Blerg
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:27 pm

767333ER wrote:
Blerg wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Rough day for the flight attendant and passengers. Why do some people have to become animals when they fly. Is it drugs and alcohol?


More like the abundance of unbundled fares. What did people expect when aviation became yet another form of mass transport.

So you’re one of those people that thinks we should still be dressing up in suit and tie to fly then? :shakehead:


Are you one of those people who flies in his pajamas?
 
Blerg
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:29 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
Blerg wrote:
More like the abundance of unbundled fares. What did people expect when aviation became yet another form of mass transport.


So this Delta flight is consistently priced (very lowest) at $615 for "basic economy" and exactly $120 more ($735) for "economy". Obviously, the same seats can be much more for weekends and close in bookings.

So you believe that $120 savings introduces a new and lesser behaved stratum of humanity to the gentile world of flying?
Was the offending pax flying to Paris to attend a back-alley tattoo festival? Or perhaps to run a sidewalk 3 card monte hustle?

PS - aviation is mass transport, and has always been for our lifetimes. full stop. feel free to buy your own plane if you object to this concept.


I didn't say I objected to it, I was merely pointing the obvious. As aviation became more and more popular (by becoming more accessible) there is great chance of having incidents. I don't see what's so shocking about this statement. After all, there isn't a week that passes by without some sort of drama in the plane.
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Blerg wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
Blerg wrote:
More like the abundance of unbundled fares. What did people expect when aviation became yet another form of mass transport.


So this Delta flight is consistently priced (very lowest) at $615 for "basic economy" and exactly $120 more ($735) for "economy". Obviously, the same seats can be much more for weekends and close in bookings.

So you believe that $120 savings introduces a new and lesser behaved stratum of humanity to the gentile world of flying?
Was the offending pax flying to Paris to attend a back-alley tattoo festival? Or perhaps to run a sidewalk 3 card monte hustle?

PS - aviation is mass transport, and has always been for our lifetimes. full stop. feel free to buy your own plane if you object to this concept.


I didn't say I objected to it, I was merely pointing the obvious. As aviation became more and more popular (by becoming more accessible) there is great chance of having incidents. I don't see what's so shocking about this statement. After all, there isn't a week that passes by without some sort of drama in the plane.


in response to " Why do some people have to become animals when they fly." you wrote "More like the abundance of unbundled fares. What did people expect when aviation became yet another form of mass transport."

clearly, you suggest that low fares ("unbundled fares") are responsible for animal like behaviour. you suggest that flight as "mass transport" is also to blame.
you say this is "obvious".

None of this is obvious to me. Nor is the attire of the flying public obvious to me as any kind of indicator or cause of poor behaviour (something you are also oddly fixated on).

Whats obvious to me, is that promotion of alcohol sales and consumption in airports, on planes is a terrible mix, and always has been. That, far more than cost of travel, or passengers attire is an "obvious" cause.
I've been castigated here on a.net for pointing that out, but so what - call a spade a spade. Take away the booze, and watch unruly behaviour drop precipitously. I am well aware that this will never, ever happen due to the massive commercial drive of sales.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:46 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
Blerg wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

So this Delta flight is consistently priced (very lowest) at $615 for "basic economy" and exactly $120 more ($735) for "economy". Obviously, the same seats can be much more for weekends and close in bookings.

So you believe that $120 savings introduces a new and lesser behaved stratum of humanity to the gentile world of flying?
Was the offending pax flying to Paris to attend a back-alley tattoo festival? Or perhaps to run a sidewalk 3 card monte hustle?

PS - aviation is mass transport, and has always been for our lifetimes. full stop. feel free to buy your own plane if you object to this concept.


I didn't say I objected to it, I was merely pointing the obvious. As aviation became more and more popular (by becoming more accessible) there is great chance of having incidents. I don't see what's so shocking about this statement. After all, there isn't a week that passes by without some sort of drama in the plane.


in response to " Why do some people have to become animals when they fly." you wrote "More like the abundance of unbundled fares. What did people expect when aviation became yet another form of mass transport."

clearly, you suggest that low fares ("unbundled fares") are responsible for animal like behaviour. you suggest that flight as "mass transport" is also to blame.
you say this is "obvious".

None of this is obvious to me. Nor is the attire of the flying public obvious to me as any kind of indicator or cause of poor behaviour (something you are also oddly fixated on).

Whats obvious to me, is that promotion of alcohol sales and consumption in airports, on planes is a terrible mix, and always has been. That, far more than cost of travel, or passengers attire is an "obvious" cause.
I've been castigated here on a.net for pointing that out, but so what - call a spade a spade. Take away the booze, and watch unruly behaviour drop precipitously. I am well aware that this will never, ever happen due to the massive commercial drive of sales.


So I am the one fixating on how people dress while replying to another person who actually brought it up?

And what is there not to understand? Lower fares attract more passengers. The more passengers you have the more problematic people fly. The more problematic people fly the more incidents there will be. I find this concept pretty simple.
 
User avatar
767333ER
Posts: 981
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:14 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Blerg wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
Blerg wrote:
More like the abundance of unbundled fares. What did people expect when aviation became yet another form of mass transport.


So this Delta flight is consistently priced (very lowest) at $615 for "basic economy" and exactly $120 more ($735) for "economy". Obviously, the same seats can be much more for weekends and close in bookings.

So you believe that $120 savings introduces a new and lesser behaved stratum of humanity to the gentile world of flying?
Was the offending pax flying to Paris to attend a back-alley tattoo festival? Or perhaps to run a sidewalk 3 card monte hustle?

PS - aviation is mass transport, and has always been for our lifetimes. full stop. feel free to buy your own plane if you object to this concept.


I didn't say I objected to it, I was merely pointing the obvious. As aviation became more and more popular (by becoming more accessible) there is great chance of having incidents. I don't see what's so shocking about this statement. After all, there isn't a week that passes by without some sort of drama in the plane.

No because I fly on a family member’s employee travel so I can’t, but I also don’t wear any more than nice shoes, nice jeans, and a simple button down shift and that’s considered compliant with the dress code. Why would I wear anything more just to sit in a hard seat for a few hours and while I’ll be eating and drinking coffee? The old status symbol of flying is gone for a very good reason, get over it. Besides most of the stupid behaviour I’ve seen on planes comes from the J class passengers anyway.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T
 
N649DL
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm

Rough Day indeed. I actually flew DL on LAX-AUS last night and someone puked in the isle and I almost stepped in it on the 320. Probably the only time I've witnessed vomit on a plane.

910A wrote:
Hopefully Mr. Morin will get to spend serious time in the lock-up. I see this guy is only 21, just wondering if a control substance is a factor in his behavior.


There are a variety of "Controlled" Substances. I highly doubt it was Adderall and booze, maybe Xanax in combination with booze (the latter being a big no-no.)
 
NWAESC
Posts: 1003
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:06 pm

N649DL wrote:
Rough Day indeed. I actually flew DL on LAX-AUS last night and someone puked in the isle and I almost stepped in it on the 320. Probably the only time I've witnessed vomit on a plane.


Lucky you! I'll bet there are quite a few people on here (myself included) that have seen waaaay more than our share.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
N649DL
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:11 pm

NWAESC wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Rough Day indeed. I actually flew DL on LAX-AUS last night and someone puked in the isle and I almost stepped in it on the 320. Probably the only time I've witnessed vomit on a plane.


Lucky you! I'll bet there are quite a few people on here (myself included) that have seen waaaay more than our share.


I suppose! I was always led on to believe that vomiting on a plane is a pretty rare event. Well, except for when I was 8 and got really sick on an EWR-SAN flight in 1996.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5873
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:05 pm

N649DL wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Rough Day indeed. I actually flew DL on LAX-AUS last night and someone puked in the isle and I almost stepped in it on the 320. Probably the only time I've witnessed vomit on a plane.


Lucky you! I'll bet there are quite a few people on here (myself included) that have seen waaaay more than our share.


I suppose! I was always led on to believe that vomiting on a plane is a pretty rare event. Well, except for when I was 8 and got really sick on an EWR-SAN flight in 1996.


I’ve flown close to a million miles and have seen it three times. I would consider it rare.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
TW870
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:12 pm

This thread is so depressing. Everyone is so busy lobbing insults that no one has actually posted a decent theory for why they had the 12-hour delay in Detroit.

Also, as the link the OP posted says, the guy is from Carmel. That is the wealthiest suburb of Indianapolis. Community median income is $110K (in a region where wages are lower than average). This 21-year old traipsing off to Paris for the summer is most likely quite well-to-do.

http://money.com/money/collection/2018- ... indiana-2/
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7327
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:23 pm

And FYI whatever he took he did it in the ground before getting on the flight. The guy was in Y in 33C and this happened shortly after takeoff from IND. They diverted to DTW while in the CLE/BUF area.
 
kiowa
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
And FYI whatever he took he did it in the ground before getting on the flight. The guy was in Y in 33C and this happened shortly after takeoff from IND. They diverted to DTW while in the CLE/BUF area.

Not sure how you know that he was not served alcohol on the flight or if he was allowed on the flight when inebriated but either one is not a good thing
 
ihaou
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:52 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:04 am

I’ve personally know this guy for a long time. It realllly frustrates me how the news blows incidents so far out of proportion. He was not drunk. He’s actually a French citizen, flys to France several times a year for extended periods. Speaks perfectly fluent French and has plenty of friends and family in France. I don’t know why money has been brought into this in the first place, but I can assure you that for both Ian personally and his family, money is not the slightest bit of a problem. I don’t know anyone that wouldn’t choose a cheaper day to fly over another day when it’s literally going to be the same thing either way.
 
ihaou
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:52 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
More like the abundance of unbundled fares. What did people expect when aviation became yet another form of mass transport.


There have been incidents involving uncouth drunks for decades before unbundled fares. This 21 year old man perhaps is not aware of the fact that high cabin altitudes in flight increase the effects of alcohol. It's a bad idea to be intoxicated on a plane, but getting a head start on drinking at an airport terminal bar or drinking before arriving at the airport can cause people to get drunker than they intended onboard.


I can assure you that alcohol was not involved in this. Why hasn’t anyone brought up that sometimes people just get sick on planes? There’s literally a bard bag in every seat.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7327
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 am

The guy was seated in Y and the disturbance took place before any such service would have taken place in Y. It happened very shortly into the flight, again 40 minutes after takeoff when they diverted.

If you add up the time in-flight, taxing on the ground, boarding this guy if he was drinking heavily hadn’t had a drink in 60-90+ minutes and by that time would like just pass out. Sounds like a bad mix of some type of hallucinatic drugs possibly with some alcohol taken on the ground in the airport.
 
SDFguy
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:23 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:08 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Blerg wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Rough day for the flight attendant and passengers. Why do some people have to become animals when they fly. Is it drugs and alcohol?


More like the abundance of unbundled fares. What did people expect when aviation became yet another form of mass transport.


Yep, someone posted the performance stats here a few weeks ago and IND is the worst performing DL flight to CDG. I'm guessing they are really having to discount the seats.


Not surprising. The only reason the flight exists is because of massive taxpayer subsidies from Indiana. Whenever the subsidy runs out, the flight will be gone.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:14 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
The guy was seated in Y and the disturbance took place before any such service would have taken place in Y. It happened very shortly into the flight, again 40 minutes after takeoff when they diverted.

If you add up the time in-flight, taxing on the ground, boarding this guy if he was drinking heavily hadn’t had a drink in 60-90+ minutes and by that time would like just pass out. Sounds like a bad mix of some type of hallucinatic drugs possibly with some alcohol taken on the ground in the airport.


Since when did hallucinogens cause aggressive behavior and vomitting, with the exception of some things used by some isolated cultures in religious rituals that cause paranoid delusions? If the dude wasn't drunk it's more likely he's mentally ill.
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:44 am

SDFguy wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Blerg wrote:

More like the abundance of unbundled fares. What did people expect when aviation became yet another form of mass transport.


Yep, someone posted the performance stats here a few weeks ago and IND is the worst performing DL flight to CDG. I'm guessing they are really having to discount the seats.


Not surprising. The only reason the flight exists is because of massive taxpayer subsidies from Indiana. Whenever the subsidy runs out, the flight will be gone.


Other cities with this kind of TATL service give out temporary subsidies too. Do you have any evidence (like LF/yield data) to suggest it will go away once the subsidy runs out?
 
clrd4t8koff
Topic Author
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:54 am

Fargo wrote:
SDFguy wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Yep, someone posted the performance stats here a few weeks ago and IND is the worst performing DL flight to CDG. I'm guessing they are really having to discount the seats.


Not surprising. The only reason the flight exists is because of massive taxpayer subsidies from Indiana. Whenever the subsidy runs out, the flight will be gone.


Other cities with this kind of TATL service give out temporary subsidies too. Do you have any evidence (like LF/yield data) to suggest it will go away once the subsidy runs out?


Isn’t that exactly what DL did to PIT with the PIT-CDG flights. Subsidies ran out, BA announced service and poof - bye bye DL.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7939
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:23 am

For all the snobs who think that having regular people on the plane demeans their flying experience, and who think that coach travel in the old days was a delightful yet modest party, let me just point out that the guy who took a drunken dump on a catering cart in the aisle of a United flight was a wealthy Wall Streeter who was dressed very fashionably. Those regular folks are also the kind of people you want sitting next to you if there's actually any kind of a problem.
 
User avatar
zackary747
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:12 am

Fargo wrote:
SDFguy wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Yep, someone posted the performance stats here a few weeks ago and IND is the worst performing DL flight to CDG. I'm guessing they are really having to discount the seats.


Not surprising. The only reason the flight exists is because of massive taxpayer subsidies from Indiana. Whenever the subsidy runs out, the flight will be gone.


Other cities with this kind of TATL service give out temporary subsidies too. Do you have any evidence (like LF/yield data) to suggest it will go away once the subsidy runs out?


If IND-CDG was performing so badly as you claim (which its not) they would of never added an extra frequency for September. The flight is performing to expectations.... Gotta love anet making claims with no proof/facts to back it up. Delta would never add a frequency on an underperforming TATL flight from a mid sized city. I doubt the flight goes anywhere anytime soon.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/73896-one- ... lying-high
Last edited by zackary747 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr
 
clrd4t8koff
Topic Author
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:14 am

TW870 wrote:
This thread is so depressing. Everyone is so busy lobbing insults that no one has actually posted a decent theory for why they had the 12-hour delay in Detroit.

Also, as the link the OP posted says, the guy is from Carmel. That is the wealthiest suburb of Indianapolis. Community median income is $110K (in a region where wages are lower than average). This 21-year old traipsing off to Paris for the summer is most likely quite well-to-do.

http://money.com/money/collection/2018- ... indiana-2/


I agree all the insults are depressing.

As far as the delay - it was mentioned earlier that the late DTW-LHR was heavily delayed due to mx, so when this flight diverted they took the plane and sent it to LHR instead, which caused the overnight for the IND-CDG passengers. Between the abusive passenger and the delay those other passengers really got screwed.
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:13 am

zackary747 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
SDFguy wrote:

Not surprising. The only reason the flight exists is because of massive taxpayer subsidies from Indiana. Whenever the subsidy runs out, the flight will be gone.


Other cities with this kind of TATL service give out temporary subsidies too. Do you have any evidence (like LF/yield data) to suggest it will go away once the subsidy runs out?


If IND-CDG was performing so badly as you claim (which its not) they would of never added an extra frequency for September. The flight is performing to expectations.... Gotta love anet making claims with no proof/facts to back it up. Delta would never add a frequency on an underperforming TATL flight from a mid sized city. I doubt the flight goes anywhere anytime soon.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/73896-one- ... lying-high


I wasn’t claiming IND-CDG was doing bad, I was just challenging SDFguy’s assertion it was.
 
Ryga
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:26 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:22 pm

mattyfitzg wrote:
Is this not an everyday occurence on UK Charter flights???

It's big news, yes, however, get on any Thomas Cook/TUI/Easyjet or Ryanair flight to Turkey, Ibiza or certain Greek Islands and this is something the crew have almost accepted as part of the day-to-day job.


You don’t fly often do you?
 
kavok
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:30 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
TW870 wrote:
This thread is so depressing. Everyone is so busy lobbing insults that no one has actually posted a decent theory for why they had the 12-hour delay in Detroit.

Also, as the link the OP posted says, the guy is from Carmel. That is the wealthiest suburb of Indianapolis. Community median income is $110K (in a region where wages are lower than average). This 21-year old traipsing off to Paris for the summer is most likely quite well-to-do.

http://money.com/money/collection/2018- ... indiana-2/


I agree all the insults are depressing.

As far as the delay - it was mentioned earlier that the late DTW-LHR was heavily delayed due to mx, so when this flight diverted they took the plane and sent it to LHR instead, which caused the overnight for the IND-CDG passengers. Between the abusive passenger and the delay those other passengers really got screwed.


At the time (when the decision was made to divert the plane from upstate NY to DTW), DL ops probably didn’t know the full extent of the situation. They didn’t know how long the police interrogations was going to take, and whether those interrogations were going to involve a significant number of the pax as well. And of course DL was going to need at least once replacement flight attendant for the person who was injured. So lots of unknowns on how long before a significant number of the pax and plane would be able to get airborne again.

Meanwhile, you have a LHR flight with crew that is ready to go in DTW. Give them the working plane, and cut your losses with IND-CDG. Point being, the IND-CDG pax could have been grounded by law enforcement for 1 hour, 2 hours, or 10 hours... DL didn’t know. But if you are down a bird with mx issues, that is the bird to pair with the flight at that point.
 
mattyfitzg
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:50 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Ryga wrote:
mattyfitzg wrote:
Is this not an everyday occurence on UK Charter flights???

It's big news, yes, however, get on any Thomas Cook/TUI/Easyjet or Ryanair flight to Turkey, Ibiza or certain Greek Islands and this is something the crew have almost accepted as part of the day-to-day job.


You don’t fly often do you?


As a matter of fact, yes, very often actually. But thanks for the patronising comment anyway.
My comment was more based on the number of disruptive pax incidents that happen on those types of flights on a weekly, sometimes daily basis especially over the summer season.
 
IADCA
Posts: 1869
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Blerg wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Do you have any actual source to back that claim up? Somehow I have a hard time believing it.


You have rose-tinted glasses about what flying used to be like.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3022215/wha ... -of-travel

You can also read the much-recommended book “Hard Landing” for excerpts relating to the experience of air travel in the regulation era.


Actually, the article you shared kind of proves what I was saying earlier:

'The good news is such drinking did not tend to get violent: because there were far fewer passengers, the crowding that contributes to the alcoholic air rage of today didn’t really exist. But that doesn’t mean that people didn’t pull out all the other stops on drunken behavior, such as stumbling down the aisle, molesting stewardesses, singing loudly, and–of course–profusely vomiting.'

People were drunk but not violent, accidents happened due to alcohol but it wasn't anything too serious unlike today: because there were far fewer passengers, the crowding that contributes to the alcoholic air rage of today didn’t really exist.


It's sorta a matter of opinion, but I'd rather get punched once or twice by most people than puked on by an adult or listen to them drunkenly sing for any significant amount of time. The molesting other people bit sorta goes without saying as to severity.

ihaou wrote:
I’ve personally know this guy for a long time. It realllly frustrates me how the news blows incidents so far out of proportion. He was not drunk. He’s actually a French citizen, flys to France several times a year for extended periods. Speaks perfectly fluent French and has plenty of friends and family in France. I don’t know why money has been brought into this in the first place, but I can assure you that for both Ian personally and his family, money is not the slightest bit of a problem. I don’t know anyone that wouldn’t choose a cheaper day to fly over another day when it’s literally going to be the same thing either way.


I don't get the money thing either, but you're not helping the guy out too much with the stuff above. Most of that is irrelevant (I don't care that he speaks French; so do I, and I manage to fly 100,000 miles a year without slapping flight attendants) and it doesn't address the chief concern here. If he wasn't drunk, then why the hell did he engage in actions that were those of a stereotypical drunken jerk?
Last edited by IADCA on Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
twicearound
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:36 pm

ihaou wrote:
I’ve personally know this guy for a long time. It realllly frustrates me how the news blows incidents so far out of proportion. He was not drunk. He’s actually a French citizen, flys to France several times a year for extended periods. Speaks perfectly fluent French and has plenty of friends and family in France. I don’t know why money has been brought into this in the first place, but I can assure you that for both Ian personally and his family, money is not the slightest bit of a problem. I don’t know anyone that wouldn’t choose a cheaper day to fly over another day when it’s literally going to be the same thing either way.


Who cares?
You're glossing over the main point here. He assaulted a member of the flight crew which is a federal felony. If convicted he faces up to 20 years in prison. It doesn't matter the reasons or who he is. Your whole ramble amounts to a hill of beans when looking at his actions.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5873
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Jouhou wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
The guy was seated in Y and the disturbance took place before any such service would have taken place in Y. It happened very shortly into the flight, again 40 minutes after takeoff when they diverted.

If you add up the time in-flight, taxing on the ground, boarding this guy if he was drinking heavily hadn’t had a drink in 60-90+ minutes and by that time would like just pass out. Sounds like a bad mix of some type of hallucinatic drugs possibly with some alcohol taken on the ground in the airport.


Since when did hallucinogens cause aggressive behavior and vomitting, with the exception of some things used by some isolated cultures in religious rituals that cause paranoid delusions? If the dude wasn't drunk it's more likely he's mentally ill.


Umm...really??? Vomiting is extremely common with Mushrooms. Aggressive behavior is very common with PCP. LSD can certainly make a person aggressive too. I don’t think Acid causes vomiting though.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:44 pm

sw733 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Rough day for the flight attendant and passengers. Why do some people have to become animals when they fly. Is it drugs and alcohol?


More like the abundance of unbundled fares. What did people expect when aviation became yet another form of mass transport.


Yeah it really stinks that more people then ever can visit family and see the world.


Abd pollute the planet in an irretrievable way.
 
Ryga
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:26 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 pm

mattyfitzg wrote:
Ryga wrote:
mattyfitzg wrote:
Is this not an everyday occurence on UK Charter flights???

It's big news, yes, however, get on any Thomas Cook/TUI/Easyjet or Ryanair flight to Turkey, Ibiza or certain Greek Islands and this is something the crew have almost accepted as part of the day-to-day job.


You don’t fly often do you?


As a matter of fact, yes, very often actually. But thanks for the patronising comment anyway.
My comment was more based on the number of disruptive pax incidents that happen on those types of flights on a weekly, sometimes daily basis especially over the summer season.


No you applied an opinion, to a certain type of stigma some of these airlines receive... When in fact they receive no more or less than what a carrier like BA or Virgin receive.
 
N649DL
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:19 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
The guy was seated in Y and the disturbance took place before any such service would have taken place in Y. It happened very shortly into the flight, again 40 minutes after takeoff when they diverted.

If you add up the time in-flight, taxing on the ground, boarding this guy if he was drinking heavily hadn’t had a drink in 60-90+ minutes and by that time would like just pass out. Sounds like a bad mix of some type of hallucinatic drugs possibly with some alcohol taken on the ground in the airport.


Since when did hallucinogens cause aggressive behavior and vomitting, with the exception of some things used by some isolated cultures in religious rituals that cause paranoid delusions? If the dude wasn't drunk it's more likely he's mentally ill.


Umm...really??? Vomiting is extremely common with Mushrooms. Aggressive behavior is very common with PCP. LSD can certainly make a person aggressive too. I don’t think Acid causes vomiting though.


Mushrooms cause erratic behavior upon consumption. Anything from vomiting, to panicking, to complete relaxation.

Another lowbrow drug that will definitely cause vomiting is DSM (AKA: "Robotripping") which is drinking an excessive amount of Robitussin. DSM pills are available too and make people act nuts.
 
jfern022
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:45 pm

Was mushrooms. Pax stated so himself on aircraft.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5873
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 pm

jfern022 wrote:
Was mushrooms. Pax stated so himself on aircraft.


That would make more sense. Vomiting is very much a part of doing mushrooms.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
IADCA
Posts: 1869
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:14 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
jfern022 wrote:
Was mushrooms. Pax stated so himself on aircraft.


That would make more sense. Vomiting is very much a part of doing mushrooms.


Bad time to have a bad trip, though, and it seems like a tube full of 200 strangers isn't the ideal setting for a pleasant one, either.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5873
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:38 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
IADCA wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
jfern022 wrote:
Was mushrooms. Pax stated so himself on aircraft.


That would make more sense. Vomiting is very much a part of doing mushrooms.


Bad time to have a bad trip, though, and it seems like a tube full of 200 strangers isn't the ideal setting for a pleasant one, either.


What kind of moron goes on a trip before flying????
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:22 pm

TW870 wrote:
This thread is so depressing. Everyone is so busy lobbing insults that no one has actually posted a decent theory for why they had the 12-hour delay in Detroit.


Sheer incompetence. No reason for anyone to go above and beyond for the passengers.

TW870 wrote:
Also, as the link the OP posted says, the guy is from Carmel. That is the wealthiest suburb of Indianapolis. Community median income is $110K (in a region where wages are lower than average). This 21-year old traipsing off to Paris for the summer is most likely quite well-to-do.


I wouldn't necessarily call $110k a high income but he's 21. I think you mean his parents are most likely "quite well-to-do", not him. That's a big difference.
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:50 pm

IPFreely wrote:
TW870 wrote:
This thread is so depressing. Everyone is so busy lobbing insults that no one has actually posted a decent theory for why they had the 12-hour delay in Detroit.
Sheer incompetence. No reason for anyone to go above and beyond for the passengers.

I guess this:
BTV290 wrote:
A lot of times, after a violent incident like that, the crew involved need to be questioned, and they'll often pull the entire crew off the rotation. Even if it is a base, at that hour of evening, the standby crew pool might have been so depleted, it was impossible to re-crew for a departure that evening.
Likely they had to deplane everyone, biohazard clean parts of the aircraft, etc. Disappointing it wasn't able to continue, but also not surprising.

And this:
kavok wrote:
At the time (when the decision was made to divert the plane from upstate NY to DTW), DL ops probably didn’t know the full extent of the situation. They didn’t know how long the police interrogations was going to take, and whether those interrogations were going to involve a significant number of the pax as well. And of course DL was going to need at least once replacement flight attendant for the person who was injured. So lots of unknowns on how long before a significant number of the pax and plane would be able to get airborne again.

Meanwhile, you have a LHR flight with crew that is ready to go in DTW. Give them the working plane, and cut your losses with IND-CDG. Point being, the IND-CDG pax could have been grounded by law enforcement for 1 hour, 2 hours, or 10 hours... DL didn’t know. But if you are down a bird with mx issues, that is the bird to pair with the flight at that point.

Wasn't good enough of a theory for you?
Captain Kevin
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:09 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
IADCA wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

That would make more sense. Vomiting is very much a part of doing mushrooms.


Bad time to have a bad trip, though, and it seems like a tube full of 200 strangers isn't the ideal setting for a pleasant one, either.


What kind of moron goes on a trip before flying????


The kind of moron who gets aggressive while on shrooms, apparently. Usually when I see someone having a bad trip it involves them in fetal position, sobbing.
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:25 am

I think this guys last name is spelled incorrectly. It should be Moron.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
bravotango75
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:56 am

So, Delta is flying from Indy to Paris........Why? Talk about a weird route
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 am

IPFreely wrote:
TW870 wrote:
Also, as the link the OP posted says, the guy is from Carmel. That is the wealthiest suburb of Indianapolis. Community median income is $110K (in a region where wages are lower than average). This 21-year old traipsing off to Paris for the summer is most likely quite well-to-do.


I wouldn't necessarily call $110k a high income but he's 21. I think you mean his parents are most likely "quite well-to-do", not him. That's a big difference.


$110k MEDIAN income is very high.
61k for the US
71k for state of California
82k for Greater Seattle/Tacoma metro area

obviously, you can find much higher the more specific you want to get, but the point is made that pax is from a recognizably affluent section of town, indirectly responding to the earlier, ridiculous notion that "unbundled fares" have increased ugly behaviour by the great unwashed masses who've been allowed to fly.
His money/parents money doesn't matter at all in context.
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:18 am

jfern022 wrote:
Was mushrooms. Pax stated so himself on aircraft.


source of this information? I could not find.
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 am

bravotango75 wrote:
So, Delta is flying from Indy to Paris........Why? Talk about a weird route


Ummmm... because there's a city/region not served by others TATL, who will spend money with DL to fly to Paris (and beyond with AF connections)?
You are aware that DL has shown themselves pretty adept at making money, no?
 
bravotango75
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:46 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
So, Delta is flying from Indy to Paris........Why? Talk about a weird route


Ummmm... because there's a city/region not served by others TATL, who will spend money with DL to fly to Paris (and beyond with AF connections)?
You are aware that DL has shown themselves pretty adept at making money, no?

Hummm....I just thought it odd that a small city like Indianapolis would have such a service, no need to take offense.
 
kiowa
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:18 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
jfern022 wrote:
Was mushrooms. Pax stated so himself on aircraft.


source of this information? I could not find.


Pax seems like a reliable source:)
 
SDFguy
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:23 am

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:18 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
So, Delta is flying from Indy to Paris........Why? Talk about a weird route


An airline will fly anywhere a city wants them to as long as they throw enough money at the airline.
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:20 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
So, Delta is flying from Indy to Paris........Why? Talk about a weird route


Ummmm... because there's a city/region not served by others TATL, who will spend money with DL to fly to Paris (and beyond with AF connections)?
You are aware that DL has shown themselves pretty adept at making money, no?

Hummm....I just thought it odd that a small city like Indianapolis would have such a service, no need to take offense.


Not offended in the least, and don't mean to offend, either.
Indianapolis is a metro area of 2 million persons (which I wouldn't call "small"), and is fairly isolated, giving it pretty large "catchment" area.
This is precisely the kind of market that can support fare premiums for otherwise unavailable non-stop/1stop services.
Despite a.net wisdom that nobody spends a shiny penny more than needed, I see lots of people (myself included) willing to pay a fair bit more to avoid connections.
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:22 pm

kiowa wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
jfern022 wrote:
Was mushrooms. Pax stated so himself on aircraft.


source of this information? I could not find.


Pax seems like a reliable source:)


where was it reported that Pax admitted use? I did not see it in the media article (did I miss?). Or were you or fern022 on the flight?
 
jfern022
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: passenger hits flight attendant, then pukes during Delta flight from IND to CDG

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:56 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
kiowa wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

source of this information? I could not find.


Pax seems like a reliable source:)


where was it reported that Pax admitted use? I did not see it in the media article (did I miss?). Or were you or fern022 on the flight?


Wasn’t reported to the media.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos