Aurantiaco
Topic Author

Why did Eastern II fail?

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Why did Eastern fail? My guess would be the set of circumstances that preceded before they commenced operations, like tariffs and other economic factors. What happened, and did a similar thing happen to airline revivals like this, I.e. Pan Am II and III?

SPREE34

Re: Why did Eastern II fail?

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Short version? Mismanagement and an egomaniacal union leader whose actions lead the company into the hands of a feckless corporate raider. Nobody won, except the corporate raider.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

Polot

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:45 pm

SPREE34 wrote:
Short version? Mismanagement and an egomaniacal union leader whose actions lead the company into the hands of a feckless corporate raider. Nobody won, except the corporate raider.

He is talking about the revival.

Eastern II never started scheduled ops (I think due to lack of money to get necessary certificates), and their primary charter market (Cuba) got a lot more competition when US airlines were able to start their own scheduled flights.

MO11

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Polot wrote:
SPREE34 wrote:

Eastern II never started scheduled ops (I think due to lack of money to get necessary certificates), and their primary charter market (Cuba) got a lot more competition when US airlines were able to start their own scheduled flights.

Is the OP talking about the Marty Shugrue - run operation from 1990 (-1991), or the most recent 737 operation?

727LOVER

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 pm

MO11 wrote:
Polot wrote:
SPREE34 wrote:

Is the OP talking about the Marty Shugrue - run operation from 1990 (-1991), or the most recent 737 operation?

I'm sorry you guys, but....is it really THAT hard????

THIS ONE

I'm curious to know how large was the fleet?
Too bad we never got to see the MRJ order.

It was nice seeing an airline with cheatlines again !
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

OneSexyL1011

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:39 pm

That livery is just flat out gorgeous on the 737!!

MO11

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:39 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Well, it's obviously not that clear. When people use names such as Eastern II, Braniff II and Pan Am II, it's not exactly crystal clear which iteration of the airline they are talking about.

727LOVER wrote:

I'm curious to know how large was the fleet?

You probably have them all right there: 1 -700, 5 -800s.

FlyingColours

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 pm

MO11 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Well, it's obviously not that clear. When people use names such as Eastern II, Braniff II and Pan Am II, it's not exactly crystal clear which iteration of the airline they are talking about.

Very True, I've just finished the script on an upcoming episode of "Grounded" which looks at National, sorry I mean National II, oh hang one there was a very short lived one I meant National III and not the National IV that is still with us ;)

Sometimes while I think it may be best to let these names stay dead nostalgia takes over and wants to see a line up of Pan Am tails etc...

To talk about the Eastern in question, it's already been pointed out that their main business was operating charter flights, whether it was college sports team charters or others as well as flights to Cuba however when that market was opened up to scheduled flights it stuffed things up for them. What happened next is a bit confusing but at first glance it seems that they were taken over by Swift Air who continue to operate the charter side of things under their own AOC and name with the Eastern name used by Dynamic (a part owner of Swift Air) with the Dynamic fleet now being rebranded and painted up in a hybrid Eastern/Swift Air livery and being used on ACMI flights. At least, that's what I can deduce in 5 minutes from Wikipedia ;)

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

speedbird52

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:02 pm

FlyingColours wrote:
MO11 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Very True, I've just finished the script on an upcoming episode of "Grounded" which looks at National, sorry I mean National II, oh hang one there was a very short lived one I meant National III and not the National IV that is still with us ;)

Sometimes while I think it may be best to let these names stay dead nostalgia takes over and wants to see a line up of Pan Am tails etc...

To talk about the Eastern in question, it's already been pointed out that their main business was operating charter flights, whether it was college sports team charters or others as well as flights to Cuba however when that market was opened up to scheduled flights it stuffed things up for them. What happened next is a bit confusing but at first glance it seems that they were taken over by Swift Air who continue to operate the charter side of things under their own AOC and name with the Eastern name used by Dynamic (a part owner of Swift Air) with the Dynamic fleet now being rebranded and painted up in a hybrid Eastern/Swift Air livery and being used on ACMI flights. At least, that's what I can deduce in 5 minutes from Wikipedia ;)

Phil
FlyingColours

What was the special livery they had on one of their 737s called?

clickhappy

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:27 pm

“Havana Air”

727LOVER

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:46 pm

This one

but this one also flew with that name

...and it was the only aircraft that flew in the colors of People Express II

.not to be confused with People Express
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

drdisque

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:13 pm

PeoplExpress II was operated by Vision Airlines, not by Eastern.

PEOPLExpress II basically was the nail in the coffin for Vision Airlines, after their myriad of misadventures over the last decade, including flying a scheduled 767 from Niagara Falls to Miami, flying a fleet of Dornier 328's from Ft. Walton Beach to small southern cities, flying a mostly empty Dornier 328 back and forth from Atlanta to Louisville for the convenience of their CEO, announcing and selling tickets on St. Louis-Las Vegas and then pulling the route before it started, Flying Richmond-Freeport subsidized by the Bahamanian government, as well as allowing PeoplExpress II to use their Part 121 certificate.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos