NWAESC

Re: Delta saves the day with free charter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:16 am

Boof02671 wrote:
It wasn’t delta mainline it was a regional jet operator.

So what?

The only people that care about that kind of specificity are avgeeks like all of us. For all intents and purposes, it was "AA" that canceled and "DL" that came through.

When this story comes up at dinner parties, I can almost guarantee no one's gonna say either "Endeavor" or "CRJ."
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

capejet

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:23 am

NWAESC wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

So what?

The only people that care about that kind of specificity are avgeeks like all of us. For all intents and purposes, it was "AA" that canceled and "DL" that came through.

When this story comes up at dinner parties, I can almost guarantee no one's gonna say either "Endeavor" or "CRJ."

Exactly correct. On the network news tonight there was no mention of the commuter carriers. Just the bad guy "AA", and the good guy "DL".

77H

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:03 am

crjflyboy wrote:
bmw123 wrote:
On June 3rd. A group of OKC students heading to Washington for a class trip were left without a flight when their American Airlines flight was cancelled. The 41 students planned the class trip a year ago and were understandably quite disappointed.
Luckily Delta came to the rescue and sent a CRJ-900 from Atlanta to help out. Pretty amazing an airline would provide this charter flight in days when almost all airline publicity is negative.

https://news.delta.com/we-re-here-help- ... competitor

Another black eye for AMERICAN and likely hundreds of new loyal customers for DELTA in return.

They do this all the time ... go out of their way

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... indow.html

I remember flying through Atlanta on an Eastern flight in the early 80's ... Eastern cancelled the flight and Delta people were right their booking Eastern passengers on their next flight at no extra cost ... I never flew an Eastern again after that.

I seem to remember HA doing something like this a year or so ago to help a group of school kids that ran into trouble traveling interisland.

77H

WayexTDI

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:50 pm

capejet wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

So what?

Exactly correct. On the network news tonight there was no mention of the commuter carriers. Just the bad guy "AA", and the good guy "DL".

It's not just that.

The initial contract was between AA and the students; if AA decided to subcontract the flying, that's their problem not the passenger.
Same for DL: they instructed whoever they chose to go that route, and paid for it.

Who does the actual flying is critical when it comes to which AOC is used in case of accident and all.
However, for the customer, they had a contract with AA (or DL, or UA) and that's who's responsible to them.

9w748capt

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
According to AA flight status OKC-DCA is Republic

Hey so are you guys still working by the book? I asked earlier and you conveniently didn't answer. Just need to know if I should stick with AA and maybe make it, or pay a bit more to Delta and actually get where I'm going.

Boof02671

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Not putting anything out on Social Media.

diverdave

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:20 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Realistically, you are never going to find 41 seats on another carrier so that would not have made any difference in this case. Anyway, every other carrier a has the same policy so they would have been in the same situation if they had not booked AA.

I am unaware of such a policy at Delta. Can you provide a reference for your assertion?

INFINITI329

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:01 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Hey so are you guys still working by the book? I asked earlier and you conveniently didn't answer. Just need to know if I should stick with AA and maybe make it, or pay a bit more to Delta and actually get where I'm going.

You don't think employees should work by their FAA approved manual?

JAMBOJET

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

Pretty sure you’ve told everyone on another thread you’re not current AA or union. How would you know?
Last edited by JAMBOJET on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junction

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 pm

longhauler wrote:
I am very curious how this played out. Knowng the internal workings of large airlines, it all seems so unlikely, yet ... it DID happen.

Namely, in OKC, you have 41 passengers (among others) inconvenienced by a cancellation. Of course, AA would look at all options and DL being one of the options would have been asked. At what point in time did any Customer Service Supervisor of either airline dare imagine that there would be an empty airplane passing overhead headed toward the northeast!

At the same time, you have DL System Operational Control in ATL managing the repositioning of an empty aircraft to the northeast for future use. As it happens all the time, it is very unlikely they would be calling stations along the way asking if anyone needed a ride.

So ... how did the two wires get connected?

As mentioned above DL strands passengers from time to time. It is not like it is a normal occurrence to snag an otherwise empty aircraft. So I can't imagine it would be normal protocal to call up ATL and ask if there was a spare aircraft to use. Notwithstanding, this was an AA "stranding" so DL's Operations wouldn't have been involved nor even aware.

So I am curious how one in need eventually connected to the right person to fix the need.

All very good questions, but we're not likely going to get those answers here. Anet postings tend to focus more on customer service and media reaction than any of the operational details.

Boof02671

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:23 pm

JAMBOJET wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Pretty sure you’ve told everyone on another thread you’re not current AA or union. How would you know?

Still very connected.

9w748capt

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:01 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

You don't think employees should work by their FAA approved manual?

Hahaha, you know damn well that's not what "by the book" means. Don't be ridiculous.

Boof02671

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Oh yes it does. Always work by the book, safety first

qf789

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:24 pm

Thread has gone off topic and will be locked
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos