LAXintl
Topic Author

United - Vistara form codeshare, frequent flyer benefits

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:01 pm

A bit of a slap in face of Star partner AI.

United Airlines and Vistara Establish Codeshare Agreement

United Airlines today announced it has entered into a new alliance agreement with New Delhi-based airline, Vistara. The agreement, effective in Fall 2019, further expands United's global route network to more than 20 destinations throughout India. United currently operates more nonstop service to India than any other U.S. carrier.

In addition to convenient, one-stop connections to more than 20 destinations from Mumbai and New Delhi, the new United/Vistara alliance agreement enables United customers traveling from the United States with a seamless travel experience including:

o Connecting flight opportunities from Mumbai and New Delhi further enhances United's network offering from its U.S. hubs in New York/Newark and San Francisco.
o Reciprocal frequent flyer benefits – United MileagePlus members earn and redeem frequent flyer miles on all Vistara routes and Vistara's Club Vistara members earn and redeem frequent flyer miles on all Vistara and United routes.
o United will place its UA* marketing code on more than 20 routes operated by Vistara (subject to government approval).
o Coordinated United and Vistara customer service.
o Single ticket booking and checked baggage to the customer's final destination.

https://hub.united.com/2019-06-18-unite ... 04487.html
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

janders

Re: United - Vistara form codeshare, frequent flyer benefits

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Well that reduces chance Delta will be able to partner with Vistara for its upcoming India service.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

jayunited

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:37 pm

janders wrote:
Well that reduces chance Delta will be able to partner with Vistara for its upcoming India service.

Exactly I don' t think this was so much as a slap in the face to AI as it was UA trying to beat DL to the punch as many on A.netters thought DL would try to partner up with Vistara.

There are also unconfirmed rumors (stress rumors) that UA in late 2020 or early 2021 is looking to launch service from EWR to a new destination in India. Take it with a grain of salt but if these rumors are true having multiple airline partners would only help UA grow its presence in India. I think UA and many other Star Alliance partners would get closer with AI if/when they finally get their house together. Whatever UA's strategy is for future growth to India UA can keep waiting for AI to get their act together so for now UA will codeshare with Vistara.

huaiwei

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:47 pm

UA and Vistara?

The irony is that Vistara is 49% owned by.....SQ. UA's best friend in the Far East. :D
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

x1234

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:56 pm

jayunited, what's that India destination? I can only imagine it'd be BLR (Bangalore) as HYD (Hyderabad) and MAA (Chennai) are lower yielding. Though I wish UA would start SFO-BOM first.

adamblang

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:19 pm

LAXintl wrote:
A bit of a slap in face of Star partner AI.

huaiwei wrote:
The irony is that Vistara is 49% owned by.....SQ. UA's best friend in the Far East. :D

This just seems like business to me.

SQ and UA have been cooperating more lately. Sure, they compete on the high-profile Singapore-United States routes but over the past year or two they've been increasingly codesharing on each other's local feed and doing a better job of award redemptions on each other's metal.

This move looks more to me like it's (1) serving the Indian market, (2) keeping an advantage over DL, and (3) working with partner SQ than it is (4) about snubbing AI.

I also wouldn't be surprised if UK (Vistara) becomes a Star Connecting Partner.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

UPlog

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:38 pm

Good for United.
Ive heard many positive things about Vistara which is not an LCC but offers full service product.

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:53 pm

There's a lot more to FF benefits than just earn and burn. Baggage allowances, lounge access, preferred seating...

huaiwei

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:59 pm

UPlog wrote:
Good for United.
Ive heard many positive things about Vistara which is not an LCC but offers full service product.

Yes Vistara is offering premium service in fact, and hence tends to go after the business and more well-heeled travellers. The corporate travellers which used to fly Jet mostly migrate to Vistara rather then Indigo or Spice.

As for AI...it is amazing that they even have codeshares.

Coal

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:10 pm

UPlog wrote:
Good for United.

UK's product is very much like MI's, quite good.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

TEMPO

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:16 pm

janders wrote:

I have a British Airways flight coming up that’s an India domestic leg operated by Vistara. I think Vistara is happy to partner with anyone as long as the price is right.

ericm2031

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:05 am

Although this came out of left field, it actually makes a lot of sense considering the SQ connection. Will be interesting to see if there are more changes ahead...

TWA772LR

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:29 am

A good contingency plan for UA if AI isnt satisfactory in their end of the partnership. As mentioned it also makes it harder for DL and AA to find partners in India.

OT but is UAs EWR-DEL service still suspended?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

lutfi

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:31 am

I presume Vistara will be like Bangkok Airways - happy to co-operate with the whole world

dfdubflyer

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:12 am

They have quite a crew of international partner airlines. https://www.airvistara.com/trip/interline-partners
Impressive, too, that BA members earn miles and tier points on them. Obviously SQ is a massive investor but I wonder if Vistara as it grows would remain independent or join an alliance?

dmstorm22

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
OT but is UAs EWR-DEL service still suspended?

Believe it still is at least through June (July as well?)

It's not coming back until the Pakistani airspace is opened to the Indian border.

Pi7472000

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:50 pm

That is great!! United May be number 3 for domestic, but I use them for international as they have the best network for U.S. carriers abroad. Their service is much worse than Delta when flying, but they have a much better international route network than Delta.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:36 pm

TEMPO wrote:
janders wrote:

I have a British Airways flight coming up that’s an India domestic leg operated by Vistara. I think Vistara is happy to partner with anyone as long as the price is right.

I agree with Vistara partnering with just about anyone. SQ partners with AF, why not Vistara with DL too? Caviat, I have no clue as to the contract provisions.

Avoiding AI sends a message. If Vistara flies to FRA and MUC... But that is a far future discussion.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:43 pm

Applied with DOT.

Proposed code-sharing covering the following markets:

BOM - ATQ / BLR / DEL / GOI / HYD
DEL - AMD / ATQ / BBI / BLR / CCU / COK / GAU / GOI / HYD / IXB / IVC / IXJ / IXL / IXR / LKO / MAA / PNQ / RPR / SXR / VNS

OST-2019-0090
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

huaiwei

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:40 pm

lightsaber wrote:
TEMPO wrote:
janders wrote:
Avoiding AI sends a message. If Vistara flies to FRA and MUC... But that is a far future discussion.

Yeap...airlines have realised just about the only airline left in India which can be a reliable codeshare partner while offering reasonable service is Vistara, after the demise of Jet.

It is also the vacuum left behind by Jet which is causing Vistara to consider launching long-haul international services, when would normally have grown more organically with regional international routes first. They will more likely go to the destinations vacated by Jet though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos