bmw123
Topic Author

Delta saves the day with free charter

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:43 pm

On June 3rd. A group of OKC students heading to Washington for a class trip were left without a flight when their American Airlines flight was cancelled. The 41 students planned the class trip a year ago and were understandably quite disappointed.
Luckily Delta came to the rescue and sent a CRJ-900 from Atlanta to help out. Pretty amazing an airline would provide this charter flight in days when almost all airline publicity is negative.

https://news.delta.com/we-re-here-help- ... competitor

crjflyboy

Re: Delta saves the day with free charter

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:51 pm

bmw123 wrote:
On June 3rd. A group of OKC students heading to Washington for a class trip were left without a flight when their American Airlines flight was cancelled. The 41 students planned the class trip a year ago and were understandably quite disappointed.
Luckily Delta came to the rescue and sent a CRJ-900 from Atlanta to help out. Pretty amazing an airline would provide this charter flight in days when almost all airline publicity is negative.

https://news.delta.com/we-re-here-help- ... competitor

Another black eye for AMERICAN and likely hundreds of new loyal customers for DELTA in return.

They do this all the time ... go out of their way

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... indow.html

I remember flying through Atlanta on an Eastern flight in the early 80's ... Eastern cancelled the flight and Delta people were right their booking Eastern passengers on their next flight at no extra cost ... I never flew an Eastern again after that.

N717TW

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:57 pm

wow! great PR for Delta but how in the good Lord's name did the group end up being on Delta's radar? I mean there are school/youth groups traveling every day and I've to to imagine delays and cancelations affecting them is part of the risk and happens frequently enough. Do airlines havre a mutual aid-type system for youth groups and Delta is simply not mentioning that?

crjflyboy

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:12 pm

N717TW wrote:
wow! great PR for Delta but how in the good Lord's name did the group end up being on Delta's radar? I mean there are school/youth groups traveling every day and I've to to imagine delays and cancelations affecting them is part of the risk and happens frequently enough. Do airlines havre a mutual aid-type system for youth groups and Delta is simply not mentioning that?

In ATL DELTA had people all over the Eastern gate areas waiting to pounce on their customers once the flight was cancelled ... they even brought up golf carts for people

TTailedTiger

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:25 pm

Did they fly into IAD or BWI? Because DCA is slot controlled. Delta couldn't have operated OKC-DCA.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:32 pm

N717TW wrote:

Maybe they approached Delta. Or maybe American prompted Delta of their predicament. Since they did restore their interline agreement I would say it is the latter.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Ziyulu

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:35 pm

I wonder if they booked Basic Economy fares.

Mboyle1988

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:59 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Did they fly into IAD or BWI? Because DCA is slot controlled. Delta couldn't have operated OKC-DCA.

Article says they flew to RIC which was the final destination.

lavalampluva

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:08 pm

AA left them high and dry?
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

crjflyboy

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:19 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
AA left them high and dry?

Doing what they do best

compensateme

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:02 pm

A cool gesture by DL, but not exactly “free” as the title implies — DL will get credit for whatever monies they paid to AA.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:12 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
N717TW wrote:

In ATL DELTA had people all over the Eastern gate areas waiting to pounce on their customers once the flight was cancelled ... they even brought up golf carts for people

He famous DL Red Coats

GF

Ziyulu

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:21 pm

Will AA let them use their return segment since the first segment was not taken?

crjflyboy

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:23 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
N717TW wrote:

He famous DL Red Coats

GF

Exactly … that's what they wore … the bane of EASTERN back then

bluestreak

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:36 pm

In ATL DELTA had people all over the Eastern gate areas waiting to pounce on their customers once the flight was cancelled ... they even brought up golf carts for people[/quote]

United did this for time in DEN as well. Back in the 80's when Continental had a hub in DEN, a friend and I were traveling to Las Vegas on CO. Continental cancelled our flight, and a United representative showed up out of nowhere asking passengers if they were willing to take a United flight, which was scheduled to leave in an hour. Of course most passengers accepted, including my friend and I. That was my first flight on a United 727.
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"

Aesma

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:56 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Will AA let them use their return segment since the first segment was not taken?

Well the flight was cancelled, surely the rules don't apply then.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Ziyulu

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:11 am

Aesma wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

I know, but they did not take the replacement flight.

IPFreely

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:10 am

compensateme wrote:
A cool gesture by DL, but not exactly “free” as the title implies — DL will get credit for whatever monies they paid to AA.

If one airline accommodates passengers with a flight after another airline cancels under an interline agreement -- and gets paid for doing so -- what's the big deal? Every airline has weather, gate, and technical issues. This happens every day.

If one airline provides a free flight as a charitable act when another airline cancels, that is a big deal.

The topic title says "free", as in this was a pro-bono contribution from Delta to a group of students. If so, a great gesture. If not, the topic title is very misleading and needs to be changed immediately.

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:19 am

Ziyulu wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

I know, but they did not take the replacement flight.

I’m not sure what AA’s CoC says, but I can tell you that in practice, when a cancellation happens (regardless of reason), change and refund restrictions go out the window. Probably they just canceled and refunded the outbound.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

bmw123
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:27 am

I would say bringing an empty plane from Atlanta to OKC is pretty charitable. Even if Delta received the economy fair reimbursement from AA it could be labeled virtually “free”. I can’t find info on this. Definitely not a profitable flight for Delta but great PR.

mapletux

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:32 am

Delta also helped to get the Nigeria men's soccer team that had been stranded after training in Atlanta to the Olympics at Rio just in time for their first game.
https://www.ajc.com/business/delta-gets ... vtbUNZq4N/

TVNWZ

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:37 am

IPFreely wrote:
If one airline accommodates passengers with a flight after another airline cancels under an interline agreement -- and gets paid for doing so -- what's the big deal? Every airline has weather, gate, and technical issues. This happens every day.

The big deal would be one airline sending a special plane and flight. Why interline that and not just bring in your own plane? Bad look at best.

9w748capt

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:04 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
N717TW wrote:

Maybe they approached Delta. Or maybe American prompted Delta of their predicament. Since they did restore their interline agreement I would say it is the latter.

OKC's airport isn't that big - I'm sure it didn't take long for word to travel of this predicament. People talk. Regardless of how DL came to know about this situation, it's incredible that the DL employees felt empowered enough to make the call to HQ and get this going. Compare that to the morons at UA who didn't even bother to ask anyone whether it was ok to give out $600 not $300 in compensation. Amazing and way to go DL!

Ziyulu

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:23 am

I'm not surprised. On my last flight with AA, I felt they handled the delay horribly. I was proactive and wanted to take an earlier flight and they wanted to charge a change fee.

Pellegrine

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:51 am

All these AA cancellations have me worried for my summer travels from DCA since they're my primary carrier now. That sure is nice of DL though.
oh boy, here we go!!!

uadc8contrail

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:02 am

9w748capt wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
N717TW wrote:

OKC's airport isn't that big - I'm sure it didn't take long for word to travel of this predicament. People talk. Regardless of how DL came to know about this situation, it's incredible that the DL employees felt empowered enough to make the call to HQ and get this going. Compare that to the morons at UA who didn't even bother to ask anyone whether it was ok to give out $600 not $300 in compensation. Amazing and way to go DL!

9w,
what does UA have to do with this thread?
Bus Driver

NWADTWE16

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:10 am

AA may have entered into an interline again (not 100% sure of this) , but either way they do not use it when asked. I spent the last two days dealing with this believe me. AA doesn't care, DL does, that's the bottom line
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

BNORD1

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:28 am

In the 60's, airlines cooperated quite often. American was the only "difficult one, to work with". We worked closely with Delta with IROPS, both directions. There was a little document called an FIM "flight interruption manifest" and didn't require tickets to be re-issued. I used it often to re-route passengers on other airlines.

compensateme

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:32 am

crjflyboy wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
compensateme wrote:

If one airline provides a free flight as a charitable act when another airline cancels, that is a big deal.

The topic title says "free", as in this was a pro-bono contribution from Delta to a group of students. If so, a great gesture. If not, the topic title is very misleading and needs to be changed immediately.

This was not a scheduled flight … their are no scheduled flights between OKC and RIC … NONE

Now go sit in the corner with your dunce cap on

Who said it was a scheduled flight? I said it was a cool gesture by DL, but the financial aspect of this thread is misleading - they had valid flight coupons on AA and surely DL collected and intends on redeeming them.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

crjflyboy

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:41 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:
AA may have entered into an interline again (not 100% sure of this) , but either way they do not use it when asked. I spent the last two days dealing with this believe me. AA doesn't care, DL does, that's the bottom line

Exactly ... DL has always cared ... might be a southern culture thing

usxguy

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:53 am

But AA would have to push control over to Delta or reissue those flight coupons. Airlines just can't arbitrarily try to "grab" an ETR.
xx

Super80Fan

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:56 am

AA doesn't have any human employees at OKC, there are only "dragons" who help load up the flights. Glad to see a nice PR move on Delta's part.

I miss the old days where airlines would step in and allow other airline passengers to go on their flights, now it's "too bad, so sad, either take a flight a week later or go pay $900 for a last minute ticket on that other airline". Humanity in the airline industry no longer exists.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

Super80Fan

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:57 am

usxguy wrote:
But AA would have to push control over to Delta or reissue those flight coupons. Airlines just can't arbitrarily try to "grab" an ETR.

I'm assuming they happily did as AA employees generally have the mindset of "not my problem".
RIP McDonnell Douglas

crjflyboy

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:05 am

Super80Fan wrote:
AA doesn't have any human employees at OKC, there are only "dragons" who help load up the flights. Glad to see a nice PR move on Delta's part.

I miss the old days where airlines would step in and allow other airline passengers to go on their flights, now it's "too bad, so sad, either take a flight a week later or go pay $900 for a last minute ticket on that other airline". Humanity in the airline industry no longer exists.

DL, AS, HA still operate in the old ways in treating people ...

9w748capt

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:05 am

Super80Fan wrote:
usxguy wrote:

I'm assuming they happily did as AA employees generally have the mindset of "not my problem".

Totally agree - OKC has literally the laziest, most unhelpful employees of any AA station IMO, and that's saying a lot!

usflyer msp

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:18 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:

Yes they do. I have personally been rebooked on DL.
AA does have a published policy that if you don't have status you are not getting rebooked on another carrier however...

grbauc

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 am

Has nobody learned yet that there might be more to the story????
Maybe this is what happened

AA flight canceled they don’t have anything immediately to help for it scrambling around Delta gets asked they have an answer for it they step the in.

It’s 2019 everybody should have enough experience and realizing that the lack of credibility of stories and whole story not out yet that causes jumping the gun and egg on the face to slow our roll.

slowrambler

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:29 am

grbauc wrote:

Well, what we have learned is that DL is extremely good at playing the PR game. I'm certain it's not general company policy to fly RJs around the country handing out "free" rides.

max999

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:16 am

slowrambler wrote:
grbauc wrote:

Well, what we have learned is that DL is extremely good at playing the PR game. I'm certain it's not general company policy to fly RJs around the country handing out "free" rides.

In order to play a good PR game DL has empowered its employees, including those who are low and mid level, to make bigger decisions. Also, these employees think outside the box. This is a cultural difference that makes it hard for AA and UA to compete against DL.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

fjnovak1

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:59 am

Its amazing to me how many people on here get their rocks off by trying to discredit a great effort by DL and their employees.
Go Blue!!

smokeybandit

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:32 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

The trip was to Richmond, not DC.

iad51fl

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Delta added a section in the system and made it bookable, AA pushed over the e-tickets or DL pulled them over and the flight was completed as a standard commercial flight. The A/C was probably going to be a repo anyway, might as well make some money on it. I have always pushed for airlines to use their social media staff/airport staff to look for creative solutions to make money off repos instead of flying an empty plane. Continental used to use repos for employee only flights between hubs when delays have caused a backlog of non-rev passengers, not money making but helps out stuck employees.

"Delta's team in Oklahoma City booked each of the 41 students and chaperones and delivered the good news that the group would not only be making the trip to Richmond, but they would do so on a "private plane" – one of Delta's CRJ-900 jets occupied by them alone."
Enjoying the view of KIAH approach end of 27. 29.980548, -95.271201

FlyHossD

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:11 pm

iad51fl wrote:
Delta added a section in the system and made it bookable, AA pushed over the e-tickets or DL pulled them over and the flight was completed as a standard commercial flight. The A/C was probably going to be a repo anyway, might as well make some money on it. I have always pushed for airlines to use their social media staff/airport staff to look for creative solutions to make money off repos instead of flying an empty plane. Continental used to use repos for employee only flights between hubs when delays have caused a backlog of non-rev passengers, not money making but helps out stuck employees.

"Delta's team in Oklahoma City booked each of the 41 students and chaperones and delivered the good news that the group would not only be making the trip to Richmond, but they would do so on a "private plane" – one of Delta's CRJ-900 jets occupied by them alone."

"Continental used to use repos for employee only flights between hubs when delays have caused a backlog of non-rev passengers, not money making but helps out stuck employees." That kind of thing apparently still happens; I had two former co-workers get on a ferry flight out of IAH after Hurricane Harvey swamped the Houston area (their house flooded the day after the rain ended when the Corp of Engineers opened the flood gates to prevent the levy from bursting).
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

diverdave

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:18 pm

usxguy wrote:

NWA had a program called BUMPs (Bring Us More Passengers). Sometimes NWA could get the coupon, sometimes they could not.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-a ... ix-nw.html

WayexTDI

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:10 pm

fjnovak1 wrote:
Its amazing to me how many people on here get their rocks off by trying to discredit a great effort by DL and their employees.

Exactly. DL is the airline people on a.net love to hate.

Did DL do this as pure philanthropy? No, of course. They will get great PR out of this, most likely much more than the actual cost of the flight.
But, at the end of the day, they helped a group of people who were stranded; and that's all that counts.

mcg

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:46 pm

I'm curious as to how high up the DL management chain was this decision made? Was the airplane used a 'spare' in the network on standby for some unforeseen circumstance or was it simply a slow day with an unused aircraft parked? How long did it take to organize the whole operation?

Sorry for slightly dumb questions, any info appreciated.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:12 pm

A couple of points to include:

#1) if we are mentioning Eastern Airlines, then we are going back to the 80's, and one must remember that even in that first generation after deregulation, airplanes were NOT always flying full. There was something on one of the big three "Evening News", back at this time, about airline employees acting as "poachers", trying to convince passengers to change their tickets at the airport, for sport.

With Eastern Airlines operating on fumes at this point, with multiple cancellations all over the place, it is not surprising at all for Delta to poach customers.

In today's world, with planes already flying at near 100% capacity (when is the LAST time you didn't hear "we have a completely sold out flight today!" before boarding?), poaching customers isn't necessary. The front of the plane is full of very loyal customers, and the cargo holds are full, paying the bills, and the coach seats are usually gravy. There just isn't capacity to poach customers the way there used to be.

#2) Every "charitable" act, such as what Delta did, can be written off Delta's taxes in one way or another. It didn't "cost" Delta anything, really, except the re-arrangement of schedules and crew. The good will, however, they receive from this cannot be purchased with money.

#3) Am I correct that the east coast has been inundated with late-spring thunderstorms and voluminous amounts of rain, cancelling or delaying hundreds of flights in this time period? I can see how every airline might have planes and crews stuck at distant locations.

spinotter

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:20 pm

uadc8contrail wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

9w,
what does UA have to do with this thread?

I think the connection is in 9w's mind, that is, praise DL and downgrade UA wherever possible!

spinotter

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:24 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
fjnovak1 wrote:

Did DL do this as pure philanthropy? No, of course. They will get great PR out of this, most likely much more than the actual cost of the flight.
But, at the end of the day, they helped a group of people who were stranded; and that's all that counts.

Wayex - I don't think that DL is the airline people love to hate on a.net. It has been UA and now more AA, but DL is the airline that people envy and emulate. Any company making double the others' has to be admired, right? But what percentage of the motivation was altruism, and what percentage profit motive? Hard to say outside the secret halls of ATL.

9w748capt

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:34 pm

spinotter wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
fjnovak1 wrote:

Wayex - I don't think that DL is the airline people love to hate on a.net. It has been UA and now more AA, but DL is the airline that people envy and emulate. Any company making double the others' has to be admired, right? But what percentage of the motivation was altruism, and what percentage profit motive? Hard to say outside the secret halls of ATL.

I don't think there's any question DL did this with the bottom line in mind. To DL management the goodwill they'd establish by helping this group out far outweighs the cost. That's the difference between the idiot bean counters at AA and actual DL employees who care and are empowered to make a difference.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos