Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Morgenstern1234
Topic Author

China southern starts Vienna

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:22 am

China southern starts on June 18 started Guangzhou-Ürümqi-Vienna 3 weekly with 787 https://onemileatatime.com/china-southe ... na-urumqi/ interesting that this is the first flight between Xinjiang and the EU and China southern third European destinations from Urumqi after Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

N14AZ

Re: China southern starts Vienna

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:33 am

This means nothing to me ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJeWySiuq1I

Morgenstern1234 wrote:
China southern starts on June 18 started Guangzhou-Ürümqi-Vienna 3 weekly with 787 https://onemileatatime.com/china-southe ... na-urumqi/ interesting that this is the first flight between Xinjiang and the EU and China southern third European destinations from Urumqi after Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

Thanks for the information. Good to know there is now a direct flight to Urumqi. What a pity CZ leaves Skyteam. I wouldn't mind flying with them but if I cannot collect any miles on a trip with them....

SCQ83

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:00 pm

Are foreigners allowed to visit Ürümqi or is a special permission required?

N14AZ

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:14 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Not for Urumqi (I use the English way to write that name 8-) ) . For theTibet Autonomous Region yes (correct me if I am wrong), but not for Urumqi.

Morgenstern1234
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Why does cz have to stop in Urumqi?

Ishrion

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Morgenstern1234 wrote:

I'm not sure about this, but if Vienna is a Tier 1 City, then they don't have the frequencies to fly directly from CAN.

Morgenstern1234
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:42 am

Ishrion wrote:
Morgenstern1234 wrote:

I'm not sure about this, but if Vienna is a Tier 1 City, then they don't have the frequencies to fly directly from CAN.
maybe because Ürümqi has a lot of domestic connections aswell

Iloveboeing

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:03 am

N14AZ wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Not for Urumqi (I use the English way to write that name 8-) ) . For theTibet Autonomous Region yes (correct me if I am wrong), but not for Urumqi.

In case anyone is wondering: Urumqi in Mandarin is pronounced, "Wulumuqi" (Woo-loo-moo-chee), with tones, of course.

Why VIE? Are there many Mandarin-speaking Austrians? How about German-speaking Chinese?

URC and CAN don't have much German/Austrian influence. The only area in China that has such influence is Qingdao, which was made internationally famous by Qingdao beer (which the Germans taught the Chinese how to make).

Morgenstern1234
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

In case anyone is wondering: Urumqi in Mandarin is pronounced, "Wulumuqi" (Woo-loo-moo-chee), with tones, of course.

Why VIE? Are there many Mandarin-speaking Austrians? How about German-speaking Chinese?

URC and CAN don't have much German/Austrian influence. The only area in China that has such influence is Qingdao, which was made internationally famous by Qingdao beer (which the Germans taught the Chinese how to make).
even China southern Frankfurt service from Guangzhou to Frankfurt stops in Changsha

NTLDaz

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

There are lots of Chinese who visit Europe for holidays so quite an outbound market.

eamondzhang

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:41 am

Morgenstern1234 wrote:

Government subsidies and URC being one of its own hubs that can connect people to/from the entire country.

The flight is performing "well" so far. Outbound from VIE carries some 30 pax on the first flight (the domestic segment is pretty full though).

Michael

workhorse

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:27 pm

URC could be an ideal hub for Europe-China links.

It is just close enough to Europe to be able to make rotations to any European city with one aircraft (7-9 hours).

Also, it lays on the Southern track between Europe and China (anywhere in Europe <-> Moscow <-> Shumerlya <-> Bazarnye Mataki <-> Oktyabrsky <-> Shafranovo <-> Magnitogorsk <-> Kustanay <-> Karagandy <-> Ayagoz <-> Tacheng <-> Fukang <-> Hami <-> anywhere in China). Urumqi is right on this path (near Fukang) and is the last big Chinese city on the way to Europe (or the first on the way from Europe).

With a healthy domestic O&D demand, it has plenty of flights to most Chinese cities at all times of the day.

It would also provide to Europeans a possibility to do a stopover to discover Xinjiang and see that it's not all about religious extremism, terrorism, reeducation camps and whatnot but a vibrant region full of great people, beautiful landscapes and economic opportunities.

Morgenstern1234
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:51 am

workhorse wrote:

It is just close enough to Europe to be able to make rotations to any European city with one aircraft (7-9 hours).

Also, it lays on the Southern track between Europe and China (anywhere in Europe <-> Moscow <-> Shumerlya <-> Bazarnye Mataki <-> Oktyabrsky <-> Shafranovo <-> Magnitogorsk <-> Kustanay <-> Karagandy <-> Ayagoz <-> Tacheng <-> Fukang <-> Hami <-> anywhere in China). Urumqi is right on this path (near Fukang) and is the last big Chinese city on the way to Europe (or the first on the way from Europe).

With a healthy domestic O&D demand, it has plenty of flights to most Chinese cities at all times of the day.

It would also provide to Europeans a possibility to do a stopover to discover Xinjiang and see that it's not all about religious extremism, terrorism, reeducation camps and whatnot but a vibrant region full of great people, beautiful landscapes and economic opportunities.

I predict China Southern will start flights between Ürümqi and London Paris and Amsterdam soon

upperdeckfan

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:50 am

Is CZ expected to join OW or Star sometime in the future? I've heard CX don't want them to join OW but at least they have landed interline agreement with AA as far as I know
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

MIflyer12

Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:05 pm

workhorse wrote:

Return to the 'fractured demand' thread. Everywhere in Europe is within range of everywhere in China (high altitude airports excepted). Even HKG-LIS is within easy range of a 772 or 339.
You're going down the path of arguing that TATL passengers need to stop in NYC (they don't) or LON (they don't), except that you want them to connect in the equivalent of Porto, a provincial city of little continental economic significance. Airport pairs with decent demand get non-stops.

huaiwei

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
Why VIE? Are there many Mandarin-speaking Austrians? How about German-speaking Chinese? .

Why on earth do people still persist in thinking there must be some kind of ethnic or cultural connection before a flight exists?

If the Chinese just loves to visit Austria and the surrounding areas, then a flight will be there. Can it not be as simple as that?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

Ishrion

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:31 pm

huaiwei wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
Why VIE? Are there many Mandarin-speaking Austrians? How about German-speaking Chinese? .

Why on earth do people still persist in thinking there must be some kind of ethnic or cultural connection before a flight exists?

If the Chinese just loves to visit Austria and the surrounding areas, then a flight will be there. Can it not be as simple as that?

China-Europe has increased a ton over the past few years. LHR, HEL, CDG, they've attracted secondary cities in China.

huaiwei

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Ishrion wrote:
huaiwei wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

China-Europe has increased a ton over the past few years. LHR, HEL, CDG, they've attracted secondary cities in China.

Indeed. And I don't think this has much to do with where the Chinese-speaking diaspora is.
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos