BrianDromey

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Boeing News and Orders Thread

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:07 pm

Good news for Boeing, they needed some orders for the 737, but is this a done deal? The wording says "Would consider the 737 MAX as part of diversifying its future fleet and to spur competition". Why are there no renders or models of the 737 in an IAG group livery?

IAG already has 200+ A320neo family on order. Certainly they are large-enough and with in-house technical ability to operate and maintain the 737 - I don't think they do any external MRO work though. Interesting that they might send the 737 to LGW - they retired their last -400 in 2015.
Last edited by BrianDromey on Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amiga500

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:08 pm

Brilliant work by Boeing - I doff my cap to them.

[and a real shot in the arm for the program when considering if any smaller airlines held doubts about the MAX but didn't have the capability to fully evaluate to a confident level]

flee

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:10 pm

kaitak wrote:
Great (and very surprising news); I am wondering which airlines in the IAG group will operate it. BA has pretty much committed to the Neo; IB is an Airbus carrier; Vueling likewise; I can't see EI operating short haul Boeings in the near or medium term (though they need to renew their short haul fleet). While it's a much needed confidence boost for the Max, I am very curious to see what use IAG puts the Max to.
According to the Boeing PR, " IAG CEO Willie Walsh has said the group would consider the 737 MAX as part of diversifying its future fleet to spur competition." - so this is probably a warning to Airbus!

See: https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2019-06-18 ... -Airplanes

StTim

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:11 pm

It is a LoI so not yet firm. I bet WW has secured some smoking hot pricing.

Lewton

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:14 pm

kaitak wrote:
Great (and very surprising news); I am wondering which airlines in the IAG group will operate it. BA has pretty much committed to the Neo; IB is an Airbus carrier; Vueling likewise; I can't see EI operating short haul Boeings in the near or medium term (though they need to renew their short haul fleet). While it's a much needed confidence boost for the Max, I am very curious to see what use IAG puts the Max to.

I am sure that at least one of the airlines you mentioned in this post will operate it.
Otherwise the group would not have ordered it, doesn't it make sense?
Additionally LEVEL, probably.

YellowJ

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:17 pm

kaitak wrote:

I could see most of them ending up with BA to be fair. They operated Classics/Ceo's in harmony before. Would allow them to grow/streamline a few bases. Precluding a future NMA order if it's launched, the -10 could also be used at LHR for capacity.

seansasLCY

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Lewton wrote:
kaitak wrote:

I am sure that at least one of the airlines you mentioned in this post will operate it.

Willie Walsh is quoted as saying they will be used for Level, Vueling and BA (LGW).
https://twitter.com/airwaysmagazine/sta ... 3304751106

9Patch

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:21 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
MrBren wrote:
Buy 1 get 1 free?

That’s pretty much how it works with NB’s already.

Especially when ordering 200 at a time.

JetBuddy

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:23 pm

fcogafa wrote:
Who saw that coming?

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/news/m ... -8-B737-10

IAG SIGNS LETTER OF INTENT FOR 200 BOEING 737-8 AND 737-10
International Airlines Group (IAG) has signed a letter of intent with Boeing for 200 B737 aircraft to join its fleet. The LOI is subject to formal agreement.
The mix of 737-8 and 737-10 aircraft would be delivered between 2023 and 2027 and would be powered by CFM Leap engines. It is anticipated that the aircraft would be used by a number of the Group's airlines including Vueling, LEVEL plus British Airways at London Gatwick airport.
Willie Walsh, IAG chief executive, said: "We're very pleased to sign this letter of intent with Boeing and are certain that these aircraft will be a great addition to IAG's shorthaul fleet.
"We have every confidence in Boeing and expect that the aircraft will make a successful return to service in the coming months having received approval from the regulators".

The return of 737 to British Airways. That's pretty cool.

Interestingly, there's no mention of "MAX" anywhere. The name is poisoned.

I'm wondering what kind of pricing and clauses are in this contract.

Elshad

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:23 pm

I suppose it makes sense for BA to use them at Gatwick as they used to operate the -400 from there to places like Morocco. They should shift all current Gatwick A320s to Heathrow to simplify things e.g. Heathrow all A319/320/321 and Gatwick all 737

ikolkyo

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Wow what an order for the MAX, real nice win for Boeing there.

talonone

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:29 pm

So, BAW gets to do maintenance over the 777x and WW pull out of the hat, a LOI to push Boeing CEO. What a joke!
Al IAG NB is 99% Airbus. See IB, Level, British, Vueling, Air Lingus.
The space and human stupidity are endless. Maybe the space is not... but the human stupidity for sure!

StTim

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:31 pm

Don't see the MAX at Heatrow as the baggage system at T5 is based on containers.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:32 pm

StTim wrote:
Don't see the MAX at Heatrow as the baggage system at T5 is based on containers.

They seem pretty clear that they’d be LGW birds, so I agree.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

AirbusA6

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:33 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
Lewton wrote:
kaitak wrote:

Willie Walsh is quoted as saying they will be used for Level, Vueling and BA (LGW).
https://twitter.com/airwaysmagazine/sta ... 3304751106

How many A320 types do BA currently operate out of LGW? It's not a massive number which suggests most will go to Vueling - massive growth or replacement of A320ceos?
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

Sooner787

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:40 pm

Sure this will be a huge morale boost for the Boeing employees in RNT and elsewhere
who have been living and breathing this Max crisis since the groundings started in March.

Hell, I figured if Boeing got thru this week without any big embarrassing Max cancellations,
it would be a win of sorts :)

kengo

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:41 pm

Even if it's only an LOI, like most orders so far announced at PAS19, this is a big surprise announcement. It is a win-win deal for both BA and BA.

clipperlondon

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:45 pm

kaitak wrote:

I'd be curious to see them used at all. Are we sure this is real...? In the light of Boeing's current travails? Only askin :stirthepot:

skipness1E

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Isn't this more likely going to be a large club to batter Airbus over the head with on pricing new A320 NEOs? Air Canada went with the MAX on price and is regretting it enormously already. For BA LHR and LGW to go back to flying completely different fleets makes no sense unless perhaps the BA LGW fleet was going onto a different AOC with mainteneance going elsewhere. I can't see the logic in IAG flying both the NEO and the MAX, especially given how well the NEO works at EI and BA. We shall see

SevenNineSeven

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:51 pm

clipperlondon wrote:
kaitak wrote:

I'd be curious to see them used at all. Are we sure this is real...? In the light of Boeing's current travails? Only askin :stirthepot:

No, Boeing fabricated it and photoshopped WW into the announcement picture. I'm sorry this news is so upsetting to you.

YellowJ

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:57 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Isn't this more likely going to be a large club to batter Airbus over the head with on pricing new A320 NEOs? Air Canada went with the MAX on price and is regretting it enormously already. For BA LHR and LGW to go back to flying completely different fleets makes no sense unless perhaps the BA LGW fleet was going onto a different AOC with mainteneance going elsewhere. I can't see the logic in IAG flying both the NEO and the MAX, especially given how well the NEO works at EI and BA. We shall see

Show me a public statement from Air Canada about any "regret" over the decision to purchase the MAX. :scratchchin:

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:59 pm

skipness1E wrote:

I’m at a loss. So IAG must have a single fleet type across all members and hubs? Somebody please get AFKL, AA, QF/JQ, et al on the line and tell them they don’t know what they’re doing.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:01 pm

YellowJ wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

Show me a public statement from Air Canada about any "regret" over the decision to purchase the MAX. :scratchchin:

It’s irrelevant. What Air Canada experiences has zero to do with the industry as a whole. If LHG wants to be single-source NB and IAG wants to be dual source, it shouldn’t matter. There’s some sort of double standard when it comes to the 737 and A320.
-Dave

ei737ng

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:04 pm

skipness1E wrote:

EI don’t operate the NEO they only have CEO at the moment but are due to receive their first A321LR in the very new future.

Polot

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:08 pm

ei737ng wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

EI don’t operate the NEO they only have CEO at the moment but are due to receive their first A321LR in the very new future.

I don’t see EI or IB operating the Max, their narrowbody fleet is too small so it doesn’t make a lot of sense to split it. BA and Vueling are large enough to split, and Level can grow with Maxes.

ctrabs0114

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 pm

FlyRow wrote:
^^
Would be very surprised since they have invested in the neo already.

It's possible that IAG sees different missions for the MAX (ie. BA domestic/Level or Veuling continental service) compared to the 321neo/XLR (IB/EI TATL service).
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

runway23

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:13 pm

The press release has some of the loosest wording I've ever seen in a Paris air show release. The order really seems very conditional at this point. Who knows subject to what conditions and if it isn't a ploy to get airbus to lower or match their prices on what will remain to be replaced.

Slash787

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:13 pm

Congrats to Boeing, but well this is a big surprise. I am sure they got a really good deal, but if BA is going to replace the older A320's with the MAX, wouldn't the pilots would have to get a new type rating? like that costs money and time. Wouldn't the transition be much faster and cheaper if they ordered the Neo?

OA940

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:15 pm

BA will certainly get some, I assume there will be enough to grow Level substantially. Why Vueling though? They are an LCC and already fly neos. It would be a pretty unique approach to operate both of them. EI will probably use the MAX 8s to replace the A320s. But I wonder if IB will get any, considering it's already pretty well-grown and is currently taking neos (unless they plan to reinstate the BCN hub, even though that would interfere with Vueling ops).

Do we know if they are happy with the A320/neos? This is a very interesting order.
A350/CSeries = bae

gatibosgru

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Def did not see this coming! 737s at Vueling and Level make no sense to me but I'm not a CEO so... Congrats Boeing!
@DadCelo

Polot

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:18 pm

OA940 wrote:
BA will certainly get some, I assume there will be enough to grow Level substantially. Why Vueling though? They are an LCC and already fly neos. It would be a pretty unique approach to operate both of them. EI will probably use the MAX 8s to replace the A320s. But I wonder if IB will get any, considering it's already pretty well-grown and is currently taking neos (unless they plan to reinstate the BCN hub, even though that would interfere with Vueling ops).

Do we know if they are happy with the A320/neos? This is a very interesting order.

I would not be surprised if long term Vueling and Level are merged, at least behind the scenes as much as possible with maybe different branding for different markets.

trpmb6

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:34 pm

OA940 wrote:

A low cost carrier operating an aircraft they got at half price seems like a good deal to me.

tistpaa727

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:39 pm

runway23 wrote:
The press release has some of the loosest wording I've ever seen in a Paris air show release. The order really seems very conditional at this point. Who knows subject to what conditions and if it isn't a ploy to get airbus to lower or match their prices on what will remain to be replaced.

This is exactly the way I would expect such a release to be written considering the aircraft is currently grounded. I expect nothing will materialize until the MAX is back in the air and certified by all of the key regulatory agencies.
Don't sweat the little things.

by738

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:44 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Isn't this more likely going to be a large club to batter Airbus over the head with on pricing new A320 NEOs?

I don't think a major airshow physical announcement (LOI or otherwise) would be in keeping with that... its not WW style.

nikeherc

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:44 pm

A couple of quick points. The photo of the press release clearly shows 737MAX. This is a letter of intent. While they certainly can fall through, LOIs are not issued as bargaining chips. Give it a rest, people. The MAX will continue to fly and also to sell. Boeing is not going to go out of business. Any issues with the GE9x will be resolved, The A330-900 is not going to displace the 787 in the market place. Get a life.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

seabosdca

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:46 pm

Well, that tells us Boeing won't be afraid to play pricing hardball.

The MAX 10 is an attractive product for European routes, though. Pretty much its only advantage over the A321 will be lower empty weight, and it will be at its best on 1-2 hour hops. This could be a pretty good deal for everyone.

Slash787 wrote:
Congrats to Boeing, but well this is a big surprise. I am sure they got a really good deal, but if BA is going to replace the older A320's with the MAX, wouldn't the pilots would have to get a new type rating? like that costs money and time. Wouldn't the transition be much faster and cheaper if they ordered the Neo?

Cheap prices on airframes can pay for an awful lot of pilot training.

Momo1435

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:51 pm

This is a surprising announcement indeed. The timing, the customer, the size, everything about it shouts that it was announced to give the 737 a confidence boost, a sign of approval by a large European airline group.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:55 pm

by738 wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
Isn't this more likely going to be a large club to batter Airbus over the head with on pricing new A320 NEOs?

I don't think a major airshow physical announcement (LOI or otherwise) would be in keeping with that... its not WW style.

I’m trying to keep up with the logic on here. So according to some, Boeing is essentially hugely discounting/giving away for free/paying BA to take them - and Airbus is gonna do better than that?

I think there is some serious rationalizing and contorting going on to both make sense of this deal and to be able to still have it be about Airbus.

IMHO, this is just really good timing and the aligning of a few key stars: The MAX grounding, IAG ready to order some narrowbodies for its non-premium operations, and Boeing willing to make it worth BA’s while to announce it publicly now vs later. It’s 200 planes - that is already gonna get a massive discount. Throw in the MAX grounding, the air show vote of confidence, and the opportunity to get their nose back under the curtain at IAG with the 737 and it all makes sense.
-Dave

ELBOB

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:55 pm

kaitak wrote:
Great (and very surprising news)

I don't agree that it's great news; it pushes a clean-sheet narrow-body another half-decade away.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:59 pm

ELBOB wrote:
kaitak wrote:
Great (and very surprising news)

I don't agree that it's great news; it pushes a clean-sheet narrow-body another half-decade away.

Did you miss the part about the clean sheet NMA that they are working on? We can’t have everything. And they will need the income from the MAX to pay for both. No MAX sales = 2028-2030 before we see ANY clean sheet. Plus Boeing is then on the ropes, the three decade old A320 3.0 takes over, and then what?
-Dave

Channex757

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:02 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
Def did not see this coming! 737s at Vueling and Level make no sense to me but I'm not a CEO so... Congrats Boeing!

VY have a motley collection of A320 family planes with both engine types. It will allow them the chance to nail down some costs by only needing one engine type.

Plus Willie is a known 737 fan! He used to fly them for Aer Lingus and Futura. I'd trust his commercial judgment on this order as he knows the plane and what is coming down the pipeline regarding restart.

N1KE

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Great news for Boeing. Never say never in the world of aviation. Good for IAG and a show of faith in the MAX, which is just what Boeing needed, even if in subsequent times they change to a new model if launched by Boeing it will definitely give a feel good shot.

seabosdca

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:35 pm

IAG is not Emirates. The last couple of IAG LOIs have been firmed very quickly. While anything can happen in business, I don't think IAG would be placing this LOI if it didn't intend fully, regardless of Brexit issues, to take delivery of a whole bunch of MAXes. Nothing will get firmed until the MAX is again certified by all relevant agencies, and there are probably other conditions related to the grounding as well. But, yes, it appears that IAG wishes to replace quite a few A320ceos with MAXes.

lightsaber

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:44 pm

This is a Boeing thread for PAS.
Please stay on topic.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ikramerica

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:47 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
fcogafa wrote:
Who saw that coming?

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/news/m ... -8-B737-10

IAG SIGNS LETTER OF INTENT FOR 200 BOEING 737-8 AND 737-10
International Airlines Group (IAG) has signed a letter of intent with Boeing for 200 B737 aircraft to join its fleet. The LOI is subject to formal agreement.
The mix of 737-8 and 737-10 aircraft would be delivered between 2023 and 2027 and would be powered by CFM Leap engines. It is anticipated that the aircraft would be used by a number of the Group's airlines including Vueling, LEVEL plus British Airways at London Gatwick airport.
Willie Walsh, IAG chief executive, said: "We're very pleased to sign this letter of intent with Boeing and are certain that these aircraft will be a great addition to IAG's shorthaul fleet.
"We have every confidence in Boeing and expect that the aircraft will make a successful return to service in the coming months having received approval from the regulators".

If Boeing were smart they would officially drop the dumb MAX marketing.

Just call it -8, -9, -10, -200

Or maybe SpaceJet. That might be cool.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ITSTours

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:53 pm

Korean air orders 787-9 and 787-10 ten of each.

ikolkyo

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:53 pm

ikramerica wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
fcogafa wrote:

If Boeing were smart they would officially drop the dumb MAX marketing.

Just call it -8, -9, -10, -200

Or maybe SpaceJet. That might be cool.

Just like to remind you and others that the -200 name has been long dropped. It’s simply called High-Capacity MAX 8. Basically a MAX 8. Ryanair seems to enjoy the -200 name but Boeing has dropped it awhile ago.

by738

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:56 pm

ITSTours wrote:
Korean air orders 787-9 and 787-10 ten of each.

Think that was announced and discussed much earlier...

Checklist787

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:56 pm

rjmf22 wrote:
Nice addition for the 787 program. 20 787-10's and 10 additional 787-9's.

Congrats Boeing!

Checklist787

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:59 pm

talonone wrote:
So, BAW gets to do maintenance over the 777x and WW pull out of the hat, a LOI to push Boeing CEO. What a joke!
Al IAG NB is 99% Airbus. See IB, Level, British, Vueling, Air Lingus.

Congrats Boeing!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos