Page 1 of 2

Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:00 am
by Draken21fx
All the info can be found here https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20190609/local/ryanair-to-set-up-a-new-airline-based-in-malta.712313

The most important points:

- Malta Air will be based in Malta
- Ryanair's fleet based in Malta will be doubled (from 5 to 10 planes) and transferred to Malta Air
- Maintenance facilities to be built in Malta
- Maltese government to hold shares and have a veto right in the new venture

Personal comments

- Luqa airport is big enough for a new hangar and lets not forget Lufthansa Technik has a branch on the island. Hi Fly is based on the island as well
- Although the runways in Luqa are perfectly fine the apron and the terminal is running at capacity during summer, expansion will be needed asap if plans are to materialise
- Funny fact - MLA will have more destinations than LHR this summer
- They must have gotten a very sweet deal, similar to the one they got recently in Poland. Let's not forget that Malta was chasing the EU registry of Easyjet planes as well (lost to Austria)
- It has been rumored that Air Malta (the legacy airline which the government controls as well) will be one of the launch customers of the A321XLR so it makes sense for them to focus on mid-long range flights and leave the intra-EU ones to Malta Air
- In the past one could buy Air Malta tickets through the Ryanair website so those talks must have started a few months back
- Malta Air vs Air Malta...it is going to be a mess for the average Joe

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:06 am
by IndianicWorld
Is Malta Air just an operational name behind the scenes? If it is Malta Air, I agree with your last point, not exactly wise.

Ryanair certainly are mixing up their strategy. Interesting times.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:15 am
by Harshil9
Sorry but how does Malta have more destinations than LHR??

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:22 am
by OA940
Will this be a completely new brand with a different livery etc, or will it be like what Sun was? Also with Buzz, and now this, FR sure is expanding its reach.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:26 am
by Draken21fx
Harshil9 wrote:
Sorry but how does Malta have more destinations than LHR??


https://www.fly4free.com/flight-deals/europe/malta-will-have-more-european-connections-than-london-heathrow-10-new-routes/

This is quite something – when you consider that with these new additions, Malta will have more European connections than Heathrow, said David O’Brien, the airline’s chief commercial officer.


*Should have mentioned European. My bad.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:46 am
by AWACSooner
I wonder how many will show up at the AirMalta (KM) counter thinking they have a flight with them and instead booking their flights with Malta Air??

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:10 am
by Pyrex
Harshil9 wrote:
Sorry but how does Malta have more destinations than LHR??


Yeah, I call bullshit on that as well (link provided notwithstand).

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:44 am
by Galwayman
it Sounds a bit like the deal MOL offered the Cypriots , a hub and spoke lcc linking Europe with presumably places like Tel Aviv , Amman etc

An excellent idea , possibly a game changer , A Malta branded version of Pegasus’s airways with the operational expertise of FR

Look forward to flying this new airline

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:49 am
by Galwayman
I would have thought lots of FR bases have more European flights than Heathrow ... even Stansted must have more European flights than Heathrow ...??

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:19 am
by continental004
Malta Air? Couldn't come up with a more creative name and not confuse the average traveling Joe?

I'm happy to see Malta getting more attention and flights. I (American) visited the country in April and absolutely loved it. Another American friend of mine visited just a week ago and she also loved it.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:25 am
by Tartarus
All is not what it seems...

The crew based in the French bases of Marseille and Bordeaux are transferring to French labour contracts, from Irish ones.
There have been issues with the payroll and tax logistics of this.
All the French based crew are now being transferred to the Malta based AOC being formed.
It's purely just a shell company to facilitate the transfer.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:58 am
by bennett123
Wonder how a Maltese contract compares to a French one.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:00 am
by BooDog
Harshil9 wrote:
Sorry but how does Malta have more destinations than LHR??


They meant to say more "european" destinations, as the linked article states. LHR has more destinations total.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:45 am
by MartijnNL
continental004 wrote:
I'm happy to see Malta getting more attention and flights. I (American) visited the country in April and absolutely loved it. Another American friend of mine visited just a week ago and she also loved it.

I went to Malta for the first time this February. What I liked most about the holiday were the flights to and from the island with great views on the way. The destination itself not so much. The local environment is filthy, the island is overpopulated and the noise and pollution of all the traffic is terrible. I really could do without all those things. I don't think I will visit Malta again. There are more pleasant destinations to choose from.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:49 am
by Tartarus
bennett123 wrote:
Wonder how a Maltese contract compares to a French one.

There will be no Maltese contract. They crew will be on French contracts, but based on a Maltese AOC instead of an Irish AOC.
This is all a paperwork exercise.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:04 am
by SCQ83
Tartarus wrote:
It's purely just a shell company to facilitate the transfer.


I doubt it is only about that. Air Malta is small government-owned airline that does not turn a profit.

The government of Malta already subsidies Ryanair. Air Malta sells their flights in Ryanair's website. Interestingly, Air Malta and Ryanair do not compete in any route. Btw Ryanair is already Malta's largest carrier by PAX count.

IMO is easy to guess what is happening here. At some point sooner than later, Air Malta is going to disappear and Malta Air will be the "back up" carrier that will take over all their routes.

MartijnNL wrote:
I went to Malta for the first time this February. What I liked most about the holiday were the flights to and from the island with great views on the way. The destination itself not so much. The local environment is filthy, the island is overpopulated and the noise and pollution of all the traffic is terrible. I really could do without all those things. I don't think I will visit Malta again. There are more pleasant destinations to choose from.


I agree. I went to Malta once in low-season and was shocked about how overbuilt, overcrowded, traffic-jammed and dirty was the whole place, despite having some nice places like Mdina and the old city in Valetta. In summer with boiling hot weather, pretty much no beaches and tourists everywhere must be literally hell. It was not either particularly cheap; at Greece/Southern Italy/Spain levels or more expensive. Easily the least interesting Mediterranean destination I have been to (and I have been to pretty much all the major ones).

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:54 am
by Blerg
So will this be some sort of Maltese version of Lauda?

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:58 am
by marcogr12
If it 's just a shell company will they fly the aircraft with FR livery? Or will they repaint them like BuzzAir?I agree that Malta Air will create some confusion with Air Malta

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:28 pm
by eicvd
There’ll be no space left on the Maltese register soon!

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:22 pm
by Aisak
Tartarus wrote:
All is not what it seems...

The crew based in the French bases of Marseille and Bordeaux are transferring to French labour contracts, from Irish ones.
There have been issues with the payroll and tax logistics of this.
All the French based crew are now being transferred to the Malta based AOC being formed.
It's purely just a shell company to facilitate the transfer.


Tartarus wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Wonder how a Maltese contract compares to a French one.

There will be no Maltese contract. They crew will be on French contracts, but based on a Maltese AOC instead of an Irish AOC.
This is all a paperwork exercise.


Wait WHAT??!!!??

The (lack of) HR department at Ryanair really puzzles me. So there are people with a legal residence in France employed by an Irish company (or agent, intermediary, tempo work office.... or even freelance) with the pretext that they will be working on Irish soil (the fleet flies under the Irish flag)
Courts all around the EU rule against this practice and settle that local contracts have to be signed under the applicable laws from the place where the worker is based.

And now this? If these French crew under French law are going to be employed by Malta Air, then it wont be legal for them to work a Ryainair plane. Is FR planning to withdraw its bases in France and hand hem over Malta Air?

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:40 pm
by nomadkj
Pyrex wrote:
Harshil9 wrote:
Sorry but how does Malta have more destinations than LHR??


Yeah, I call bullshit on that as well (link provided notwithstand).


Draken21fx meant European destinations.

You can compare MLA vs. LHR flights here:
https://www.flightconnections.com/flights-from-malta-mla
https://www.flightconnections.com/flights-from-london-lhr

LHR does definitely have more destinations than MLA, but it seems like MLA does have more European destinations than LHR.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:09 pm
by ScottB
nomadkj wrote:
LHR does definitely have more destinations than MLA, but it seems like MLA does have more European destinations than LHR.


It's an interesting statistic but also not especially meaningful. One might observe that Allegiant is tied for first place at LAS in terms of non-stop destinations served (both G4 and WN serve 54 airports non-stop from LAS) but WN offers about 7x the number of weekly seats as G4.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:35 pm
by nomadkj
ScottB wrote:
It's an interesting statistic but also not especially meaningful. One might observe that Allegiant is tied for first place at LAS in terms of non-stop destinations served (both G4 and WN serve 54 airports non-stop from LAS) but WN offers about 7x the number of weekly seats as G4.


Agreed, but still interesting to see that Ryanair with Malta Air, and their sales agreement with Air Malta, will attain (almost) a monopoly on flights from/to the whole island of Malta.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:34 pm
by seansasLCY
It's official: https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryan ... malta-air/

From the press release:
Switch 6 Malta based aircraft (worth over $600m) onto the Maltese register
200 Malta based crew move onto local contracts paying local Maltese taxes
Increase its Malta based fleet to 10 aircraft within three years and create over 350 jobs
Brand its Malta based fleet in Malta Air colours (see attached) for Summer 2020
Move Ryanair based aircraft from France, Italy and Germany onto the Malta AOC which will allow these crews to pay their income taxes locally in France, Italy and Germany instead of Ireland where they are currently required to pay income taxes under Ryanair’s Irish AOC.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:46 pm
by seansasLCY
Not the most attractive of new livery: https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1138442187384008711

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:52 pm
by VCy
seansasLCY wrote:
Not the most attractive of new livery: https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1138442187384008711


Looks like a Lauda & Air Malta combo.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:54 pm
by seansasLCY
It's basically Ryanair with dark red and a grey tail.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:01 pm
by SCQ83
So when will they start taking over Air Malta?

"Increase its Malta based fleet to 10 aircraft within three years and create over 350 jobs"

I assume by 2022, Air Malta will be history.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:13 pm
by oldannyboy
SCQ83 wrote:
Tartarus wrote:
It's purely just a shell company to facilitate the transfer.


I doubt it is only about that. Air Malta is small government-owned airline that does not turn a profit.

The government of Malta already subsidies Ryanair. Air Malta sells their flights in Ryanair's website. Interestingly, Air Malta and Ryanair do not compete in any route. Btw Ryanair is already Malta's largest carrier by PAX count.

IMO is easy to guess what is happening here. At some point sooner than later, Air Malta is going to disappear and Malta Air will be the "back up" carrier that will take over all their routes.

MartijnNL wrote:
I went to Malta for the first time this February. What I liked most about the holiday were the flights to and from the island with great views on the way. The destination itself not so much. The local environment is filthy, the island is overpopulated and the noise and pollution of all the traffic is terrible. I really could do without all those things. I don't think I will visit Malta again. There are more pleasant destinations to choose from.


I agree. I went to Malta once in low-season and was shocked about how overbuilt, overcrowded, traffic-jammed and dirty was the whole place, despite having some nice places like Mdina and the old city in Valetta. In summer with boiling hot weather, pretty much no beaches and tourists everywhere must be literally hell. It was not either particularly cheap; at Greece/Southern Italy/Spain levels or more expensive. Easily the least interesting Mediterranean destination I have been to (and I have been to pretty much all the major ones).


To be honest I think you and Martijn are really doing a terrible disservice to Malta, which is an island with an incredibly rich history, amazing monuments, and some really pretty stunning small town. Not to mention the prehistoric temples, the many baroque churches that dot the countryside, the stunning seas, the incredible high cliffs at Dingli, the old fishermen villages; and then the island of Gozo with it's amazing old Capital Victoria, and the much smaller and inhabited isle of Comino, which is surrounded by pristine, turquoise waters. I could go on with the open air concerts, the endless cultural activities, the Caravaggio paintings, the many bars and restaurants, the traditional Maltese lace, the many places that are on the UNESCO list, the military (WW 2) and British Empire vestiges, the amazing local culture, the unique local language and architecture.... There's so much more to it than the overcrowding (evident and inevitable on an island that is a mere 316sq Kms). To say then that the place is filthy and horribly polluted is nothing short of a criminal lie. I suggest you re-visit, stay in some nicer area, and check your facts again.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:14 pm
by Galwayman
It’s pretty much a win win for everyone . Air Malta , French and German tax payers , Ryanair , the island of Malta etc .

It’s really good news , well done Ryanair

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:17 pm
by oldannyboy
seansasLCY wrote:
Not the most attractive of new livery: https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1138442187384008711


You must be joking.
It has some color and a proper logo. Compare that to Iberia or CSA. It's a great little colorful livery for a LCC that manages to blend in some local heritage. No mean feat in today's environment!

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:19 pm
by Galwayman
The Cypriots should watch this closely . If Malta can be transformed into a North Africa - Europe transit hub , FR can do the same in Cyprus for Middle East - Europe traffic .... they could double their tourist traffic in a couple of years ...

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:37 pm
by Aisak
[threeid][/threeid]
Galwayman wrote:
The Cypriots should watch this closely . If Malta can be transformed into a North Africa - Europe transit hub , FR can do the same in Cyprus for Middle East - Europe traffic .... they could double their tourist traffic in a couple of years ...


Except for traffic rights and average flight time... yeah, I guess.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:42 pm
by Galwayman
Aisak wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
Galwayman wrote:
The Cypriots should watch this closely . If Malta can be transformed into a North Africa - Europe transit hub , FR can do the same in Cyprus for Middle East - Europe traffic .... they could double their tourist traffic in a couple of years ...


Except for traffic rights and average flight time... yeah, I guess.


Cypriot AOC gives traffic rights and that’s why the Cypriot government need to get their fingers out and do a deal .
FR already flies tlv , amm etc from pro

Beirut is a 45 minute flight . Tel Aviv less than an hour , Every flight to every destination in UAE , Saudi , would be shorter than their current longest flight ...

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:50 pm
by SCQ83
Galwayman wrote:
The Cypriots should watch this closely . If Malta can be transformed into a North Africa - Europe transit hub , FR can do the same in Cyprus for Middle East - Europe traffic .... they could double their tourist traffic in a couple of years ...


Which hub? Air Malta only flies to TUN and they are starting CAI. That is all their Northern Africa traffic.

I agree on the Cyprus part though. If Ryanair was to make a similar agreement with Cyprus and create a "Cyprus Air" (a Cypriot Ryanair), that would give some interesting possibilities. Cyprus has a much better location to reach markets where FR does not fly, like Saudi Arabia or the UAE.

Also from my "criminal lies" :D and my POV Cyprus is a much nicer holiday spot than Malta, and it has much more potential (at least it has plenty of beaches).

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:16 pm
by Galwayman
SCQ83 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
The Cypriots should watch this closely . If Malta can be transformed into a North Africa - Europe transit hub , FR can do the same in Cyprus for Middle East - Europe traffic .... they could double their tourist traffic in a couple of years ...


Which hub? Air Malta only flies to TUN and they are starting CAI. That is all their Northern Africa traffic.

I agree on the Cyprus part though. If Ryanair was to make a similar agreement with Cyprus and create a "Cyprus Air" (a Cypriot Ryanair), that would give some interesting possibilities. Cyprus has a much better location to reach markets where FR does not fly, like Saudi Arabia or the UAE.


Also from my "criminal lies" :D and my POV Cyprus is a much nicer holiday spot than Malta, and it has much more potential (at least it has plenty of beaches).



My understanding of the new Malta Air joint venture is that it’s about creating the hub at Malta that air Malta has been unable to create

Yes agree with you about Cyprus , most expats in Jeddah will pay top dollar for 48 hours on the beautiful island of Cyprus any day ... and maybe have a drink or two while there

Also FR wouldn’t have to divert at every second airspace like all the ME airlines haha

Someone in Cyprus needs to launch a campaign for the Cypriot government to strike a deal

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:45 pm
by SCQ83
Galwayman wrote:
Yes agree with you about Cyprus , most expats in Jeddah will pay top dollar for 48 hours on the beautiful island of Cyprus any day ... and maybe have a drink or two while there

Also FR wouldn’t have to divert at every second airspace like all the ME airlines haha

Someone in Cyprus needs to launch a campaign for the Cypriot government to strike a deal


Well I was not thinking about expats but about GCC locals. There are plenty of Israeli tourists in Cyprus and that is because 1) they don't need visa for Cyprus and 2) flights between Israel and Cyprus are cheap and plentiful.

I guess the main issue is that Saudi citizens still need visa for Cyprus and Schengen. UAE citizens have been visa-free for a while. If Saudis ever get visa-free status to Cyprus and Schengen, it certainly could boost that market for short holidays and city-breaks to Cyprus with an affordable carrier. Specially since Saudis, Emiratis, Kuwaitis, etc. are increasingly more cost-conscious and there are already carriers like FlyNas or FlyDubai connecting KSA/UAE with Antalya or Sharm El Sheikh. And Saudi Arabia is a 25/30-million people country.

And in that case "Cyprus Air" could make LCA a mini-hub for Europe - ME in the same fashion as Aegean in ATH today.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:50 pm
by Breathe
If Air Malta and Malta Air were to ever merge, what would the new airline be called:

Air Malta Air :? :D

Also is it not the case that expats = White western European immigrants who don't think they consider or like to be called immigrants?

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:02 pm
by SXDFC
Will these airplanes wear the 9H regi or will they retain the current EI regi?

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:01 pm
by Blerg
Why should the Cypriot government strike a deal with FR? There is absolutely no need as the market is already well served, at least it is from Larnaca. Furthermore, if they get a Cypriot AOC then they will have issues overflying Turkey which would mean anything beyond Greece, Italy and the Balkans would become uncompetitive, not to mention that they couldn't serve Russia, a market that's as large, if not larger than the UK one.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 pm
by seansasLCY
SXDFC wrote:
Will these airplanes wear the 9H regi or will they retain the current EI regi?


They will be registered in Malta.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:25 pm
by CAFlyer
nomadkj wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
Harshil9 wrote:
Sorry but how does Malta have more destinations than LHR??


Yeah, I call bullshit on that as well (link provided notwithstand).


Draken21fx meant European destinations.

You can compare MLA vs. LHR flights here:
https://www.flightconnections.com/flights-from-malta-mla
https://www.flightconnections.com/flights-from-london-lhr

LHR does definitely have more destinations than MLA, but it seems like MLA does have more European destinations than LHR.


Had to verify the claim that MLA had more European destinations than LHR. Using Diio, pulling the schedule for July, 2019 from MLA to Europe, MLA has 112 destinations scheduled with 2,442 flights. When compared to LHR to Europe, LHR "only" has 95 European destinations, but far more flights at 13,140. The fun fact is indeed true that MLA has more European destinations than LHR, just with far less frequency, which makes sense for a more touristy ULCC served destination versus a more business market.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:34 pm
by MartijnNL
oldannyboy wrote:
(...) Malta, (...) an island with an incredibly rich history, amazing monuments, and some really pretty stunning small town. Not to mention the prehistoric temples, the many baroque churches that dot the countryside, the stunning seas, the incredible high cliffs at Dingli, the old fishermen villages; and then the island of Gozo with it's amazing old Capital Victoria, and the much smaller and inhabited isle of Comino, which is surrounded by pristine, turquoise waters.

All true. And the guidebooks are full with beautiful pictures. But they don't show the plastic garbage next to the roads, the wrecked buildings, the busy traffic, the construction sites, the abandoned shops, the dust...

oldannyboy wrote:
I could go on with the open air concerts, the endless cultural activities, (...), the amazing local culture, the unique local language and architecture....

The local language certainly is interesting.

oldannyboy wrote:
There's so much more to it than the overcrowding (evident and inevitable on an island that is a mere 316sq Kms).

Evident it is indeed, but inevitable? That depends. I prefer visiting for example the Dutch islands. These five islands together measure 405 sq kms and have around 24,000 inhabitants. That's around 60 people per sq km, compared to well over 1,500 for Malta.

oldannyboy wrote:
To say then that the place is filthy and horribly polluted is nothing short of a criminal lie. I suggest you re-visit, stay in some nicer area, and check your facts again.

Unfortunately Malta is just packed with people, it's one of the most densely populated countries in the world. As a result it is not the cleanest or most attractive place to me and other people. It is just too crowded.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:38 pm
by bennett123
If they are switching aircraft/crew from Germany, France and Italy to Malta then surely those Income Taxes will go to Malta.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:41 pm
by bennett123
I last went in 2017 but the country did not look that bad.

Admittedly I wasn’t looking for beaches.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 pm
by f4f3a
Still don’t understand why French crews can’t be on local contracts while airline is in Ireland . French easy crews were flying uk reg planes (now Austrian ) so why change to Malta?
Are fence based aircraft going to be called Malta air ? Or are they flying Ryanair branded aircraft?
Are Ryanair’s affiliate airlines selling tickets on Ryanair website or just on their own

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:14 pm
by Aisak
f4f3a wrote:
Still don’t understand why French crews can’t be on local contracts while airline is in Ireland . French easy crews were flying uk reg planes (now Austrian ) so why change to Malta?

Simple answer? Because it’s Ryanair we’re talking about. They might want to “isolate” Ryanair Ireland preventing them to comply with local laws and push those workers to another legal entity within the group.

Wild guess: If there is a labour conflict with Ryanair in whatever country, there is a company listed at the stock exchange with the same name that takes an immediate bad publicity hit.
The same at a smaller and isolated company called Malta Air based in Malta might not have the same outcome for listed Irish Ryanair DAC.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:41 am
by continental004
MartijnNL wrote:
continental004 wrote:
I'm happy to see Malta getting more attention and flights. I (American) visited the country in April and absolutely loved it. Another American friend of mine visited just a week ago and she also loved it.

I went to Malta for the first time this February. What I liked most about the holiday were the flights to and from the island with great views on the way. The destination itself not so much. The local environment is filthy, the island is overpopulated and the noise and pollution of all the traffic is terrible. I really could do without all those things. I don't think I will visit Malta again. There are more pleasant destinations to choose from.


I agree that the traffic is horrendous (and this is coming from an LA native) and the public transport is inadequate (buses are often crowded and do not run frequently enough) but it would have done you good to get out of urban Malta and see some of the nicer bits of the Maltese islands.

SCQ83 wrote:
I agree. I went to Malta once in low-season and was shocked about how overbuilt, overcrowded, traffic-jammed and dirty was the whole place, despite having some nice places like Mdina and the old city in Valetta. In summer with boiling hot weather, pretty much no beaches and tourists everywhere must be literally hell. It was not either particularly cheap; at Greece/Southern Italy/Spain levels or more expensive. Easily the least interesting Mediterranean destination I have been to (and I have been to pretty much all the major ones).


I found it relatively cheap, not like Greece or the south of Spain but still inexpensive. Honestly I found Malaga and Alicante much less culturally interesting than Malta; those two places offer sun, sand, sea and little else.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:51 am
by continental004
oldannyboy wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Tartarus wrote:
It's purely just a shell company to facilitate the transfer.


I doubt it is only about that. Air Malta is small government-owned airline that does not turn a profit.

The government of Malta already subsidies Ryanair. Air Malta sells their flights in Ryanair's website. Interestingly, Air Malta and Ryanair do not compete in any route. Btw Ryanair is already Malta's largest carrier by PAX count.

IMO is easy to guess what is happening here. At some point sooner than later, Air Malta is going to disappear and Malta Air will be the "back up" carrier that will take over all their routes.

MartijnNL wrote:
I went to Malta for the first time this February. What I liked most about the holiday were the flights to and from the island with great views on the way. The destination itself not so much. The local environment is filthy, the island is overpopulated and the noise and pollution of all the traffic is terrible. I really could do without all those things. I don't think I will visit Malta again. There are more pleasant destinations to choose from.


I agree. I went to Malta once in low-season and was shocked about how overbuilt, overcrowded, traffic-jammed and dirty was the whole place, despite having some nice places like Mdina and the old city in Valetta. In summer with boiling hot weather, pretty much no beaches and tourists everywhere must be literally hell. It was not either particularly cheap; at Greece/Southern Italy/Spain levels or more expensive. Easily the least interesting Mediterranean destination I have been to (and I have been to pretty much all the major ones).


To be honest I think you and Martijn are really doing a terrible disservice to Malta, which is an island with an incredibly rich history, amazing monuments, and some really pretty stunning small town. Not to mention the prehistoric temples, the many baroque churches that dot the countryside, the stunning seas, the incredible high cliffs at Dingli, the old fishermen villages; and then the island of Gozo with it's amazing old Capital Victoria, and the much smaller and inhabited isle of Comino, which is surrounded by pristine, turquoise waters. I could go on with the open air concerts, the endless cultural activities, the Caravaggio paintings, the many bars and restaurants, the traditional Maltese lace, the many places that are on the UNESCO list, the military (WW 2) and British Empire vestiges, the amazing local culture, the unique local language and architecture.... There's so much more to it than the overcrowding (evident and inevitable on an island that is a mere 316sq Kms). To say then that the place is filthy and horribly polluted is nothing short of a criminal lie. I suggest you re-visit, stay in some nicer area, and check your facts again.


100% agreed. They probably never left Sliema or St. Julian's which are exactly the overbuilt, overcrowded and traffic-jammed places they described. They ought to revisit and get out of urban Malta.

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:03 am
by SCQ83
continental004 wrote:
I found it relatively cheap, not like Greece or the south of Spain but still inexpensive. Honestly I found Malaga and Alicante much less culturally interesting than Malta; those two places offer sun, sand, sea and little else.


continental004 wrote:
They probably never left Sliema or St. Julian's which are exactly the overbuilt, overcrowded and traffic-jammed places they described. They ought to revisit and get out of urban Malta.


:lol: I left those areas and that is why I said "despite having some nice places like Mdina and the old city in Valetta".

But you can rarely raise your eye without seeing buildings or construction going on. And other than some old areas most of the island today is 1) suburban areas for locals built without any care for the environment (they reminded me a lot to your average suburb in Amman) or 2) areas like St. Julian's where those buildings are mixed with some international hotels and luxury developments for foreigners that look like out of Dubai.

I agree about Alicante or Málaga being uninteresting cities. But you are picking two of the worst cities in Spain for culture. And nonetheless, you drive 10 km. from each city and you can be in mountains or beaches without crowds, like you have in Corsica, Mallorca, Crete, Cyprus, Sicily, Ibiza or other Mediterranean islands. You drive 10 km. from Valetta and you are in the sea or in some overbuilt village.