kiowa
Topic Author

Delta luggage abuse

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 pm

I have heard many cases of luggage abuse and loss over the years but this one had to be intentionally abused or run over by an aircraft. Has anyone had a personal item returned to them this bad? Pictures?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/n ... 417466001/

Seabear

Re: Delta luggage abuse

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Who packs a "priceless heirloom" in checked baggage? Oh, this specimen...

Ufsatp

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:28 pm

Seabear wrote:

Someone who trusts an airline? If this was on United, someone would have written a song about it.

jbooser

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:45 pm

The only thing I can think of that happened is the bag fell out of the bag cart and ended up getting dragged across the ramp.
Last edited by jbooser on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericm2031

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:45 pm

Seabear wrote:

If you read the article, it was a carry-on that Delta made her check because there was no overhead bin space.

AirplaneFixer

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:30 am

From the looks of it the bag fell out of the bag cart and was dragged for a bit. Unfortunately it does happen with the amount of bags that Delta transfers daily. I have been asked to gate check a bag on more than one occasion. Simple answer, if you have valuables in your checked bag and are required to gate check it, remove said valuables.

Jetty

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:41 am

ericm2031 wrote:
Seabear wrote:

If you read the article, it was a carry-on that Delta made her check because there was no overhead bin space.

If that happens you still get advised to take expensive (or priceless) items with you on the plane. Passenger is to blame here.

SPREE34

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:12 am

Fishing for settlement money. There's always a first, but I've never had a bag issue on Delta, and that's since 1973.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

IPFreely

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:00 am

New Mexico connecting to Canada was likely on Delta Connection. Add in all the outsourced baggage handlers and it is almost certain that her bag was destroyed by a third party contractor and not a Delta employee.

mugler

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:10 am

IPFreely wrote:
New Mexico connecting to Canada was likely on Delta Connection. Add in all the outsourced baggage handlers and it is almost certain that her bag was destroyed by a third party contractor and not a Delta employee.

Yet the general public will believe it was Delta's fault. I've seen the way third parties treat bags while offloading and loading bags while being in the ramp myself to the planes and they just don't care and will do it more if they're told to be careful. Whether its the type of job, work conditions or how much they get paid it's bad and Swissport and all the other companies must take action or how about the airlines start charging these companies the bills for broken bags

southwest1675

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:12 am

This kinda stuff happens on all airlines.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BA744PHX

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:34 am

mugler wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

Yet the general public will believe it was Delta's fault. I've seen the way third parties treat bags while offloading and loading bags while being in the ramp myself to the planes and they just don't care and will do it more if they're told to be careful. Whether its the type of job, work conditions or how much they get paid it's bad and Swissport and all the other companies must take action or how about the airlines start charging these companies the bills for broken bags

As others would say, if this was American or United its their fault for hiring the vendors.... so its their responsibility. This is not a personal attack on you, but this forum has double standards when it comes to Delta
UA Gold 2019, DL Silver 2019
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-EZE-EWR, EWR-YYZ-EWR, EWR-PHX-EWR, EWR-NRT-EWR
NH NRT-BKK-NRT
TG BKK-HKT-BKK

kiowa
Topic Author

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:38 am

Jetty wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:
Seabear wrote:

If that happens you still get advised to take expensive (or priceless) items with you on the plane. Passenger is to blame here.

By the looks of the bag I don’t see how the passenger is to blame. Delta destroyed that bag.

IPFreely

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:57 am

kiowa wrote:
By the looks of the bag I don’t see how the passenger is to blame. Delta destroyed that bag.

I don't think jetty is arguing about who destroyed the bag; I think his point is the passenger should not have put anything of value in the bag to begin with.

But as far as who destroyed the bag, as was pointed out above it's unlikely that any Delta employee even touched the bag. It was almost certainly destroyed by a third party contractor, not Delta.

LAXdenizen

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:02 am

Wow. Just wow. If Delta hired the 'third party' or decided to subcontract out its business, then it still makes it Delta's business! Own it! If it is indeed a third party to blame, that is between Delta and the third party, not between the passenger and the third party.

It's like a mad dash here to see who can rush to Delta's defense first.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:41 am

Jetty wrote:

I have been told to gate check my carry-on many times.... Not once was I advised that I should remove valuables from it.

Have a great day,

maxamuus

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:56 am

The third party vendor IS Delta. Sub-contracting out your work doesn’t absolve you of fault. If anything you are MORE to blame for hiring substandard vendors to be your representatives.

Andy33

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:06 am

2175301 wrote:
Jetty wrote:

I have been told to gate check my carry-on many times.... Not once was I advised that I should remove valuables from it.

Have a great day,

Well since as aviation enthusiasts we know that there isn't a distinct, ultra-secure, handling channel used only for gate-checked bags, don't you think that the many gate agents who told you to check your bag ought to have so advised you, and that the airlines they represent ought to include this in the script the agents work to?
In Europe the airline EasyJet has a newish programme to encourage passengers to check their larger hand baggage items. When they do they are actually given a small woven bag specifically to put valuables/essential medication in so they can still carry them on board (fits under the seat). So some airlines are willing to make things clear to their passengers, just not the ones you use...

FluidFlow

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:10 am

What would actually happen if there were a LiPo or another form of accumulator in the luggage? Will they inform you again when they take your carry on to make sure you remove them? Significant damage to the bag like this can also damage an accumulator and lead to a fire. I always bring a spare accumulator for my notebook to be able to work and that one is always in the carry on. I probably would forget to take it out if I am rushed to check it at the gate.

wn676

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:16 am

2175301 wrote:
Jetty wrote:

Have a great day,

And for some passengers, it may not hit them until it’s too late. I once had a woman frantically trying to open the door to the jetbridge stair landing because she had been told to gate check her bag, and only after it was sent down the slide to me did she realize that her husbands ashes were still in that bag.

The point being, sometimes people for whatever reason are not entirely present in those moments, and sometimes agents are also not explicitly advising passengers to remove valuables.

These situations are rarely so black and white.

As for this incident:

jbooser wrote:
The only thing I can think of that happened is the bag fell out of the bag cart and ended up getting dragged across the ramp.

Yep..unfortunately have seen enough of that to recognize it. That’s definitely not what you would expect from typical handling.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

NCAD95

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 am

Priceless Delta can send a plane to pick up a stranded team for free that wasn't their fault. Yet they can't find it in their heart to pay this lady for the bag they destroyed which was their fault.

TheOldDude

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:13 pm

The comments seeking to absolve Delta from responsibility because they contracted with a third party to handle the bags are mind boggling.

The customer has a contract with Delta, not with the third party. Delta is responsible to the customer under the terms of the contract.

If anyone believes Delta is not at fault, they should post the part of the contract that obsolves Delta from the faults of sub-contractors.

NWAESC

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 pm

jbooser wrote:

I'd say this is the most likely cause. And yes, vendor or not, Delta "owns" responsibility for it, as this is (obviously) far more than normal wear and tear.

That said, I do think it's ok for Delta-or any airline- to have some threshold of proof before paying out claims. Otherwise, everyone and their brother would claim to have lost valuables. However, in a case like this, it's not quite that simple. A little more investigation/empathy on DL's part right away would've likely gone a long way.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Boof02671

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:44 pm

When you gate check a bag it doesn’t go into a bag cart, its carried or slid down the jetway and carried to the belt loader or baggage bin.

aumaverick

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Lessons learned:
1) Don't pack priceless heirlooms carelessly in a roll-aboard, regardless if carry-on or not
2) Remove all valuables before checking a bag
3) Don't buy cheap luggage from off-price retailers
I'm just here so I won't get fined. - Marshawn Lynch

Polot

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
When you gate check a bag it doesn’t go into a bag cart, its carried or slid down the jetway and carried to the belt loader or baggage bin.

She was connecting. She probably gate checked at first flight and it got damaged in transit to next flight at connecting airport.

Seabear

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:10 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
Seabear wrote:

Yes, I most definitely did read the article...your point is what, exactly?

Priceless, irreplaceable valuables should stay with the passenger.

wetpantsmcgee

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

Not always the case. When I worked ramp we would park a cart next to the slide as on some flights we would get 50+ gate checks.

WeatherPilot

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Now that everyone has a video camera in their pocket and posts to the internet live forever you’d think people in the customer service industry would be more concerned with how they treat their customers and their customers’ possessions.

NWAESC

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

Can't speak for every station, but most have slides attached to the jet bridge stairs. I **can** say that using one would NOT cause the damage in the OP's picture.

As for carts, it depends on how many bags you're expecting. In my station, we do a lot of both.

This bag either got dragged in it's connecting city or was chewed up in a sortation system.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

AirplaneFixer

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

This is true for every station. However when that bag gets to a hub it is then removed from the bin and either transferred to another plane or taken to baggage claim. From the looks of that bag it fell out of the cart and was stuck under the cart. Unfortunate but these things happen.

AirplaneFixer

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:16 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
Now that everyone has a video camera in their pocket and posts to the internet live forever you’d think people in the customer service industry would be more concerned with how they treat their customers and their customers’ possessions.

I think the ramp people, for the most part, try to treat customers bags with respect. As has been stated by quite a few already this bag unfortunately got stuck under a cart and was dragged. It was accidental, it happens time to time. Same with bags getting stuck in the sortation system when the arm or swinger catches them wrong.

sgbroimp

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:20 pm

No experienced flyer who has anything of more value than cheap clothing travels with soft sided luggage if he/she is checking it or may have to do so. Checking soft sided luggage will work most of the time, but odds are sooner or later it will get trashed. Spend a few bucks more on hard shell, which is not even heavier anymore. Checking soft sided is like going mountain climbing in a pair of tennises or flip flops.

ooslc

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:25 pm

This is why I have a hard shell carry on
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

IADCA

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:34 pm

It's getting near time for a separate sub-forum where the Delta fanboys can go discuss their own version of reality.

Yes, the passenger probably shouldn't have packed the items she did in a checked bag, but it's pretty insane what that bag came out looking like, regardless of what was in it. And to claim that a passenger buying a ticket on Delta and thus entering into a contract with Delta should not blame Delta when this is the result is borderline insane.

MIflyer12

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:57 pm

What, sixty million bags handled a year and the OP cites a single mangled bag? This forum needs mandatory proof of mastery of statistics as taught to 12-year old children.

737MAX7

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:05 pm

As others have said it looks like this bag fell out of a bag cart and was drug on the ramp. I feel bad for the customer but as a ramp rat myself this stuff happens. We get written up at the airline i work for if this happens so trust me when i say we don’t do this on purpose. However DGS/Menzies etc. that are 3rd party vendors that pay their rampers minimum wage I can understand then not caring at all. Not saying this is the case in this instance.

IADCA

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:07 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
What, sixty million bags handled a year and the OP cites a single mangled bag? This forum needs mandatory proof of mastery of statistics as taught to 12-year old children.

Your outrage is rather misplaced. If you read the OP, it's clearly not making any statistical claim about DL's (or any carrier's) handling of bags. It simply asks if anyone has had a personal item returned to them in as poor condition as the one in the article.

737MAX7 wrote:
As others have said it looks like this bag fell out of a bag cart and was drug on the ramp. I feel bad for the customer but as a ramp rat myself this stuff happens. We get written up at the airline i work for if this happens so trust me when i say we don’t do this on purpose. However DGS/Menzies etc. that are 3rd party vendors that pay their rampers minimum wage I can understand then not caring at all. Not saying this is the case in this instance.

This is just my ignorance of ramp operations, but how does the first sentence happen? I've seen bags fall off the top of the pile and out the side of the cart, but what does a bag get stuck on to get dragged along the ramp?

Aesma

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:11 pm

If a hard suitcase had gotten the same treatment as this one, I'm not sure it would look better.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Jetty

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:23 pm

2175301 wrote:
Jetty wrote:

With many airlines it's also written on the luggage tag you receive (not sure about Delta specifically). Either way every crew has to inquire about the contents of the bag as some items are allowed as carry-on but not in the hold (batteries etc.) and allow passengers to take these items with them on board plus the items that are valuable and/or irreplaceable..

RDUDDJI

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:30 pm

At one point in my airline career I worked in a baggage make up area. I've seen far worse damage from a bag that got caught in a high speed diverter. As a baggage service agent, I've also seen a pax's belongings arrive in a plastic bag, because the bag was totally destroyed, but the contents weren't.

Baggage policies are pretty clear. Hopefully DL will come to a good resolution with the customer.

Checking family heirlooms is beyond stupid...
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

stl07

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:32 pm

I really need to stop clicking on these sensational threads. Of course, every post said "blame the passenger" instead of discussing the issue.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

737MAX7

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm

737MAX7 wrote:

This is just my ignorance of ramp operations, but how does the first sentence happen? I've seen bags fall off the top of the pile and out the side of the cart, but what does a bag get stuck on to get dragged along the ramp?[/quote]

They usually either get stuck under a wheel on the baggage cart or under the cart itself. When this happens we can’t see the bag until we get to baggage claim or someone else points it out to us. We use open carts at my airline so it’s a bit easier for us to hit a bump and lose a bag and it get drug. I’ve also seen what the bag belt system at CLE can do to a bag as well. We’ve had them show up in the bag room 4 hours after departure ripped to shreds because they got stuck some place.
Last edited by 737MAX7 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm

2175301 wrote:
Jetty wrote:

Or just tell them no. Gate-checking hand luggage is a request, not a demand. You have the right to keep it with you, only lots of people don't know that.

Personally I'm very shuddered to gate-check my hand luggage, it's hand luggage for a reason. A couple of times I've been asked to gate-check my hand luggage, I've said no and was allowed to bring it on board.

spinotter

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:00 pm

2175301 wrote:
Jetty wrote:

Have a great day,

It is just basic common sense.

WayexTDI

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:02 pm

spinotter wrote:
2175301 wrote:
Jetty wrote:

Have a great day,

It is just basic common sense.

Well, common sense was thrown out of the window years ago. And this is the result.

OB1504

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:39 pm

FluidFlow wrote:
What would actually happen if there were a LiPo or another form of accumulator in the luggage? Will they inform you again when they take your carry on to make sure you remove them? Significant damage to the bag like this can also damage an accumulator and lead to a fire. I always bring a spare accumulator for my notebook to be able to work and that one is always in the carry on. I probably would forget to take it out if I am rushed to check it at the gate.

American trains their agents to ask about lithium batteries when gate checking items. Presumably the other majors have similar procedures.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
2175301 wrote:
Jetty wrote:

Or just tell them no. Gate-checking hand luggage is a request, not a demand. You have the right to keep it with you, only lots of people don't know that.

Personally I'm very shuddered to gate-check my hand luggage, it's hand luggage for a reason. A couple of times I've been asked to gate-check my hand luggage, I've said no and was allowed to bring it on board.

If there physically isn’t any space left to accommodate the bag in the cabin, how does someone exercise that “right”?

mugler wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

At my airport it’s the major airline’s own employees that don’t seem to care about people’s baggage, but the vendors are generally careful.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:59 pm

OB1504 wrote:
If there physically isn’t any space left to accommodate the bag in the cabin, how does someone exercise that “right”?

I've never encountered that. Mostly the gate agents are very over eager to gate-check hand luggage, they put just about all of it in the hold. The result is that the bins are almost empty, there's always room for those few who do bring their hand luggage on board such as me.

One time I was flying Vueling and while waiting at the gate a guy came and put a sticker on every piece of hand luggage that had to be gate checked. Once he was gone, a lot of people including me pulled off those stickers so a lot of hand luggage that was supposed to be gate checked still got carried on board. The bins were quite full, not a lot of empty space left, but still it all fitted.

Of course there are airlines who charge extra for bringing large hand luggage on board, such as Ryanair. In that case I do pay for it, but my bag doesn't go in the hold. No way! If they want to gate check some luggage let it be someone elses luggage, but not mine.

By the way, more and more airlines are installing larger overhead bins so more hand luggage can be brought on board. It's time the gate agents start following that trend.

AbigailWT

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:45 pm

Seabear wrote:

it was CARRY-ON luggage, Einstein! "oh" -- indeed!

DocLightning

Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:24 am

mugler wrote:

Yet the general public will believe it was Delta's fault.

If you buy a ticket on Delta and the airplane says "Delta" on the outside, then it doesn't matter if it's DL mainline or a contracted regional carrier; that airline is doing business as a branch of Delta. Moreover, Delta is responsible for selecting its contractors and holding them to an agreed standard of service.

This business of saying that airlines should be blameless as soon as a third-party contractor touches a case is pretty tired.

I do agree, however, that anything priceless should be hand-carried.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos