Web
Topic Author
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:56 am

GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:25 pm

GRR announcing two new routes tomorrow, per their Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/FlyGRFord/status/11 ... 6534685696

Any ideas? Personally I'd love to see BOS & JFK on DL (or B6).
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Spirit recently had GRR listed on their destinations section along with SRQ and SAT, only to be removed a few hours later. Perhaps MCO & LAS-GRR on Spirit.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
LHUSA
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:15 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:37 pm

GRR-SFO on UA would be cool, but it won't happen
 
StrandedAtMKG
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:37 pm

My money's on additional destinations on Allegiant, since G4 just opened a base there. Not sure what the new destinations would be, but probably second-tier sun cities. Nothing to get excited about, unfortunately.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:39 pm

NK or G4 to leisure destinations
 
N592NW
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:26 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
My money's on additional destinations on Allegiant, since G4 just opened a base there. Not sure what the new destinations would be, but probably second-tier sun cities. Nothing to get excited about, unfortunately.


I agree. I think MYR and probably VPS. The airport normally calls it a major air service announcement if anything special is to be announced . It would be great to have Spirit though...
 
N592NW
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:28 pm

It is confirmed they will be sun destinations. GRR replied that both have weather that is in the 80s and sunny today.
 
N292UX
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:35 pm

F9's dartboard may have spoken.

Or G4 is launching something. I don't think it'll be NK... Yet.
 
N292UX
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:35 pm

F9's dartboard may have spoken.

Or G4 is launching something. I don't think it'll be NK... Yet.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:50 pm

N592NW wrote:
It is confirmed they will be sun destinations. GRR replied that both have weather that is in the 80s and sunny today.
Not sunny here in Orlando, but it's 85 right now with a breeze and cloudy.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:54 pm

flymco753 wrote:
N592NW wrote:
It is confirmed they will be sun destinations. GRR replied that both have weather that is in the 80s and sunny today.
Not sunny here in Orlando, but it's 85 right now with a breeze and cloudy.


Maybe MYR? VPS? Also Allegiant already serves Orlando Sanford to GRR.
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Could it be somewhere in the LA area?
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
flyfresno
Posts: 837
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:15 pm

GRR has been doing really well lately!
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4149
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:26 am

Looks like JAX and MSY
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
rufusmi
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Looks like JAX and MSY


Source? G4?
 
BenflysDTW
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:39 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:06 am

GRR has a lot of options to Florida given its size, but it shouldn’t come as to much of a surprise. I think it will be NK tomorrow, and I think that they do some of their route announcements on Tuesdays. GRR may have more capacity to SRQ than DTW has, which is interesting but shows slack at DTW. F9 has service to TPA, which DTW does not, as well as PHX in which DTW-PHX was later dropped by F9. GRR is a fantastic airport, and if it is indeed NK then I wonder what gate they would use. I expect more from G4 in the future, and both MSY and JAX are high possibilities.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2891
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:21 am

rufusmi wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Looks like JAX and MSY


Source? G4?


They are on G4s website starting october. Assuming those are new.
 
msycajun
Posts: 1061
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:04 am

Jshank83 wrote:
rufusmi wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Looks like JAX and MSY


Source? G4?


They are on G4s website starting october. Assuming those are new.


Yep, those are new routes. Certainly not a route I expected to see, but hopefully a success!
 
N592NW
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:00 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Looks like JAX and MSY


https://thepointsguy.com/news/allegiant ... expansion/

This makes ten airports served for at least part of the year in Florida. The only part that isn’t covered is Northwest Florida. MSY interests me a lot more. Hopefully these routes work.
 
Web
Topic Author
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:56 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:14 pm

While I'm not surprised it's G4, these are two routes I would not have predicted. But if GRR is a new base for them, I guess we can expect them to try more second-tier leisure destinations.

In other Michigan air service news, G4 also announced TVC to PIE, PGD, and SFB, also starting in October.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ns-458930/
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:06 pm

 
StrandedAtMKG
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:17 pm

BenflysDTW wrote:
I expect more from G4 in the future, and both MSY and JAX are high possibilities.


You, sir, get a cookie.
 
StrandedAtMKG
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:23 pm

Web wrote:
While I'm not surprised it's G4, these are two routes I would not have predicted. But if GRR is a new base for them, I guess we can expect them to try more second-tier leisure destinations.

In other Michigan air service news, G4 also announced TVC to PIE, PGD, and SFB, also starting in October.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ns-458930/


I think we all knew the new GRR routes would be G4. They just opened a new base there, so expansion was inevitable. However, I assumed the FL route would be VPS, and I didn't see MSY coming in a million years. Laissez les bon temps roulez, I guess.

I might be totally off-base, but I can't see the TVC routes being successful. Yeah, there's a lot of money floating around TVC and Northern Michigan, but people are going *to* TVC, not *from* TVC to anywhere. I can't imagine an airport with <200,000 annual passengers being able to support three new routes to FL, especially when people from the southern half of the state can just drive to GRR, LAN, FNT, or DTW to catch a flight.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5827
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:33 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
I might be totally off-base, but I can't see the TVC routes being successful. Yeah, there's a lot of money floating around TVC and Northern Michigan, but people are going *to* TVC, not *from* TVC to anywhere. I can't imagine an airport with <200,000 annual passengers being able to support three new routes to FL, especially when people from the southern half of the state can just drive to GRR, LAN, FNT, or DTW to catch a flight.


It's not the southern half of Michigan they're trying to serve. Northern Michigan has had a lack of LCC service. TVC-SFB should do fine. PGD may work as an alternative to RSM, which is popular with Michiganders.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7321
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:
I might be totally off-base, but I can't see the TVC routes being successful. Yeah, there's a lot of money floating around TVC and Northern Michigan, but people are going *to* TVC, not *from* TVC to anywhere. I can't imagine an airport with <200,000 annual passengers being able to support three new routes to FL, especially when people from the southern half of the state can just drive to GRR, LAN, FNT, or DTW to catch a flight.


It's not the southern half of Michigan they're trying to serve. Northern Michigan has had a lack of LCC service. TVC-SFB should do fine. PGD may work as an alternative to RSM, which is popular with Michiganders.

There is enough of a year-round population in TVC and Northern Michigan as a whole that can support less-than-daily G4 ULCC Florida service.
TVC and Northwest Michigan is a huge retirement destination as well for the Great Lakes region, and not uncommon for any of the snowbirds to travel to Florida to escape the long winters.
Plus, it wouldn't surprise me that G4 already had some good data on the amount of traffic they were getting in GRR and FNT from Northern Michigan residents.
TVC has some of the highest airfare in the country and all Florida service currently requires a connection.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:42 am

I'll be using the SFB-TVC flight on occasion, my grandparents live by Higgins Lake during the summer so it's only a 45 minute drive to Cherry Capital.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
SkyVoice
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: GRR to Announce Two New Routes on 18Jun

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:01 am

flyfresno wrote:
GRR has been doing really well lately!


You ain't kidding! I was just through GRR, a quick in-and-out trip for family business back on June 6-8, on Southwest. I was amazed at the loads on both the inbound & outbound flights. There were very few empty seats on both flights. It is obvious that GRR is the air hub for West Michigan, although I'm a bit sad (but not surprised) to see smaller airports like MKG & MBL languish for lack of service.

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
You, sir, get a cookie.


That's it! Midwest Express / Skyways will be rebooted & GRR will be one of their first destinations! If not, well, I'll settle for a chocolate chip cookie.
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos