Volaris320
Topic Author
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Recently when I was looking for flights between Guadalajara and Albuquerque, I noticed that after 3 June 2019, I couldn't find the non-stop flights that were offered. Going from GDL to ABQ, now you have switch planes in DEN and have a 6 hour layover there, and fly to ABQ on Frontier. And if you want to go to GDL from ABQ, I noticed there weren't any flights found. Does this tell us that Volaris just cancelled its ABQ-GDL flights? If that's the case, then I would just have to fly to Ciudad Juárez (CJS) from either Guadalajara or León/Bajío airport (I live in Guanajuato City) and cross into the U.S. via El Paso, TX, and bus it to Albuquerque the next day. I really wanted to take advantage of skipping Juarez and El Paso entirely when going to the U.S.

However, Volaris is beginning its Chihuahua-Albuquerque flights later this month, I think around the 17th.
 
User avatar
knope2001
Posts: 2919
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:54 am

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Volaris320 wrote:
Recently when I was looking for flights between Guadalajara and Albuquerque, I noticed that after 3 June 2019, I couldn't find the non-stop flights that were offered. Going from GDL to ABQ, now you have switch planes in DEN and have a 6 hour layover there, and fly to ABQ on Frontier. And if you want to go to GDL from ABQ, I noticed there weren't any flights found. Does this tell us that Volaris just cancelled its ABQ-GDL flights? If that's the case, then I would just have to fly to Ciudad Juárez (CJS) from either Guadalajara or León/Bajío airport (I live in Guanajuato City) and cross into the U.S. via El Paso, TX, and bus it to Albuquerque the next day. I really wanted to take advantage of skipping Juarez and El Paso entirely when going to the U.S.

However, Volaris is beginning its Chihuahua-Albuquerque flights later this month, I think around the 17th.


Yes, Volaris pulled GDL-ABQ from their schedule several weeks back. It has been averaging just a few dozen passengers per trip so they are trying Chihuahua instead -- hopefully that performs better for them.
 
Volaris320
Topic Author
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 pm

knope2001 wrote:
Volaris320 wrote:
Recently when I was looking for flights between Guadalajara and Albuquerque, I noticed that after 3 June 2019, I couldn't find the non-stop flights that were offered. Going from GDL to ABQ, now you have switch planes in DEN and have a 6 hour layover there, and fly to ABQ on Frontier. And if you want to go to GDL from ABQ, I noticed there weren't any flights found. Does this tell us that Volaris just cancelled its ABQ-GDL flights? If that's the case, then I would just have to fly to Ciudad Juárez (CJS) from either Guadalajara or León/Bajío airport (I live in Guanajuato City) and cross into the U.S. via El Paso, TX, and bus it to Albuquerque the next day. I really wanted to take advantage of skipping Juarez and El Paso entirely when going to the U.S.

However, Volaris is beginning its Chihuahua-Albuquerque flights later this month, I think around the 17th.


Yes, Volaris pulled GDL-ABQ from their schedule several weeks back. It has been averaging just a few dozen passengers per trip so they are trying Chihuahua instead -- hopefully that performs better for them.


I hope the CHI-ABQ route works better, and just a decade ago, AeroMexico Connect flew that route. That said, I wonder if Volaris were to launch ABQ-MEX, ABQ-MTY, ABQ-PVR, and ABQ-CUN, if those routes would work out better than ABQ-GDL. I would suspect at least Mexico City would work out better than Guadalajara because the former is a more international city and Mexico's economic powerhouse. Mexico City has a lot of international flights, not just to destinations in the U.S.

I would definitely think that Albuquerque-Puerto Vallarta and Albuquerque-Cancun would work out for sure, especially because a lot of UNM students go to Cancun during spring break. And if there were to be an Albuquerque-Cancun flights, I would say Southwest would most likely fly the route.
 
jjbiv
Posts: 1224
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2001 10:58 am

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:24 am

MEX is slot restricted and Volaris has not had much success in beach routes from the US. VFR routes are their bread and butter. ABQ-CUU strikes me as a very short route for them to pull much traffic away from car and bus travel but we will see how it performs.
 
Gregd75
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:11 pm

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:54 am

How about flying GDL to Chihuahua, and then take the flight Chihuahua to Albuquerque? Couldn’t that work?

I just looked on the Volaris website and there’s a flight leaving Gdl at 7.21am arriving at 8.13am
The Albuquerque flight leaves at 10.40am so you’d have time to make the switch.

This must be easier than flying to Juarez, taking a bus/taxi to cross the border, go to the bus station and traveling into Albuquerque.

I know it’s not ideal, but not too bad a solution, is it?
 
COPolynesianPub
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:57 am

Volaris also flies from RNO to GDL. They announced their afternoon departure to GDL yesterday while I waited for my flight to DEN. That caught me by surprise!
 
Volaris320
Topic Author
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:43 am

I'm noticing Volaris is no longer offering ABQ-CUU flights. However, I was on the CUU-ABQ flight last Tuesday, which operated an A320neo. If Volaris cancels the ABQ-CUU route, might as well fly into CJS, cross the border, and then take a bus from El Paso to Albuquerque.
 
Volaris320
Topic Author
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:48 am

Anyways, here are some routes within Mexico I think would be feasible for Volaris to operate:

- Ciudad Juárez — Torreón
- Chihuahua — León/Bajío
- Torreón — León/Bajío or Torreón — Mexico City
- Ciudad Juárez — Querétaro
- Guadalajara — Piedras Negras
 
hpff
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:20 am

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:51 am

Volaris320 wrote:
I'm noticing Volaris is no longer offering ABQ-CUU flights. However, I was on the CUU-ABQ flight last Tuesday, which operated an A320neo. If Volaris cancels the ABQ-CUU route, might as well fly into CJS, cross the border, and then take a bus from El Paso to Albuquerque.


Well, that was fast. I know it's meaningless, but how full was the plane?
 
Antarius
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:23 am

Volaris320 wrote:
Recently when I was looking for flights between Guadalajara and Albuquerque, I noticed that after 3 June 2019, I couldn't find the non-stop flights that were offered. Going from GDL to ABQ, now you have switch planes in DEN and have a 6 hour layover there, and fly to ABQ on Frontier. And if you want to go to GDL from ABQ, I noticed there weren't any flights found. Does this tell us that Volaris just cancelled its ABQ-GDL flights? If that's the case, then I would just have to fly to Ciudad Juárez (CJS) from either Guadalajara or León/Bajío airport (I live in Guanajuato City) and cross into the U.S. via El Paso, TX, and bus it to Albuquerque the next day. I really wanted to take advantage of skipping Juarez and El Paso entirely when going to the U.S.

However, Volaris is beginning its Chihuahua-Albuquerque flights later this month, I think around the 17th.


Why not go GDL-DFW/IAH-ABQ? Yes it is 50% ish more miles in the air, but it has to be faster than the El Paso - Juarez jaunt.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHTYYZ DEN DOH BLR MAA TXL MEX
 
PA12
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:41 am

It would be nice to have Volaris to ELP from CUU. And ELP ABQ. Thinking about a number of years ago multiple flights between the two cities on WN, CO, DL, WA, F9 ( old & new).... today, only buses.
 
Volaris320
Topic Author
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:59 am

PA12 wrote:
It would be nice to have Volaris to ELP from CUU. And ELP ABQ. Thinking about a number of years ago multiple flights between the two cities on WN, CO, DL, WA, F9 ( old & new).... today, only buses.


I remember when Southwest flew ABQ-ELP. In early 2001 when my family and I went to San Antonio, we flew on Southwest there from Albuquerque. Both ways, we stayed on the same plane but made a stopover in El Paso (stopping without changing planes is typical when flying WN, and I don't know any other airline that does that -- none of the low-cost Mexican airlines do that). Southwest also used to fly Albuquerque-Amarillo and Albuquerque-Lubbock. Now it's only bus, or if you fly you have to connect in Dallas Love Field or Austin (if WN flies ABQ-AUS nonstop). If you want to fly ABQ-ELP, you have to change planes in PHX.
 
Volaris320
Topic Author
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:47 am

I don't do GDL/BJX-IAH/DFW-ABQ because it's more expensive, and Houston and Dallas are also out of the way. I like to take more direct routes.
 
PA12
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:06 am

And there was Servicios Aéreos Leo Lopez and later Aeromexico Connect, ELP CUU. And ELP MEX on CO. Better than crossing the border to CJS. Long gone. And no more ABQ, LBB, TUS, etc. no MCO, DTW, NYC, SFO, no nothing¡ Now that’s real progress ELP airport staff... better take a bus...Keep it up!!! Way to go!!!
 
Alias1024
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:13 am

Re: Did Volaris cancel the Albuquerque-Guadalajara route?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:34 am

Article on the cancellation of CUU-ABQ, with ABQ considering legal action against Volaris.
http://www.abqjournal.com/1335609/ay-ch ... elled.html
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos