OB1504

Re: Delta luggage abuse

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
kiowa wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

It is always a certain type of (often difficult) airline staff who does not want to get filmed. :sarcastic:

I do not like random people filming me either. Social media is so large and can be manipulated so easily. It would also take a lot of effort and a back hoe for me to mangle a bag like the Delta one.

Fortunately you don't get to decide that.

We live in an era of Internet witch hunts and someone just doing their job can easily have their lives ruined by an online mob that doesn’t bother to wait for all the facts to come in.

Some people are just plain crazy and air travel brings it out in them. One time I had a passenger who had misconnected hunt me down at the counter a week later to yell at me. Another coworker was the subject of online harassment from a disgruntled passenger and that was when we stopped giving out last names.

People weren’t subtle when they filmed me but it didn’t matter because the service I gave was always worthy of a training video.

richierich

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:06 pm

IPFreely wrote:
kiowa wrote:
By the looks of the bag I don’t see how the passenger is to blame. Delta destroyed that bag.

I don't think jetty is arguing about who destroyed the bag; I think his point is the passenger should not have put anything of value in the bag to begin with.

But as far as who destroyed the bag, as was pointed out above it's unlikely that any Delta employee even touched the bag. It was almost certainly destroyed by a third party contractor, not Delta.

Who gives a sh!t whether it was a DL employee or not? What a bunch of baloney. She purchased a ticket on DL and we all know that many customers don't know the difference (or don't care) who is actually operating the plane or loading the bags. If the ticket is DL, the plane is in DL livery (more or less), and the said party at fault was contracted by Delta, for all intents and purposes IT'S DELTA.

With that, clearly this person should have given more thought to what valuables were in her carry-on bag that became an unintended checked bag. I think that when the overhead bins are full and we are forced to hand our carry-on bag to the flight attended for 'safe stowing' below the plane, none of us would expect the bag to be returned to us in that condition. Frankly, I'd be pretty pissed off too, even if I only had old jeans and some sneakers in there.
None shall pass!!!!

Super80Fan

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:33 am

WayexTDI wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
AIRT0M wrote:

In certain areas of the world (EU for example) it is illegal to film people against their will. And rightly so. I've seen passengers literally blackmailing airport staff, they would post their names and photos online, if they don't get this or that.

Thankfully here in the USA we don't follow Nazi era laws. Air carriers of course forbid unauthorized (as in filming employees/customers without their permission) on their own private property but if the public airport allows it you can film to your hearts content (while risking your ticket being cancelled if you are on that particular carrier).

Nazi era laws??? You mean, laws that respect privacy vs the "big companies can do whatever they want to screw you and there is nothing you can do about it" US-type laws???

Companies can usually get away with whatever they want. The laws you are talking about are meant for John Doe walking down the street with his iPhone camera. People can't fight vs big corporations but they can gang up on some random guy.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Super80Fan

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:35 am

OB1504 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
kiowa wrote:

I do not like random people filming me either. Social media is so large and can be manipulated so easily. It would also take a lot of effort and a back hoe for me to mangle a bag like the Delta one.

Fortunately you don't get to decide that.

We live in an era of Internet witch hunts and someone just doing their job can easily have their lives ruined by an online mob that doesn’t bother to wait for all the facts to come in.

Some people are just plain crazy and air travel brings it out in them. One time I had a passenger who had misconnected hunt me down at the counter a week later to yell at me. Another coworker was the subject of online harassment from a disgruntled passenger and that was when we stopped giving out last names.

People weren’t subtle when they filmed me but it didn’t matter because the service I gave was always worthy of a training video.

...And that is why airlines forbid filming crew members & passengers on their aircraft. Can't stop it in public though, although other laws apply depending on the situation such as harassment, disorderly conduct, stalking etc.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

WayexTDI

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:15 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Thankfully here in the USA we don't follow Nazi era laws. Air carriers of course forbid unauthorized (as in filming employees/customers without their permission) on their own private property but if the public airport allows it you can film to your hearts content (while risking your ticket being cancelled if you are on that particular carrier).

Nazi era laws??? You mean, laws that respect privacy vs the "big companies can do whatever they want to screw you and there is nothing you can do about it" US-type laws???

Companies can usually get away with whatever they want. The laws you are talking about are meant for John Doe walking down the street with his iPhone camera. People can't fight vs big corporations but they can gang up on some random guy.

That still doesn't warrant the term "Nazi era laws"...

But, hold on man: so, you're basically saying that the European laws that protect individuals from being filmed without their consent are good (since they prevent people "gang[ing] up on some random dude", yet call them "Nazi era laws"??? You're contradicting yourself here...

spinkid

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:36 pm

AbigailWT wrote:
Seabear wrote:
Who packs a "priceless heirloom" in checked baggage? Oh, this specimen...

it was CARRY-ON luggage, Einstein! "oh" -- indeed!

Still, it was gate checked. If it was that important, she should have removed it.

In Delta's defense I have a feeling that an awful lot of customers who have damaged bags just so happened to have "priceless heirlooms" in their bags.

I can just as easily see this conversation happening
customer "and look, I got these cute moccassions when we visited the reservation, and they are all ruined"
friend "tell them it was a family heirloom, I bet you'll get more money for them"

I'm not saying it went down that way. I'm just offering another angle.

Super80Fan

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:17 am

WayexTDI wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

That still doesn't warrant the term "Nazi era laws"...

But, hold on man: so, you're basically saying that the European laws that protect individuals from being filmed without their consent are good (since they prevent people "gang[ing] up on some random dude", yet call them "Nazi era laws"??? You're contradicting yourself here...

No, I'm saying that the European laws are awful, Nazi like because they are against freedom, and would be considered unconstitutional here in the US.

I'm saying those laws in Europe are bad because they allow people to "gang up on a random dude using his iPhone camera".

Photography is NOT a crime on public property.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

bennett123

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:34 am

No pictures = no evidence.

Suits airlines and their staff.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos