xwb777
Topic Author

Unconfirmed: Qatar to put Hamad Int Airport expansion on halt

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:50 pm

As per the announcement from the PM of Qatar, the government will stop the expansion of Hamad International Airport. This comes as the passengers numbers are decreasing and the continuous losses of the national carrier, Qatar Airways. The airport will remain at the current planned capacity of 36 million passenger.

Once an appropriate link is found, it will be posted.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited in accordance with forum rules

MoKa777

Re: Qatar to put Hamad Int Airport expansion on halt

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:21 pm

This makes sense. If pax numbers are dropping and QR is STILL loss making, there most certainly will be no ROI on any further expansion of the airport...
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

BrooklyBOMgal

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Isn't Saudia Arabia planning to make Qatar an island?

sabby

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:45 pm

I'm surprised DOH serves only 36 million passengers per year. The airport always seemed bigger to me and most of the time busy with lot of people. Then again I haven't been there outside of transit bank times.

CaliguyNYC

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:09 pm

I’m not surprised. With all the politics going on in the Gulf plus India refusing to grant more seats to Qatar, how will QR grow and prosper? More EU-BKK/DPS/KUL routes are not going to drive a premium airline.

johhn14

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:17 pm

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:

It's in the works - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salwa_Canal

PerfectGriffin

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:30 pm

A bit disappointing but sadly, when you lose 20% of your traffic, it's hard to make up for it.

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:

I wouldn't trust most of the things that KSA says...

PerfectGriffin

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:31 pm

sabby wrote:
I'm surprised DOH serves only 36 million passengers per year. The airport always seemed bigger to me and most of the time busy with lot of people. Then again I haven't been there outside of transit bank times.

They would be at 40m+ if it weren't for the blockade.

mr02

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Since when is QR unprofitable?

acavpics

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:32 pm

mr02 wrote:

Since the Gulf blockade started 2 years ago.

Blerg

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Such a shame, I always liked Qatar but reality is such and it's good to see them adapting to it. Oman Air and Saudi growing left and right isn't helping either.

mr02

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:49 pm

acavpics wrote:
mr02 wrote:

How are they dealing with the blockade and why was there a blockade imposed on Qatar?

lightsaber

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:59 pm

acavpics wrote:
mr02 wrote:

The current blockade is having an impact; I don't want to dismiss it, but QR must be run as a business. Reports 2013 and earlier were sketchy.

There is also an overall problem with the ME3.

EY is losing money by the ship load even before Jet fell apart.

EK made a tiny profit

While the Jet airways collapse is an opportunity, it won't last. TK and ET are quite competitive now.

I believe the ME3 over-expanded. EK was the only one run as a business.

Is was time to shrink anyway.
Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

enilria

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:04 pm

MoKa777 wrote:
This makes sense. If pax numbers are dropping and QR is STILL loss making, there most certainly will be no ROI on any further expansion of the airport...

To be fair this is about the air blockade. If not for that this would not be happening.

enilria

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:08 pm

lightsaber wrote:
acavpics wrote:
mr02 wrote:

The current blockade is having an impact; I don't want to dismiss it, but QR must be run as a business. Reports 2013 and earlier were sketchy.

EK made a tiny profit

While the Jet airways collapse is an opportunity, it won't last. TK and ET are quite competitive now.

Lightsaber

This is essentially a war. You can’t expect companies to be able to operate profitably in a war situation. The USA bailed out its airlines after 9/11 and that wasn’t even a war. It was a 1 day event...with long lasting implications, but even DCA was only closed for a couple of months. This air blockade is becoming years old.

mr02

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:10 pm

lightsaber wrote:
acavpics wrote:
mr02 wrote:

EK made a tiny profit

Lightsaber

Would you say the hub and spoke strategy is not working any more because of aircraft like the A350,787 which allow airlines to fly further?

chonetsao

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:18 pm

lightsaber wrote:
acavpics wrote:
mr02 wrote:

Lightsaber

I think to be fair Qatar Airways tried to run itself as a business. So they are conservative in aircraft order compared to EK. They realise that can not compete in size with EK. They rationalised routes with A320/A321. They joined global alliance in order to improve its connectivity. They invested in quality airlines unlike Etihad. Many things they did was correct.

But the deep problem I see is its lack of understanding of customer services and customer retentions. For example, one of the reason I would never fly with them is the segregation of lounges by travelling class. This is against my principle of FFP elite membership. I fly business quite often now, but I started with fly economy in youth. Thus I dislike airlines that put its frequent flyers in a much inferior lounge. In this regards, I have not been back to Qatar for few years now. I found other oneworld airline better.

Also it comes back to the customer service. Cabin crew on Qatar is great. The limited economy flights and business flight I had was wonderful. But the ground service is not so good.

Qatar Airways needs to be more customer friendly. It needs to show that the airline is hungry for customer and will go out their way to serve and to please.

santi319

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:47 pm

The money from the Government is running out...

SteelChair

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Another example of the interconnected nature of geo-politics and the airline industry.

Kilopond

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:41 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Another example of the interconnected nature of geo-politics and the airline industry.

If you look at the complete portfolio of the giant Qatari Investment Authority (QIA) you will see that Qatar Airwayd is just a dwarf among their investments. QR is worth peanuts in comparision to the rest. Maybe the QIA is just loosing ambitions to cross-subsidize that toy airline. They could liquidate Qatar Airways romorrow with a 100% write-off, cough a little bit and continue business as usual.

FrenchPotatoEye

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:52 pm

lightsaber wrote:
acavpics wrote:
mr02 wrote:

EK made a tiny profit

Lightsaber

Many times you mention tk and et expanding to somehow snuff out araabic airlines.

Yet I recall tk losing money. And let's face it - turkey only needs one terrorist-type event for traffic to plummet. Doha is at least a far safer transit hub than Istanbul.

777222LR

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:01 pm

I flew Qatar Airways recently from the US to South Africa. DOH is an amazing airport to transfer through. I stayed in the in-airport Oryx hotel since I had a 9 hour layover. The QSuite on the 777-300ER is phenomenal. The service on all 4 flights was incredible. It's a shame about the blockade. We followed a very specific path in and out of the Persian Gulf, careful not to touch another country. Aside from the additional travel time to Cape Town because of the way we had to fly out and around Oman, it was top notch.

Waterbomber2

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:15 pm

chonetsao wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
acavpics wrote:

Lightsaber

I think to be fair Qatar Airways tried to run itself as a business. So they are conservative in aircraft order compared to EK. They realise that can not compete in size with EK. They rationalised routes with A320/A321. They joined global alliance in order to improve its connectivity. They invested in quality airlines unlike Etihad. Many things they did was correct.

But the deep problem I see is its lack of understanding of customer services and customer retentions. For example, one of the reason I would never fly with them is the segregation of lounges by travelling class. This is against my principle of FFP elite membership. I fly business quite often now, but I started with fly economy in youth. Thus I dislike airlines that put its frequent flyers in a much inferior lounge. In this regards, I have not been back to Qatar for few years now. I found other oneworld airline better.

Also it comes back to the customer service. Cabin crew on Qatar is great. The limited economy flights and business flight I had was wonderful. But the ground service is not so good.

Qatar Airways needs to be more customer friendly. It needs to show that the airline is hungry for customer and will go out their way to serve and to please.

You sir are totally right.
QR isn't a bad airline, but it doesn't stand out as a good one either.
Out of our local airport they fly this tuna can B787 configuration and they can only capture market share if cheaply priced.
Catering is barely edible. It all tastes like goat.

The truth is that the Chinese competition can do cheap fares much better and the ME3 are being cornered.
They need to offer a lot more value.

And yes, I'm a OW Sapphire and hate their "poor people's lounge" treatment.

vadodara

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Something had to give after the relentless blockade. Already, Qatar had to swap out the narrow bodies for medium sized aircraft just to get around the blockading countries.

Pelly

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:27 pm

xwb777 wrote:
As per the announcement from the PM of Qatar, the government will stop the expansion of Hamad International Airport. This comes as the passengers numbers are decreasing and the continuous losses of the national carrier, Qatar Airways. The airport will remain at the current planned capacity of 36 million passenger.

Once an appropriate link is found, it will be posted.

Interesting that we have unattributed 'news' generate 33 responses and analysis.

1. The PM of Qatar did NOT announce the halting of the expansion of Hamad International Airport. The Qatar News Agency announced the Council of Ministers decision to cancel the original inter-agency committee established to build and expand Hamad International Airport which was established in 2002 https://twitter.com/QNAEnglish/status/1 ... 6580836352 . The committee was renamed several times (originally it was New Doha) and the latest name of the committee in 2017 was Hamad Airport Expansion committee . The committee involves all stake holders (government and non-government) and this is now cancelled as a new company was established to run the airport and streamline the project management also not as many stakeholders are involved in an expansion project vs a greenfield airport development.

2. UAE based media picked up on the news and re-framed it as a halt of to the expansion of the project as part of the media war in the current political crisis. The article was posted with this accompanying graphic. This was then picked up by other associated media.

3. Passenger numbers at DOH have recovered and are actually above the nameplate capacity of the current terminal (34.5m pax in 2018 vs 33m capacity). Gate capacity is full at the banking times and as a temporary solution more bus gates were added until the expansion is ready.

atcsundevil

Re: Unconfirmed: Qatar to put Hamad Int Airport expansion on halt

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:37 am

Since no link has yet been provided, "unconfirmed" has been added to the thread title. It is important for users to remember that information should not be presented factually if no published source exists; this is a requirement in the forum rules. If a source cannot be provided until later, then it should be considered "unconfirmed" or "rumor" until an official source exists.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos