a trusted photographer program, your problems would NOT have happened.


I agree with what you say, but having a trusted photographer program does not help for an occasional one time event that may draw the general public such as this case..
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 888
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:18 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Also..point out there's more freedom in Tehran than Orlando

https://www.airliners.net/search?locati ... lay=detail


As someone who has spotted in both Tehran and Orlando, I can confirm this. Never been harassed for planespotting over there unlike MCO.
"Martin Luther King wasn't assassinated because he was dreaming. He was assassinated because he woke up."-Louis Farrakhan
 
FLLspotter747
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:32 pm

As someone who went to see both visits of the QF A380 over the past week, I want to point out the insane differences between the behavior of the police during the two arrivals.

As many of you know, on the first visit (19 Jan), a single Orlando Police cruiser came up to the flight safety area with about 15 mins to go before QF landed. The female police officer was blaring her siren and saying "You are in restricted airspace and we can arrest you". She also openly admitted it was flight safety who called the spotters in. Many people were frustrated and disappointed in the way the situation was handled.

On the second visit (24 Jan), my car came up to flight safety with about 20 mins before the arrival. Already we saw two police vehicles sitting in the parking lot. One was marked Orlando Police, and the other was an unmarked pickup truck. Seeing this (and based off last week's experience), I thought they were here to kick us out if we got out and set up for the arrival. So with about 15 mins to go, I decided to go talk to them so that if they weren't gonna let us stay, we had time to find another spot.

I politely walked up, said good afternoon to them and asked, "Would you be alright if we stay here to get the Qantas A380?" To my utter surprise, they said, "You're more than welcome to set up anywhere you like, as long as you don't interfere with road traffic."

I presume the stark differences is because of the complaints that made it to the GOAA after the disaster that was the first arrival. However, I do want to compliment the GOAA for working with the Orlando police to make the second visit of the whale was a more pleasurable experience.
 
User avatar
vhtje
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:43 pm

FLLspotter747 wrote:
As someone who went to see both visits of the QF A380 over the past week, I want to point out the insane differences between the behavior of the police during the two arrivals.

As many of you know, on the first visit (19 Jan), a single Orlando Police cruiser came up to the flight safety area with about 15 mins to go before QF landed. The female police officer was blaring her siren and saying "You are in restricted airspace and we can arrest you". She also openly admitted it was flight safety who called the spotters in. Many people were frustrated and disappointed in the way the situation was handled.

On the second visit (24 Jan), my car came up to flight safety with about 20 mins before the arrival. Already we saw two police vehicles sitting in the parking lot. One was marked Orlando Police, and the other was an unmarked pickup truck. Seeing this (and based off last week's experience), I thought they were here to kick us out if we got out and set up for the arrival. So with about 15 mins to go, I decided to go talk to them so that if they weren't gonna let us stay, we had time to find another spot.

I politely walked up, said good afternoon to them and asked, "Would you be alright if we stay here to get the Qantas A380?" To my utter surprise, they said, "You're more than welcome to set up anywhere you like, as long as you don't interfere with road traffic."

I presume the stark differences is because of the complaints that made it to the GOAA after the disaster that was the first arrival. However, I do want to compliment the GOAA for working with the Orlando police to make the second visit of the whale was a more pleasurable experience.


So where is the photo?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.
 
FLLspotter747
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:19 pm

I apologize for sending the link to where I post my shots, but it seems easier than trying to get an image on this site. Anyways here's the link:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7vjtGfB_OA/
 
crownvic
Posts: 2565
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:06 am

I was the one who posted the harassment thread above and the only response I heard back was from GOAA saying they would look into it and get back to me. I never heard back. Maybe my ire did get through. Ironically I was at LAX on Friday the day of the return QFA flight from Orlando and happily photographed dozens of planes from In and Out, the Proud BIrd and Imperial Hill with no issues at all.
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2027
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: Qantas schedules one-time A380 service to Orlando

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:21 am

Been hearing about what went down at MCO and apparently, a lot of Instagram spotters (many of whom were teenagers) flew in from all over the country to see the QF A380. It sounds like many of them of them were displaying immature behavior which got everyone reported to the police, hence the strong response Crownvic described above.

Really disgusting to hear a bunch of spoiled kids (some of which I imagine flew down for free either by nonreving or having mom & dad pay for their trip) would act that way. Completely unfair to those who were serious about capturing the A380 or families who brought their kids to see a cool aviation moment. I for one would be very upset. :roll:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos