• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10
 
Draken21fx
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:38 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:00 am

N14AZ wrote:
Wow, this goes very fast this year.

In the past we usually had a list of press conferences by both OEM's. Can we establish something like this again? Or doesn't it work like this any longer?

Draken21fx wrote:
hibtastic wrote:
The A321XLR is going to a pretty compelling option for airlines. More space for baggage / cargo than the LR version too. Ideal aircraft for Icelandair I’d say.

In all seriousness now...expect a small order for XLR for Air Malta as well.

Air Malta? With all due respect, but for which flight would they need a XLR?


It has been extensively discussed in another thread.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/martinrivers/2019/02/13/air-malta-outlines-5-year-fleet-plan-including-a321xlr/#780e728e357a

Air Malta hopes to induct more than a dozen Airbus A320-family neos over the next five years, chief executive Clifford Chetcuti has revealed, with the yet-to-be-developed A321XLR among the airline’s targets.


My guess is that Malta Air (Ryanair venture in which the Maltese government has shares) will be picking up short haul flights.

Air Malta (which already operates an all Airbus fleet) will be picking up the mid/long haul flights with the addition of XLRs.
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 932
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:00 am

max999 wrote:
frigatebird wrote:
CHRISBA35X wrote:
Interesting one. What routes do they have that require the extra range of the XLR over an LR? Beirut to all of Europe and the Middle East no problem with a vanilla A321, LR maybe lifts a little more cargo.

XLR - where are they thinking? JFK, BKK, SIN, JNB is too far obviously so where do they want to fly it?

The XLR offers more range while sacrificing less cargo space compared to the LR (1 RCT for the XLR instead of 3 ACT for the LR). I don’t think we will see any more orders for the LR. Maybe the XLR will be a bit more expensive, but it will have a higher resale value as well.

I think it would make sense for Airbus to drop the LR model and offer the XLR only. If customers don't need all of the XLR's performance, Airbus can just sell a discounted and derated XLR model.

I think airlines will have an option to switch to the XLR. However, airlines that require immediate delivery will most likely stick to their orders as it is a long wait before the XLR is available,
 
User avatar
frigatebird
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 am

Lewton wrote:
frigatebird wrote:
B742 wrote:
VS Airbus order expected shortly, I would suspect A330neo.

EDIT - Now official 14 A330-900neo plus 6 options. Deliveries between 2021-24

A really good steal for Airbus - placing A330neos with an existing 787 customer. DIdn’t expect that ( yes I heard the rumors of the VS order).

How is it a steal if they are going to replace older A330?

Because the 787 is a natural A330 replacement, certainly for airlines already operating the 787.
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,333,343,345,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W,788 AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E75/90,F50/70
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1493
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:03 am

hibtastic wrote:
Lewton wrote:
frigatebird wrote:
A really good steal for Airbus - placing A330neos with an existing 787 customer. DIdn’t expect that ( yes I heard the rumors of the VS order).

How is it a steal if they are going to replace older A330?

Well they could have replaced them with 787s given they have them in the fleet already but they chose not to and ordered A330Neos. More to come for expansion potentially too. I’d say that was a win for Airbus.


Another interesting little bit about the decision

"Did the Delta A330neo experience matter?" Weiss says "Absolutely. 35,000 pax/month connect between DL and VS so commonality of service is part of the goal with the move".

https://twitter.com/WandrMe/status/1140558611074166786

Could we see an AF/KL order soon? :duck:
Last edited by gatibosgru on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DadCelo
 
TC957
Posts: 3424
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:04 am

Fab news about the VS A339 order confirmation. Looking forward to what new routes they will use them on.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 17124
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:04 am

Lewton wrote:
How is it a steal if they are going to replace older A330?


It doesn't matter what they're replacing, but it's somewhat surprising that an airline already operating 787s and with A350s on the way, decided to add a third widebody twin type rather than consolidate on the A350/787 combo. If they'd ordered more 787s rather than A330neos, everyone would have said "Oh, that was a no-brainer.", especially as the 787-10 is supposed to be such a Trans-Atlantic 'beast'.

Regardless, congrats to Virgin and Airbus.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
LifelinerOne
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:30 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:05 am

TheF15Ace wrote:
frigatebird wrote:
TheF15Ace wrote:

Looks like 8 firm with 6 options though? Or have I misread the press release?


There appears to be some confusion (not yours BTW). Multiple sources are reporting that it's 14+6 options so maybe it's: 8 firm orders+ 6 from ALC to be delivered along with the options for 6 more.


It is; 8 Airbus, 6 ALC and 6 more options with Airbus.

So, 14 definitely to be delivered from September 2021 until 2024 and maybe those 6 more when firmed.

Cheers!
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes
 
Flying-Tiger
Posts: 3986
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 1999 5:35 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:05 am

TheF15Ace wrote:
Virgin Atlantic orders 14 Airbus A330-900neos + 6 options

https://twitter.com/thatjohn/status/1140555271816785920

https://twitter.com/thatjohn/status/1140555780304900096

Image

edit: So according to the above it appears from the firm 14, 8 are direct orders and the other 6 are to be leased from ALC


If I´m not mistaken that means that at least half of ALC´s A330neo order book is now placed:

29 A330-900neo ordered 09.03.2015
-2 A330-900neo for Rwandair
-2 A330-900neo for Air Mauritius
-1 A330-900neo for HiFly (one or two?)
-4 A330-900neo for TAP
-6 A330-900neo for Virgin Atlantic

Did I miss any airline?
Flown: A319/320/321,A332/3,A343/346, A380,AT4,AT7,B732/3/4/5/7/8/9,B742/4,B762/763,B772/77W,CR2/7/9/K,ER3/4,E70/75/90/95, F50/70/100,M11,L15,SF3,S20, AR8/1, 142/143,...
 
User avatar
frigatebird
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:06 am

gatibosgru wrote:
hibtastic wrote:
Lewton wrote:
How is it a steal if they are going to replace older A330?

Well they could have replaced them with 787s given they have them in the fleet already but they chose not to and ordered A330Neos. More to come for expansion potentially too. I’d say that was a win for Airbus.


Another interesting little bit about the decision

"Did the Delta A330neo experience matter?" Weiss says "Absolutely. 35,000 pax/month connect between DL and VS so commonality of service is part of the goal with the move".

https://twitter.com/WandrMe/status/1140558611074166786

This indeed is quite interesting, thanks.
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,333,343,345,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W,788 AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E75/90,F50/70
 
Guillaume787
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:02 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:08 am

speedygonzales wrote:


Very exciting first day for Airbus at PAS19!

I'm wondering, shouldn't the A321XLR official launch have its own thread to discuss capabilities, changes, customers, etc?
 
AirwayBill
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:37 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:08 am

This is outstanding news for the A330neo program, stolen straight from what was seen as a natural win for Boeing.

Early delivery possibilities, minimal pilot training, great versatile platform for TATL,... I predict VS will look back on their decision with high satisfaction.

Also, the VS colours look amazing on it!
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1786
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:09 am

That's great to hear. Also the A330neo looks so hot in VS colours. Let's hope we see an airline order for the A220 now ;D
A350/CSeries = bae
 
TheF15Ace
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:12 am

LifelinerOne wrote:
TheF15Ace wrote:
frigatebird wrote:
Looks like 8 firm with 6 options though? Or have I misread the press release?


There appears to be some confusion (not yours BTW). Multiple sources are reporting that it's 14+6 options so maybe it's: 8 firm orders+ 6 from ALC to be delivered along with the options for 6 more.


It is; 8 Airbus, 6 ALC and 6 more options with Airbus.

So, 14 definitely to be delivered from September 2021 until 2024 and maybe those 6 more when firmed.

Cheers!


Thanks for the confirmation :bigthumbsup:
 
Max Q
Posts: 7486
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:22 am

The A321XLR sounds like it will have impressive performance and economics

A few questions come to mind:

Is there a planned increase in maximum thrust ?


The gross weight is now up over 220,000 pounds, that’s a lot of weight on four main wheels, any chance of going to eight on a redesigned main bogie to keep the pavement loading reasonable ?


I don’t read anything about aerodynamic enhancements or additional wing area, my impression is this aircraft will spend a lot of time bumping around at lower flight levels with this additional weight and a wing that hasn’t changed essentially since the original A321
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 17124
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:30 am

Max Q wrote:
The A321XLR sounds like it will have impressive performance and economics

A few questions come to mind:

Is there a planned increase in maximum thrust ?


The gross weight is now up over 220,000 pounds, that’s a lot of weight on four main wheels, any chance of going to eight on a redesigned main bogie to keep the pavement loading reasonable ?


I don’t read anything about aerodynamic enhancements or additional wing area, my impression is this aircraft will spend a lot of time bumping around at lower flight levels with this additional weight and a wing that hasn’t changed essentially since the original A321


All answered in the presser:
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... 21xlr.html
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
genovesemike9
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:05 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:55 am

N14AZ wrote:
Wow, this goes very fast this year.

In the past we usually had a list of press conferences by both OEM's. Can we establish something like this again? Or doesn't it work like this any longer?

Draken21fx wrote:
hibtastic wrote:
The A321XLR is going to a pretty compelling option for airlines. More space for baggage / cargo than the LR version too. Ideal aircraft for Icelandair I’d say.

In all seriousness now...expect a small order for XLR for Air Malta as well.

Air Malta? With all due respect, but for which flight would they need a XLR?


From what I heard is Air Malta is planning flights for Dubai and later on New York , but nothing official
 
Lewton
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:46 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:07 am

Have they clarified what the "modified landing gear" is?
 
Armadillo1
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:15 am

 
hitower3
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:55 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:19 am

Lewton wrote:
Have they clarified what the "modified landing gear" is?


I don't have any information suggesting a major re-design - like a "telescope-style" or double-bogey gear (as it was used on some early 320s for Air India). I suspect it's merely a reinforced version allowing to handle the increased MTOW, now standing at 101t (vs. up to 97t previously).
Hendric
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9277
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:20 am

Armadillo1 wrote:
https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/passenger-aircraft/a320-family/a321neo.html#a321xlr
what is a "water volume"?

The full volume that it can hold. This is different than the usable volume.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 3732
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:20 am

Lewton wrote:
Have they clarified what the "modified landing gear" is?

I would be interested to learn more about it as well.
 
Amiga500
Posts: 2137
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:22 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 am

Armadillo1 wrote:
https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/passenger-aircraft/a320-family/a321neo.html#a321xlr
what is a "water volume"?


If you were able to fill the cargo bay with water, that is how much water you'd fit in.

Bit of a strange way to put it - probably means there is a fair bit of space unusable that they don't want to highlight - but I'd have thought their new integral tank would have eliminated this.
 
hitower3
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:55 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 am

Armadillo1 wrote:
https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/passenger-aircraft/a320-family/a321neo.html#a321xlr
what is a "water volume"?


I read it as "if you would pour water into the cargo hold, you would need 59m³ to completely fill it". This indicates the gross volume of the hold.
 
DartHerald
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:08 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 am

I think that it is what you would get in the hold if you completely filled it with water - i.e. no wasted space whatsoever.
 
tomcat
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 4:14 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:22 am

Armadillo1 wrote:
https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/passenger-aircraft/a320-family/a321neo.html#a321xlr
what is a "water volume"?


That's the volume of water that could fit in a given space if it were to be filled with water (or any other liquid). It's a way to express the actual volume of a compartment. The usable volume by means of rigid items like containers is usually less than the actual volume, since there will always remain some voids between the rigid items and the boundaries of the compartment.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 3732
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:22 am

Armadillo1 wrote:
https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/passenger-aircraft/a320-family/a321neo.html#a321xlr
what is a "water volume"?

They need that water to transport all that fish... :duck: :duck: :duck:
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9277
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:24 am

Amiga500 wrote:
Armadillo1 wrote:
https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/passenger-aircraft/a320-family/a321neo.html#a321xlr
what is a "water volume"?


If you were able to fill the cargo bay with water, that is how much water you'd fit in.

Bit of a strange way to put it - probably means there is a fair bit of space unusable that they don't want to highlight - but I'd have thought their new integral tank would have eliminated this.

There is always a little bit of dead volume in fuel tanks, you can’t slurp up all the gas. Then cargo bin has unfilled and crannies. Neither bulk loading nor bins take up all the space. Things aren’t squeezed in there air tight.
 
sabby
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:50 am

I can see Finnair and SAS order some A321XLR for Asia routes.
 
User avatar
LaunchDetected
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:52 am

Lewton wrote:
Have they clarified what the "modified landing gear" is?


Reinforced MLG with single stage shock absorber, new wheels tires and brakes and a reinforced NLG (new forging manufacturing process) and a new actuator for retraction.

From what i heard from a well-informed source.
Caravelle lover
 
User avatar
Lilienthal
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Anything else planned for today?
 
Draken21fx
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:38 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Is Tony Fernandes getting ready to announce sth?
 
finnishway
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:16 pm

sabby wrote:
I can see Finnair and SAS order some A321XLR for Asia routes.


Finnair will most likely order A321XLR and they are interested in it, but not for their Asia routes.

Just a few weeks ago AY's CEO said in the Finnish media that using narrowbody aircraft on the routes to China for example is not smart thing to from business point of view. This is because Russian overfly rights cost are same for every aircraft despite the number of passengers. So why fly narrowbody and pay the same price, when you can fly widebody and in the case of Finnair probably fill even more seats than narrowbody can.

AY is looking A321XLR for example more flights to North America. Toronto and Boston are possibilities for this kind of routes.
 
User avatar
PolarRoute
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:23 pm

LaunchDetected wrote:
Reinforced MLG with single stage shock absorber, new wheels tires and brakes and a reinforced NLG (new forging manufacturing process) and a new actuator for retraction.

From what i heard from a well-informed source.


New tires? So does this give pavement loading some relief or is it just to withstand heavier loads?
 
User avatar
LaunchDetected
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:49 pm

PolarRoute wrote:
LaunchDetected wrote:
Reinforced MLG with single stage shock absorber, new wheels tires and brakes and a reinforced NLG (new forging manufacturing process) and a new actuator for retraction.

From what i heard from a well-informed source.


New tires? So does this give pavement loading some relief or is it just to withstand heavier loads?


It's to withstand heavier loads and speed (up to 235 mph, can't remember the current speed limit to compare).
Caravelle lover
 
LSZH34
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:55 pm

finnishway wrote:
sabby wrote:
I can see Finnair and SAS order some A321XLR for Asia routes.


Finnair will most likely order A321XLR and they are interested in it, but not for their Asia routes.

Just a few weeks ago AY's CEO said in the Finnish media that using narrowbody aircraft on the routes to China for example is not smart thing to from business point of view. This is because Russian overfly rights cost are same for every aircraft despite the number of passengers. So why fly narrowbody and pay the same price, when you can fly widebody and in the case of Finnair probably fill even more seats than narrowbody can.

AY is looking A321XLR for example more flights to North America. Toronto and Boston are possibilities for this kind of routes.


And maybe canaries. Up to 6.5 hrs flight time
 
pugman211
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Intrigued to see the modified trailing edge flap design that is to come out also. :scratchchin:
 
astuteman
Posts: 6840
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:50 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:02 pm

LSZH34 wrote:
finnishway wrote:
sabby wrote:
I can see Finnair and SAS order some A321XLR for Asia routes.


Finnair will most likely order A321XLR and they are interested in it, but not for their Asia routes.

Just a few weeks ago AY's CEO said in the Finnish media that using narrowbody aircraft on the routes to China for example is not smart thing to from business point of view. This is because Russian overfly rights cost are same for every aircraft despite the number of passengers. So why fly narrowbody and pay the same price, when you can fly widebody and in the case of Finnair probably fill even more seats than narrowbody can.

AY is looking A321XLR for example more flights to North America. Toronto and Boston are possibilities for this kind of routes.


And maybe canaries. Up to 6.5 hrs flight time


Spanair used to run an A321CEO (never mind NEO) in 212 seat configuration between Tromso and the Canaries
I don't think the XLR is required for Finnair to reach the Canaries.
Bog-standard NEO will do that just fine.

Rgds
 
User avatar
Finn350
Posts: 1552
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:15 pm

astuteman wrote:
LSZH34 wrote:
finnishway wrote:

Finnair will most likely order A321XLR and they are interested in it, but not for their Asia routes.

Just a few weeks ago AY's CEO said in the Finnish media that using narrowbody aircraft on the routes to China for example is not smart thing to from business point of view. This is because Russian overfly rights cost are same for every aircraft despite the number of passengers. So why fly narrowbody and pay the same price, when you can fly widebody and in the case of Finnair probably fill even more seats than narrowbody can.

AY is looking A321XLR for example more flights to North America. Toronto and Boston are possibilities for this kind of routes.


And maybe canaries. Up to 6.5 hrs flight time


Spanair used to run an A321CEO (never mind NEO) in 212 seat configuration between Tromso and the Canaries
I don't think the XLR is required for Finnair to reach the Canaries.
Bog-standard NEO will do that just fine.

Rgds


Finnair is currently flying to Canaries on an A321ceo with Winglets so definitely no A321XLR needed there.
 
gokmengs
Posts: 1161
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 pm

Congrats to Airbus for the orders and the launch of XLR, however is it me or the EIS for XLR is a bit longer than expected, usually variants for airbus takes shorter time to EIS, and we all knew they been working on this for a while we are looking at 3.5 years, thats a long time even for aviation. What do you guys think?
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa
 
musman9853
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:24 pm

How many a338 orders do you think there's gonna be? My bet is a handful at best, but I'd love to be wrong
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 17124
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:25 pm

gokmengs wrote:
Congrats to Airbus for the orders and the launch of XLR, however is it me or the EIS for XLR is a bit longer than expected, usually variants for airbus takes shorter time to EIS, and we all knew they been working on this for a while we are looking at 3.5 years, thats a long time even for aviation. What do you guys think?


I would imagine the timing is not accidental - probably optimised to reduce conversion of existing A321neo orders while being available before any NMA offering.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
Amiga500
Posts: 2137
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:22 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:27 pm

gokmengs wrote:
Congrats to Airbus for the orders and the launch of XLR, however is it me or the EIS for XLR is a bit longer than expected, usually variants for airbus takes shorter time to EIS, and we all knew they been working on this for a while we are looking at 3.5 years, thats a long time even for aviation. What do you guys think?


They probably want to run it as Continuous Product Development rather than all the overheads of a standalone program - which has implications for resources and resource management.
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 932
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm

gokmengs wrote:
Congrats to Airbus for the orders and the launch of XLR, however is it me or the EIS for XLR is a bit longer than expected, usually variants for airbus takes shorter time to EIS, and we all knew they been working on this for a while we are looking at 3.5 years, thats a long time even for aviation. What do you guys think?

I don't think it is that long because there is some serious engineering work that needs to be done to strengthen the airframe/undercarriage as well as slightly redesigning of the centre fuel tank and the wing. Then there is the testing to be done. Airbus plans to make the A321XLR with similar characteristics to the original A321 Neo.
 
DALCE
Posts: 1897
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:32 pm

Can you please start a seperate thread for the techincal needs, do's & don'ts regarding the XLR. Then we can keep this for news & orders.

Thanks
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,CS3,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.
 
Armadillo1
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:35 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1408445
XLR already discussing here
 
astuteman
Posts: 6840
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:50 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:38 pm

DALCE wrote:
Can you please start a seperate thread for the techincal needs, do's & don'ts regarding the XLR. Then we can keep this for news & orders.

Thanks


Good shout.
Thread already exists

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1408445

Rgds
 
User avatar
LockheedBBD
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:58 pm

OA940 wrote:
That's great to hear. Also the A330neo looks so hot in VS colours. Let's hope we see an airline order for the A220 now ;D


I'm surprised nobody has mentioned ALC's order for 50 A220-300s: https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... 21xlr.html

Le Bourget – Air Lease Corporation (ALC) (NYSE: AL), the Los Angeles-based aircraft leasing company, has signed a Letter of Intent (LoI) for 100 Airbus aircraft, including for the first time 50 A220-300s and 27 A321XLRs.

 
LifelinerOne
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:30 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:01 pm

The order for 4 A321XLRs by MEA is now confirmed. They are not conversions, so MEA now has a total of 15 A321neo-variants on order:

https://twitter.com/scramble_nl/status/ ... 1770051584

Cheers! :wave:
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes
 
T4thH
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:05 pm

LockheedBBD wrote:
OA940 wrote:
That's great to hear. Also the A330neo looks so hot in VS colours. Let's hope we see an airline order for the A220 now ;D


I'm surprised nobody has mentioned ALC's order for 50 A220-300s: https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... 21xlr.html

Le Bourget – Air Lease Corporation (ALC) (NYSE: AL), the Los Angeles-based aircraft leasing company, has signed a Letter of Intent (LoI) for 100 Airbus aircraft, including for the first time 50 A220-300s and 27 A321XLRs.



Please check post 20 in this thread:
Air Lease orders 23 A321LR + 27 A321XLR + 50 A220-300.

Everyone is just happy, to have seen the first A220-300 order, which is a little bi unexpected (as by lease company)and than also an according high one with 50. But this is still just a MOU (so still not a firm order).
 
User avatar
sassiciai
Posts: 1066
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: Paris Air Show 2019: Airbus News and Orders Thread

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:06 pm

LSZH34 wrote:
finnishway wrote:
sabby wrote:
I can see Finnair and SAS order some A321XLR for Asia routes.


Finnair will most likely order A321XLR and they are interested in it, but not for their Asia routes.

Just a few weeks ago AY's CEO said in the Finnish media that using narrowbody aircraft on the routes to China for example is not smart thing to from business point of view. This is because Russian overfly rights cost are same for every aircraft despite the number of passengers. So why fly narrowbody and pay the same price, when you can fly widebody and in the case of Finnair probably fill even more seats than narrowbody can.

AY is looking A321XLR for example more flights to North America. Toronto and Boston are possibilities for this kind of routes.


And maybe canaries. Up to 6.5 hrs flight time

This aircraft is all about fish from Iceland. Where do canaries fit in to the equation?

Are these canaries you talk about coming in the return direction of the fish, or do they come from the Canary Islands? :D
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos