Seabear

Re: Delta luggage abuse

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:16 am

AbigailWT wrote:
Seabear wrote:
Who packs a "priceless heirloom" in checked baggage? Oh, this specimen...

it was CARRY-ON luggage, Einstein! "oh" -- indeed!

Nice try, sport. The bag was gate checked...the passenger should have removed the valuables, simple as that. It's called "personal responsibility".

FF630

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:04 am

I am a loyal Delta flyer, million miler, flew on my first Delta plane (DC-7) at an early age. Delta destroyed my Tumi carry-on , the trip involved a Delta Connection carrier. The bag was transfered in ATL from the DAL connection flight to a mainline plane It did not arrive at my home airport , JAX.

Delta had it delivered the next day to my home, it was wrapped in a huge plastic bag with Delta logo. When I took it out of the plastic bag it looked like it had been through a meat grinder. I was furious Delta did not notify me the exterior of the bag had been destroyed before it was delivered to me. The Delta bag tag for million miler designation was on the bag. I'm sure when I put in a claim for lost luggage at the JAX baggage office my Delta profile was displayed for the baggage agent.

I contacted Delta and was told it should have been reported to the delivery driver !

My point is don't count on any airline to be reasonable about any damage claim regardless of how devoted a customer you may be to their airline.

I never was reimbursed for my $600 Tumi bag. Big Ed loves to say Delta treats it's customers better than other airlines ! Bulls--t

Thibault973

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:18 am

IPFreely wrote:
kiowa wrote:
By the looks of the bag I don’t see how the passenger is to blame. Delta destroyed that bag.

I don't think jetty is arguing about who destroyed the bag; I think his point is the passenger should not have put anything of value in the bag to begin with. .

And how exactly are you supposed to move your valuable stuff from point A to B then ?

I can sympathise with her, when moving from France to Spain, my mom carried all of her jewellery in her carry on. The Transavia gate agent had her check in her bag at the gate saying the couldnt accomodate any more carry ons on the plane even though she told them she had valuables in it. Well you guessed it, when in Madrid, the bag appeared torn apart on the conveyer belt with every bit of valuable item gone. Everything. She cried for days and Transavia offered something like 100$ compensation. Off course she sued but by the look of it it's not going anywhere.

alasizon

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:41 am

737MAX7 wrote:
IADCA wrote:
This is just my ignorance of ramp operations, but how does the first sentence happen? I've seen bags fall off the top of the pile and out the side of the cart, but what does a bag get stuck on to get dragged along the ramp?

They usually either get stuck under a wheel on the baggage cart or under the cart itself. When this happens we can’t see the bag until we get to baggage claim or someone else points it out to us. We use open carts at my airline so it’s a bit easier for us to hit a bump and lose a bag and it get drug. I’ve also seen what the bag belt system at CLE can do to a bag as well. We’ve had them show up in the bag room 4 hours after departure ripped to shreds because they got stuck some place.

Other regular occurrence is on a curve the bag falls out of the front cart and ends up between the carts or under the rear cart. A lot of times, agents have no idea because its not something obvious that you can hear or see.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
If there physically isn’t any space left to accommodate the bag in the cabin, how does someone exercise that “right”?

I've never encountered that. Mostly the gate agents are very over eager to gate-check hand luggage, they put just about all of it in the hold. The result is that the bins are almost empty, there's always room for those few who do bring their hand luggage on board such as me.

Given this was on a Delta Connection carrier, it likely was a CRJ or E175 but from my guess it was an E175 and the overhead bins had filled up which happens from time to time. At that point, the gate agent would have had to check the bag to her final destination.

Most of your examples were Euro carriers where passengers are far more check bag happy as opposed to oversized carry-ons and also in general in my opinion carry less luggage.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

IPFreely

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:01 am

FF630 wrote:
Delta destroyed my Tumi carry-on , the trip involved a Delta Connection carrier.

So most likely it was Delta Connection or a contract employment company, not Delta, that destroyed your Tumi carry-on.

GatorClark

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:55 am

Ok this could potentially be right up my alley. I'm a DL Ramp Operator. This kind of stuff LITERALLY happens daily. Every airline. Every airport. To reply to the OP, what makes you say this HAD to be intentional. Ramp operators don't usually have the time or the desire to purposely damage someones baggage and certainly not to this extent. As a ramp operator, I can definitely say this was damaged either in the BHS (baggage handling system) at an airport, or it did indeed fall out of the baggage cart and get a serious case of ramp rash. Also, at the airport I work at (RSW) our gate agents DO in fact advise customers that have to gate check luggage that they should remove all valuables from their luggage as well as the usual items that are prohibited in checked bags. (A full list of the items prohibited by DL can be found on their website). While I do agree with several posters that said that DL gets more people jumping to their defense on this site, this DOES happen at DL and its not necessarily intentional. As for the claim filed by the passenger, I've had the pleasure of observing our CSA's in the baggage services office on several occasions and they do make every effort to obtain a good price. I don't know of any airline that just takes a passenger's word for how much something is worth without some kind of evidence supporting that. "heirloom" items are especially hard for CSA's to value as there is often more sentimental value than actual financial value. As for whether or not it was done by a subcontractor such as DGS, ATS, or Swissport, I'd urge everybody to read the fine print in the "contract of carriage" that every airline has and I'd say this for EVERY airline. Not just DL, AA, UA, or WN. And please people. TRY not to put your extremely valuable items in your checked bag. From the time it gets that pretty little white luggage tag, to the time you grab it off the baggage claim carousel, your bag goes through a pretty rough ride. Even the BHS at the airport is not extra gentle with your bags. I do know from experience with DL, they will try to resolve this as much to the customer's satisfaction as possible. Delta is not in the business of making customers not want to fly with them again. Disclaimer: I'm a DL employee so I can only speak from my experience working for DL. I can't speak for how any other airline resolves disputes like this.

mjoelnir

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:41 am

Seabear wrote:

Again somebody who does not read the article before beating on the passenger.

The bag was supposed to be hand luggage. The airline forced her to check it in.

twicearound

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:36 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
2175301 wrote:
Jetty wrote:
If that happens you still get advised to take expensive (or priceless) items with you on the plane. Passenger is to blame here.

I have been told to gate check my carry-on many times.... Not once was I advised that I should remove valuables from it.

Or just tell them no. Gate-checking hand luggage is a request, not a demand. You have the right to keep it with you, only lots of people don't know that.

Personally I'm very shuddered to gate-check my hand luggage, it's hand luggage for a reason. A couple of times I've been asked to gate-check my hand luggage, I've said no and was allowed to bring it on board.

Wrong. When the overhead space is full or the aircraft type cannot accommodate larger bags, it is a demand. Trust me, I've seen many people offloaded because they were second to last to board and tried to "refuse" gate checking their large roller. In a way, I suppose part of your statement is correct. You CAN keep it with you, left behind at the gate.

mjoelnir

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:48 am

GatorClark wrote:
Ok this could potentially be right up my alley. I'm a DL Ramp Operator. This kind of stuff LITERALLY happens daily. Every airline. Every airport. To reply to the OP, what makes you say this HAD to be intentional. Ramp operators don't usually have the time or the desire to purposely damage someones baggage and certainly not to this extent. As a ramp operator, I can definitely say this was damaged either in the BHS (baggage handling system) at an airport, or it did indeed fall out of the baggage cart and get a serious case of ramp rash. Also, at the airport I work at (RSW) our gate agents DO in fact advise customers that have to gate check luggage that they should remove all valuables from their luggage as well as the usual items that are prohibited in checked bags. (A full list of the items prohibited by DL can be found on their website). While I do agree with several posters that said that DL gets more people jumping to their defense on this site, this DOES happen at DL and its not necessarily intentional. As for the claim filed by the passenger, I've had the pleasure of observing our CSA's in the baggage services office on several occasions and they do make every effort to obtain a good price. I don't know of any airline that just takes a passenger's word for how much something is worth without some kind of evidence supporting that. "heirloom" items are especially hard for CSA's to value as there is often more sentimental value than actual financial value. As for whether or not it was done by a subcontractor such as DGS, ATS, or Swissport, I'd urge everybody to read the fine print in the "contract of carriage" that every airline has and I'd say this for EVERY airline. Not just DL, AA, UA, or WN. And please people. TRY not to put your extremely valuable items in your checked bag. From the time it gets that pretty little white luggage tag, to the time you grab it off the baggage claim carousel, your bag goes through a pretty rough ride. Even the BHS at the airport is not extra gentle with your bags. I do know from experience with DL, they will try to resolve this as much to the customer's satisfaction as possible. Delta is not in the business of making customers not want to fly with them again. Disclaimer: I'm a DL employee so I can only speak from my experience working for DL. I can't speak for how any other airline resolves disputes like this.

There is no excuse for destroying the property of other people.

And one more, rant beating up on passengers that expect that their property is handled with care by the airline and their staff.

The lady did not intend to check her bag. The airline insisted on it.

georgiaame

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:42 pm

You are ALWAYS advised to hand carry valuable objects, not to check medications, etc! That said, I don't know what Delta has done in recent months and years, but their luggage checking, at least here in the US and Europe has become spectacular. Maybe it's my Medallion status, but my bags are usually waiting for me, or arrive at the carousel in minutes. They haven't been destroyed. I'm the guy who always carried on, mostly for convenience but really for the fear of losing a bag. Past trips in the past 2 years domestic and international, their luggage service has been really great. It is amazing how far that airline has come since its near destruction by corporate raider Leo Mullin.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:31 pm

twicearound wrote:
Wrong. When the overhead space is full or the aircraft type cannot accommodate larger bags, it is a demand. Trust me, I've seen many people offloaded because they were second to last to board and tried to "refuse" gate checking their large roller. In a way, I suppose part of your statement is correct. You CAN keep it with you, left behind at the gate.

Then you should just make sure you're not second to last to board when you want to keep your hand luggage with you, which is the case if you have valuables in it. When you have nothing important in there and you don't mind about gate-checking, then you can stand last in line.

Personally, I always make sure I'm one of the first to board. That might be one of the reasons I have always been able to keep my hand luggage with me. Oh yes, I have been asked to gate-check even when I was first in line. I refused and they just asked someone else instead of me.

Boof02671

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Ramp Operator? Never heard that term used to describe a ramper.

SurlyBonds

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Seabear wrote:
Who packs a "priceless heirloom" in checked baggage?

Someone who "planned to carry on her luggage but was told by airline representatives at the airport she needed to check it" (verbatim from the article).

And while it is good that Delta has "reached out to her directly to try to make this right" (again verbatim), they should not have waited until this matter went viral on Twitter. She should have made it right from the beginning, when no-one was watching, instead of offering a mealy $350 because she didn't have receipts for family heirlooms.

This is a great example of why we need to re-regulate the airlines by adopting a strong passenger's bill of rights.

SurlyBonds

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:32 pm

IPFreely wrote:
...the passenger should not have put anything of value in the bag to begin with.

Once DL insisted that she check her carry-on, where should the passenger have put her heirlooms? In that portable invisible hole we all carry around with us?

Maybe she could have transported the heirlooms home to Canada by the floo network?

IPFreely wrote:
But as far as who destroyed the bag, as was pointed out above it's unlikely that any Delta employee even touched the bag. It was almost certainly destroyed by a third party contractor, not Delta.

That is irrelevant. Prime contractors are liable for the failures of subcontractors.

SurlyBonds

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:36 pm

aumaverick wrote:
Lessons learned:
1) Don't pack priceless heirlooms carelessly in a roll-aboard, regardless if carry-on or not
2) Remove all valuables before checking a bag
3) Don't buy cheap luggage from off-price retailers

Lesson 4: some posters on a.net are privileged dicks.

SurlyBonds

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Thibault973 wrote:

I can sympathise with her, when moving from France to Spain, my mom carried all of her jewellery in her carry on. The Transavia gate agent had her check in her bag at the gate saying the couldnt accomodate any more carry ons on the plane even though she told them she had valuables in it. Well you guessed it, when in Madrid, the bag appeared torn apart on the conveyer belt with every bit of valuable item gone. Everything. She cried for days and Transavia offered something like 100$ compensation. Off course she sued but by the look of it it's not going anywhere.

I think the best tactic for pax being asked to check valuables is to whip out the 'old smartphone and video record the agent making the request, open the luggage and video record the valuables, and then video record the luggage being taken away. Make sure you get the agents nametag in the photo.

On two occasions, I have had rank-and-file check in agents make serious errors on check-in (once in DEL, the other in ABQ). On both occasions, I recorded the incident to howls of protest from the check-in agent. On both occasions, a supervisor appeared who couldn't have been more helpful.

kiowa
Topic Author

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:45 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

ramp engineer?

SurlyBonds

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:46 pm

GatorClark wrote:
To reply to the OP, what makes you say this HAD to be intentional..

I've no idea whether it's intentional -- but it's clearly negligent. Look up "res ipsa loquitor," champ.

SurlyBonds

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:48 pm

twicearound wrote:

I too have successfully declined requests to gate check bags. On another occasion, I asked if I could take the next flight instead, as I had important medicine in my bag, and the airline (UA) happily obliged (this was on their practically hourly EWR-SFO route). I suppose it likely wouldn't work in the case of regional jets, but there you usually get your back back immediately on deplaning.

MKIAZ

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:30 pm

IPFreely wrote:
New Mexico connecting to Canada was likely on Delta Connection. Add in all the outsourced baggage handlers and it is almost certain that her bag was destroyed by a third party contractor and not a Delta employee.

Yea, but gate checked bags don't go on a cart at the first station.... they would at the connecting airport, prob SLC or ATL.

jayunited

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:30 pm

aumaverick wrote:
Lessons learned:
1) Don't pack priceless heirlooms carelessly in a roll-aboard, regardless if carry-on or not
2) Remove all valuables before checking a bag
3) Don't buy cheap luggage from off-price retailers

I spent 18 years on the ramp at ORD working for United Airlines before coming to Willis Tower and I can tell you I've seen all types of luggage destroyed even expensive luggage. Like other have stated this bag more than likely fell out of a baggage cart at the transfer station and was dragged or it could have been destroyed in the baggage sorter. At ORD I've seen UA's baggage sorter destroy many bags seeing that the belts in the heart of the sorter are moving at over 50 mph. Spending $300 or more dollars on a piece of luggage doesn't mean its indestructible. Also as long as passengers are not packing dangerous goods in their suitcase or anything else banned by the DOT then they are free to pack whatever they want in their luggage and while most people know their bags once checked aren't handled with kid gloves most people do not expect their bag to be destroyed.

Quite a few people have eluded to this earlier in this thread that if this was any other U.S. carrier would people be so quick to blame the passenger for the airlines destroying her bag? These things happen and UA's response would have been the same as DL's just pay the customer the minimum and move on. But like another person pointed out DL made sure the world knew they sent an aircraft to pick up those children AA stranded in OKC free of charge. Something that cost DL tens of thousands of dollars but when it comes to a passengers bag that they destroyed the passenger is wrong should have removed her valuables has to jump through hoops just to get compensated.

WayexTDI

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:08 pm

IPFreely wrote:
FF630 wrote:
Delta destroyed my Tumi carry-on , the trip involved a Delta Connection carrier.

So most likely it was Delta Connection or a contract employment company, not Delta, that destroyed your Tumi carry-on.

Doesn't matter to the pax; he/she bought a ticket on Delta, Delta is responsible.

AIRT0M

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:32 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:

I think the best tactic for pax being asked to check valuables is to whip out the 'old smartphone and video record the agent making the request, open the luggage and video record the valuables, and then video record the luggage being taken away. Make sure you get the agents nametag in the photo.

On two occasions, I have had rank-and-file check in agents make serious errors on check-in (once in DEL, the other in ABQ). On both occasions, I recorded the incident to howls of protest from the check-in agent. On both occasions, a supervisor appeared who couldn't have been more helpful.

In certain areas of the world (EU for example) it is illegal to film people against their will. And rightly so. I've seen passengers literally blackmailing airport staff, they would post their names and photos online, if they don't get this or that.

OB1504

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:10 pm

AIRT0M wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:

In certain areas of the world (EU for example) it is illegal to film people against their will. And rightly so. I've seen passengers literally blackmailing airport staff, they would post their names and photos online, if they don't get this or that.

It’s not illegal in the United States (except for recording airport credentials), but many airlines prohibit it and will offload a passenger who refuses to comply.

It’s always a certain type of (often difficult) passenger who advocates recording like this.

IPFreely

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:26 am

jayunited wrote:
But like another person pointed out DL made sure the world knew they sent an aircraft to pick up those children AA stranded in OKC free of charge. Something that cost DL tens of thousands of dollars but when it comes to a passengers bag that they destroyed the passenger is wrong should have removed her valuables has to jump through hoops just to get compensated.

From the posts made in that thread, it wasn't done free-of-charge. That was a misleading title. Regardless, I think we all know whatever hoops this woman jumps through she is not going to get more than the absolute minimum compensation regardless of her losses.

bennett123

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:08 am

With no recording, there is no evidence.

Just the way some staff want it.

kiowa
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:01 pm

bennett123 wrote:
With no recording, there is no evidence.

Just the way some staff want it.

There are plenty of pictures of the bag that was destroyed as evidence or is that not what you are referring to?

MSPNWA

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:15 pm

I feel for the PAX. That's seriously bad luck. DL needs to make that right and care for everybody, not just those that make good PR.

I don't get the point to give her any blame for this. It just makes you look bad. She did what we're told to do - carry-on any valuable items. And it wasn't like this was a fragile glass vase or something. This literally took a bag being ripped apart to damage, and that's a rare event.

peterinlisbon

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:39 pm

I've had bags arriving ripped open at Istanbul on a couple of occasions (both the old and new airports, with BA and TK). I think Delta was being quite generous to pay 500 dollars - TK offered me 200TL (about 30$) for the damage they caused. It must be because I forgot to mention that my suitcase was actually a "priceless heirloom".

bennett123

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:40 pm

Kiowa

I was referring to the situation where disputes arise at Check In or onboard where it is the passengers word vs the CSA/FA.

NWAESC

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

It’s the title used for job openings at DL. That said, this is the first time I’ve ever seen it used outside of that.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

cwa2toa

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:56 pm

My mom had a brand new suitcase, bought 2 days before her flight home from MSP. When it arrived at LAX there was a cigarette burn on the front. No one in the family smokes. Photos taken, letter to DL and she got reimbursed. That was the last time she flew DL. Switched to Sun Country with never a problem.
We’ll pick a star
in the twilight canopy
and search the world
for the sights you long to see.
Your heart is young,
you’re alive, so come with me.

TWA, up, up, and away!
:airplane:

LX015

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Seabear wrote:

If you read the article, you would have seen that it was her carry on bag. But she was told there was no space in the cabin, therefore it was checked.

LX015

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:24 pm

mugler wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
New Mexico connecting to Canada was likely on Delta Connection. Add in all the outsourced baggage handlers and it is almost certain that her bag was destroyed by a third party contractor and not a Delta employee.

Yet the general public will believe it was Delta's fault. I've seen the way third parties treat bags while offloading and loading bags while being in the ramp myself to the planes and they just don't care and will do it more if they're told to be careful. Whether its the type of job, work conditions or how much they get paid it's bad and Swissport and all the other companies must take action or how about the airlines start charging these companies the bills for broken bags

You're so sure it wasn't Delta"s ground staff that handles Delta Connection flights?

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:28 pm

A damaged bag on DL? How dare they! DL must be grounded until they ensure all bags get treated properly, otherwise they need to close down!

Honestly though, given how there are many ways a bag can get damaged while on transit at an airport (baggage handling system violence, bags falling off the baggage cart without operator noticing it, etc etc), it's safe to say that you need to invest in getting a sturdier luggage. I bought myself a hard shell luggage & I've never regretted it once.

Also, people need to understand that an airline's liability in this case is limited. Otherwise unscrupulous people can cheat by claiming thousands of dollars in damages without proof & the airlines will have to pay them. Who pays for the cheats in the end? You and me, through higher fares.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

kiowa
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Kiowa

I was referring to the situation where disputes arise at Check In or onboard where it is the passengers word vs the CSA/FA.

Got it. Thank you.

DL757NYC

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:39 am

That looks like it fell of a luggage cart and then was run over and dragged by a luggage cart. Luggage carts can have 1-4 carts hooked together. People want to have their luggage treated with care and caution. Just the nature of the conveyor system and the actual loading it doesn’t happen. It’s not from a lack of care or the employees do it on purpose. The system isn’t design for gentle care.

If the luggage goes on a narrow body it has to make it from the cargo door to the position where it’s neing loaded. On a 757 there are 3-4 guys loading the flight usually 3 these days. That bag has to be thrown from the door all the way to the guy stacking. The first bags have to literally be thrown what’s seems to be the length of a bowling alley. Another factor is time. Certain flights can have 350 bags plus thousands of pounds of cargo and mail. Try loading and unloading 3-5 flights a shift. You literally can touch up to 1000 bags a shift. There just isn’t the time to be careful and slow. My suggestion is 1. Buy hard shell samsonite bags 2. Buy them used they can be had on eBay or thrift store for 25-75 dollars 3. Wrap your bag with tape. I use a packaging tape with nylon in it. If the bag is opened by TSA and it has tape they will retape most times. Don’t used luggage straps those things get either broken at the clip within 5 seconds or it gets jammed on the belt and the belt will keep moving damaging your bag. 4. Don’t put family heirlooms in luggage. It’s not a good idea to put a vase your grandmother gave you that’s been in the family for 200 years. No electronics iPads computers tablets. Your luggage travels miles just to get to the plane and back to you at your destination. Things happen in a system that handles volume. It’s nothing personal the employees are not there cursing passengers beating up luggage.

mugler

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:48 am

LX015 wrote:
mugler wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

Yet the general public will believe it was Delta's fault. I've seen the way third parties treat bags while offloading and loading bags while being in the ramp myself to the planes and they just don't care and will do it more if they're told to be careful. Whether its the type of job, work conditions or how much they get paid it's bad and Swissport and all the other companies must take action or how about the airlines start charging these companies the bills for broken bags

You're so sure it wasn't Delta"s ground staff that handles Delta Connection flights?

Im not and Im also not defending Delta whatsoever. Just saying in general that both airlines and vendors should treat bags better because I see the way they do and it’s horrible at least in my station. My point was that people often don’t know there’s third parties that sometimes handle the baggage and not the airline directly

catiii

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:20 am

mugler wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

So when it’s a good news story DL has no problem owning having the widget painted on the airplane. When it’s a bad news story the general public shouldn’t believe it’s DL’s fault?

Hypocrites.

GatorClark

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:37 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
GatorClark wrote:
To reply to the OP, what makes you say this HAD to be intentional..

I've no idea whether it's intentional -- but it's clearly negligent. Look up "res ipsa loquitor," champ.

I completely agree... Negligent? Definitely. Intentional? I HIGHLY doubt it. Not trying to make excuses for the actions of the ground crew wherever this happened. Actually I don't really care if they are a subcontractor, or a DL employee.. There is a reporting system in place when damage like this happens that baggage handlers/Ramp Operators/Rampers W/E you want to refer to us as, that all Delta ground crews and DL subcontractors are trained on, that if you see damage like this, it is to be reported IMMEDIATELY. So someone or multiple someones, definitely dropped the ball in more than one instance in this whole situation.

GatorClark

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:39 am

mjoelnir wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

And one more, rant beating up on passengers that expect that their property is handled with care by the airline and their staff.

The lady did not intend to check her bag. The airline insisted on it.

You're absolutely correct. There is NO excuse for it. I'm merely stating that it DOES happen and most of the time, it is most assuredly not intentional.
There is no excuse for destroying the property of other people.

Boof02671 wrote:

Delta.greatjob.net DL lists the job title as "Baggage Handler/Ramp Operator"

mjoelnir

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:10 am

OB1504 wrote:
AIRT0M wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:

It’s not illegal in the United States (except for recording airport credentials), but many airlines prohibit it and will offload a passenger who refuses to comply.

It’s always a certain type of (often difficult) passenger who advocates recording like this.

It is always a certain type of (often difficult) airline staff who does not want to get filmed. :sarcastic:

kiowa
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:56 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
AIRT0M wrote:

It is always a certain type of (often difficult) airline staff who does not want to get filmed. :sarcastic:

I do not like random people filming me either. Social media is so large and can be manipulated so easily. It would also take a lot of effort and a back hoe for me to mangle a bag like the Delta one.

IPFreely

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:21 pm

catiii wrote:
So when it’s a good news story DL has no problem owning having the widget painted on the airplane. When it’s a bad news story the general public shouldn’t believe it’s DL’s fault?

Hypocrites.

PR 101. Why do you think so many of Delta’s ads promoting their “completion factor” have an asterisk and “mainline only” in tiny print at the bottom?

kiowa
Topic Author

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:03 am

IPFreely wrote:
catiii wrote:

Hypocrites.

PR 101. Why do you think so many of Delta’s ads promoting their “completion factor” have an asterisk and “mainline only” in tiny print at the bottom?

Delta does do a good job of self-promotion but southwest is the king of PR. -and their feeders don't have asterisks-

Super80Fan

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:31 am

kiowa wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
OB1504 wrote:

I do not like random people filming me either. Social media is so large and can be manipulated so easily. It would also take a lot of effort and a back hoe for me to mangle a bag like the Delta one.

Fortunately you don't get to decide that.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Super80Fan

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:42 am

AIRT0M wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:

Thankfully here in the USA we don't follow Nazi era laws. Air carriers of course forbid unauthorized (as in filming employees/customers without their permission) on their own private property but if the public airport allows it you can film to your hearts content (while risking your ticket being cancelled if you are on that particular carrier).
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Indy

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:58 am

I flew DL out of RDU with a brand new suitcase. When I got to my destination, it looked about 10 years old. It was scratched up, banged up, and had some kind of red substance on one side. Don't know if it was clay or rust. Never had to clean a bag when I got to my destination before. Not sure what DL did to it but it was bad enough that the DL luggage office in RDU offered to give me a new bag.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

kiowa
Topic Author

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:25 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
kiowa wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Fortunately you don't get to decide that.

Decide what? Not sure I understand

WayexTDI

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
AIRT0M wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:

Thankfully here in the USA we don't follow Nazi era laws. Air carriers of course forbid unauthorized (as in filming employees/customers without their permission) on their own private property but if the public airport allows it you can film to your hearts content (while risking your ticket being cancelled if you are on that particular carrier).

Nazi era laws??? You mean, laws that respect privacy vs the "big companies can do whatever they want to screw you and there is nothing you can do about it" US-type laws???

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos