runningformqm
Topic Author

EK unbundling J Class

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:31 pm

ek is introducing unbundled j fares with a buyup required for seat assignments in advance and lounge access.

will be interesting to see who follows. ba already charges more for seats but includes lounge accesss. im guessing restricting access to lounges is more difficult for airlines in an alliance due to standard rules and partner lounge access.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited for clarity

vhtje

Re: ek unbundling j

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Source?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

seansasLCY

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Please try to use capital letters and punctuation when posting. It makes the post much easier to read.

This move doesn't surprise me. EY and QR recently offered lounge upgrades (Using the First lounge if in J for a fee) and buying amenity kits.

Ziyulu

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:55 pm

It's called Basic Economy. More and more airlines are introducing it.

runningformqm
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:57 pm

vhtje wrote:
Source?

Lucky posted it: https://onemileatatime.com/emirates-bus ... cial-fare/

(Wasnt sure if posting blog posts is allowed)

seansasLCY wrote:
Please try to use capital letters and punctuation when posting. It makes the post much easier to read.

Sorry about that, I type quickly on the iphone.

MalevTU134

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
It's called Basic Economy. More and more airlines are introducing it.

Eh??? This is about business class...

tphuang

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:03 pm

if this makes their j seats more affordable out of NYC, I'm fine with it.

DolphinAir747

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Let's hope they unbundle meals next! Would rather eat at a real restaurant before/after and bring a snack to eat onboard rather than having month-old reheated plane food!

mutu

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:14 pm

runningformqm wrote:
ek is introducing unbundled j fares with a buyup required for seat assignments in advance and lounge access.

ba already charges more for seats but includes lounge accesss. .

True but the purpose of this charge was to ensure members of the higher levels of its FFP were able to select (the better) seats (free) whenever they booked. So it is in effect a benefit to some. Also full fare pax are not charged either.

Double edged sword I know but as a higher level member of the BAEC I find this a very positive policy!

AEROFAN

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:17 pm

tphuang wrote:
if this makes their j seats more affordable out of NYC, I'm fine with it.

Don't think it will make J anymore affordable. BA's J class is no more affordable for charging a fee for prebooking a seat in J. As a matter, of fact sometimes it charges way more than its competition.

MalevTU134

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:31 pm

DolphinAir747 wrote:
Let's hope they unbundle meals next! Would rather eat at a real restaurant before/after and bring a snack to eat onboard rather than having month-old reheated plane food!

You must not have travelled in EK's Business Class very much. Month-old reheated food?? You mean this? :

https://www.google.com/search?q=emirate ... LkskCAmCVM

Also, you realize that many of EK's flights are 14 hours and more? Eat before and bring a snack? Yeah, sure...
Last edited by MalevTU134 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runningformqm
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:32 pm

mutu wrote:
True but the purpose of this charge was to ensure members of the higher levels of its FFP were able to select (the better) seats (free) whenever they booked. So it is in effect a benefit to some. Also full fare pax are not charged either.

In J there really isnt the same variance in seat quality as there is in Y. I can only see this being a very marginal increase to elites. And many nonelites will likely pay up and pick the "best" J seats anyways.

airbazar

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:40 pm

runningformqm wrote:
mutu wrote:

In J there really isnt the same variance in seat quality as there is in Y. I can only see this being a very marginal increase to elites. And many nonelites will likely pay up and pick the "best" J seats anyways.

Uh? Half of their fleet has a J cabin with a middle seat. Sorry but I don't pay J fares to sit in a middle seat.

usflyer msp

Re: EK unbundling J Class

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:04 pm

S7 in Russia has done this for several years...

VSMUT

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:59 pm

mutu wrote:
runningformqm wrote:

ba already charges more for seats but includes lounge accesss. .

Double edged sword I know but as a higher level member of the BAEC I find this a very positive policy!

Double edged sword indeed. As someone who gets my business class tickets paid by the employer due to contractual requirements, I am almost certain that they will go for the cheapest option. Lounge would not a problem for the most part, my status cards would take care of that with most airlines (i.e. access to Star Alliance partners lounges using my SAS Eurobonus card etc.), but given that Emirates is non-aligned, I think I will try to skip them in the future. ¨

The more I think about this, the more I am puzzled about it. I could see why lounge access maybe doesn't mean so much when flying direct from Europe to Asia. You show up 2 hours before the flight (spending maybe 40 minutes at the lounge) and then head off for 12 hours in the plane. Emirates on the other hand lives off of connections at their hub. Passengers will spend much more time waiting around in airports. On top of the aforementioned wait at the origin, you could easily have 3 to 12 hours of waiting time at Dubai. Why would they want to put themselves at such a disadvantage?

dtw2hyd

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:03 pm

DolphinAir747 wrote:

If you recall Mueller was bought in as digital transformation officer to change EK's IT systems to support the al-a-carte model and discard current class segregation model. Not sure how far their systems are to support the envisioned al-a-carte model. With current IT systems, airlines have to create another class, say Cheapo Business.

I would love to see everything unbundled except for the flatbed, IFE, and WiFi. Even the latter two.

I am a non-alcoholic vegetarian. In general not a fan of airline food. Some of the world's best restaurants are on the ground. So, I don't want to pay for my co-passengers' DP, Hennessey, Caviar, Filet mignon ... from my pocket. Economy AVML will do just fine.

Don't need chaffer pickup.
Don't need a lounge, prefer short connections.

1ffb2002

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:56 pm

Idea for Emirates, why not install credit card readers on the seat and charge for reclining, and then charge extra for flat bed. Hey, makes about as much sense for charging for seat selection.

Dieuwer

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:00 pm

It's a joke to call 2-3-2 "business class" to begin with (AirFrance A380 has 2-3-2 in PE) and now this? In a decade from now, we will point to this news as the start of the collapse of EK towards an also-ran LCC (aka the Norwegian of the Middle East).
People who want to fly a REAL business class product won't fly EK no longer. Better switch to EY, QR, or a quality Asian carrier.

Ziyulu

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Since other airlines have Basic Economy, Emirates is going with Basic Business!

RyanairGuru

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:32 am

Dieuwer wrote:
People who want to fly a REAL business class product won't fly EK no longer. Better switch to EY, QR, or a quality Asian carrier.

Bollocks.

Obviously this move (if true) is obviously going to degrade this somewhat, but right now EK J is head and shoulders above EY, at least on EK's A380s. It's the 777 product that lets EK down. With the rampant cost cutting going on at EY the food, even in J and F, is really poor quality and EK are now much better for catering from nose to tail. EK offer chauffer drive to ever J passenger, something neither EY or QR offer. EY have stripped out pyjamas (available to pay for onboard).

EY offer a nice seat but lacklustre service, EK offer decent service but a lacklustre seat on some of their planes but a perfect adequate seat on the others.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

upperdeckfan

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 am

mutu wrote:

Don't need to charge to enable your hi-tier FF's to select the best seats for free, just block the better seats from your seat selection engine so only hi-tier FF's and full fare pax can get them at the tinme of booking, LX does that by blocking the so called "throne" seats on the 1-2-2 config.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

VSMUT

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
DolphinAir747 wrote:

If you recall Mueller was bought in as digital transformation officer to change EK's IT systems to support the al-a-carte model and discard current class segregation model. Not sure how far their systems are to support the envisioned al-a-carte model. With current IT systems, airlines have to create another class, say Cheapo Business.

I would love to see everything unbundled except for the flatbed, IFE, and WiFi. Even the latter two.

I am a non-alcoholic vegetarian. In general not a fan of airline food. Some of the world's best restaurants are on the ground. So, I don't want to pay for my co-passengers' DP, Hennessey, Caviar, Filet mignon ... from my pocket. Economy AVML will do just fine.

Don't need chaffer pickup.
Don't need a lounge, prefer short connections.

If you think fares will get cheaper for you without everything thrown in, I have some bad news. Airlines will just pocket the savings and charge more for the rest. Fares didn't get lower since airlines stopped including checked suitcases and hand luggage.

LAX772LR

EK launches unbundled Business: to charge for seat assignment, lounge, etc

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Shouldn't be a shock: they warned us that they were gonna do it.

Say goodbye to "free" lounge access, assigned seats, concierge, etc.
Say hello to Special, Saver, Flex, and Flex Plus options in EK business class.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... ass-fares/

Still sorta surprised that they've implemented it as "quickly" as they have; but will be interesting to see who follows; in what regards, and how quickly.

Do sorta feel that this was inevitable though, as the evolution of Premium Economy continues.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

AIRT0M

Re: EK launches unbundled Business: to charge for seat assignment, lounge, etc

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:01 pm

The EK biz in this pic looks vile. Wouldn't want to be trapped in the middle seat.

I'm sure many people will want to try the biz, if they can get a special deal, though. I guess some people don't care about lounge access or limo pick up, as long as they get a comfy seat.

BlatantEcho

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:07 pm

This actually seems really smart and obvious in retrospect. Bet other airlines will follow suit.

Why make people pay for stuff they don’t want?

Also, I have no issues with EK biz class. Flown it a couple times. Want more, buy First.
I want a bed and nothing else on biz flight. That’s what you get here.

GlobalAirways

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 pm

It will be interesting to see how they price (value) those "add-on" features into the total fare. IMHO this take the fun out of business class if it is too high $$$. A very easy way to put people in those awful middle seats.
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone

DocLightning

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
Want more, buy First.

That's what people said when airlines started unbundling Y. So I guess we're just going to unbundle everything now. Because F is next.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

airzona11

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:15 pm

The unbundling makes sense, it is a way to "up sell" or add value perception. Head to head on routes, this is an opportunity for other airlines, but with the massive DXB hub, no doubt business class cabin folks are price conscious as well, even if being less price sensitive.

AEROFAN

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:24 pm

As long as the price points between the various business classes are material....I suspect though, the delta between the levels will not be material and they will still require you to pay the add on. Just like British Airways does for the option to pre book a seat. I refuse to fly BA for this reason and once other carriers follow - they won't get my business either.

Blerg

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:25 pm

This makes little sense and I don't think it will work out well for them. People who book business are usually people who can afford it, either because they themselves are rich or because the company they work for is. Degrading a product that is supposed to be premium will only drive people to book flights on airlines such as Qatar or Turkish Airlines that keep on improving their own premium product. To me this seems like they are trying to make business class more affordable to those who otherwise couldn't afford it. It can attract unwanted customers the same way it did in economy class.

I think the only thing they will achieve with this is to cheapen their brand and make less value to fly with EK. If they are struggling to fill those premium seats then I think it would be wiser to reconfigure their aircraft and to add more premium economy and economy seats.

musman9853

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:25 pm

AIRT0M wrote:
The EK biz in this pic looks vile. Wouldn't want to be trapped in the middle seat.

I'm sure many people will want to try the biz, if they can get a special deal, though. I guess some people don't care about lounge access or limo pick up, as long as they get a comfy seat.

yeah idk why people rate the European/ME carriers so highly. I'd much rather fly AA than EK.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

AEROFAN

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 pm

AIRT0M wrote:

Flew this config a few years ago from JFK. While I wasn't in the middle 4, it did not look comfortable.

N408BN

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Boy! Times have really changed, Google "Braniff coach meals" and check the images. And remember, they were all complimentary.
We liked flying Braniff Style

SEU

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:49 pm

musman9853 wrote:
AIRT0M wrote:

yeah idk why people rate the European/ME carriers so highly. I'd much rather fly AA than EK.

A joke right? Please say that is a joke....

Dieuwer

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:52 pm

Blerg wrote:
This makes little sense and I don't think it will work out well for them. People who book business are usually people who can afford it, either because they themselves are rich or because the company they work for is. Degrading a product that is supposed to be premium will only drive people to book flights on airlines such as Qatar or Turkish Airlines that keep on improving their own premium product. To me this seems like they are trying to make business class more affordable to those who otherwise couldn't afford it. It can attract unwanted customers the same way it did in economy class.

I think the only thing they will achieve with this is to cheapen their brand and make less value to fly with EK. If they are struggling to fill those premium seats then I think it would be wiser to reconfigure their aircraft and to add more premium economy and economy seats.

Indeed.
EK = Norwegian of the Middle East?

Brickell305

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:56 pm

DocLightning wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:
Want more, buy First.

That's what people said when airlines started unbundling Y. So I guess we're just going to unbundle everything now. Because F is next.

Next time, it'll be "fly private" or "learn to fly yourself". I genuinely don't get why people on this board seem so enthusiastic about reductions in service.

smartplane

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:10 pm

This is partly in response to major clients, who reimburse / authorise business class for trip durations over X hours. Now they can authorise business basic.

Will also tap new revenue streams. When upgraded, gives EK the opportunity to extract fees for add-ons.

DocLightning

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:11 pm

smartplane wrote:
This is partly in response to major clients, who reimburse / authorise business class for trip durations over X hours. Now they can authorise business basic.

Will also tap new revenue streams. When upgraded, gives EK the opportunity to extract fees for add-ons.

Do you honestly believe that J fares will decrease because of this? If you do, I have this wonderful bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

stl07

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:20 pm

SEU wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
AIRT0M wrote:

Yea everyone who says that has never been on AA in business, especially when you end up on the older 777s and all 767s with no personal IFE
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

stl07

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:24 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Already being discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1424567

This one has a source attached with more information
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:50 pm

SEU wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
AIRT0M wrote:

A joke right? Please say that is a joke.

No, it's not a joke, and I agree with him.... I'd happily take AA's J on their 77W or 788 over EK's J offering on any of their aircraft.

QR, no. EK, absolutely.

smartplane

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm

DocLightning wrote:
smartplane wrote:

Do you honestly believe that J fares will decrease because of this? If you do, I have this wonderful bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

The benefits will be shared with valued corporates, but otherwise, no.

stl07

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:58 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
SEU wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

No, it's not a joke, and I agree with him.... I'd happily take AA's J on their 77W or 788 over EK's J offering on any of their aircraft.

QR, no. EK, absolutely.

AA's fleet is so diverse that those who take their 767 and older 777s say never again while those who take their 77W and 788s say its better than airline X.

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 pm

stl07 wrote:
those who take their 767 and older 777s say never again

Awesome. Now if you can just direct us to an independently verifiable medium/forum where said people are saying this.... that'd be great.
I'd be particularly interesting to learn why they're doing it for that 777 part, seeing as the 77Es were retrofitted with the 77W/787's product starting 4yrs ago.

Bonus points if you can do so without citing to "people I know," or something as ridiculous as FlyerTalk.

N776AU

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 pm

Sounds like just another way to disguise a price hike to me.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

CURQ400

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:14 pm

stl07 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SEU wrote:

QR, no. EK, absolutely.

AA's fleet is so diverse that those who take their 767 and older 777s say never again while those who take their 77W and 788s say its better than airline X.

What are you on about with the “older 777s”?
The older 777s have a newer interior than the new 777s. They are excellent and as far as widebodies go, have one of the best hard products out there.

The 767 is pretty bad, but they’re on their way out and easy to avoid. The 75L isn’t necessarily the best seat either, but the J product is comparable with with their US competitors. (Same seat, except for tablet IFE.)

musman9853

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:41 pm

SEU wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
AIRT0M wrote:

Completely serious. I've flown J from a bunch of airlines, including BA and EK. AA is the best I've experienced

musman9853

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:42 pm

stl07 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SEU wrote:

QR, no. EK, absolutely.

I've flown AA J on 757/767/772/787. the 757 is the only one that wasn't that good, but it was a domestic flight so I didn't mind.

SEU

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 pm

musman9853 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

QR, no. EK, absolutely.

I've flown AA J on 757/767/772/787. the 757 is the only one that wasn't that good, but it was a domestic flight so I didn't mind.

You're actually bonkers if you believe AA is the best J product vs EK. You actually flown a A380 on EK in J? Its so good.

grbauc

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
This actually seems really smart and obvious in retrospect. Bet other airlines will follow suit.

Why make people pay for stuff they don’t want?

Also, I have no issues with EK biz class. Flown it a couple times. Want more, buy First.
I want a bed and nothing else on biz flight. That’s what you get here.

Because it sells the the product has a whole. Separate lounge access and maybe 80% don't take it and lounges become unprofitable. Sometimes the whole package sells the seat rather then just the seat alone. I'd imagine this is the argument on why some would not want them split up..

On EK J seat well for the money they charge compared to other airlines there J seat its lacking for my taste. Its kinda a con job there J seat it piggybacks off there big brothers (fist-class) reputation imop.
If i want more the jump to FC is substantial BlatantEcho so I just pick another airline. To each his own happy flying.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos