AlexBrewster03

Re: And the Skytrax airline of the year is ..

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
I can justify something that each airlines does not deserve to be on the top list:

1. Qatar Airways (2) - 3-3-3 on 787
2. Singapore Airlines (1) - 3-3-3 on 787
3. ANA (3) - no meals on domestic flights
4. Cathay Pacific (6) - 3-4-3 on 777
5. Emirates (4) - 3-4-3 on 777
6. EVA (5) - 3-4-3 on 777
7. Hainan (8) - 3-3-3 on 787
8. Qantas (11) - 3-3-3 on 787
9. Lufthansa (7) - no lie-flat business class
10. Thai Airways (10) - no service to US

Don’t forget Emirates abysmal 2x3x2 or 2x2x2 business class on the 777s.

zakuivcustom

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:07 pm

DC1979 wrote:
Based on that criteria, hardly anyone would qualify. Also, how does no service to the US negate being the one of top airlines in the world? I didn’t realize service to the US was mandatory to make that list.

Indeed...according to his (or her) criteria, you can eliminate:
1. Any airline (outside of JAL) that operates 787.
2. JAL can be eliminated also, b/c apparently serving a meal on some 1.5hr domestic sectors in Y is VERY important (JAL do serve meal in Domestic First on "trunk" route, but not in Class-J). Plus they have 3-4-3 777 for domestic flight.
3. 90% of 777 operators.
4. Any airlines that doesn't fly in US (Seriously, when does THIS matter?). Regardless, TG has 3-3-3 787 anyway.

Let see...Lufthansa should qualify (Do they serve meal on intra-Europe flight? Of course, the OP can always complain about Eurobusiness). After that, Hong Kong Airlines (#24), Iberia (#26), Asiana (#28), Finnair (#32). Yep, 5 out of 30+ airlines.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

kq747

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
I can justify something that each airlines does not deserve to be on the top list:

Then please tell us who are these faultless airlines that merit the top spots?

hoons90

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:17 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

Let see...Lufthansa should qualify (Do they serve meal on intra-Europe flight? Of course, the OP can always complain about Eurobusiness)

Eurobusiness is not bad at all. Flew LH eurobusiness last year, and really appreciated having lounge access at MUC and a very nice cold meal on a 50 minute flight. The empty middle seat makes a huge difference, too.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

zakuivcustom

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Eurobusiness is not bad at all. Flew LH eurobusiness last year, and really appreciated having lounge access at MUC and a very nice cold meal on a 50 minute flight. The empty middle seat makes a huge difference, too.

I'm just trying to come up with things that your average flyers apparently don't care about, but the OP does anyway.

Actually, I had Iberia and Finnair on there, but IIRC neither serve a meal on intra-Europe sectors anyway (at least in Y). So Lufthansa (#9), Hong Kong Airlines (#24), and Asiana (#28) being Top 3? HX doesn't have lie flats on their A320s, and Asiana certainly won't have lie flat on those GMP-CJU flights (Some planes are all-Y also). LH doesn't have lie-flats on their short-haul planes, either. So I guess none of them qualify either?

xwb777
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:12 pm

AlexBrewster03 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Don’t forget Emirates abysmal 2x3x2 or 2x2x2 business class on the 777s.

Emirates B777Xs will have a new Business class configuration and new seats.

ITSTours

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:28 pm

hoons90 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Let see...Lufthansa should qualify (Do they serve meal on intra-Europe flight? Of course, the OP can always complain about Eurobusiness)

This is sarcasm right? I laughed out loud. If not then... well...

ericalexandre76

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:29 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
ericalexandre76 wrote:
Smart business decision by airlines to pay Skytrax if that is actually how this list is generated, the revenue generated by flyers who make their airline choices aided by this list probably surpasses whatever fee the airlines paid to Skytrax.

And it is always entertaining to see people on here denigrate Skytrax :)

You do realize that your first sentence actually reinforces the feeling about Skytrax and goes against your last sentence???

How does my first sentence in which I state it may be smart for airlines to pay Skytrax to be featured and perhaps generate more revenue from passengers who give Skytrax rankings credence go against my last sentence where I state it is entertaining to see members of this site denigrate Skytrax?

I personally don't care about Skytrax, had never heard of it until I saw people on here make fun of it whenever the Skytrax rankings come out. But again and more importantly to airlines, the revenue generated by being listed in Skytrax probably surpasses the fee paid by airlines to Skytrax, and I doubt airlines much care about what people on Airliners.net think of Skytrax.

WayexTDI

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:44 pm

ericalexandre76 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
ericalexandre76 wrote:
Smart business decision by airlines to pay Skytrax if that is actually how this list is generated, the revenue generated by flyers who make their airline choices aided by this list probably surpasses whatever fee the airlines paid to Skytrax.

And it is always entertaining to see people on here denigrate Skytrax :)

You do realize that your first sentence actually reinforces the feeling about Skytrax and goes against your last sentence???

How does my first sentence in which I state it may be smart for airlines to pay Skytrax to be featured and perhaps generate more revenue from passengers who give Skytrax rankings credence go against my last sentence where I state it is entertaining to see members of this site denigrate Skytrax?

I personally don't care about Skytrax, had never heard of it until I saw people on here make fun of it whenever the Skytrax rankings come out. But again and more importantly to airlines, the revenue generated by being listed in Skytrax probably surpasses the fee paid by airlines to Skytrax, and I doubt airlines much care about what people on Airliners.net think of Skytrax.

Because you're saying that Skytrax is nothing but a pay-for-rating; this is what people on here are saying and have been saying for years.
If it's a pay-for-rating, then it's worthless.

LAXdude1023

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 pm

AirwayBill wrote:
Emirates above EVA is for sure one of the biggest jokes of this ranking.

Not to mention the punished TK and overrated LH.

Can't believe this scam agency is still getting that much coverage and credibility.

Ive flown EK and BR and I like BR wayyy more. They are one of my favorite carriers to fly.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

Ziyulu

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:15 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Stop doing everyone a disservice by spreading false information.
ANA does serve meals on domestic flights in J, and Lufthansa has lie-flat business class seats on all long haul aircraft. They phased out the angled ones at least two years ago.

AA, UA, and DL serves meals on one hour flights in first class, so that makes them better than ANA, right?

Ziyulu

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:20 pm

I was trying to say no airline is perfect. But there are a few on the bottom of the list that definitely deserve better.

WayexTDI

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:32 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

ANA does serve meals on domestic flights in J, and Lufthansa has lie-flat business class seats on all long haul aircraft. They phased out the angled ones at least two years ago.

AA, UA, and DL serves meals on one hour flights in first class, so that makes them better than ANA, right?

You don't need a meal on 1-hour flights; not even on 3- or 4-hour flights. If you do, it's for medical reasons, in which case it's not the airline's responsibility.

Ziyulu

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:40 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

You don't need a meal on 1-hour flights; not even on 3- or 4-hour flights. If you do, it's for medical reasons, in which case it's not the airline's responsibility.

It's this type of mentality that causes an airline to go down in ranking.

WayexTDI

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:45 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

It's this type of mentality that causes an airline to go down in ranking.

Why? You can't go an hour or two without feeling the need to stuff your face???
If you cannot go for a few hours without eating, that's a medical condition that you, and only you, need to prepare for; the airline is not here to babysit you and handle your medical conditions.

Ziyulu

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Then tell me why no 5 star carriers have BOB?

triple3driver

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Ideally, random passengers should be given rating cards in each class on an airline or at an airport, with scores spanning several categories, and then an average score should be given, and then take the average score of all of these rankings and see how it stacks up against other airlines. That's my opinion, at least
If you can walk away from it intact, it was a good landing!

hoons90

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:13 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

ANA also serves meals on 1 hour domestic flights in J. How long do you think HND-ITM takes?

AA, DL and UA serves meals on 1 hour domestic flights? Sure, if passing around a snack basket counts as having a meal service...
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

Ziyulu

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:15 pm

What about Y class for domestic in Japan? You get nothing but a cup of water, juice, or tea.

Ziyulu

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 pm

CA, MU, CZ, and HU serve hot meals on domestic flights in China in Y. The flight times can be as little as 1.5 hours.

hoons90

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:24 pm

ITSTours wrote:

Nope. Lounge access (with showers) is a big deal for me, especially if you're connecting from a long haul flight.
Premium classes in the US gets you a wider seat with more recline and legroom, but it doesn't come with lounge access (except on JFK-LAX/SFO), and the threshold for meal service is higher (900mi on AA for example).
On the other hand, Euro business still gives you extra width (through empty middle seat), lounge access and a proper meal service even on a short flight like MUC-ZRH/TXL etc. The only negative things are the limited legroom and recline, but most intra-Europe flights have a shorter stage length anyways.
If I had to fly it on a route like MUC-TBS? Maybe I'd have a different opinion. But I find it acceptable for shorter flights.

hoons90

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:36 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
CA, MU, CZ, and HU serve hot meals on domestic flights in China in Y. The flight times can be as little as 1.5 hours.

Good for them. There are certain metrics that certain airlines excel at, but it doesn't necessarily make them the best airline. Catering standards aren't the be-all-and-end-all.

I've flown CA short haul before, and I would commend them for serving a meal on a 1.5h flight if the food actually tasted good.

usdcaguy

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:56 pm

xwb777 wrote:
27. Turkish Airways (18)
/

Seems like a huge a.net faux-pas to call THY Turkish Airways and not Turkish Airlines, which has been in use for decades. Meanwhile, I'm not sure what RJ did to get #97. They're a perfectly fine carrier to me, and they run on time.

WayexTDI

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
What about Y class for domestic in Japan? You get nothing but a cup of water, juice, or tea.

What else do you need?

zakuivcustom

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:45 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

Well, you can always get a beer for like 500Yen.

Speaking of ANA, you used to be able to get the bento box they serve in Premium Class in Y for an extra fee. They ended that in 2017, probably bc it is not being used all that much anyway. If anything, stuff like Free Wi-Fi is probably more important nowaday anyway.

Ziyulu wrote:

Good for them. Doesn’t make MU or CA service otherwise any better. At least HU tried.

ITSTours

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:02 pm

hoons90 wrote:
ITSTours wrote:

Nope. Lounge access (with showers) is a big deal for me, especially if you're connecting from a long haul flight.
Premium classes in the US gets you a wider seat with more recline and legroom, but it doesn't come with lounge access (except on JFK-LAX/SFO), and the threshold for meal service is higher (900mi on AA for example).
On the other hand, Euro business still gives you extra width (through empty middle seat), lounge access and a proper meal service even on a short flight like MUC-ZRH/TXL etc. The only negative things are the limited legroom and recline, but most intra-Europe flights have a shorter stage length anyways.
If I had to fly it on a route like MUC-TBS? Maybe I'd have a different opinion. But I find it acceptable for shorter flights.

OK, I see where you are coming from.
That is probably one of the reasons why European carriers are ranked higher for service even with that Eurobusiness compared to American carriers.
(Also European lounges are typically way better than American lounges)
If you only compare European and American carriers, though.

centrair

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:10 pm

I’ve started to question Skytrax a lot as well.
There needs to be a rival system that is more transparent about how the do the ranking but secretive when they try out products so that the airline management and crew don’t treat them any differently.

Set up some families to do the work to see how the crew treats them. How about some underdressed college students! Really throw wrenches in the system and see how it works out.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

AEROFAN

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:17 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

You scared me there for a minute about Lufthansa. Thanks for the confirmation. I know its J class is nothing to write home about, but I did think it did have flat beds. I have a trip to Berlin later in the year that I'm now firming up and I was just going to avoid LH. I still may, as I can take SQ to Frankfurt from NYC and make my way to Berlin...

J343

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:45 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

You cant really judge their worthiness based on the seating configuration or whether they serve the US or not. Whilst I agree that some of the airlines on the list deserves to be in the top 10, Skytrax' credibility had been in question for years.

1. Qatar - I would avoid their B788 at all cost. Most of my worst economy flights are with Qatar on their B788 but purely due to the fact that the seats are too hard and narrow. But the service I get on a 6hr flight from LHR-DOH is top notch.

2. Singapore - Their service in economy is very inconsistent. Some of their crew can be very snotty towards you. I avoid their oldest B777s. Food is nothing to write about but their customer service is top notch as well as their ground services.

3. ANA - Good business class product but I avoid their economy class at all cost. Crew are a hit and missm IFE is meg.

4. Cathay Pacific - Possibly one of the airlines that really stands out to me but I'm not saying they are perfect. Their crew can be a hit and miss but on the very rare occasion. Their IFE is top notch, food is slightly better than SQ. Economy class product and service is superb. Premium economy is where Cathay Pacific falls, you pay a premium for Y class catering. First and Business Class is very solid and consistent. Ground staff and handling is outstanding. Lounges are outstanding and possibly the best especially their HKG and LHR lounges.

5. Emirates - Tight seats, great IFE, awful ground and airport service and handling. Lounge is okay.

6. EVA Air - Hit and miss crew but product in business and economy are pretty solid. Great amenities even in economy. Food is good. I find their service to be better than Emirates and ANA but not as good as Qatar and Cathay Pacific.

7. Hainan - Not flown with them

8. Qantas - Crew are possibly one of the friendliest in the skies. Food is good, service is outstanding and consistent. IFE is great. I find their Premium Economy product to be one of the very best, a lot better than Cathay Pacific. Their economy class product is also good. Ground and airport staff service is outstanding. I really like their new business class.

9. Lufthansa - American Airlines has better TATL product. I find American Airlines to have a more superior economy premium economy and business class product. Lufthansa's service is good, their crew are a hit and miss. Their lounges are outstanding.

10. Thai - I've not flown with them.

Just my opinion.

unitedewr737

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:04 pm

The list of the top 100 I have questioned for a long time, mostly because I don’t know the criteria. I find the value in Skytrax if you dig into each individual award, best in each class and the subsections in each class. Those decisions make a lot more sense to me and is what people should go based on. I don’t know if the whole payment scam thing is legit but it wouldn’t surprise me. The degrading of Etihad was questionable but financial stability I guess is important given possible reliability issues. More specifically I think that United winning best business lounge for the SFO Polaris lounge was well deserved, I have spent significant time there in addition to those of many other airlines elsewhere in the world and it truly is one of if not the best.

ACCS300

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:47 pm

AC is best North American again!

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/special-offers/skytrax.html?icid=int:intr:skytrax::061819::bannerachome|caen

AC has really upped their game with a very consistent J product and the Signature Service re-brand.

in Y all narrow-bodies have AVOD and a very consistent product overall, their BOB is one of the best too IMO, good selection and full hot-meals too.

eamondzhang

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:55 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

ANA for Pete's sake also serves meal in domestic First class, so what's the point? CN3 is the best right?

And Lufthansa has lie-flat C on long-haul, your info is probably 5 years out of date.

And as others said, why does it matter if airlines serve US or not? US is not the centre of the world.

Michael

jetwet1

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:15 am

Aceskywalker wrote:
J343 wrote:
AC77X wrote:
Philippine Airlines jumped 19 ranks, replacing Air Canada as #30 (AC dropped to #31). I've never flown them, are they good enough to jump 19 ranks?

Ive never flown with either but im suspecting PR's heavy advertising of their '4 Star' rating helped massively. Looking at AC and PRs hard product, AC has a better one imo. Obviously service differs, PR might have better service than AC.

Recent reviews of PR's product, especially on the A359 all agree on PR being an up and coming airline. Things holding PR back are the abysmal experience on the ground in Manila, and delays that earn the airline the snide saying of "PAL stands for planes always late"

Yep, just flew with them in J, good product, great crew, I just hope they can keep it up until reaching critical mass. The flights were actually cheaper than the big Chinese airlines and on such a long flight it's hard to see how they are making money, but, having taken a CX j flight a couple of months ago, I would easily compare the current PR to them.

aviationaware

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:41 am

Ah, the corruption perception index is on again. Just a note, you have to read it from the back for it to make sense.

aviationaware

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:45 am

xwb777 wrote:

Emirates B777Xs will have a new Business class configuration and new seats.

Which is completely irrelevant for their "score" for 2019.

speedbird52

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:17 am

Ziyulu wrote:

Lufthansa have had fully flat seats across their fleet for years now

Ziyulu

Re: Qatar Airways named Skytrax airline of the year

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:52 pm

I meant to say Lufthansa has 18" width seats and 31" pitch on European business class. That is not 5 star service.

hoons90

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:04 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
I meant to say Lufthansa has 18" width seats and 31" pitch on European business class. That is not 5 star service.

If you truly meant European business class, why on earth would you bring up "lie-flat business class" in your original post? Did you really expect LH to have lie-flat seats in intra-Europe business class? Sounds like a cop-out to me.

Also, while I agree that Lufthansa shouldn't be 5-star, their Eurobusiness product is comparable to what virtually every other European airline offers (with very few exceptions such as SU). Width isn't a big deal if there's a guaranteed empty seat next to you. Maybe you have a point if the seat has an immovable armrest, but mine didn't.

ChrisEtihad272

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:29 pm

you americans are just salty because your airlines are terrible, way way behind any asian and arabic airlines and even behind BA by a long way.

GlobalAirways

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:17 pm

I've never really understood how this whole thing works. Is it based on statistics or subjective review? Also, how can an airline be rated 5 star but stand at #28 on the top 100. I'm really asking because I can't figure it out?
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone

huaiwei

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

As does Sri Lankan. They must be a five-star airline.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com ... ss-flight/
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

Ziyulu

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:13 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

If you truly meant European business class, why on earth would you bring up "lie-flat business class" in your original post? Did you really expect LH to have lie-flat seats in intra-Europe business class? Sounds like a cop-out to me.

Also, while I agree that Lufthansa shouldn't be 5-star, their Eurobusiness product is comparable to what virtually every other European airline offers (with very few exceptions such as SU). Width isn't a big deal if there's a guaranteed empty seat next to you. Maybe you have a point if the seat has an immovable armrest, but mine didn't.

Well, some routes that are 5 to 6 hours long do not have lie flat. AA, UA, and DL have lie flat on transcontinental routes.

huaiwei

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:31 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Well, some routes that are 5 to 6 hours long do not have lie flat. AA, UA, and DL have lie flat on transcontinental routes.

Congratulations! So are these three airlines providing five-star service?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

Pudelhund

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:12 am

I don't see how an airline that provides this level of incompetence and shady behavior to first class and business class passengers and terrible customer service in general can be called the best airline in the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOyd9Ci6x_g

SkyTrax is definitely a total joke.

Ziyulu

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:26 am

huaiwei wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Congratulations! So are these three airlines providing five-star service?

You gotta be kidding me, right?
- No meals on domestic flights with some flights being 9 hours long
- Baggage fees
- Charge for alcohol on some international flights

FlyHappy

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:59 am

Ziyulu wrote:

I was on a 2hr 5m flight, DL first class (752) 3 days ago. No meal.

hoons90

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:04 am

Ziyulu wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
[quote="Ziyulu"

Only on a select few routes. Does AA offer lie-flat on routes like BDL-LAX? What about UA on EWR-PDX?
If you want to cherry pick a select few AA, UA and DL routes with lie-flat, then I can do the same for LH, which offers lie-flat seats on some 5 hour flights like FRA-JED and KWI.

Ziyulu

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:55 am

hoons90 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
[quote="Ziyulu"

Only on a select few routes. Does AA offer lie-flat on routes like BDL-LAX? What about UA on EWR-PDX?
If you want to cherry pick a select few AA, UA and DL routes with lie-flat, then I can do the same for LH, which offers lie-flat seats on some 5 hour flights like FRA-JED and KWI.

That's why I was saying none of these airlines deserve to be ranked in the top 10.

Ziyulu

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:55 am

Yes, I agree LH is a lot better than what we get here in the U.S.

uconn99

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:53 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
[quote="Ziyulu"

BDL-LAX is on a 737-800 so no lie-flat in first.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos