Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BoeingVista

Re: Confirmed: 777X First Flight Delayed Due GE9X Issues

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:36 am

GE Aviation is recalling four GE9X powerplants from Boeing to address a previously disclosed engine compressor issue that already forced Boeing to delay the 777X's first flight.

Ohio-based GE Aviation confirms it is shipping four "compliance engines" to its Ohio facilities. Compliance engines are those that will power 777Xs during Boeing's flight tests.

"The GE9X engines are the compliance engines that will be returned for the high-pressure compressor hardware enhancements that GE revealed at the Paris air show," the company tells FlightGlobal. "GE Aviation remains aligned with Boeing on this effort as we work toward first flight" of the 777X.

Boeing did not immediately provide comment.

The Flight test engines will have a huge amount of extra instrumentation on them so easier I guess to tear them down and rebuild than build new units.

This does however mean that Boeing is going to have to wear the embarrassment of having 777-9's parked up rocking concrete blocks hanging from their engine pylons.
BV

jimmy9irons

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:51 am

How do they ship an engine as large as the GE9-X?

RickNRoll

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:53 am

Sounds like the Antonov.

BoeingVista

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:59 am

RickNRoll wrote:
Sounds like the Antonov.

Yup, this was revealed due to Antonov needing to make a public filing in order to fly an intra US route. Engines will be carried in an AN-124, its in the article.
BV

Erebus

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:28 am

BoeingVista wrote:
RickNRoll wrote:
Sounds like the Antonov.

Yup, this was revealed due to Antonov needing to make a public filing in order to fly an intra US route. Engines will be carried in an AN-124, its in the article.

There we have it. GE can't keep everything away from the public eye.

majano

Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:36 am

BoeingVista wrote:
GE Aviation is recalling four GE9X powerplants from Boeing to address a previously disclosed engine compressor issue that already forced Boeing to delay the 777X's first flight.

Ohio-based GE Aviation confirms it is shipping four "compliance engines" to its Ohio facilities. Compliance engines are those that will power 777Xs during Boeing's flight tests.

"The GE9X engines are the compliance engines that will be returned for the high-pressure compressor hardware enhancements that GE revealed at the Paris air show," the company tells FlightGlobal. "GE Aviation remains aligned with Boeing on this effort as we work toward first flight" of the 777X.

Boeing did not immediately provide comment.

The Flight test engines will have a huge amount of extra instrumentation on them so easier I guess to tear them down and rebuild than build new units.

This does however mean that Boeing is going to have to wear the embarrassment of having 777-9's parked up rocking concrete blocks hanging from their engine pylons.

With my non-existent knowledge of engines or flight testing / certification, I wonder whether this development is good or bad? Perhaps good/bad may sound too judgemental. In other words, is this something that was planned when the delay of first flight to 2020 was announced or did GE, initially, expect to install the repaired parts at Boeing's facilities?

Stitch

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:27 pm

majano wrote:
In other words, is this something that was planned when the delay of first flight to 2020 was announced or did GE, initially, expect to install the repaired parts at Boeing's facilities?

Based on the work involved, it would likely need to be done at a GE facility and not "in the field".

Revelation

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Erebus wrote:
BoeingVista wrote:
RickNRoll wrote:
Sounds like the Antonov.

It's perfectly consistent with what GE has already said in the past, that they are making new components and will be installing them in all of the 777x flight test engines.

Why would they want/need to keep this "away from the public eye"?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

BoeingVista

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:43 pm

majano wrote:
With my non-existent knowledge of engines or flight testing / certification, I wonder whether this development is good or bad? Perhaps good/bad may sound too judgemental. In other words, is this something that was planned when the delay of first flight to 2020 was announced or did GE, initially, expect to install the repaired parts at Boeing's facilities?

I'd guess its part of the process. In practical terms no MRO is licenced to work on a GE9X yet anyway so it would have to be RTB.

Stitch wrote:
Based on the work involved, it would likely need to be done at a GE facility and not "in the field".

Splitting a flight test engine on site would be a no no
Last edited by BoeingVista on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BV

Erebus

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Revelation wrote:
Erebus wrote:
BoeingVista wrote:

It's perfectly consistent with what GE has already said in the past, that they are making new components and will be installing them in all of the 777x flight test engines.

Why would they want/need to keep this "away from the public eye"?

Ah right. So, I was wrong then.

zeke

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:56 pm

BoeingVista wrote:
RickNRoll wrote:
Sounds like the Antonov.

How did they get there in the first place ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Spetsnaz55

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:59 pm

zeke wrote:
BoeingVista wrote:
RickNRoll wrote:
Sounds like the Antonov.

Antonov

nycbjr

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:06 pm

Spetsnaz55 wrote:
zeke wrote:
BoeingVista wrote:

Antonov

I was thinking this same thing. How will they get there for production??

Spetsnaz55

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:17 pm

nycbjr wrote:
Spetsnaz55 wrote:
zeke wrote:

Antonov

I was thinking this same thing. How will they get there for production??

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/volg ... -airlines/

ssteve

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:18 pm

Maybe for production it's rail shipped? Fan separate from core? I assume that's how the GE90 gets there.

Spetsnaz55

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:23 pm

ssteve wrote:
Maybe for production it's rail shipped? Fan separate from core? I assume that's how the GE90 gets there.

Once again, they are brought by antonov. I have seen them land and unload here in everett

Stitch

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:28 pm

The GE90 can be disassembled to a fan section and core section and I believe both will fit on a 747 freighter. I have seen the two sections being trucked up I-405 from the SEA area to PAE.

Complete GE90 units need to be delivered via an An-124 and I have seen those "drop-shipped" via such a method to PAE.

Considering the larger fan diameter of the GE9X, I do not know if it can be disassembled and loaded into a 747 freighter or if they will always be shipped as a complete set via An-124.

ssteve

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:27 pm

Spetsnaz55 wrote:
ssteve wrote:

Once again, they are brought by antonov. I have seen them land and unload here in everett

Yeah, you said that. Nonetheless-- All of them? That's the production plan? That's how ALL the GE-90s get there? Seeing an An-124 unloading engines is one thing, but that doesn't make it a long term plan. For instance, they were used to move 787 engines to CHS, but that sounded like a surge, not a long term plan.

AECM

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:43 pm

Stitch wrote:
The GE90 can be disassembled to a fan section and core section and I believe both will fit on a 747 freighter. I have seen the two sections being trucked up I-405 from the SEA area to PAE.

Complete GE90 units need to be delivered via an An-124 and I have seen those "drop-shipped" via such a method to PAE.

Considering the larger fan diameter of the GE9X, I do not know if it can be disassembled and loaded into a 747 freighter or if they will always be shipped as a complete set via An-124.
The GE9X disassembled to fan and core section fit on a B77F so it should also fit on the B747. Lufthansa Technik did a trial test with a mockup GE9X (maybe the one that was displayed at PAS2019).

FLALEFTY

Blancolrio's (Juan Brown) explanation of the 777X's GE9X issue

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:49 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWEPZtA ... ploademail

For those who don't know, Juan Brown is a 777 pilot (currently on medical leave) who has been using his wife's YouTube channel (hence the strange name for the channel) to post videos about goings on in the commercial and general aviation world. Some of you may have watched his videos covering the 737MAX grounding situation. But here he gives a very clear and concise explanation of the GE9X's stator vane problem and how GE is progressing with the vane redesign and rework.

Scotron12

Re: Blancolrio's (Juan Brown) explanation of the 777X's GE9X issue

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:47 am

He's not optomistic on the engine being certified by middle of 2020, is he?

And whoever posted on twitter that the "repairs" were complete and engines getting shipped back to Boeing....wishful thinking I guess.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos