Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Morgenstern1234
Topic Author
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 am

China southern starts Vienna

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:22 am

China southern starts on June 18 started Guangzhou-Ürümqi-Vienna 3 weekly with 787 https://onemileatatime.com/china-southe ... na-urumqi/ interesting that this is the first flight between Xinjiang and the EU and China southern third European destinations from Urumqi after Moscow and Saint Petersburg.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:33 am

This means nothing to me ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJeWySiuq1I

Morgenstern1234 wrote:
China southern starts on June 18 started Guangzhou-Ürümqi-Vienna 3 weekly with 787 https://onemileatatime.com/china-southe ... na-urumqi/ interesting that this is the first flight between Xinjiang and the EU and China southern third European destinations from Urumqi after Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

Thanks for the information. Good to know there is now a direct flight to Urumqi. What a pity CZ leaves Skyteam. I wouldn't mind flying with them but if I cannot collect any miles on a trip with them....
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5811
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:00 pm

Are foreigners allowed to visit Ürümqi or is a special permission required?
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:14 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Are foreigners allowed to visit Ürümqi or is a special permission required?

Not for Urumqi (I use the English way to write that name 8-) ) . For theTibet Autonomous Region yes (correct me if I am wrong), but not for Urumqi.
 
Morgenstern1234
Topic Author
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Why does cz have to stop in Urumqi?
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3052
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Morgenstern1234 wrote:
Why does cz have to stop in Urumqi?


I'm not sure about this, but if Vienna is a Tier 1 City, then they don't have the frequencies to fly directly from CAN.
 
Morgenstern1234
Topic Author
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:42 am

Ishrion wrote:
Morgenstern1234 wrote:
Why does cz have to stop in Urumqi?


I'm not sure about this, but if Vienna is a Tier 1 City, then they don't have the frequencies to fly directly from CAN.
maybe because Ürümqi has a lot of domestic connections aswell
 
Iloveboeing
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:02 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:03 am

N14AZ wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Are foreigners allowed to visit Ürümqi or is a special permission required?

Not for Urumqi (I use the English way to write that name 8-) ) . For theTibet Autonomous Region yes (correct me if I am wrong), but not for Urumqi.


In case anyone is wondering: Urumqi in Mandarin is pronounced, "Wulumuqi" (Woo-loo-moo-chee), with tones, of course.

Why VIE? Are there many Mandarin-speaking Austrians? How about German-speaking Chinese?

URC and CAN don't have much German/Austrian influence. The only area in China that has such influence is Qingdao, which was made internationally famous by Qingdao beer (which the Germans taught the Chinese how to make).
 
Morgenstern1234
Topic Author
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Are foreigners allowed to visit Ürümqi or is a special permission required?

Not for Urumqi (I use the English way to write that name 8-) ) . For theTibet Autonomous Region yes (correct me if I am wrong), but not for Urumqi.


In case anyone is wondering: Urumqi in Mandarin is pronounced, "Wulumuqi" (Woo-loo-moo-chee), with tones, of course.

Why VIE? Are there many Mandarin-speaking Austrians? How about German-speaking Chinese?

URC and CAN don't have much German/Austrian influence. The only area in China that has such influence is Qingdao, which was made internationally famous by Qingdao beer (which the Germans taught the Chinese how to make).
even China southern Frankfurt service from Guangzhou to Frankfurt stops in Changsha
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Are foreigners allowed to visit Ürümqi or is a special permission required?

Not for Urumqi (I use the English way to write that name 8-) ) . For theTibet Autonomous Region yes (correct me if I am wrong), but not for Urumqi.


In case anyone is wondering: Urumqi in Mandarin is pronounced, "Wulumuqi" (Woo-loo-moo-chee), with tones, of course.

Why VIE? Are there many Mandarin-speaking Austrians? How about German-speaking Chinese?

URC and CAN don't have much German/Austrian influence. The only area in China that has such influence is Qingdao, which was made internationally famous by Qingdao beer (which the Germans taught the Chinese how to make).


There are lots of Chinese who visit Europe for holidays so quite an outbound market.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1873
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:41 am

Morgenstern1234 wrote:
Why does cz have to stop in Urumqi?

Government subsidies and URC being one of its own hubs that can connect people to/from the entire country.

The flight is performing "well" so far. Outbound from VIE carries some 30 pax on the first flight (the domestic segment is pretty full though).

Michael
 
workhorse
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:35 pm

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:27 pm

URC could be an ideal hub for Europe-China links.

It is just close enough to Europe to be able to make rotations to any European city with one aircraft (7-9 hours).

Also, it lays on the Southern track between Europe and China (anywhere in Europe <-> Moscow <-> Shumerlya <-> Bazarnye Mataki <-> Oktyabrsky <-> Shafranovo <-> Magnitogorsk <-> Kustanay <-> Karagandy <-> Ayagoz <-> Tacheng <-> Fukang <-> Hami <-> anywhere in China). Urumqi is right on this path (near Fukang) and is the last big Chinese city on the way to Europe (or the first on the way from Europe).

With a healthy domestic O&D demand, it has plenty of flights to most Chinese cities at all times of the day.

It would also provide to Europeans a possibility to do a stopover to discover Xinjiang and see that it's not all about religious extremism, terrorism, reeducation camps and whatnot but a vibrant region full of great people, beautiful landscapes and economic opportunities.
 
Morgenstern1234
Topic Author
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:51 am

workhorse wrote:
URC could be an ideal hub for Europe-China links.

It is just close enough to Europe to be able to make rotations to any European city with one aircraft (7-9 hours).

Also, it lays on the Southern track between Europe and China (anywhere in Europe <-> Moscow <-> Shumerlya <-> Bazarnye Mataki <-> Oktyabrsky <-> Shafranovo <-> Magnitogorsk <-> Kustanay <-> Karagandy <-> Ayagoz <-> Tacheng <-> Fukang <-> Hami <-> anywhere in China). Urumqi is right on this path (near Fukang) and is the last big Chinese city on the way to Europe (or the first on the way from Europe).

With a healthy domestic O&D demand, it has plenty of flights to most Chinese cities at all times of the day.

It would also provide to Europeans a possibility to do a stopover to discover Xinjiang and see that it's not all about religious extremism, terrorism, reeducation camps and whatnot but a vibrant region full of great people, beautiful landscapes and economic opportunities.

I predict China Southern will start flights between Ürümqi and London Paris and Amsterdam soon
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:50 am

Is CZ expected to join OW or Star sometime in the future? I've heard CX don't want them to join OW but at least they have landed interline agreement with AA as far as I know
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8493
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:05 pm

workhorse wrote:
URC could be an ideal hub for Europe-China links.

It is just close enough to Europe to be able to make rotations to any European city with one aircraft (7-9 hours).

Also, it lays on the Southern track between Europe and China (anywhere in Europe <-> Moscow <-> Shumerlya <-> Bazarnye Mataki <-> Oktyabrsky <-> Shafranovo <-> Magnitogorsk <-> Kustanay <-> Karagandy <-> Ayagoz <-> Tacheng <-> Fukang <-> Hami <-> anywhere in China). Urumqi is right on this path (near Fukang) and is the last big Chinese city on the way to Europe (or the first on the way from Europe).

With a healthy domestic O&D demand, it has plenty of flights to most Chinese cities at all times of the day.

It would also provide to Europeans a possibility to do a stopover to discover Xinjiang and see that it's not all about religious extremism, terrorism, reeducation camps and whatnot but a vibrant region full of great people, beautiful landscapes and economic opportunities.


Return to the 'fractured demand' thread. Everywhere in Europe is within range of everywhere in China (high altitude airports excepted). Even HKG-LIS is within easy range of a 772 or 339.
You're going down the path of arguing that TATL passengers need to stop in NYC (they don't) or LON (they don't), except that you want them to connect in the equivalent of Porto, a provincial city of little continental economic significance. Airport pairs with decent demand get non-stops.
 
User avatar
huaiwei
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
Why VIE? Are there many Mandarin-speaking Austrians? How about German-speaking Chinese? .

Why on earth do people still persist in thinking there must be some kind of ethnic or cultural connection before a flight exists?

If the Chinese just loves to visit Austria and the surrounding areas, then a flight will be there. Can it not be as simple as that?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3052
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:31 pm

huaiwei wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
Why VIE? Are there many Mandarin-speaking Austrians? How about German-speaking Chinese? .

Why on earth do people still persist in thinking there must be some kind of ethnic or cultural connection before a flight exists?

If the Chinese just loves to visit Austria and the surrounding areas, then a flight will be there. Can it not be as simple as that?


China-Europe has increased a ton over the past few years. LHR, HEL, CDG, they've attracted secondary cities in China.
 
User avatar
huaiwei
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 am

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Ishrion wrote:
huaiwei wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
Why VIE? Are there many Mandarin-speaking Austrians? How about German-speaking Chinese? .

Why on earth do people still persist in thinking there must be some kind of ethnic or cultural connection before a flight exists?

If the Chinese just loves to visit Austria and the surrounding areas, then a flight will be there. Can it not be as simple as that?


China-Europe has increased a ton over the past few years. LHR, HEL, CDG, they've attracted secondary cities in China.

Indeed. And I don't think this has much to do with where the Chinese-speaking diaspora is.
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos