rw774477 wrote:
Same general theme as LH & EI ... originally from QF

Don't forget UTA... Soooo 70s! ;-)

Talasartir

Re: Updated: SAS presenting new livery

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:40 am

itisi wrote:
Talasartir wrote:
Absolutely LOVE THIS! Good job SAS. It’s what Lufthansa was trying to achieve but didn’t manage to.

NO... Lufthansa is completly different. Not to mention very nice.

Lufthansa is not “very nice”. But hey, that’s my opinion and your personal opinion. Seems like the majority of the comments are approving of the new SK livery tho.

flybynight

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:29 am

SK's new livery - welcome to the Like Everyone Else Club
Heia Norge!

Mortyman

Re: Updated: SAS to present new livery by September 19th, 2019

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:25 am

Someone83 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

That's not the new livery though.

I think it's fair to say it is:

https://www.flysas.com/en/newfleet/?fbc ... bc5kZtuHbw

No it is not. Please stop spreading fake images claiming it is the real one, when the colours is wrong

«Your» fuselage is grey. The real is white

You are naturally entitled to your opinion, but I stand by my comment. AND it's not only me who feels this way. If you read various comment sections on the net, many feel that this is too close to Lufthansa. Hopefully it will grow on me.

BlatantEcho

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:50 am

Not bad, but no red engines is a real shame :(

452QX

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:50 am

Someone83 wrote:
«Your» fuselage is grey. The real is white

Fuselage is still grey

Per SAS:
“..From the new silver SAS logo to the updated gray fuselage – the new livery reflects the iconic history of the airline..”

A350fan

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:20 am

Question : Is it true that if you work in the airline branding business your sense of creativity and imagination is immediately amputated and replaced by the ability to blow huge amounts of hot air ?
Another scheme filed under “whatever”.

Oykie

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:30 am

After seeing new renderings today, the big letters work really well. I’m excited to see this live :-)
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

MSPNWA

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:06 am

Not a fan at all. Much more boring. It looks like a charter outfit with mismatched engine cowlings. The current livery is much more distinctive (if a bit strange).

minilinde

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:56 am

According to an internal source, 4 aircrafts are currently scheduled to be repainted in november:
OY-KBR A319
OY-KBK A321
OY-KBE A321
OY-KAW A320 (CEO)

minilinde

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:02 am

minilinde wrote:
According to an internal source, 4 aircrafts are currently scheduled to be repainted in november:
OY-KBR A319
OY-KBK A321
OY-KBE A321
OY-KAW A320 (CEO)

If correct, this means the first aircraft with the new livery will be OY-KBR, as the NEO's to be delivered i september/october (SE-ROG & SE-ROS) are already painted in the current livery.

Good choice in my opinion, love the stubby A319!

fessor

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:02 am

I like it
But miss some red colour

Peeter

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:08 am

According to the A350 production/delivery thread, SK's first A350 has left the paint hangar. Are there any pictures?

DLHAM

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:18 am

Too cold, too bland, just like LH. Having the blue stripe on the engines in red would have helped a lot I think.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

JetBuddy

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:44 am

Seems like everyone has a different opinion. Which is okay, it's subjective after all.

In my opinion, the Lufthansa livery was dull and bland. But the SAS livery is absolutely amazing. There are some rather important differences that pull the whole design together.

- The silver SAS titles on the side looks very distinguished, and will look different depending on the time of day. In the morning the silver will reflect blue light, in the evening it will look like gold.
- The same silver on the engine cowlings look really nice and shifts the silver further back on the overall look and blends with the metal parts of the wing.
- The blue "crown / circle" on the front of the engine cowlings pull the blue from the tail forward and blend with the silver.
- The updated grey on the fuselage blends nicely with the silver and blue.
- The three "flags" look more modern, yet recognizable.

This is one of those designs that are perfectly balanced. If you add something, you'll mess it up. If you remove something, you'll also mess it up. It's just right.

I think this livery will stand the test of time, like all SAS previous liveries have done.

And it's gonna look great on the A320neo as well:

Image borrowed from "Trønderbird" on Flyprat forums.

https://forum.flyprat.no/showpost.php?p ... stcount=40

LAX772LR

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:05 pm

SAS A340 wrote:
And the SAS logo on the fuselage is perfect in colures (not screaming SAS).... there are more not so tasteful examples out there...

Um, your brand identification standing out boldly is what most advertisers SEEK.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

minilinde

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:17 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
Seems like everyone has a different opinion. Which is okay, it's subjective after all.

In my opinion, the Lufthansa livery was dull and bland. But the SAS livery is absolutely amazing. There are some rather important differences that pull the whole design together.

- The silver SAS titles on the side looks very distinguished, and will look different depending on the time of day. In the morning the silver will reflect blue light, in the evening it will look like gold.
- The same silver on the engine cowlings look really nice and shifts the silver further back on the overall look and blends with the metal parts of the wing.
- The blue "crown / circle" on the front of the engine cowlings pull the blue from the tail forward and blend with the silver.

This is one of those designs that are perfectly balanced. If you add something, you'll mess it up. If you remove something, you'll also mess it up. It's just right.

I think this livery will stand the test of time, like all SAS previous liveries have done.

It looks great on the A320NEO, but seems the NEO has the A350 style racoon black around the cockpit windows.

lalib

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:50 pm

fraspotter wrote:
seahawk wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:

I was really hoping they would have moved on from the "silver on white" scheme that is near impossible to see in certain light conditions. What do they have against making the "SAS" actually visible on the fuselage? They were able to do it on the belly.

One may have to have a closer look at the fuselage to to read the SAS in certain lighting, but........... that's the whole point! Its a sophisticated and refined way to advertise. They don't need to scream out in BOLD letters who they are. Besides the SAS is on the tail is easily identifiable

PixelPilot

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Oh I like this one a lot.
That silver "shadow" SAS will look good depending on the light.

lalib

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:54 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
SAS A340 wrote:
And the SAS logo on the fuselage is perfect in colures (not screaming SAS).... there are more not so tasteful examples out there...

Um, your brand identification standing out boldly is what most advertisers SEEK.

If that was true. LH wound't ditch the yellow. The tail is the most visible part .

Texas77

Re: SAS new livery?

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:01 pm

william wrote:

So what color is that officially? Has it always been beige like? Kind of smart, the plane will not look dirty, especially with all of the deicing in the Scandinavian area.

While I like the old livery, I find the planes always look dirty, both the gray and the red on the engines. I mean even from a great distance, on the train to car rental at SFO, I see them come in and think "man, that plane needs to be washed badly". as I recall, the old united gray always looked dirty too. so while it seems like it would hide it, it seems to actually do the opposite...

(ps- I am kind of color blind, so when I say "gray", it is because it LOOKS gray to me. Might not actually BE gray :). But dirty, well that's not colorblindness causing that)

AirPacific747

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:02 pm

Damn it’s already grown a lot on me. It looks classier than any other airline livery I can think of. LH looks cheap and boring in comparison

ORDfan

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:28 pm

flybynight wrote:

Big lol. My thoughts exactly. I remember when airline branding was supposed to set competitors apart, now it seems, standing out with a unique brand or scheme is perceived to be risky.

Welcome to bland, SAS....

spinotter

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:14 pm

JetBuddy wrote:

In spite of all the redeeming qualities that you have attempted to point out, this livery is bland and dull. No other conclusion. Out of all the possible SK liveries in the universe, this one gets a resounding "BLAH!"

spinotter

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:16 pm

lalib wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SAS A340 wrote:

If that was true. LH wound't ditch the yellow. The tail is the most visible part .

LH made a big mistake in ditching the yellow. The one thing that distinguished it from all the other look-alikes.

AirPacific747

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:17 pm

ORDfan wrote:
flybynight wrote:

Big lol. My thoughts exactly. I remember when airline branding was supposed to set competitors apart, now it seems, standing out with a unique brand or scheme is perceived to be risky.

Welcome to less vulgar, more classy SAS. Of course in other parts of the world, people prefer more tacky, loud, vulgar looks in order to “stand out” more.
Last edited by AirPacific747 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antarius

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:32 pm

I really like it. The red half engines looked like a hasty MX job with borrowed parts.

Modern yet unique and classy
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

AApilot2b

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:04 pm

I remember the days when airplanes had color.... Not a bad scheme, but not great either.

kameleonten

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:39 pm

minilinde wrote:
SKAirbus wrote:
s.p.a.s. wrote:

Looks like it'll only be the Airbuses that get the new scheme as the 737s are all on their way out.

Yes, all Airbus fleet (except CRJ/ATR's) from 2024.

Surely there must be 737s due for repainting before 2024? They can´t take five years to apply the new livery to the whole fleet, can they?? I know it has taken some US airlines quite a while before (e.g. AA´s MD-80s still had the old livery at their recent retirement despite the new one being introduced in 2013) but those airlines are like five times the size of SAS...

Blankbarcode

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:53 pm

The silver is a nice touch if not purely just out of relief that it's not EXACTLY the same as others.... but it doesn't quite look too special in any way. Figures my favorite part are the flags at the back.

I think a splash of red anywhere (engines looked fine, really) would have added a lot and made this a lot better. Or even go completely left field and have the flag stripes from their 1980s livery across the top near the back....

M564038

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:47 pm

This livery is quite good. The big main title is what scandinavians would call quite Harry, but we are almost immune to primitive american barbarisms like that now.

The retro A319 will still be the best looking aircraft in the fleet, though.

EChid

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:52 pm

minilinde wrote:
It looks great on the A320NEO, but seems the NEO has the A350 style racoon black around the cockpit windows.

Yes, this has been an option for all new A32XNEO and A339 recipients for a while now. Air Transat has opted for that with their LRs, and almost every 339 I've seen features that.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

freakyrat

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:06 am

I feel they one upped Lufthansa and the livery looks more sophisticated.

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:24 am

lalib wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SAS A340 wrote:

If that was true. LH wound't ditch the yellow.

Non sequitur. That LH f#cked up, doesn't invalidate the concept... particularly seeing as they issued a public release justifying why they did it (IMO being an admission)
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

CBBW

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:40 am

Good to see the usual well-reasoned criticisms of a new livery! :lol:
Personally I like it more each time I look at it. I can see why some people might get a superficial Aeroflot vibe but Lufthansa? Aside from a blue tail and white logo I don’t see the similarity at all. Do people really think an SAS aircraft could be parked next to an LH one and they’d be indistinguishable?
I’m pleased they ditched the garish and clashing red engines, I find this look far more cohesive.
It would be interesting to see a designer try to integrate all the cheatlines, swoops, bright colours and other elements that people here invariably cry out for with each new livery to see what kind of nightmarish, retro Frankenlivery would result. :smile:
I suspect it would be a very good illustration of the adage of less sometimes being more.

sspontak

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:47 pm

A great new livery for SAS. It is still simple, modern and clearly done right. Take a lesson on this LH. This will look amazing in person and is an excellent change over the old livery. I look forward to seeing it in person.

MoonC

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:33 pm

kameleonten wrote:
minilinde wrote:
SKAirbus wrote:

Surely there must be 737s due for repainting before 2024? They can´t take five years to apply the new livery to the whole fleet, can they?? I know it has taken some US airlines quite a while before (e.g. AA´s MD-80s still had the old livery at their recent retirement despite the new one being introduced in 2013) but those airlines are like five times the size of SAS...

Why should they bother if the 737s are on their way out?

JetBuddy

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:01 pm

I believe this is the complete picture that was made into the puzzle teaser. Looks amazing.

Image is from SAS - Scandinavian Airlines page on Facebook.

Oykie

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:31 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
I believe this is the complete picture that was made into the puzzle teaser. Looks amazing.

Image is from SAS - Scandinavian Airlines page on Facebook.

I agree, it looks amazing! Well done SAS :-)
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

Northpole

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:50 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
ORDfan wrote:
flybynight wrote:

Welcome to less vulgar, more classy SAS. Of course in other parts of the world, people prefer more tacky, loud, vulgar looks in order to “stand out” more.

My thoughts as well. Different cultures - different tastes

kameleonten

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:13 pm

MoonC wrote:

Why should they bother if the 737s are on their way out?

The point was not that they should repaint everything for the sake of having the new look but that there must be 737s in the fleet that are due for repainting soon and will stay until 2024 and they will obviously get the new look. In other words, I find it unlikely that we won´t see any 737s in the new livery until all of them leave the fleet...

KlimaBXsst

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:16 pm

Nice but SAS is kind of invisible against the white
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

JannEejit

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:44 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Nice but SAS is kind of invisible against the white

Is it a metallic tone, like the former BMI one ? Should look good as it reflects sunlight from different angles.

MillwallSean

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:03 am

I didn't exactly look forward to a new livery. The recent years have seen horrorshow after horrorshow when it comes to new liveries (Hello Etihad, Lufthansa and China Eastern). But this is Scandinavia. It is quiet, classy and well proportioned.
Its not Spirit for those that love colour, I very much doubt that they want to portray the image of Spirit or Easyjet. Instead this is Scandinavian Airlines.
In my view, the swoosh on the tail makes the logo much better proportioned compared to the previous livery and that makes the SAS brand warmer and more appealing than before. The agency nailed this one. Its modern yet pays homage to the past.

I believe SK has done most things right lately. Now if they can sort a route network worthy of a Scandinavian airline they might be on to something.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

THS214

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:57 am

kameleonten wrote:
minilinde wrote:
SKAirbus wrote:

In this case size doesn't matter. Its all about individual planes and their new paint (major overhaul) schedule.

Braybuddy

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:44 pm

SAS and Lufthansa manage to pull-off this minimalist extended-tail look beautifully -- they both look very elegant and smart. Meanwhile, back at Aer Lingus . . . :roll:

aerokiwi

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:10 pm

So they've knicked the engine stripe from Virgin Australia and the rear fuselage/tail drape (is there a widely used term for this?) from Qantas... just in navy blue.

Did someone at SAS have a holiday in Australia recently? :)

In saying that, the metallic SAS is pretty rad. The blue isn't as dull as the Lufthansa one and isn't as jarring a change as the ditching of the yellow that made the LH livery pop. Agreed that a more refined red application on the nacelles would have been a nice touch. The flags? Nah, too abstract now and clunkily applied with amount of space they take.

Was at FRA and MUC recently and seeing the new LH livery against the old one just makes you weep. SAS = 7 out of 10.

gokmengs

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Its amazing how tastes differ, I for one think the new updated livery is beautiful, I think the engine circle/stripe and the metallic silver they chose are super nice. I think they did much better than recent updates like LH etc. Also have to say the 350 is an easy canvas to show the new livery the aircraft itself is good looking, lets see how it looks on the other aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

AirPacific747

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:08 pm

gokmengs wrote:
Its amazing how tastes differ, I for one think the new updated livery is beautiful, I think the engine circle/stripe and the metallic silver they chose are super nice. I think they did much better than recent updates like LH etc. Also have to say the 350 is an easy canvas to show the new livery the aircraft itself is good looking, lets see how it looks on the other aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was already a rendering of an A320NEO posted in this thread. You can see it here:

Looks good to me

InThrustWeTrust

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:23 pm

This livery is sophistcated, sexy and balanced. I just want to ser more of it, its a pity that SAS dont have 787 in the fleet. Dreamliner in this livery would be something...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos