Zoedyn
Topic Author

China Southern to launch PKX as the largest home hub carrier by relocating fully to Beijing’s new mega-airport

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:58 am

http://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1636018 ... FailFlag=1

http://ex.chinadaily.com.cn/exchange/pa ... ab159.html

China Southern is ready to fully relocate to and operate at the upcoming Beijing Daxing International Airport as the largest home hub carrier at the new mega facility scheduled for opening in late September this year, according to a press briefing by CZ in Beijing on June 11, as the countdown to the final completion of the building works for PKX is nearing its very end set on June 30th with no more than three weeks left, as reported by multiple Chinese media outlets

Press briefing highlights:
* CZ flights to/from South and East China can save up to 30-40 min in flying and taxing when flying to/out of PKX vis-à-vis PEK due to the geographic/rwy layout advantages of the former

* Passengers flying with CZ would get to have smart, green, convenient travel experience CZ strives to offer by utilizing state-of-the-art technologies at PKX that has been designed and built with passenger-friendly principles. Connecting pax are expected to experience substantial reductions in MCT at PKX as opposed to what they have to go through at PEK's T3

* China Southern Group (excluding Sichuan Airlines/Hebei Airlines) are going to take up to 40% of slot resources at PKX. As a result, CZ will become the largest home hub carrier at the new mega-airport with the biggest share of pax traffic volume and the widest network of routes and destinations (cf. MU 30%, CA 10%, other airlines 20% in slot share at PKX)

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Re: China Southern to launch PKX as the largest home hub carrier by relocating fully to Beijing’s new mega-airport

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:01 am

Tremendous kudos to CZ for making the immeasurably judicious, cool-headed strategic decision :bigthumbsup: which I deeply believe and have no doubt in the slightest would benefit the carrier enormously and beautifully in the long-term :D

IndianicWorld

Re: China Southern to launch PKX as the largest home hub carrier by relocating fully to Beijing’s new mega-airport

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:59 am

To facilitate some of this growth in the short term at PKX, will this affect any of their CAN international network?

Given the scale of the Chinese market it may not, but will be interesting to see how their hub focus strategy works.

chonetsao

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 am

I believe the domestic transfer in PKX is mixed departure and arrival. So no more security check for domestic transfers in PKX. Which is great for transit passengers. MCT would be reduced too.

chonetsao

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:02 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
To facilitate some of this growth in the short term at PKX, will this affect any of their CAN international network?

Given the scale of the Chinese market it may not, but will be interesting to see how their hub focus strategy works.

I think South Pacific and ASEAN routes will stay in CAN. PKX will be more US/EU focused. Basically, I don't see much impact on CAN except its North America routes.

chunhimlai

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:02 am

IndianicWorld wrote:

They cut US-CAN frequency in this summer

OzarkD9S

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:28 am

I always assumed non-Star airlines would be moving en mass to PKX leaving PEK to be nearly all Star. This comes as no surprise but its interesting that CZ won't be operating any flights to PEK from it's other China hubs.
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

IndianicWorld

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 am

chonetsao wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

I think South Pacific and ASEAN routes will stay in CAN. PKX will be more US/EU focused. Basically, I don't see much impact on CAN except its North America routes.

Tend to agree on that. One would expect that North American routes would be stronger out of PKX, but will be interesting if they continued to cut back on those routes at CAN.

IndianicWorld

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:40 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
I always assumed non-Star airlines would be moving en mass to PKX leaving PEK to be nearly all Star. This comes as no surprise but its interesting that CZ won't be operating any flights to PEK from it's other China hubs.

I think China Eastern and will split their ops, but CZ have a different strategy it appears.

Can’t recall Air China’s plans, but I thought I read they were setting up a new subsidiary to operate out of PKX.

Building up a major hub operation would likely be best achieved by putting their energy into the one airport.

SeanM1997

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Any news on China Southern's daily Beijing Daxing - London Heathrow route? Not on sale yet, but is it still expected to go ahead?

tphuang

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:39 pm

are they completely giving up on PEK-CAN and just going with PKX-CAN? That seems to be a huge loss.

Delta28L

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:46 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

I think China Eastern and will split their ops, but CZ have a different strategy it appears.

Can’t recall Air China’s plans, but I thought I read they were setting up a new subsidiary to operate out of PKX.

Building up a major hub operation would likely be best achieved by putting their energy into the one airport.

Air China is staying at the current airport with star alliance members

Ishrion

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Would expect AA to move to PKX... wonder if this could prompt the return of ORD-Beijing.

zakuivcustom

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:05 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:

MU is only keeping PEK-SHA at PEK (Capital), as that's a huge money maker for MU (Huge business demand to/from "favored" airport). MU is moving everything else to PKX AFAIK.

IndianicWorld wrote:

They would indeed operates some flight out of PKX after the rearrangement of slot allocation. Not sure if it'll eventually be via a subsidiary or not, though.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-econ ... re-glimpse

Otherwise, like other said, I would suspect CZ to greatly expand their N. American network from PKX.

P.S. Nice to see Zoedyn back. Haven't see you post in awhile :).

Revelation

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Zoedyn wrote:
Tremendous kudos to CZ for making the immeasurably judicious, cool-headed strategic decision :bigthumbsup: which I deeply believe and have no doubt in the slightest would benefit the carrier enormously and beautifully in the long-term :D

Thanks for the post, but why all the superlatives?

Excessive use of superlatives makes one's writing come across as propaganda, IMO.

But yeah, it was a good decision, and I hope it turns out well for them and their customers.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

downdata

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Now.. they just need to join OW...

chonetsao

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Delta28L wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

Air China is staying at the current airport with star alliance members

In exchange of MU keeping its SHA/PVG routes to PEK, MU is giving up 10% of the slots in PKX and Air China will have the 10% MU had.

So the future PKX market share is CZ 40% MU 30% and CA 10%.

Air China will use its subsidiary Beijing Airlines (same CA code and CA livery) to be based in PKX. Beijing Airlines will provide Star Alliance benefits as it is not considered as a separate airlines from Air China at this moment.

QuawerAir

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Interesting decision indeed. It's also interesting to see which intercontinental routes will China Southern launch from PKX.

And nice to see you back, Zoedyn :)
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.

nicode

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:32 pm

I though this airport would mostly be used by SkyTeam members ? Even with CZ in OW alliance...

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:21 am

IndianicWorld wrote:

PKX and CAN are perfectly complementary to each other within CZ's extensive network thanks to their respective geographical location and unique strengths thereby.

Actually, Beijing-Guangzhou dual hub strategy is a profound strategy CZ has long been pursuing for decades. I recall it was first put forward in the middle of 2000s when CZ was still at the helm of Mr Liu Shaoyong (he was later switched to MU where he currently serves as its chairman).

Since then, CZ has never changed this BJS-CAN dual hub strategy no matter how its leadership changed or reshuffled, nor how much obstruction it faced (think of how CZ's A380s were prevented by an evil force within Chinese aviation to fly the popular trunk route of PEK-CDG those big birds were originally intended for when CZ decided to buy them).

I surely believe PKX will be equally important and valued as CAN, if not more so, in terms of the critical hub roles they are going to play in CZ's ever expanding global network.

c933103

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:30 am

Note that CZ will be the "largest home hub carrier in PKX" because MU traded some of their slots to CA in order to keep their Shanghai routes at PEK, as such CZ will now get more slots at PKX.
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:43 am

zakuivcustom wrote:

MU is only keeping PEK-SHA at PEK (Capital), as that's a huge money maker for MU (Huge business demand to/from "favored" airport). MU is moving everything else to PKX AFAIK.

P.S. Nice to see Zoedyn back. Haven't see you post in awhile :).

Thank you for your kind words, zakuivcustom. I wish I could post more.

I heard it from industry sources close to MU saying that even within MU there had been much controversy over whether the deal with CA was really worthy, ie, to maintain PEK-SHA/PVG at the cost of giving up 10% of PKX slots to CA.

We'll see how this move pans out for MU in years/decades to come.

Revelation wrote:

Excessive use of superlatives makes one's writing come across as propaganda, IMO.

But yeah, it was a good decision, and I hope it turns out well for them and their customers.

Thank you, Revelation, but plz forgive me. I must say I was just way too pleased with this decision of CZ given the bureaucratic intricacies within any Chinese state-owned enterprise that I had feared might well screw up every hard-earned good card in hand.

QuawerAir wrote:
Interesting decision indeed. It's also interesting to see which intercontinental routes will China Southern launch from PKX.

And nice to see you back, Zoedyn :)

Thank you, QuawerAir.

Yes, definitely interesting.

I believe launching intercontinental routes out of PKX will be a key concern for CZ that aims to develop Daxing into its most import intercontinental hub toward Europe and North America, contrasting with its southern home base CAN more oriented toward Oceania and Africa for intercontinental connectivity

mdavies06

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Revelation wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:

This writing style is typical in China in blogs, websites, wechat etc. I suppose one can get used to it, like how it is in "1984".

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:51 am

mdavies06 wrote:
This writing style is typical in China in blogs, websites, wechat etc. I suppose one can get used to it, like how it is in "1984".

Whoa, that’s going too far :roll: :confused:

Have to say this is one of the most rude and wicked comments I’ve met so far here on Anet. Jumping from allergy to superlative overuse to pulling the convenient trigger of blatant 1984 allegations, adding totally irrelevant, zero constructive stuff to aviation discussion in the thread :thumbsdown:

Sorry, just dead sure now there’s absolutely no way you deserve to be taken seriously on this forum from now.

I suppose Anet has a big reason for the BLACKLIST button option. After all, ill air slays sooner than the sword.

eamondzhang

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 am

c933103 wrote:
Note that CZ will be the "largest home hub carrier in PKX" because MU traded some of their slots to CA in order to keep their Shanghai routes at PEK, as such CZ will now get more slots at PKX.

More slots are questionable at this stage as the latest news says CZ also traded slots/rights to keep its CAN route in PEK. A big slap on CAAC's face already.

Michael

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:13 am

CAPA News Brief: China Southern Airlines Group to have 40% of total slots at Beijing Daxing Intl Airport

Per this Chinese report Chinese Carriers Outline Capacity Plans for Daxing Airport, CZ is going to deploy a capacity of over 200 aircraft at PKX, with over 900 daily flights by 2025.

Then for CZ's subsidiary Xiamen Air at PKX:
17 aircraft by 2020;
30 aircraft by 2025; altogether 50 aircraft including MF's subsidiaries Hebei Air and Jiangxi Air by 2025

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:58 pm

China Southern has unveiled its initial flight transfer plan for W19 operations at Daxing, with 28 flights on 13 routes to be transferred from PEK to PKX as of Oct 27th 2019.

The destinations include Ho Chi Minh, Xining, Yinchuan, Daqing, Yanji, Anshan, Changde, Yiwu, Zunyi, Tongren, Nanchong, Changchun, Jieyang.

南航计划首批13航线、28航班转场北京大兴机场

Construction of China Southern's Infrastructure Projects at PKX has been fully completed today June 29th

南航在北京大兴国际机场基地项目全面竣工

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:10 am

Now that the 1st A350 of CZ has been put into service, A350s are reportedly going to be the major type of aircraft China Southern will operate out of Beijing Daxing, supported by an order of 20 A350s, with 5 more for delivery in H2 2019, and another 14 up until 2022.

The A350 aircraft, more fuel efficient with higher payload and longer range, will figure prominently in the Beijing—Guangzhou dual hub strategy China Southern is fully pushing for thanks to the upcoming Daxing.

CZ's A350 service from PKX will include existing intercontinental destinations such as AMS/IST, followed by more routes on both domestic/international fronts.

南航首架空客A350首航 将成为大兴机场主力机型

Definitely intriguing to note how CZ will use its A350s and A380s in combination for more popular intercontinental longhauls like PKX-LON/NYC they may launch in the near future.

JoostZ

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:21 am

Zoedyn wrote:
Now that the 1st A350 of CZ has been put into service, A350s are reportedly going to be the major type of aircraft China Southern will operate out of Beijing Daxing, supported by an order of 20 A350s, with 5 more for delivery in H2 2019, and another 14 up until 2022.

The A350 aircraft, more fuel efficient with higher payload and longer range, will figure prominently in the Beijing—Guangzhou dual hub strategy China Southern is fully pushing for thanks to the upcoming Daxing.

CZ's A350 service from PKX will include existing intercontinental destinations such as AMS/IST, followed by more routes on both domestic/international fronts.

南航首架空客A350首航 将成为大兴机场主力机型

Definitely intriguing to note how CZ will use its A350s and A380s in combination for more popular intercontinental longhauls like PKX-LON/NYC they may launch in the near future.

As far as I know, those A350's will be CAN based. Does it say anything related to your Daxing comments in the article? Unfortunately I can't read Chinese..

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:35 pm

CZ has conducted its 3rd comprehensive rehearsal of operations at Daxing today Aug 16, putting to use for 1st time the central decision-making roundabout in its PKX Operations & Command Hall in coordination with 5 ground supporting units and 8 coordinating seats in a bid to test out its operational capabilities for its grand new Beijing hub at the new airport

https://m.weibo.cn/1647687670/4406016865194759

I surely believe CZ will have smooth successful operations at Daxing with all the airline’s wonderful world-class, big-stroke, ideally-located infrastructural facilities there guaranteed to impress any passengers who will soon be flying into/out of PKX :D

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos