LAXintl
Topic Author

AZAL Azerbaijan Airlines ending U.S. service

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Per travel agency advisory, and confirmed by removal from GDS, AZAL Azerbaijan Airlines is dropping service to New York JFK. Last flight scheduled for September 30th.

Currently ops 2x weekly on 787-8 between Baku and JFK.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

LH658

Re: AZAL Azerbaijan Airlines ending U.S. service

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Was the flight mainly VFR traffic? Where will they send the aircraft next?

x1234

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Another vanity route with low volumes. You need high volumes to sustain the high airport charges in JFK. They're better off serving the US from the Western European hubs of LHR, FRA, CDG & AMS.

bhxdtw

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm actually a little surprised.

Twice a week on a 787 to JFK isn't exactly too taxing. I would assume that the gas industry in Azerbaijan would've helped as well as the fact that the Azeri diaspora in the USA has large pockets in Jersey and NY. Granted twice a week isn't very attractive for business travel.

Competition from TK, LH et al probably take away any business traffic.

I wonder if they had any interline agreements. Perhaps a interline with B6 or moving the flight to EWR and interlining with UA could've helped.

mercure1

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 pm

The route must have been a terrible performer that gas-rich nation does not want to keep it going even for vanity reasons.

Suppose a winner is TK which serves IST to GYD something like 6-7 times daily and can easily connect all its North America network quite conveniently.
mercure f-wtcc

LH658

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:40 pm

mercure1 wrote:
The route must have been a terrible performer that gas-rich nation does not want to keep it going even for vanity reasons.

Suppose a winner is TK which serves IST to GYD something like 6-7 times daily and can easily connect all its North America network quite conveniently.

Yup TK has so many flights a day to GYD and TLV.

AirFrance77W

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:12 pm

The schedule on this route ex-GYD was absolutely atrocious.

RWA380

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:54 pm

bhxdtw wrote:

Twice a week on a 787 to JFK isn't exactly too taxing. I would assume that the gas industry in Azerbaijan would've helped as well as the fact that the Azeri diaspora in the USA has large pockets in Jersey and NY. Granted twice a week isn't very attractive for business travel.

I wonder if they had any interline agreements. Perhaps a interline with B6 or moving the flight to EWR and interlining with UA could've helped.

Agreed the schedule is by no means taxing, but unless there is some premium cabin demand, even if the back is filled with VFR traffic, which traditionally is low yielding, the premium cabin will be the difference loss, between break even or profit. As you indicated with TK being in Star, I suspect both TK & LH capture the premium cabin business traveler.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

eamondzhang

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:12 am

AirFrance77W wrote:

Quite typical for flights departing from Middle Asia/South Asia (similar timezone).

Heck TK can sustain 3 flights daily departing in a similar timeframe (0215, 0500, 0630).

Not to mention others serving the airport (LH, SU, PS, B2 for example).

Michael

cedarjet

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:24 am

There is zero market between Baku and New York.
AirFrance77W wrote:

And they aren’t likely to stimulate one with a flight that leaves at 0500. That is absolutely appalling.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

rbavfan

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:39 am

bhxdtw wrote:

You do realize that with fuel prices dropping again they will loose that advantage due to less spread between thei cost and other aiirlines cost.

chunhimlai

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:56 am

The problem is the frequency is too low,

They should increase the frequency to at least daily

OzarkD9S

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:03 am

chunhimlai wrote:

Because if 2 flights a week is too much, 7 flights a week is just right? :rotfl:
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

KentB27

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:37 pm

I can't say that I'm surprised. Baku is neither a popular tourist or business destination for Americans and there really aren't that many Azeris living in the US.

dozerman

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:05 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
Heck TK can sustain 3 flights daily departing in a similar timeframe (0215, 0500, 0630).

Those are not exactly comparable to the JFK flights. TK and AZAL codeshare for their GYD-IST/SAW flights, they have up to 10 daily flights spread throughout the day. While JFK gets 2 weekly flights with only the very early morning option. Not to mention, the early morning flights into IST/SAW connect onwards to TK's European departure bank.

lesfalls

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:01 am

KentB27 wrote:
I can't say that I'm surprised. Baku is neither a popular tourist or business destination for Americans and there really aren't that many Azeris living in the US.

The Azerbaijani population is centered in NY so it did make a bit of sense. Otherwise I know that the flight was in the works for many years (more than 15 if I remember correctly) as I know that GYD wasn't able to get approved by the U.S regarding security.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

2travel2know2

Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:52 am

J2 has no or too little feed for its JFK at GYD and it doesn't operate GYD as a hub.
If it had some feed, perhaps, it could have continued on the route, even go thrice weekly.
Wonder why if Azeri premium traffic is so oil-related, J2 hasn't tried IAH.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

aemoreira1981

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:41 am

I would not be surprised if a large part was also attempting to compete with NYC-TLV one-stop traffic. However, to that end, PS retimed its JFK-KBP flight for better connections (KBP also has a flight from TLV that can feed the morning departure to JFK). However, KBP is also just within the range of a 1-day rotation now that that flight has been re-timed to be a morning KBP departure and an early afternoon JFK departure, while GYD is not within a 1-day rotation. (Prior to the re-timing, PS had its plane sit for 10 hours at JFK.)

I would have argued that a re-timing of the flight to a 12 AM to 1 AM departure would have been better, arriving at Terminal 4 around 4:30-5:30 AM, and then being towed to Terminal 1 for departure, along with having the flight operate on Wednesdays and Saturdays, instead of Monday and Saturday. The lack of a codeshare on the JFK end though is always a problem.

2travel2know2 wrote:
J2 has no or too little feed for its JFK at GYD and it doesn't operate GYD as a hub.
If it had some feed, perhaps, it could have continued on the route, even go thrice weekly.
Wonder why if Azeri premium traffic is so oil-related, J2 hasn't tried IAH.

GYD-IAH is 6180 nautical miles. While doable on a B788, the timings would be horrendous. Best to send them via FRA.

chunhimlai

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:02 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

Because if 2 flights a week is too much, 7 flights a week is just right? :rotfl:

the low frequency cannot attract business traveler

OzarkD9S

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:35 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

chunhimlai wrote:

NYC-Chicago, true. How many travelers per day are flying between the entire US and Azerbaijan? GYD-JFK screams "Vanity Route". Now if an E-145 had the legs you might be on to something. :sarcastic:
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:42 pm

Change of plans.

AZAL now says it will continue JFK 2x weekly.

As a result of the optimization of the fleet's technical capabilities and in accordance with the numerous wishes of passengers, Azerbaijan Airlines decided not to suspend flights from Baku to New York for another year.

https://news.az/articles/economy/140334
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

lhrsfosyd91

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Must have done a Facebook survey and decided to reinstate.

sonicruiser

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:59 pm

This is great news. I love seeing their bright blue 787 at JFK. You can spot it from a mile away, easily one of the best looking liveries out there.

CALMSP

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:09 pm

really enjoyed GYD and the city. Highly recommended for a 2-3 day visit/stopover. Glad they are keeping US service, and agree with others, the livery is great!

Thenoflyzone

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:22 pm

As a result of the optimization of the fleet's technical capabilities.....Azerbaijan Airlines decided not to suspend flights from Baku to New York for another year.

What does that even mean? Maybe it means they will shut down one engine during the flight to save some $$$$.

Wasn't surprised they were going to cancel the route. Still won't be surprised if they cancel it in 2020.

chunhimlai wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

Yes. All 12 business travelers that utilize the route will be thrilled of the new daily flight on NYC-Baku. :banghead:
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos