x1234
Topic Author

Did Malaysia Airlines fly to Mexico, Argentina, Canada & USA in its heyday!?

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:40 pm

I remember in the 1990's Malaysia Airlines flew to MEX & EZE in its heydays and routing was KUL-TPE-LAX-MEX and KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE. Why did MH start MEX & EZE, was this the era of shooting darts on a map!? Did they have 5th freedom traffic on LAX-MEX & JNB-CPT-EZE!? I also heard they flew to YVR, what was the routing? Wow what a fall of a great airline! :(

mozart

Re: Did Malaysia Airlines fly to Mexico, Argentina, Canada & USA in its heyday!?

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:57 pm

They had 5th freedom rights between South Africa and Argentina. I don't know about the other route.

Indeed, sad to see what happened to a once very extensive network.

eta unknown

Re: Did Malaysia Airlines fly to Mexico, Argentina, Canada & USA in its heyday!?

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:03 pm

It wasn't shooting darts, it was a form of Malaysian Govt. flag waving diplomacy. None of these came close to breaking even. At one stage there were even Mexican based cabin crew that only flew the MEX-LAX sector. And don't forget the shorter lived KUL-DXB (later replaced with ARN)-EWR 777 service.
I think LAX alternated between NRT & TPE. YVR was via TPE or SEL- can't remember.
I do recall a story that when SQ management heard about MH's BUE & MEX routes they couldn't believe just how far MH was willing to go in terms of losses to operate these flights as they made no commercial sense. I think CPT-EZE from a pax numbers perspective did well due to so few flights between Africa and South America, but the actual operational costs were catastrophic.
Other oddball political routes that bled were KUL-DXB-IST-MAD A330, KUL-VIE-ZAG 777 (to show support for the 100 or so Croatian war people that settled in Malaysia), and KUL-DXB-BEY A330 that was packed with SYD/MEL connecting pax that involved vast corruption on the Australian sales side.

MalevTU134

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:25 pm

x1234 wrote:
I remember in the 1990's Malaysia Airlines flew to MEX & EZE in its heydays and routing was KUL-TPE-LAX-MEX and KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE. Why did MH start MEX & EZE, was this the era of shooting darts on a map!? Did they have 5th freedom traffic on LAX-MEX & JNB-CPT-EZE!? I also heard they flew to YVR, what was the routing? Wow what a fall of a great airline! :(

KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE was restarted in 2002 and went on for several years again (I flew EZE-CPT and back 3 or 4 times in 2005-2006) on the B744. It is said that a big part of the reason for MH's starting that route, and keeping it for years in spite of heavy losses, was that corrupt Prime Minister Mahathir owns a huge ranch in Argentina, and thus needs a way to fly there in style in First Class on MH. Go figure.

braynfeeble

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:28 pm

They operated KUL-TPE-YVR for only about a year 1995/96.
♥☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆•*¨* ♥☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆•*¨*

dcajet

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:37 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE was restarted in 2002 and went on for several years again (I flew EZE-CPT and back 3 or 4 times in 2005-2006) on the B744. It is said that a big part of the reason for MH's starting that route, and keeping it for years in spite of heavy losses, was that corrupt Prime Minister Mahathir owns a huge ranch in Argentina, and thus needs a way to fly there in style in First Class on MH. Go figure.

A horse ranch, to be more precise.

For years, before arrival of EK, QR and ET to EZE, MH was the most popular carrier to China for the ever increasing Chinese community in Argentina, particularly those who did not possess a US visa.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

MADPYRO

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:46 pm

The government really had their pride in MH back in the day..... and it's sad to see that many routes that could have still worked (e.g LAX) get cut completely. I wished they'd kept the 77E's, it didn't make too much sense to dump the only long-haul aircraft (besides the A388 at the time) and completely sever the European network, which had fairly healthy yields
A319/A320/A321/A388/B737/B738/B744/B752/B772/E190/F70

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:06 pm

x1234 wrote:

MH had 5th freedom traffic on LAX-MEX and was doing so well, US airlines & AeroMexico protested.

In the early 1990s the Malaysian economy was booming. The Malaysian Ringgit was RM 2.50 - RM 2.80 to the dollar (not that it matters for average Malaysians since most still can't afford to fly international). Hence MH was in expansion mode, where they flew to MEX, EZE, EWR, CPT, JNB, ARN, VIE, ZRH, ZAG.

But then the 1997/1998 Asian Financial Crisis hit & overnight the Malaysian Ringgit was devalued. And that was the start of MH's downfall, as one by one those routes were canceled. The last holdout of these routes was EZE, which was canceled in 2011.

dcajet wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

A horse ranch, to be more precise.

For years, before arrival of EK, QR and ET to EZE, MH was the most popular carrier to China for the ever increasing Chinese community in Argentina, particularly those who did not possess a US visa.

Speaking of EK, MH's flight to EWR was originally routed via DXB. Once EK started their New York flights, MH's 5th freedom rights were rescinded and so they rerouted to ARN - which made the flight unprofitable.
Last edited by TheFlyingDisk on Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

kennyomg

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:07 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE was restarted in 2002 and went on for several years again

Amazingly they kept flying it until 2011.

TC957

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:11 pm

MH also had a LAX fight that went via NRT.

User001

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:15 pm

They also flew to MAN initially with B777 but then B747-400. However yield was poor and the route only lasted 2-3 years. Did love seeing their famous 'hibiscus' livery at MAN.

They then tried again with just a cargo flight but despite good figures on that one it too was pulled (I believe it was due to competition with another cargo company called Jet8 that also served the route)

leftcoast8

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:18 am

braynfeeble wrote:

MH98/99 KUL-TPE-YVR launched in 1994 using the 744, and ended in February 1999 (can't pin down the exact date). Don't quote me on it but I believe Taiwan refused to give MH 5th freedom rights on the KUL-TPE leg (MH could only offer KUL-YVR or TPE-YVR), hindering yields/profitability. MH ended up dropping route when the airline went into freefall after the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis (which hit Malaysia particularly hard). MH's losses for 1998-99 amounted to RM700 million, or about $184.2 million US (Malaysia had pegged the ringgit at $1 US = RM3.8 in September 1998)

Interesting to note that today, BR often has the cheapest 1-stop fares between Vancouver and Malaysia

eta unknown

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:48 am

I don't recall there being a Taiwanese issue with traffic rights on the KUL- TPE sector for a flight continuing to YVR... Sounds odd.

Also I thought DXB was an open traffic rights port, so how did MH lose rights to EWR? Or was it a case the point to point DXB-NYC traffic wasn't there for 2 airlines to compete so MH rerouted the flight?

Crackshot

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:57 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Do you, or anyone else, have a source for the departure/arrival times? I'd love to recreate this one in P3D.

Melb94

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:22 am

Crackshot wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Do you, or anyone else, have a source for the departure/arrival times? I'd love to recreate this one in P3D.

I have a few departure/arrival times for various MH destinations (LAX-NRT, VIE, JNB, FRA, AMS, EWR-ARN, IST, CDG, ZRH, FCO, EZE-CPT, DXB-KHI, MAN & CAI) that are no longer served. Would you like a copy of them?

ramprat320

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:35 am

The MH KUL-TPE-YVR was a code shared service with Canadian Airlines.

9MMPQ

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:52 am

Crackshot wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

MH201 - B744
Day 3, 7

KUL - JNB
ETD 01:05 / ETA 05:40

JNB - CPT
ETD 07:00 / ETA 09:15

CPT - EZE
ETD 10:45 - ETA 15:35

MH202 - B744
Day 3, 7

EZE - CPT
ETD 20:20 / ETA 09:00 +1

CPT - JNB
ETD 10:15 / ETA 12:15

JNB - KUL
ETD 13:40 / ETA 05:40 +1

From a 26 March 2006 printed timetable i still have.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

Lufthansa

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:39 am

There was a whole stack of routes MH flew that didn't make a whole lot of sense.
Just off the top of my head I can think of former routes like Penang to London,
KUL-FCO/ARN/FRA/ZRH/CDG/AMS and I think even ATH and ZAG at one point.

Not to mention LAX was also in the mix.

EZE... as mentioned the Prime Minister had a ranch in Argentina and this is widely thought
to have been behind that.

Keeping up with SQ was always a matter of national pride. The difference was SQ's home market
is an international financial and business hub, so it had natural demand that KUL dint have.

The Middle East carriers. This one really hit the Australia/NZ-Europe traffic hard. At one point just about every
train station in Melbourne and Sydney was covered in Emirates billboards and on these routes SQ was considered
the major competitor.

Nepotism. MH was top heavy with ppl given jobs in various positions in Head Quarters purely due to political connections
who knew nothing about aviation. And a lot of them. Some government ministers daughter or nephew returned from
studying in New Zealand and needed a job got one created for them. SIA never let inefficiencies like that happen.

Next Air Asia. MH was never cheap short haul although the service was good. But after Air Asia took off they were forced to
drop their prices, in the one area they probably had really good margins on. But with Air Asia stretching into Thailand, Vietnam
india and even as far away as Japan and New Zealand this had a big impact. Certain losses just couldn't be justified at the
levels they were at. So out came the chopping block and a revolving door for a while of new management.

Crackshot

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:08 am

Melb94 wrote:
Crackshot wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

I have a few departure/arrival times for various MH destinations (LAX-NRT, VIE, JNB, FRA, AMS, EWR-ARN, IST, CDG, ZRH, FCO, EZE-CPT, DXB-KHI, MAN & CAI) that are no longer served. Would you like a copy of them?

If you wouldn't mind, I would love that. Thank you!

Crackshot

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:09 am

9MMPQ wrote:
Crackshot wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

MH201 - B744
Day 3, 7

KUL - JNB
ETD 01:05 / ETA 05:40

JNB - CPT
ETD 07:00 / ETA 09:15

CPT - EZE
ETD 10:45 - ETA 15:35

MH202 - B744
Day 3, 7

EZE - CPT
ETD 20:20 / ETA 09:00 +1

CPT - JNB
ETD 10:15 / ETA 12:15

JNB - KUL
ETD 13:40 / ETA 05:40 +1

From a 26 March 2006 printed timetable i still have.

Cheers man, that's amazing. That would be a gruelling flight if you were taking it in economy all the way through.

NTLDaz

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:31 am

[quote="Lufthansa"]There was a whole stack of routes MH flew that didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Not to mention LAX was also in the mix.

They also had a flight from LHR to Langkawi.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:43 am

Lufthansa wrote:
There was a whole stack of routes MH flew that didn't make a whole lot of sense.

CDG/AMS/FRA made sense in the 1980s & 1990s when the economy was booming. If I recall correctly, they serve these destination as transit stops on the way to LHR. I think BRU was also served, but I can't be certain.

As for Penang, they now have one stop connection to the world thanks to QR.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

airpearl

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:35 am

eta unknown wrote:
I don't recall there being a Taiwanese issue with traffic rights on the KUL- TPE sector for a flight continuing to YVR... Sounds odd.

MH did not have traffic rights TPE-YVR but depended on codeshare partner CP to fill up that sector. Once the codeshare was terminated when CP merged with AC, it no longer made economic sense to operate the route. I was aboard one of the last flights from KUL to YVR when the codeshare had already been terminated - the TPE-YVR sector was the emptiest B744 I'd ever flown on - probably no more than a couple of dozen passengers!

When the codeshare was in place, the TPE-YVR-TPE sectors were crewed by both MH and CP flight attendants.

upperdeckfan

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:20 am

With the global growth in air traffic and the more efficient aircraft available today compared to MH's days, an SQ SIN-EZE via either CPT or JNB would be viable if 5th freedom on SA-EZE is granted?

Thoughts?
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

eamondzhang

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:26 am

MADPYRO wrote:
The government really had their pride in MH back in the day..... and it's sad to see that many routes that could have still worked (e.g LAX) get cut completely. I wished they'd kept the 77E's, it didn't make too much sense to dump the only long-haul aircraft (besides the A388 at the time) and completely sever the European network, which had fairly healthy yields

Unfortunately LAX will never work - even from SIN it is not easy despite being the SEA financial centre and you're suggesting KUL with a far lower yield will work?

The two accidents only nailed their coffin really.

Michael

flee

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 am

eamondzhang wrote:
MADPYRO wrote:

Unfortunately LAX will never work - even from SIN it is not easy despite being the SEA financial centre and you're suggesting KUL with a far lower yield will work?

The two accidents only nailed their coffin really.

Michael

MH suffered multi billion MYR losses when oil prices were over USD 100. Today, they are still losing money with oil prices around USD 75. Their cost base is still far too high and they won't be able to make profits for the foreseeable future if they don't improve - no matter what routes they operate!

Melb94

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:23 pm

Crackshot wrote:
Melb94 wrote:
Crackshot wrote:

Here you go:
These schedules were were grabbed from Flightstats in 2012 when they operated in during the Northern Summer of 2012 unless the destination was axed such as VIE, JNB (axed in Jan 2012), EWR-ARN, ZRH, FCO (axed in Jan 2012, EZE-CPT (axed in Feb 2012), MAN, CAI. All schedules are from Northern Summer only.

MH-092 KUL 11.00am 7.10pm NRT 8.40pm 3.10pm LAX
MH-093 LAX 5.15pm 8.30pm NRT 10.05pm 4.30am KUL

MH-022 KUL 11.45pm 5.30am VIE
MH-023 VIE 12.30pm 5.45am KUL

MH-203 KUL 1.20am 6.00am JNB
MH-204 JNB 1.40pm 6.10am KUL

MH-006 KUL 11.59pm 6.40am FRA
MH-005 FRA 12.30pm 6.25am KUL

MH-016 KUL 11.55pm 6.55am AMS
MH-017 AMS 12.00pm 6.30am KUL

MH-090 KUL 11.59pm 6.00am ARN 7.45am 10.20am EWR
MH-091 EWR 10.00pm 11.40am ARN 1.10pm 6.30am KUL

MH-030 KUL 12.30am 6.15am IST
MH-031 IST 3.10pm 6.35am KUL

MH-020 KUL 11.35pm 6.40am CDG
MH-021 CDG 12.30pm 6.35am KUL

MH-010 KUL 11.45pm 6.15am ZRH
MH-009 ZRH 12.50pm 6.45am KUL

MH-014 KUL 11.50pm 5.35am FCO
MH-015 FCO 12.20pm 6.50am KUL

MH-201 KUL 1.30am 7.15am CPT 8.55am 1.30pm EZE
MH-202 EZE 11.30pm 12.10pm CPT 1.40pm 6.50am KUL

MH-160 KUL 12.30pm 3.25pm KHI 4.25pm 5.25pm DXB
MH-161 DXB 6.40pm 9.45pm KHI 10.59pm 7.50am KUL

MH-012 KUL 10.30am 4.40pm MAN
MH-011 MAN 8.00pm 3.30pm KUL

MH-158 KUL 7.35pm 12.25am CAI
MH-159 CAI 1.55am 5.00pm KUL

MH also flew at one point:

MH-147 KUL 9.35pm 10.35pm CGK 11.35pm 8.50am MEL
MH-146 MEL 12.01am 4.00am CGK 5.00am 8.00am KUL

MH-094 KUL 3.15pm 7.45pm TPE 9.15pm 5.05pm LAX
MH-095 KUL 11.10pm 6.10am TPE 7.40am 12.15pm KUL

MH-090 KUL 3.20pm 7.45pm TPE 9.15pm 6.15pm LAX 7.45pm 1.00am MEX
MH-091 MEX 9.20pm 11.00pm LAX 1.45am 6.15am TPE 8.00am 12.20pm KUL (operated in October 1996 as stated by departedflights.com)

Hope this helps!

many321

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
x1234 wrote:

MH had 5th freedom traffic on LAX-MEX and was doing so well, US airlines & AeroMexico protested.

In the early 1990s the Malaysian economy was booming. The Malaysian Ringgit was RM 2.50 - RM 2.80 to the dollar (not that it matters for average Malaysians since most still can't afford to fly international). Hence MH was in expansion mode, where they flew to MEX, EZE, EWR, CPT, JNB, ARN, VIE, ZRH, ZAG..

I still remember when I was a kid when my pops brought the local Spanish Speaking newspaper 'La Opinion' (around 1994/1995) and was thinking of taking the LAX-MEX flight just to try the 747-400. He never did, sadly. Funny thing, in 2015 my pa asked if Malaysia is still flying to MEX and I just nodded no, he was bummed out.

Would you know when it was the last flight to MEX?
Last edited by many321 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MalevTU134

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Melb94 wrote:
Crackshot wrote:
Melb94 wrote:

Here you go:
These schedules were were grabbed from Flightstats in 2012 when they operated in during the Northern Summer of 2012 unless the destination was axed such as VIE, JNB (axed in Jan 2012), EWR-ARN, ZRH, FCO (axed in Jan 2012, EZE-CPT (axed in Feb 2012), MAN, CAI. All schedules are from Northern Summer only.

MH-091 MEX 9.20pm 11.00pm LAX 1.45am 6.15am TPE 8.00am 12.20pm KUL (operated in October 1996 as stated by departedflights.com)

Hope this helps!

Thanks, but MH201/202 always went through JNB as well, not just CPT. The double stop in South Africa was there to the very end, unless I am totally mistaken.

raylee67

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:53 pm

braynfeeble wrote:

I think the flight is also code-shared with CP's code on it. Although CP's metal was never used on the route to KUL.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 351 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

Melb94

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:55 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Melb94 wrote:
Crackshot wrote:

Here you go:

Hope this helps!

Thanks, but MH201/202 always went through JNB as well, not just CPT. The double stop in South Africa was there to the very end, unless I am totally mistaken.

Malaysia Airlines changes to South Africa/Argentina from Oct 2010
by JL

As per 21JUN10 GDS timetable display, Malaysia Airlines is making service adjustments to South Africa and Argentina from 01OCT10. Details:

Existing 2 weekly each of Kuala Lumpur – Johannesburg (777 service) and Kuala Lumpur – Johannesburg – Cape Town – Buenos Aires (747 service) will become:

Kuala Lumpur – Johannesburg 3 weekly 777 service
MH203 KUL0120 – 0600JNB 772 246
MH204 JNB1340 – 0610+1KUL 772 246

Kuala Lumpur – Cape Town – Buenos Aires 2 weekly 747-400 service
MH201 KUL0130 – 0715CPT0855 – 1330EZE 744 37
MH202 EZE2220 – 1100+1CPT1230+1 – 0540+2KUL 744 37

Changes will be maintained in 2010/11 Northern Winter season.

https://airlineroutes.wordpress.com/201 ... eze-oct10/

MH split their KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE route into KUL-JNB and KUL-CPT-EZE. I can see your confusion!

MalevTU134

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Melb94 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Melb94 wrote:

Here you go:

Hope this helps!

by JL

As per 21JUN10 GDS timetable display, Malaysia Airlines is making service adjustments to South Africa and Argentina from 01OCT10. Details:

Existing 2 weekly each of Kuala Lumpur – Johannesburg (777 service) and Kuala Lumpur – Johannesburg – Cape Town – Buenos Aires (747 service) will become:

MH split their KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE route into KUL-JNB and KUL-CPT-EZE. I can see your confusion!

Wow!! Ok, I stand corrected! Thank you!!!

This info made me curious about something... Maybe I shall start a separate thread for it... :)

dcajet

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:05 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
With the global growth in air traffic and the more efficient aircraft available today compared to MH's days, an SQ SIN-EZE via either CPT or JNB would be viable if 5th freedom on SA-EZE is granted?

Thoughts?

MH had 5th freedom on all sectors, except the domestic JNB-CPT leg. Filling the plane would not be an issue; filling it with high yielding traffic would be an issue.

I tend to believe that we will seee a Chinese carrier (CZ?) @ EZE before we see the likes of SQ.CZ has said it intends to operate both to Argentina and Brazil by 2022.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Melb94

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:16 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Melb94 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

by JL

This info made me curious about something... Maybe I shall start a separate thread for it... :)

What are you curious about?

MalevTU134

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Melb94 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Melb94 wrote:

by JL

What are you curious about?

Just starting the thread. And you will be credited! :)

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Malaysia Airlines did indeed serve LAX as of 1988:

A side note: Before I checked the photo database, I dusted off a memory sparked by the OP's question about LAX.

Picture it: LAX, top deck of one of the parking structures (placing this as somewhere between 1984 to 1988). As I am walking to one of the terminals, I admire the view of what one can see of the movements of the planes moving like bees in a hive. "Look, there's a Malaysian DC-10, identifiable by the kite symbol!" I noted, most probably mentally calculating what the direct route passes over.

This photo confirms that I was correct about the timeline in my head.

Thanks for starting the stroll down memory lane for me!!

MartijnNL

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Lufthansa wrote:
KUL - FCO/ARN/FRA/ZRH/CDG/AMS and I think even ATH and ZAG at one point.

Why didn't these routes to major European airports make sense according to you? Amsterdam for example was operated for 35 years and performed well. Malaysia had to make cutbacks after one of their 777's disappeared into the night and another one was shot down.

Melb94

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Does anyone have the schedule to MH's flights to Zagreb? I am really interested and curious about this one!

Lufthansa

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:15 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Lufthansa wrote:
KUL - FCO/ARN/FRA/ZRH/CDG/AMS and I think even ATH and ZAG at one point.

Why didn't these routes to major European airports make sense according to you? Amsterdam for example was operated for 35 years and performed well. Malaysia had to make cutbacks after one of their 777's disappeared into the night and another one was shot down.

Well it wasn't that there wasn't any demand. Just not enough O & D traffic for MH to get a premium ex Malaysia. AMS worked due to KLM feed,
but the didn't enjoy that in Paris Rome or Frankfurt at the time. The result was, to fill the aircraft they had to result to discounting between
Australia/NZ and Europe. Although the pax enjoyed it, they didn't make much money doing it. And we're talking decisions made WAY WAY WAY
like a decade before the two MH incidents, neither of which are probably MH's fault. AMS was just one of the last to go, but the others were gone
a decade earlier. Now couple that with a super hub down the road at Changi, and a couple of new ones built in the ME.... MAS just didn't have a business
case for the connecting traffic without enough domestic demand to underpin it.

Lufthansa

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Melb94 wrote:
Does anyone have the schedule to MH's flights to Zagreb? I am really interested and curious about this one!

Me too. You'd be surprised who flew there. Even Qantas did at one point! It's off topic but you'd be surprised by some of the old
routes. I think there was a lot of demand to the Adriatic areas from all the Melbourne crowd, especially after
Alitalia and Olympic pulled out. Other odd routes too like QF PER to HRE.
Anybody with old timetables love to hear this stuff is always interesting!

Melb94

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Lufthansa wrote:
Melb94 wrote:

Me too. You'd be surprised who flew there. Even Qantas did at one point! It's off topic but you'd be surprised by some of the old
routes. I think there was a lot of demand to the Adriatic areas from all the Melbourne crowd, especially after

I agree!! Not sure of Qantas if they flew to Zagreb, I believe they flew to Athens. I know they flew to Rome.

I think we should start a separate thread about these old flights and schedules!!

eta unknown

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:07 pm

QF flew to BEG. And also DAM too at one point, both with 742's.

c933103

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 pm

dcajet wrote:
upperdeckfan wrote:

Thoughts?

MH had 5th freedom on all sectors, except the domestic JNB-CPT leg. Filling the plane would not be an issue; filling it with high yielding traffic would be an issue.

I tend to believe that we will seee a Chinese carrier (CZ?) @ EZE before we see the likes of SQ.CZ has said it intends to operate both to Argentina and Brazil by 2022.

Apparently CZ have freezed their South America/Africa expansion plan as they get a new manager previously served CA and MU that say CZ must now be ready for future economic uncertainty and focus on improving yield
This is a placeholder.

NTLDaz

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Lufthansa wrote:
Melb94 wrote:

You may know but the Harare route was due to the sanctions on South Africa at the time.

leftcoast8

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:08 pm

I think MH has been a strictly Eurasian/Australasian airline ever since axing KUL-NRT-LAX in 2014 (it was announced about six weeks before the disappearance of Flight 370, with the last flight on April 30th). Thai and Garuda Indonesia as well. Thailand recently failed an FAA Category 1 audit and the Japanese government is refusing to grant Garuda 5th freedom rights for its proposed CGK-NRT-LAX route, so I don't expect either airline to serve North America, maybe ever.

LCCs alongside Singapore Airlines, EVA, China Airlines, JAL and ANA are eating TG/GA's lunch in the SE Asia market. They also have to deal with Gulf carriers, Turkish and Ethiopian on the European side, and on top of this meddling by the governing PDI-P party in Indonesia is hindering Garuda's profitability (President Jokowi ordered the airline to reduce domestic airfares by 20% back in February), leading to massive reductions in their longhaul network (Garuda recently ended flights to London and reduced CGK-AMS to 3 weekly). Somehow PR has been able to make North American routes work.

The last direct flight from Indonesia to North America was Garuda's CGK-HNL-LAX via a DC-10, ended in the late 80s? Northwest planned on starting a 3 weekly SEA-KIX-KUL-CGK using the DC-10 (start date was planned to be 7/1/1996) but for some reason it fell through and was replaced by NW68/69 DTW-KIX-KUL, a 3 weekly 747-400. The KIX-KUL tag-on was discontinued in May 2001, can't pin down the exact date.
Last edited by leftcoast8 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

USAirALB

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:11 pm

I visited KUL for the first time this past March (flew Air Asia into KLIA2 and then connected to terminal 1 on KA) and the Terminal 1 Satellite hosting the international flights was an absolute ghost town in the middle of the afternoon. It was blatantly obvious that it was designed to support more traffic than it currently does; quite a shame because the facility is gorgeous.

Wasn’t part of MH’s overall strategy to connect Southeast Asia and Australia with Europe (hence why they served so many European destinations). I don’t doubt that some of these destinations weren’t profitable and were flown for political reasons, but I could see a case being made for KUL-CDG/FRA being flown profitably. I see MH being a victim of the ME3 in this sector. Malaysia isn’t some backwoods country-they are a high-income economy that one could make the argument that is “developed”.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

leftcoast8

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 pm

USAirALB wrote:
I see MH being a victim of the ME3 in this sector. Malaysia isn’t some backwoods country-they are a high-income economy that one could make the argument that is “developed”.

SQ is also muscling in on this sector. And to the Americas, its losing out to ATI JVs (AA/JL/CI, UA/NH/BR)

It's obvious Malaysia wants to make a name for itself. I see Petronas sponsorships all over Formula One. Last year's parliamentary elections were promising, as the more moderate PH/WARISAN coalition won an upset victory over the ruling BN coalition, which had ruled Malaysia for 61 years (BN had been the ruling coalition since Malaysia gained independence from the UK in 1957) and had been making frightening overtures to fundamentalist clerics in the past couple of years. Now Malaysia is becoming more moderate while ironically Indonesia is becoming more fundamentalist. I wish Malaysia the best of luck.

Pellegrine

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 pm

eta unknown wrote:

Also I thought DXB was an open traffic rights port, so how did MH lose rights to EWR? Or was it a case the point to point DXB-NYC traffic wasn't there for 2 airlines to compete so MH rerouted the flight?

I dont remember MH losing rights, but they did fly KUL-DXB-EWR way before the gulf carriers flew to New York.

Edit to add that this was a 772ER flight.
oh boy, here we go!!!

TheRedBaron

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:28 pm

I flew on Jan 1 1994 and returned Jan15 1994 on MH on a Spanking new 747-400 they flew the MEX LAX segment from November 1993 to late 1995, and they took it because Mexicana Aeromexico and United torpedoed the 5 freedom rights..

Best Regards
TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

trent768

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:46 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
The last direct flight from Indonesia to North America was Garuda's CGK-HNL-LAX via a DC-10, ended in the late 80s? Northwest planned on starting a 3 weekly SEA-KIX-KUL-CGK using the DC-10 (start date was planned to be 7/1/1996) but for some reason it fell through and was replaced by NW68/69 DTW-KIX-KUL, a 3 weekly 747-400. The KIX-KUL tag-on was discontinued in May 2001, can't pin down the exact date.

It ended way later, around 1997/8 since my dad flew CGK-(BIK?)-HNL-LAX vv on their MD-11 in 1996 for a summer school in Dallas. The trip was so memorable to him that he remember all the ticket price: $2700 for GA's C class to LAX and $100 each for AA's LAX-DFW/DFW-JFK/JFK-LAX with some sort of student deals available back then.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos